Bannerlord Creative Competition 2: 3D Art Contest

Users who are viewing this thread

f we are limited with 16 crafting pieces, is it fine to make something like 3 types of weapon for different culture, for example 1 for empire, 1 for vlandia and 1 for sturgia, or are we limited for 1 culture of our choice?
Well, we didn't state anywhere that the set needs to be for the same culture. But you should think about the consequences of doing completely different weapons, given this rule:
  • The whole weapon set should be on the same texture map.
We may also take it into account when evaluating the Visuals of your submission as a whole.
Are we not allowed to use on modding tool a native material such as weapon_crafting.mat material for our blade metal?
Not allowed. You should create your own material.

Melee weapons set name: Four Corners Of Earth

Created weapons: 4x TwoHandedSwords: Wolf Of The East (Khuzait), Order Of The South (Aserai), Might Of The North (Sturgian), Legend Of The West (Vlandian)

Work-in-progress screenshots [at least 3]: Idea behind the weapon set is to have craftable 2h swords for four different cultures of the world of Bannerlord. Mesh screenshots are from the Blender viewport, textured screenshots are from the Substance Designer viewport. Those textured meshes are the actual models each being under 4k tris; not highpoly meshes. Blade parts of all swords (and all metal parts of the Khuzait set) have been textured as thamaskene/damascus steel for them being highest tier weapons.

Wolf Of The East: This is a Khuzait 2h sword inspired from Turkic Kilich. Blade starts with a inverse curve but towards the tip, it takes traditional curve of a Kilich with tip sharpened on both sides(top and bottom). Guard is designed to look a bit like a claw slash. Grip is a weaved leather strips continueing the curve of the sword towards to the pommel. Pommel is what gives the sword it's name; a wolf's head.

3FvO551.png
aRn9rvW.png
tei4Ugd.png

AqUUsJO.png

QOEHtTd.png

fy02baB.png

-------------------------
Order Of The South: This one's "inspired" from the famous 2 tipped sword named zulfiqar, the sword of the Hz. Ali. Blade is a straight sword (actual Arabian swords at that time were all straight, can check Topkapı Palace Museum) with splitted tip and a waved design. Guard is following that splitted shapes to fit the theme of the sword. Grip has a metal center part holding 2 wooden parts together. And the pommel ends with jewelry on it.

ppV7fKZ.png
lqIuMSJ.png
Hpzn6wQ.png

mGMk6dK.png

oyRHT8k.png

1QJNdw7.png

Might Of The North: Blade is inspired from Viking seax, an actual short sword. I just thought it'd be awesome to have that blade shape as a big 2hander :smile:. If you look carefully on the guard and the grip; together they look like the mjolnir. So in a way, when using this sword (or those 2 pieces together) you will be holding the hammer. Pommel just follows the design of the middle round part of the grip to fit the whole theme.

ZwQYRW7.png
13ae1Bu.png
Q5P1OP4.png

zQjwsgM.png

X1yqeFD.png

cH2K1cH.png

Legend Of The West: Idea behind this sword was to make something similar to legendary caliburn(sword in the stone). After searching about the sword i find out that it should somehow look like inbetween Celtic and Roman designs. So i decided to model my own version of it, making it fit to the Vlandian theme. For the blade i inspired from Danish greatsword's blade shape but made it wider, so it'd be more suitable for the period of the game. For the guard i started with a triangle shape and ended up with what i have here. Grip is traditional leather wrap with cross wrapped leather splits on it. Pommel is again going with the triangle shape of the guard.

4lsVb6a.png
q4n6KqL.png
xO9CefI.png

E7ElW7q.png

c6rwwMQ.png

AHtxdJs.png

--------------------------

It took 12 different materials for whole set to be completed. All's been merged into 1 set of 4096x4096 Base Color/Normal Map/Specular Map textures.

U2HdDQE.png
MrRsm4H.png
36ewpew.png
ht9Tfiy.png

Note 1: For Scabbards; i used what extra polycounts left from each sword's 4k tris-limit to model them, couldn't even have enough polycount to make one for the Khuzait sword. So shapes and designs are not as good and detailed as i wanted, but i think they'll do the job :smile:

Note 2: You can see poly counts of each sword on the top left side of the screenshots. Look for the "triangles" UPDATE: Some of the meshes' polycount have been changed for small fixes; but all are still under the 4k for each weapon.

UPDATE:

Got them in Bannerlord. Modified some of the meshes to make all of the mod's pieces competable with all(most if not) native crafting pieces as well. Also moved gripping point of all swords of the mod, towards to the guard for 5cm (which made total reaches shorter) so 2handling those swords looks more natural and correct.

Also took a video showing they are craftable from the start with new with characters with quick smithing screen showcase; and then a detailed showcase, showing how they look in smithing screen & in third person view in a town.

------------------------
Questions:

1- I know Bannerlord is using PBR textures, but is it metallic or glossiness way? To put it simply, i know what diffuse and normal maps are; but what this specular map actually is? Is it glossiness map, or some kind of merged maskes group stored in RGB channels? My question is how can i convert my traditional Albedo/Diffuse & Normal map & Metallic and Roughness maps into this Diffuse/Normal/Specular maps? Just need some infos about how engine reads textures/materials.

2- I think for collision Bannerlord uses something named "bo_xxx", might be wrong though. How should i create my collision meshes for weapons? Like having "bo_khuzait_wolf_grip_mesh" named collision mesh modeled and exported with the base mesh can work directly? Or should i set those collision shapes in a different way? (maybe they are being created automaticly inside the modding tool?) Would be wonderful to have some instructions showing the correct way to create collision meshes for craftable pieces. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Melee weapons set name: Swords of Nations
Created weapons: 3x OneHandedSword
Work-in-progress screenshots [at least 3]:

vinNmYy.png
2zLBQRj.png
26EYoov.png
qGIVyLt.png
q8dktSb.png
HaTf9lX.png

Completed set screenshots:
1aIVlQN.png
4gltgJg.png
p3PKQW6.png

1- I know Bannerlord is using PBR textures, but is it metallic or glossiness way? To put it simply, i know what diffuse and normal maps are; but what this specular map actually is? Is it glossiness map, or some kind of merged maskes group stored in RGB channels? My question is how can i convert my traditional Albedo/Diffuse & Normal map & Metallic and Roughness maps into this Diffuse/Normal/Specular maps? Just need some infos about how engine reads textures/materials.
Yes, they are packed into the specular texture as RGB channels. If they are using the pbr_metallic workflow, the RGB channels translate into: Metalness, Glossiness, AO.
2- I think for collision Bannerlord uses something named "bo_xxx", might be wrong though. How should i create my collision meshes for weapons? Like having "bo_khuzait_wolf_grip_mesh" named collision mesh modeled and exported with the base mesh can work directly? Or should i set those collision shapes in a different way? (maybe they are being created automaticly inside the modding tool?) Would be wonderful to have some instructions showing the correct way to create collision meshes for craftable pieces. Thanks in advance.
There are two types of weapons. Crafted and non-crafted. For non-crafted weapons, we write the weapon's body name to XML. For crafted weapons, we have the crafting pieces. Each crafting piece has its dimension properties. By using the dimension data of every piece of the weapon the engine generates the body.

Alright, done. R - Metalness, EDIT: G - Glossiness, B - Ambient Occlussion as special Specular map, thanks @Dejan . Not much of a coder but i will try my best to get the collision right :smile: Now my update;

I am done with Uvs and the texturing for the "Four Corners Of Earth" weapon pack. It took 12 different materials for whole set to be completed. All's been merged into 1 set of 4096x4096 Base Color/Normal Map/Specular Map textures. Here are the real time viewport screenshots from the Substance Designer (OpenGL); i will be updating my original posts as well.

Next work is to prepare LODs and finally implement all of those as a Bannerlord mod. I hope when it is done, i will be sharing final in-game screenshots :smile:

U2HdDQE.png
MrRsm4H.png
36ewpew.png
ht9Tfiy.png

3FvO551.png
aRn9rvW.png
tei4Ugd.png

ppV7fKZ.png
lqIuMSJ.png
Hpzn6wQ.png

ZwQYRW7.png
13ae1Bu.png
Q5P1OP4.png

4lsVb6a.png
q4n6KqL.png
xO9CefI.png

EDIT: G channel of Specular Map is Glossiness. Even though it is Metallic workflow; Bannerlord actually wants this as glossiness map instead of roughness map, be careful guys.

Last edited:
Please note that we've changed the following rule:
  • Your entry must work with the most recent stable version of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord and the Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord - Modding Kit at the time the contest closes.
To:
  • Your entry must work with version e1.8.0 of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord and the Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord - Modding Kit.
This is important as a few things related to crafting pieces and crafted weapons have changed when comparing version e1.7.2 and e1.8.0 (most notably, one-handed axes, two-handed axes, maces and two-handed maces also have pommels). If you followed the list posted in the original post in regards to the number of crafting pieces per weapon type - then it's all good, those were written based on the 180 version of the game.

Please note that we've changed the following rule:
  • Your entry must work with the most recent stable version of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord and the Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord - Modding Kit at the time the contest closes.
To:
  • Your entry must work with version e1.8.0 of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord and the Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord - Modding Kit.
This is important as a few things related to crafting pieces and crafted weapons have changed when comparing version e1.7.2 and e1.8.0 (most notably, one-handed axes, two-handed axes, maces and two-handed maces also have pommels). If you followed the list posted in the original post in regards to the number of crafting pieces per weapon type - then it's all good, those were written based on the 180 version of the game.
Will there be stable version update to 1.8 or should we switch/download beta and prepare our mods with beta 1.8(i am not even sure if modkit works with beta version)? I am done with everything except sending files and taking screenshots/video of the mod; currently waiting for the next stable patch to be done with it. @Dejan

Will there be stable version update to 1.8 or should we switch/download beta and prepare our mods with beta 1.8(i am not even sure if modkit works with beta version)? I am done with everything except sending files and taking screenshots/video of the mod; currently waiting for the next stable patch to be done with it. @Dejan
You should switch to Beta e1.8.0 and prepare your mods.

Melee weapons set name: Four Corners Of Earth
Created weapons: 4x TwoHandedSwords
fy02baB.png
3FvO551.png
1QJNdw7.png
ppV7fKZ.png
cH2K1cH.png
ZwQYRW7.png
AHtxdJs.png
4lsVb6a.png
U2HdDQE.png

PdcGSvv.png
8ROZuaJ.png
fmxcvV6.png
KUeOV4T.png
APkEzag.png
IUUDNEA.png
Vkq2g7G.png
sWYkO5e.jpg
r8dyncM.jpg
JoSewBx.jpg
8qw0KAG.jpg
AFFPwje.png
OSWALf6.png
lmOHiwu.png
Kxpy9S9.png
IOIMXYG.jpg
PmTPnm5.jpg
ZSSXn51.jpg
Ouw5TOO.jpg
aP4eTkI.png

--------------------

--------------------

Thanks @Dejan. Already got them in Bannerlord and after updating to 1.8, i've also uploaded the mod for the contest.

Modified some of the meshes (so they might look a bit different in size compared to the WIP screenshots) to make all of the mod's pieces competable with all (if not, most) native crafting pieces as well. Also moved gripping point of all swords of the mod, towards to the guard for 5cm (which made total reaches shorter) so 2handling those swords looks more natural and correct. As an extra; added in-game video showcasing the mod.

Last edited:
Hello !! i am cy, I am participating as a 3d modeler in a modding team that making bannerlord : korean project mod
and my teammate introduced this competition and i am here now :grin: . Thank you so much for hosting this contest!! cool game and cool contest.

i got idea from the description about Marunath in the in-game encyclopedia.
-f24h.png
this is a really great tale, and so I made a weapon sets for the hero ochlaigan in that description.
i think battania looks like the Picts and Scots of the past Roman invasions of Britain in many parts of a story, a visual, and even its name.
So I tried to make it look like a weapon from the old Irish and Scottish Celtic styles and in their legends.
Like the legend of gae bulga, I hope that ochlaigan's spear also looked like it was made from the teeth of a giant monster of the Llyn Tywal, the dark lake!

Melee weapons set name: ochlaigan`s battle set
Created weapons: 1x OneHandedSword, 1x TwoHandedPolearm
gfgl0.png

high poly

toS3m.png

texturing with substance painter

qTWzl.jpg

polyflow and texture sets(2k)

HOx0w.png

qs1qP.png

in editer

Ja6iq.jpg

f7iJZ.jpg

Xez0C.jpg

5jTsD.png

X5HYV.png

version e1.8.0

Last edited:
Melee weapons set name: Ramsay's Royal Set
Created weapons: 1x Two Handed Sword 1x One Handed Sword 1x Two Handed Polearm 1x Dagger
sword_breaker_low_poly.png
halberd_low_poly.png
stiletto_low_poly.png
claymore_low_poly.png

contest_weapon_set.png

Royal Armoury set by Major Roy McCalluster, a 3D artist in the Arcane Modding team.

I am submitting 4 melee weapons to this competition.

A halberd, a spear, a dagger and a 1h mace.

13,613 Triangles in total.

Renders:
DCyhmCP.png

wvNZlUO.png

JrKpFyO.png

oNPqrtC.png

Jwczu9D.png

3flklLv.png

S8MQM6e.png

YYBYIOU.png

In-game screenshots:

bamDiHf.png

OthRgDk.png
kHQUHXo.png

EhJM6wj.png

In-progress screenshots:
NUYNrqL.png

NkhFCMB.png

1Hlz7uc.png

hPk22bq.png

HDkhjmH.png

l572gGd.png

Last edited:
Melee weapons set name: Dunlending Chieftain's Elite Set
Created Weapons: 1x Two Handed Sword, 2x One Handed Axe, 2x Two Handed Axe
WIP and Final Screenshots:

Last edited:
Melee weapons set name: Urkhun's Legacy

Created weapons: OneHandedSword, TwoHandedPolearm

8A797.png
4pck7.jpg
np6wh.jpg
vLU_5.jpg
kchKK.jpg
WyUTt.jpg

T0dxP.png
_ZU6-.png
7rU9x.jpg
y1FgR.jpg

The guard of the sword is compatible with 95% of the Native pieces (everything but the very wide blade)
The rest of the sword parts are 100% compatible with Native pieces.

All 4 polearm parts are 100% compatible with Native pieces.

All the parts are on one 2K texture.

IkeUx.jpg

Melee weapons set name: Aserai Royal Weapons
Created weapons:
1H Sword
2H Sword
1H Hammer
1h Axe

Work-in-progress screenshots:
Medium Polies:
unknown.png

High Polies
unknown.png

Low Polies
unknown.png

Hammer Close up
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Hello everyone, unfortunately I did not give myself enough time to get the weapon set into the game. But I wanted to share what I made anyway. I had a lot of fun designing the royal weapon set which I call: “The Mount Blades”. All the entries are amazing and good luck 😊. I’m going to have to buy myself one of those sweet action mousepads though!

Back
Top Bottom