Why do you all hate this game?

Users who are viewing this thread

This game is amazing. You people are whiny and petty.
The people on these forums want a game in a reasonable amount of time, with features the past games had, and new features that Taleworlds themselves promised before ea, but somehow now aren't ever going to see the light of day, and better communication. Yes let's blame the forum users for the bitterness. :roll:

Yes let's blame the forum users for the bitterness. :roll:
I mean he's not wrong, if you are that bitter about a video game you only have yourself to blame.
The normal player just checks out the progress when a new patch releases. There are other games to play in the meantime and life is too short to be bitter all the time :xf-wink:

I DON'T HATE IT. BUT PEACE TIME IS VERY BORING CONSTANT WAR GETS TO MUCH. THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE TO SINGLE PLAYER.
-no feasts or events.
-randomly generated companions < jeremus
-no promised gang/brigand playstyle
-villages don't count as fiefs, only useless castles and town do.
-no upgradable villages
-no manhunters
-RtR system from Warband discarded, a clown could become a faction leader overnight.
-no books or trainers.
-no hitmens targeting you/random encounters like the belligerent drunk.
-no lords consipiring on each others, no duels. 0 political intrigue.
-no political quests and denouncement quests.
-no deeper courtships, just gamble rng, no poems.
-no real reason to visit towns/castle/villages at all.
-no camping.
-meme ingame diplomacy.

I mean he's not wrong, if you are that bitter about a video game you only have yourself to blame.
The normal player just checks out the progress when a new patch releases. There are other games to play in the meantime and life is too short to be bitter all the time :xf-wink:
Nobody chooses what interests them, or infuriates them. Meekness accomplishes nothing. When you pay for a product, the basic assumption is that it functions. In 12 years of development + pre-development, TaleWorlds has created an inferior product to it's predecessor in terms of what does work, and it's full of bugs, crashes, and constant problems, with patches going two step forwards and then one or two steps back every time. Multiplayer is a disaster that seems to have been left in an intentionally terrible state out of spite (there's no other explanation as to why TaleWorlds would refuse to make any changes to the multiplayer systems that have been reviled overwhelmingly rejected by every broader section of the Mount&Blade multiplayer community). The developers and community managers are totally silent on all overwhelmingly supported suggestions, have consistently refused to engage with the community, especially the multiplayer community, regarding basically every problem of even the remotest significance.

I am at fault for staying bitter and posting on these forums, but TaleWorlds is to blame for the circumstances. Circumstances which are so easily remedied it's mind boggling.

Warband was a real Indie game made by what 6-8 people? It earned a ton of money and TW scaled up to roughly 100 employees.
Bannerlord should've been Taleworlds entry into the "big league" where they made Mount & Blade into an almost AAA game. Yet besides the battles and engine everything else feels lazy and like TW just cut all the corners they could. (My personal theory is the project was going nowhere and they just decided to deliver the minimum viable product and move on)
It's just really sad because this game could've been so much more and honestly it should've been.

Because as long term players and many modders or fans of mods -we know whats capable here and it just seems like the developers aimed for a target so much lower than what we know could have been

Taleworlds proved that they could hit the target (twice, with M&B and Warband) with a team of a mere handful of people, then hired dozens of additional personnel and set themselves a higher mark to shoot for. After several years of effort, they downgraded their goals to essentially a prettier version of what they had already done, with a few extra bells and whistles. After a few more years, they downgraded that target (several times, repeatedly dropping features which they initially boasted about, then admitting that several previous features wouldn't be included either), and since then have failed to live up to the previous games in anything but graphics and a few tactical combat details, which do not make up for what was lost.

It's not a matter of hating the game, it's a matter of seeing clearly how far Taleworld's vision and expectations for the game have fallen, with most of the long-term fans realizing that we're going to be getting a game that's a pale shadow of what it could and should have been. Instead of a GREAT game, building on the previous great titles, after more than a decade of work we're getting a "fairly decent" game at best. For me, there's no point in playing it, because if fails to deliver what I enjoyed about the earlier games. I'm still playing those instead, despite having "worn them out".

I hate how my veteran friends were banned from the forums for speaking out against the company and who are followed on steam forums to by same moderaters who delete there posts. they had accounts here since warband was new.

i am still new here but even I can see it. It reminds me of learning about how the Nazis started.

I'm a professional right-wing propagandist. As in I literally do it for money. I like capitalism.

But just because the free exchange of goods and services is good, it doesn't mean that corporations are magically not to blame when they spend a literal decade promising something explicitly and then refuse to do that thing.

Viking Conquest was a better game than Bannelord and it was made a decade ago by modders. It had more roleplaying and better combat tactics features than Bannerlord, despite being years older and made by a smaller team. There's no excuse for why Bannerlord doesn't exceed the very low bar of "what a team of literal fans already did ten years ago".

Spare me the Zen bull**** about how the real disappointment is in my heart and I can just let go.

Why is it that when a corporation takes a **** in my sandwich I'm supposed to accept it with grace but if I take the piss out of the corporation then white knights come galloping out to preach?

I'm a professional right-wing propagandist. As in I literally do it for money. I like capitalism.

But just because the free exchange of goods and services is good, it doesn't mean that corporations are magically not to blame when they spend a literal decade promising something explicitly and then refuse to do that thing.

Viking Conquest was a better game than Bannelord and it was made a decade ago by modders. It had more roleplaying and better combat tactics features than Bannerlord, despite being years older and made by a smaller team. There's no excuse for why Bannerlord doesn't exceed the very low bar of "what a team of literal fans already did ten years ago".

Spare me the Zen bull**** about how the real disappointment is in my heart and I can just let go.

Why is it that when a corporation takes a **** in my sandwich I'm supposed to accept it with grace but if I take the piss out of the corporation then white knights come galloping out to preach?
Contantly on my mind is why is Bannerlord not improving on viking conquest . I love VC it seems more advanced than bannerlord in the way of features. For me in bannerlord the clan system and family hire system aging is the great leap forward but they left everything else . The traits are a bugbear for me they at the moment are pointless. I want the npc's to reflect there traits in away a set npc management system were traits allow a certain action. The play would been free to do all action and get reflective traits. Which you do at the moment like if you execute enough you get cruel with levels of cruel but the npc's who are cruel are only cruel on because its says so not because they actually do anything. If a day or few hours i could assign each trait an action that could work in game but TW have left Traits as vague to pointless.

Contantly on my mind is why is Bannerlord not improving on viking conquest . I love VC it seems more advanced than bannerlord in the way of features. For me in bannerlord the clan system and family hire system aging is the great leap forward but they left everything else . The traits are a bugbear for me they at the moment are pointless. I want the npc's to reflect there traits in away a set npc management system were traits allow a certain action. The play would been free to do all action and get reflective traits. Which you do at the moment like if you execute enough you get cruel with levels of cruel but the npc's who are cruel are only cruel on because its says so not because they actually do anything. If a day or few hours i could assign each trait an action that could work in game but TW have left Traits as vague to pointless.
You're not alone.

From the very beginning I have been furious that traits - at launch - were bugged for everyone and, even after they patched it a year later, they remain effectively half-implemented. The only thing that traits do is penalize persuasion chances if you don't have them. And it's extremely difficult to impossible to gain positive traits. Valor is impossible to get if you're playing without exploits/easy-mode because it requires massive victories while massively outnumbered. Calculating is literally impossible to level because the only way to do so is IIRC persuading 100 clans to join your faction. Honorable requires completing like a hundred quests and merciful is the same thing but only with specific options on specific quests.

And... again... they don't do anything. They certainly don't affect noble AI, for instance. Honorable merciful lords are just as likely to raid villages as anyone else.

You're not alone.

From the very beginning I have been furious that traits - at launch - were bugged for everyone and, even after they patched it a year later, they remain effectively half-implemented. The only thing that traits do is penalize persuasion chances if you don't have them. And it's extremely difficult to impossible to gain positive traits. Valor is impossible to get if you're playing without exploits/easy-mode because it requires massive victories while massively outnumbered. Calculating is literally impossible to level because the only way to do so is IIRC persuading 100 clans to join your faction. Honorable requires completing like a hundred quests and merciful is the same thing but only with specific options on specific quests.

And... again... they don't do anything. They certainly don't affect noble AI, for instance. Honorable merciful lords are just as likely to raid villages as anyone else.
Who i read the rage post and i am shocked at how much is missing . This is not good at all. The next patch best be amazing because i am losing hope.

Who i read the rage post and i am shocked at how much is missing . This is not good at all. The next patch best be amazing because i am losing hope.
quote-abandon-all-hope-ye-who-enter-here-dante-alighieri-50-41-88.jpg

Yeah, it's exactly as you said. Literally logged in to quote you after a year or so not even caring enough about Bannerlord to check the forums. Couldn't agree more, and seeing the white knighting is disheartening. It's the "own nothing and be happy or I'll call you names and shut you down" kind of people doing it most of the time.

Imo, Taleworlds is a company that very cleverly capitalized on a fluke, a perfect storm of a game that came out at the right time and found the right community which helped it flourish beyond belief, pushing it from being a 2000 copies sold game to having a big spotlight over it as a major Indie success. But the community that helped it become the success it ended up being couldn't give Taleworlds the kind of money they had in mind for their future endeavor, it's a niche community after all. So they went for accessibility and disregarded ALL constructive criticism from the very same people who supported them when they were a tiny company. They did it knowing that, no matter the state it was in, it would sell well (because it's past 2020 and kids will buy anything that can give them that sweet dopamine hit) and that there would be heaps of people defending it blindly while literally using it as a 15 minutes casual medieval battle game. They were right of course, they might be sleazy used car salesmen kind of developers but they're very clever and with good business acumen, at least on the short term.

Bannerlord, as far as Taleworlds is concerned, was never supposed to be a good game or a revolutionary game. It was supposed to be more content for the sake of making money using the IP. The fact it also came out in Early Access and improved little in two years was and still is an absolute travesty of course, but there's your very positive reviews on Steam. There's the millions of copies sold. There's the huge majority of the playerbase that has never even HEARD of Warband or Mount and Blade and they will be what Taleworlds care about and cater to. Why should they care about the rest of us? We're just a vocal minority, and most of us have moved on. I just check the forums once a year at this point, and wouldn't have even posted if the person I quoted didn't write exactly what I was thinking about. And I'm someone who bought literally all of their games, starting with Mount and Blade.

Long story short, this was all an extremely well-done grift that could have been a magnificent game and is a mobile-level battle simulator good for killing a couple hours a week instead. You can deny it's a soulless, grindy game good for casuals and people with a really low quality bar and that the developers said untruthful things over and over again just to create hype and make more money, but it won't make it any less true.

Game systems lack complexity. Easy to master.
Lacking of sandbox varied experience.
Same unimproved physics from Warband. Why the hell horses are copy paste from Warband ? Do we not have Red Dead Redemption to be used as a reference?
AI dumb cant do anything only follow single line to reach the target.
Siege don't work like total war or atleast more complex than it was in Warband, same thing just ai can climb on more ladders lol.
Grindy Quests.
World developement aren't substantial enough or don't express significantly in the world, have little impact to the player gameplay.

Systems such as influence was a good idea that turned into just another currency.

Feels like a Warband 2.0. You wonder why alot of people satys that vbannerlord release was the biggest dissapointment.
Battle order system and battle terrain system is little flavour added to the existing experience, These big features have impact, but we can count how many such impactful features were released in 2 year time period. Was it 4 features ?
Okay, whyt i wouldnt expect Bannerlord to improve ? because then it's forced to go into dev phase: #BackToAlpha

Last edited:
Yeah, it's exactly as you said. Literally logged in to quote you after a year or so not even caring enough about Bannerlord to check the forums. Couldn't agree more, and seeing the white knighting is disheartening. It's the "own nothing and be happy or I'll call you names and shut you down" kind of people doing it most of the time.
Ahhh it's good to see you! And my man Kivan on your PFP!

I think you're a little more blackpilled than me about TW... I think of them more as well-intentioned but overconfident fools blundering into disaster after being handed hundreds of millions of dollars... but to be fair I haven't even tried to play the latest patch. Seeing the feedback when I checked last week it was more than enough to get me to drop it for another 6 months or so.
Feels like a Warband 2.0. You wonder why alot of people satys that vbannerlord release was the biggest dissapointment.
Dude I wish it was Warband 2.0. Then at least it would have the features that were already in Warband.

Ahhh it's good to see you! And my man Kivan on your PFP!

I think you're a little more blackpilled than me about TW... I think of them more as well-intentioned but overconfident fools blundering into disaster after being handed hundreds of millions of dollars... but to be fair I haven't even tried to play the latest patch. Seeing the feedback when I checked last week it was more than enough to get me to drop it for another 6 months or so.

Dude I wish it was Warband 2.0. Then at least it would have the features that were already in Warband.
Likewise! Yeah, I'm pretty blackpilled about them, I won't lie. There's always hoping I'm dead wrong, though!

Back
Top Bottom