Any Sturgia infantry army tips and tricks or mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maximum997

Squire
Hello. I didnt play for a year and i want to play again as Sturgia with melee infantry focused army as infantry man myself.

Year ago for me it was pretty much impossible (at least unfun) task due to few reason:

1) Enemy is retreating and retreating and retreating. I dont know why but they dont want to engage in melee and keep going back and back and back. It is so frustrating to chase AI army for like 5+ minutes to just end fight in 30 seconds and another 5 minutes chase this one last guy.

2) Archer kite.

I killed all enemy infantry and then enemy archers just start to kite my troops, then shoot then kite, then shoot.

3) horse archers. Shoud i say something else about that? Infantry is just absurdly hopeless against them.

4) Reinforcement system. I atacked the enemy, killed a lot of them and then in my back i have like 200 archers respawn. I am surrounded and dead.

5) Chasing this one last guy. Enemy army is dead, but this one guy dont want to surrender, and whole my army is trying to kill him.

6) Melee clash ends faster then virgins first sex.

Last time becouse of this i ended up with full army or Fian Champions with like 10% guys as arow sponges. And i dont want to it that way again.

So before start again i want to ask some tips or mods to overcome this issues?

For example mods like "AI always atack" from warband for example.

Last edited:
So before start again i want to ask some tips or mods to overcome this issues?
Then you need to edit Sturgia troops yourself IF you want to change their stats or weapons.

An infantry focused army can work okay, but your best bet is to split infantry and archers. You can use your archers to force the opponent to engage, because the AI won't be content just taking mass casualties while sitting and doing nothing. Once your archers have baited them into the fight, then you can sweep with your infantry while your archers are still pelting when they have line of sight. Archers are super key if you want to run infantry heavy, and you only need enough to out-archer most opponents so that they don't kill all of yours (a well placed shield wall also helps a lot to soak up archer fire).

Alternatively you can run a split with cav or horse archers. Horse archers have a similar effect with infantry and work very well because they maneuver far more and get line of sight easily during the melee brawl, but I have a hard time figuring out which horse archer to use with Sturgian troops (nothing seems to fit thematically). Cav is a little easier, because I can accept Sturgian infantry + Vlandian cavalry, but using cav to bait your opponents into engaging is usually costly and cav are expensive. Battanian fians are the best fit imo (or sturgian archers but they're kinda bad).

An infantry focused army can work okay, but your best bet is to split infantry and archers. You can use your archers to force the opponent to engage, because the AI won't be content just taking mass casualties while sitting and doing nothing. Once your archers have baited them into the fight, then you can sweep with your infantry while your archers are still pelting when they have line of sight. Archers are super key if you want to run infantry heavy, and you only need enough to out-archer most opponents so that they don't kill all of yours (a well placed shield wall also helps a lot to soak up archer fire).

Alternatively you can run a split with cav or horse archers. Horse archers have a similar effect with infantry and work very well because they maneuver far more and get line of sight easily during the melee brawl, but I have a hard time figuring out which horse archer to use with Sturgian troops (nothing seems to fit thematically). Cav is a little easier, because I can accept Sturgian infantry + Vlandian cavalry, but using cav to bait your opponents into engaging is usually costly and cav are expensive. Battanian fians are the best fit imo (or sturgian archers but they're kinda bad).
I did like that last time.
Sad that nothing changed.

If i remember it makes infantry even more crap becouse shields are weaker and cavalry is far stronger.
Nothing can make vanilla troops more crap. In RBM armor and shields work 10000 times better and actually protect their owners.
Also, you can tweak all damage, armor and unit skills/loadout yourself.

Nothing can make vanilla troops more crap. In RBM armor and shields work 10000 times better and actually protect their owners.
Also, you can tweak all damage, armor and unit skills/loadout yourself.
Armor buff benefits heavy cav more then everyone. It increase their toughness to absurd lvl.
And they dont care about enemy armor becouse they kill by charging. I guess i should tweak charge damage.

Thank you for the recommendations.

Right now my plan is.
1) RMB
2) Spears rebalance

Last edited:
Armor buff benefits heavy cav more then everyone. It increase their toughness to absurd lvl.
And they dont care about enemy armor becouse they kill by charging. I guess i should tweak charge damage.

Right now my plan is.
1) RMB
2) Spears rebalance
Armour
https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2758?tab=description
And of course the spear rework mod is really great! I also recommend https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3848?tab=files&file_id=24792 so that the sieges will last a bit longer. Here you have a mod for a real shield wall https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/1394?tab=files&file_id=19554. If you care about the collision of weapons in contact with the body (realism), I recommend https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/983?tab=description

• VolunteersUpTier - this optional mod changes starting tier of volunteers that appear in settlements. This tier is configurable with config.xml in mod files. This submod aims to up the difficulty in campaign mode. AI lords in campaign fight battles all the time and they often loose entire armies, so then they fill up their whole armies with recruits. Player is much better at conserving units and often has elite armies. As a result battles in campaign are often extremly one sided because of this. This mod serves as hotfix for this problem as AI lords armies will be closer to player's and battles should be a more challenging. In future we hope there will be some other way to fix this problem ( better soldiers from prosperity, training soldiers in castles and so on ). Works also as standalone.
  • Lord Retinue Uptier - this optional mod improves the armies (AKA retinues) that are spawned with AI lords (not your companions) when they are spawned / released / ransomed / escape from captivity. This will put more good units into game and also make battles vs AI armies harder.
If you do not use this two modules of RBM, ai armies will not have high rank troops. So this could help cav problem. I always use cavs so I did not test it but in RBM, are infantary more vulnerable against cavs? I am asking this because when my inf lose on the battle against enemy inf, it is so hard to kill them with cavs and horse archers or maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe because I am using two modules I shared above. I mean whenever enemy inf overwhelms mine that battle turns out to be a loss.

Reinforcement problems? Any way to disable them from the game? I bought Ryzen 5600 but armies are still too big to handle them all at once.

I dunno they seem to have changed a lot and infantry is really strong right now. I use vanilla with just a couple of aesthetic mods right now.

I use infantry armies of tier II/IIIs and just F1/F3 them to intentionally have high casualties to level medicine but I've found infantry are now really powerful against everything. Horse Archers completely suck because of AI they just run straight into my troops. it made fighting Khuzaits really easy because they seem to have changed them to be mostly HAs.

Right now my plan is.
1) RMB
2) Spears rebalance
Is there a mod that makes heavy cavalry actually kill by charging? With the testing that I've done, I'd say that melee-cavalry is hands down the worst unit type in a non-modded game. They simply can't use their spears/lances properly a vast majority of the time, and eventually get whittled down whilst doing very little damage.

As one example, I tested out 298 Vlandian Banner Knights vs 301 Imperial infantry/archers/AI commander in a custom battle. I gave the Imperials mixed tiers of units, which resulted in the following breakdown (with Elthild as commander):
45 Imperial Archer
45 Imperial Crossbowman
35 Imperial Elite Menavliaton
35 Imperial Infantryman
35 Imperial Legionary
35 Imperial Menavliaton
35 Imperial Trained Infantryman
35 Imperial Veteran Infantryman

When I had the Banner Knights form a shield wall and charge, they got a total of 92 kills, 53 of which were against the very lightly armored archers and crossbowmen, 24 against Trained Infantrymen, 13 Infantrymen, and 2 Menavliaton. The Banner Knights themselves lost 210, with 88 routed and 1 somewhere on the map that I couldn't find (I assume he got stuck on a tree or something).

When I instead had the Banner Knights dismount, form a shield wall, then charge against the exact same army, they got 250 kills (with the other 50 Imperials routing) and only lost 40 men. Even using more mixed armies and having the melee cavalry charge from the rear results in very minimal kills - usually right around 0 on the initial charge, no matter how impressive it may be visually.

I think an infantry-focused army should be perfectly fine, though the Sturgian Spearmen are by far the worst Tier 4 infantry unit. You'll almost certainly need some archers or crossbowmen mixed in, though. That makes sense from a realism perspective as well.

Is there a mod that makes heavy cavalry actually kill by charging?
Yes. It is RMB. Realistic battle mod.

Cav is really bad becouse they miss hits all the time.

Problem with cavalty as infantry army that you need 1 hour to catch and kill them.

Back
Top Bottom