Users who are viewing this thread

Bryseis

Recruit
Let me just preface this with: I’ve been playing M&B for a very long and time mostly warband and when bannerlord came out I figured I’d let the game marinate for a bit before trying it as I consider myself a “hardcore” fan. Well, I finally got Bannerlord and boy am I having a lot of fun. No the game isn’t complete and has some bugs and mess ups but I still love it. I’m 10 years into my first (successful) play through. Maybe around 35/40 hours? I guess now this is just gonna be a “thoughts so far” thread with maybe a few tangents so here goes:

At first I played the game exactly how I’d play warband. Took me several new starts to get it right lol but I’ve now adjusted to the changes. At first I thought smithing was broken from how much money you can easily make in 2/4 weeks of smithing.(I liked how hard it was to get money in warband) Then I amassed about 1400 troops across my party and garrisons and now I’m glad I can fund my army by smithing about once a year in game.

Since this is my first playthrough I’m not used to how the AI will act but so far I really really like it! The king of Battania was almost immediately replaced in the first year by Muinser but me and him are homies and he gives me lots of fiefs. Not feeling bad about save-scumming as I’m learning the game; every time I do it something different happens which tells me the AI is really dynamic which is awesome. (When a hardcore mode is added that removes my ability to save-cheat I will play that)

I try not to start wars because I don’t like killing innocent villagers/caravans/lords (doing a lawful good play through) but that sometimes causes months of peace times which can be annoying. That’s not necessarily a good or bad thing. When more diplomacy is added that will really add a lot to late game.

Field battles are super fun, and I don’t necessarily mind when the enemy AI is defensive. But it’s annoying when they’re so defensive they just retreat to the back of the map so much so that I spend several minutes advancing my troops up to them. Only to have their reinforcements spawn behind or on top of my men and my reinforcements to spawn a mile away only to get picked off by horse archers.

Taverns/towns/and buildings feel so much cooler and livelier but are still kinda stale. Lots of potential there.

Militia is a new cool feature I think is great. Also the way cities and villages work is really cool. I take care of all my settlements and protect them and then they produce more hearths and more supplies for my cities and the people like me more, boosting up the relationship meter. I like how you can appoint a companion as governor but at times I feel myself searching random companions just because any governor is better than no governor. It might be cool to just have a local election or maybe I can select one of the officials from one of the villages or something that would be cool. Either way you can tell the devs clearly care very much by how much particular detail that’s going into the game.

I will continue to sink hours a day into this game every day as I’ve already got ideas for an Aserai, Empire, and Vlandian (NotSwadian) playthroughs brewing in my head. Thanks guys, my younger self who would sit and play M&B for hours waiting for this game is so happy.

Edit: to add my absolute biggest complaint, no compass. I get so flipturned upside down sometimes. Pls add compass for my disoriented loin cloths

Last edited:
Having fun?!

giphy.gif

Good to hear though. I've tripled my playing hours from what I had on Warband and that is primarily unmodded. Early to mid game are great. Late game could add some more diverse gameplay (especially agree with the diplomacy wish).

And the scenes are beautiful, I just wished they'd add more incentive for the player to actually enter them, instead of handling everything from the overview.

Let us know when you've gotten to 20 years in your playthrough, curious to hear what you think of the later game stages!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the game, it is really nice to hear that you are enjoying it despite the few issues here and there.

And you should enable Ironman mode for your next playthrough if you want to stop yourself from save-scumming! :grin:

I'm enjoying the game a lot too, haven't played M&B before Bannerlord released, started to play Warband when Bannerlord released (because of the bugs during release) and immediately fell in love with the franchise. Recently picked up Bannerlord again and the game feels like an unpolished gem. Overall the game looks extremely beautiful and is a lot of fun but it also has some issues which hurt the replayability a bit, like it feels grindy with how slow skills level, economic being unbalanced (smithing is kinda the only early-mid game side activity which is worth doing, caravans/workshops/tournaments/trading are rather disappointing) and the endgame is tedious.

You also have to keep in mind that people usually come to the forums when they are unhappy about something. Pretty much every game forum is mostly negative, most of them are far worse than this one.

I'm enjoying the game a lot too, haven't played M&B before Bannerlord released, started to play Warband when Bannerlord released (because of the bugs during release) and immediately fell in love with the franchise. Recently picked up Bannerlord again and the game feels like an unpolished gem. Overall the game looks extremely beautiful and is a lot of fun but it also has some issues which hurt the replayability a bit, like it feels grindy with how slow skills level, economic being unbalanced (smithing is kinda the only early-mid game side activity which is worth doing, caravans/workshops/tournaments/trading are rather disappointing) and the endgame is tedious.

I'm happy to hear that you are also enjoying the game! :grin:

We are still adjusting the economy and character development and have some changes coming in the next beta patch that are related to these issues. Similarly, we are still adding content to the game that looks to add more depth and options for players throughout their playthrough while also streamlining the more tedious parts.

I'm happy to hear that you are also enjoying the game! :grin:

We are still adjusting the economy and character development and have some changes coming in the next beta patch that are related to these issues. Similarly, we are still adding content to the game that looks to add more depth and options for players throughout their playthrough while also streamlining the more tedious parts.
Glad to hear that this is on the radar and gets fixed :xf-smile: The tedious parts are the main reason why I don't do as many playthroughs as I want to (and have death disabled), leveling up everything again feels like a chore for some skills (especially Athletics, Medicine, Scouting, Riding, Rougery, Tactics and Trading are such a pain to level up).

Will definitely try and update at 20 years! (Can’t quite figure out how to reply to specific replies on mobile) but I will definitely try iron man mode on my next play through. I cannot decide which culture I wanna play next.

Well as a fellow Warband veteran, i should admit that a vast majority of the stuff i am complaining about this game are directed against to the ultimate potential of this unique series rather than the actual content in the game we got right now. And indeed its still fun to RP as a medieval vassal or a king no matter how poorly this game was designed. That being said, it still doesn't change the fact that TW has steered their vision to an extremely dull path which leads to a bastardized game design.

Its nice to see that im not the only one can enjoy the game in this forum though, so have fun buddy. Make the most of it :smile:

Any particular reasons why you guys removed the food details in garrisons stats?

Well as a fellow Warband veteran, i should admit that a vast majority of the stuff i am complaining about this game are directed against to the ultimate potential of this unique series rather than the actual content in the game we got right now. And indeed its still fun to RP as a medieval vassal or a king no matter how poorly this game was designed. That being said, it still doesn't change the fact that TW has steered their vision to an extremely dull path which leads to a bastardized game design.

Its nice to see that im not the only one can enjoy the game in this forum though, so have fun buddy. Make the most of it :smile:

Any particular reasons why you guys removed the food details in garrisons stats?

Yes, it's the squandered potential that drives you crazy.

As Mexxico once said : It will be a good game. Not great (he was being honest) ... but good.

The mods might possibly make it great in 4 or 5 years time.

Last edited:
And you should enable Ironman mode for your next playthrough if you want to stop yourself from save-scumming! :grin:
They won't enjoy it if they have to accept the AI wasting it's self every other battle and they can't do basic things like make a child or marry who they want to, avoid a POS faction vote or dozens of other problems/dubious-vision/design-choices that are only barrable because you can re-load the game and "hope it works out this time". It's worrying you would even suggest such a thing to a customer.

Kids if you start on Ironman don't be asking for help on "my troops didn't do the thing and they died" 'this dum thing happened and..." the solution is re-load the game and you goofed!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the game, it is really nice to hear that you are enjoying it despite the few issues here and there.

The rng in this game is worse than x-com 2 and that's saying something. No way in hell should someone play Ironman unless they enjoy being screwed over by rngesus again and again . :cry:

Yes its potential lost that kills the enjoyment more than the game itself. i just could never bring myself to even go to MidGame if i know nothing interesting or flavorful is gonna happen and especially if the AI strategy is just mindless. Wont kill the vibe of the thread tho - so good on you OP for finding fun in strange places

It's fun to have fun but you have to know how .......

I find myself in a strange game desert lately. Maybe others feels the same way, waiting, waiting .........

The latest," hot off the press ", Elden Ring, is just too grindy ( and shallow, and anyway, silly ) for me to get into.

What I would really like to be investing some leisure hours in is ..... umm ...... " Bannerkings " ? Anyway, whatever that mod could ( sooner or later, looks like later ) become - a mature Bannerlord that works / makes sense, has tactical and strategic depth and colour etc
( I have not gone back to Bannerlord itself for 18 months now - there is still, even by now, after all this time, no point, apparently ......... good grief )

Do I really have to revert to " fresh " Warband mods in mid 2022 ? Bannerpage 3.0 is announced - soon. 457AD update - soon. Sengoku Era - soon. Apennines 18th Century is a bit of fun ......... But, really, it's 2022 !

( always a big thanks to all developers, especially mod developers, for all your quality work, delivering, sooner or later, interesting worlds for us, the lucky, privileged ( far from " entitled " ), community, to immerse ourselves in ............... albeit some work is better than others' ......... )

Last edited:
Yes, it's the squandered potential that drives you crazy.

As Mexxico once said : It will be a good game. Not great (he was being honest) ... but good.

The mods might possibly make it great in 4 or 5 years time.

Yeah I think that this is my opinion about this as well. It needs a ton of work still and pretty much modding will be mandatory for me.

Same here. Modding the heck out of my mine, but I do that on just about every game that supports it. Love to tailor my game. Looking forward to official release which will hopefully bring even more mod creators on board, too.

Back
Top Bottom