My Thoughts After 780 Hours of Playtime

Users who are viewing this thread

I have been playing this game off and on since it first came to early access, and I wanted to just put out my thoughts on the latest version 1.7.2. I'm going to try and break this up into some sections and cover a lot, but my overall thoughts are the early game is fun especially with the addition of smithing for early game money. I personally hate running from one side of the map to trade goods and this gave me a new option. In the mid to late game comes the absolute frustration and the flaws or design of the game become almost unbearable. These issues I have come across are the reason I am writing this at all. If everything was perfect, I would just be playing the game. Before I get to far into this, these are my opinions if you disagree that is fine, but these are my thoughts and I hope they will at least be heard. I really want this game to be successful

Character, Heroes, and Nobles

-Character- with death enabled I think your character levels just slightly to slowly especially if you try and use the medical skills. If you must cheese a skill by starving troops or whatever example you can think of, that is an issue. Skills should level fast enough without devoting hours in game to level a single skill. This leveling issue also applies to heroes in your party or in their own party. This leads to yourself and companions becoming useful just in time to die of old age or an illness.
-Heroes/Wanderers- As the game progresses your choice of companion or wanderers become very limited as many of them are over 50 years old. This makes getting companions for your children when you die very difficult.
-Nobles- I would say work well, but some offer my 18-year-old son 50-year-old women as brides even when they have young women in their clan. This brings up the issue of breeding. I have had some heirs that literally only have daughters which gives me the option to marry them off or keep them as an old cat lady that governs a town. Maybe make the act of breeding kind of like bartering where you actively try to have a child (dialogue option?). For your heirs I would weight the chance of their bride becoming pregnant with a boy a little more so. Maybe even implement family vacations for the young couples to spend a week on the lake or in the mountains that I can fund for them.

Caravans, Workshops, and Money in General

-Caravans- They feel barely worth the start up cost in the early game and in the late game pointless. This is with only using the better troops. They seemed to make about the same as a shop without the stability.
-Workshops- for me they made anywhere from 200 to 500 depending on the economy of the region. I don’t feel like these are bad and are by far more stable than a caravan that in my experience made almost the same profit (somedays they did make a lot more but rarely) and were captured very quickly.
Money- The transition from becoming a wandering mercenary to lord you will start bleeding money even if you have max caravans and workshops. It becomes slightly troubling if you haven’t saved a good amount of money. You will have to continue running your own trade route while fighting or continue to smith at every stop just to stay out of the red.

Field Battles and Sieges

-Field Battles- AI lords for the most part will set up in the back of the map and camp until you die of boredom. Moving your troops to them is a chore having to inch up your infantry, archers, cavalry, and horse archers all as single units. I still want an option to set up a formation and have them move in marching order at a slow pace until we finally reach the AI camp grounds where I can give them individual orders. The frustration is compounded by the fact that because of having to move to the back of the map to fight the enemy they will now spawn behind you during the battle at random times or sometimes literally on top of you. This is compounded by the fact that your reserve troops spawn a mile away from you and are picked off one by one by enemy horse archers or cavalry.
Sieges- the usual complaints that troops won’t go up the ladders or even through a breached door. This can be frustrating plus enemies can glitch into wall and cause you to have to retreat and restart the siege to kill one militiaman. Your catapults will continue to fire on the castle walls and kill tons of friendly troops even after your troops have taken the walls as well as after the battle is won and we are all cheering.
End Game
Garrisons- They don’t clear out looters, they don’t defend villages, they don’t protect caravans, they do nothing but act as defenders during a siege, as reserves during long wars and eat all of your town’s food, maybe?
Lords- they don’t seem to defend their fiefs or care for them at all. Without passing every policy available to up town loyalty you will have rebellions every few weeks. As a King you feel near useless to stop the loyalty drain on a town you don’t own. During the little peace you have some lords will keep 90% of your nobles in an army roaming around while their fiefs get overrun with looters and issues.
Fiefs- Sometimes your towns will run out of food completely and I see no reason for it, just that they are at -14 food. I get no feedback on what I need to do to fix it. Is the garrison to big, is the militia to big, should I run irrigation or housing to fix it, I have no idea?
Diplomacy- although it has gotten better its still near nonexistent. I can’t make allies; I have no nonaggression pacts. It’s just severely limited in every way. Enemies travel through my lands without even being harassed by my garrisons or militia, I have no border defense at all. They can walk a 1,000 man army to the middle of my lands, declare war and take a town before I know what is happening.

Final thoughts

early to mid-game are very enjoyable and I love the freedom to choose your own way of making money. The big issues become very apparent as the troop numbers increase and your number of towns and castle grow. The end game just becomes endless war without anytime to build up an army or garrison. The large battles with the random spawns and AI that refuse to engage become unbearable to the point of wanting to restart just to go back to having fun in game.

Random

-prebattle duels that give extra moral for your troops or loss of moral if you lose
-let me warn my lords of approaching armies, tell them to patrol areas, tell them to take certain towns or castles. If we had these and many other features in Warband, why are they not in this game.
-why does the Sturgian infantry still suck?
-auto resolve still allows looter to kill top tier troops. Example I lost a Fian Champion to auto resolve of 170 troops to 1 looter
-limit number of troops universally until you can find a fix for the horrible spawn in of reserves or break engagements up into 500v500 chunks with an option to reengage afterwards or flee. Honestly don’t know how you fix this until you can allow full armies to spawn all at once, which might be impossible with the number of troops. I don’t see a 2,000v2,000 battle running very well at all so why allow lord to have such large armies.
- more gore

Thank you for reading and please remember these are just my thoughts and opinions as of 1.7.2’’

In the mid to late game comes the absolute frustration and the flaws or design of the game become almost unbearable.
Besides the rest of the post, this is the main issue - early game is always fun with each playthrough but once you get to the mid-/late- (lord or start owning a few castles/towns), all the fundamental flaws in all the 'integrated' systems come out.

I think Bannerlord has nothing on previous versions of the game like Warband & world mods the community has created over years.
Bannerlord is missing so much from older games, just look at the details you lose statistic's wise..
Each town used to show your current reputation level.
You can only assign 4 people from companions to positions in party, where older games anyone member with highest skill would be used, So for example: Surgery... whatever character or companion had the highest skill was used in party as doctor.

Skill tree is broken in the new game replaced by a focus system with skill perks. Has it's good points & bad ones. I liked the old skill & attribute system from older games.

After the first few years traveling around the game map all Mountain & forest bandits, Sea Raiders & Steppie bandits are replaced by normal looters with afro's in every area of the map. 3 years into the game on the map and even though there are bandit hideouts none can be located roaming the map, but looters with afro's are always around.

Looters don't pillage towns like they used too in older games! Looters lack FEMALE presence, older games had female looters with kitchen knifes.

New Tier system for weapons and armor is crap compared to the old economic system where if towns where more wealthy it had the better gear.
You are limited by tier levels for companions in party where older games it was based on Attribute & Skill.

Tournaments are way to easy now and you get low cash once your high on the leaderboard without rouge skills which never raise & there is no position for master thief in party tab so you can set your highest skilled companion to work as party thief too use rouge skill... So this makes it hard to place high bets because you need good rouge skill. I like the idea of gaining items from tournaments but they tend to repeat after a while.

Player statistics like Kills & Renown level which doesn't show under encyclopedia, Each character used to show a value for how much they liked you which doesn't show in Bannerlord. The reputation value used to show on towns and villages you had gained favor from aswell, i don't see this in Bannerlord.

Lets face it, older games where better even in the vanilla warband had better mechanics, once you added world mods in the game was brilliant, I find Bannerlord lacks quite a bit older games had.

P.S too much ground scrub at times on maps, yeah it looks good but is annoying sometimes when using missile weapons.

Last edited:
Come back when you've played for a few thousand hours.

You'll realise all the criticisms don't matter. You'll still play anyway.

Why are you telling people not to provide critical feedback on the game to Taleworlds so it can become more enjoyable?

Why are you telling people not to provide critical feedback on the game to Taleworlds so it can become more enjoyable?
Yea. I think @Antaeus was saying the complaints don't really matter when you're going to continue to play the game regardless. It's like telling the chef that the food is too runny and not warm enough, yet you continue eat the plate of excrement in front of you instead of sending the plate back or walking out of the restaurant.

I had never been keen to the idea of the heir system, not on the day of the reveal announcement, not when I played the game on release, and certainly not now. But at least, like, they have always been things they could have done to make it work in a single-player game that provides an enjoyable experience to the players.

The wanderer system, for example -- I don't get why it's so hard to just implement a system that spawn new wanderers periodically. Like, the maximum player clan size -- surely that's an easily accessible variable -- and the total number of free wanderers -- a completely trackable sum, just do that. Let's aim for 10 + maximum player clan size as the goal, subtract the number of current clan memebers and total of free wanderers from it -- perhaps even do an age check so characters who are too old are not subtracted from it -- that's the number of free wanderers that should be spawned. Then, if said value is greater than 0, simply generate a number of free wanderers between half that value (rounded up) and the total amount. Done. The game can check it every seaon or year, depending on how scarce one wants wanderers to be.

And clans -- first, don't like the heir system -- if I could I'd mod it out and have a 360-day year mod implemented too. But, if said system is to stay, Clans should have some sort of a system that force add new clan members. Just, plump, boom, pow! There, a new lord. Maybe not even a new lord, just don't show clan notables below a certain age, so there's a chance for a severely low pop clan to get one young heir force-fed to them periodically. It'd help with marriages too to have candidates of breed age -- let it be reminded the "Heir" in the "Heir System".

For players, adoption or distant relatives, I don't care, either get fresh bodies in the clan or have a minimum relative count to aim for in the player clan, and get a chance to just take them in.

Of course i'll play, i still like the new game even tho it's a bit different, It's much easier now & with mods i think Bannerlord will be the best game of the series.
They will patch better stuff either that or just find a good world mod where someone has done something good with the game, world mods always improved older games.

I basically play test every aspect of the game, i start a long campaign just solo killing looters and bandit trash then hire companions, level up get better equipment, get my people with the right skill balance through years of scouring the map doing quests & tournaments, then once everyone in my group is good enough i start my own faction as game play changes from that point to creating new parties and land ownership with trade & wars with rival factions that require a different set of skills and gameplay.

Seems they have removed personalities from the game, NPC companions use to have quests or have rival personalities, some would like each other more while others would get to the point of fighting and leave party, i don't see any of that happening in Bannerlord now, what happened to personalities and NPC's chatting more about background for story content or quest elements.

Last edited:
early access's greatest strength is the feedback during development. ignoring it or brushing it aside makes garbage games

i played a multiplayer one a few years back for over a thousand hours, it had huge flaws, from straight up bugs, to tedious tasks.
the white knight fanboys downplayed everything and the devs took feedback as argument or attacks. the game is played by like 50 people donating money now.

-why does the Sturgian infantry still suck?
they don't.
Axeman is the 2nd best infantryamn in the game
Spearman is 4th
Linebraker is 2nd Shock trooper.

only the archers and standard cav line are bad

See my profile guide on infantry to have a look at what i am stating

they don't.
Axeman is the 2nd best infantryamn in the game
Infantry is completely worthless dead weight in the current single player game. You can make use of them with effort, but if you're ever choosing an upgrade path just making a ranged unit, even a bad one, is more useful. They just take too long to re-position and are to vulnerable to damage both when moving and when attacking. They trade down to often. Until they alter damage/armor there's no reason to make them.

Until they alter damage/armor there's no reason to make them.
i still need my medicine XP and a juicy trap for enemy infantry.

Although i understand your reply i was just informing OP that Sturgian infantry is possibly the best or second best in the game faction wise.
I see way too often people saying their infantry is bad and from my experience and testing that's simply not the case. Only faction i would consider better on that front are the Aserai, but after the change to the Palace Guards i'll have to test them again.

I did play Sturgia in 1.7.2. and the only guys giving my lines problems were Legionaries with 160HP. ( Medicine Perk )

Fiefs- Sometimes your towns will run out of food completely and I see no reason for it, just that they are at -14 food. I get no feedback on what I need to do to fix it. Is the garrison to big, is the militia to big, should I run irrigation or housing to fix it, I have no idea?
Yes, but devs removed this feature for gow knows what reason.
Skills should level fast enough without devoting hours in game to level a single skill. This leveling issue also applies to heroes in your party or in their own party. This leads to yourself and companions becoming useful just in time to die of old age or an illness.
Sad truth. I just boosted my xp gain in tournaments by 16 times (back to 100% instead of 6%, no idea who thought a practice fight giving less xp is a good idea). I will also tweak my other skills xp gain. Another problem is not slow xp gain, but lack of ways to get it. Like leadership should have more ways of lvling it.
It becomes slightly troubling if you haven’t saved a good amount of money.
Never had that problem, I hear a lot about income problems from people. Can you elaborate how you run into income problems? I understand before becoming vassal you have problems with income, but with 2 towns I can manage to earn money (without fighting). Like do you fill your garrisons up with high tier troops?

no idea who thought a practice fight giving less xp is a good idea)
i can understand why. you can do infinite amount of practices and not waste in game days.
that can be fixed by making practices limited but i have to work and base my opinion on the current system so i understand why it's that little.

But i think tournaments should have bonus or malus XP depending on the difficulty of the tournament, i agree on that. They are already limited to 1 for town and not very hard
Yes, but devs removed this feature for gow knows what reason
that feature should be back in the next patch ( 1.7.3 ) the feature was removed because it was bugged. i assume the numbers either didn't show properly or they where all over the place, encountered something similar in 1.7.
Another problem is not slow xp gain
can't argue on that. 3 hours to get 200 athletics is just one of them. but like the other poster said i think the biggest impact is on companions. they just can't get there.
Gave my wife 10 ATT a Noble Long Bow, 5 focuses in ATH & Bow and she still didn't get to 330 despite 50 years of fighting ( she was in her 70s when she died ) To me something ain't right if even by cheating the AI can't get there.

Infantry is completely worthless dead weight
I, since recently, no longer make cavalry but only infantry, cavalry are too much dumb, even not able to kill archers when : send to, ordered to follow up to, I have even gone up to order them to dismount in the middle of ennemy archers to have the damn job done !!!! I have even less casualties without having those idiot cavs !
Infantry is to be managed and your favourite stance will be the shieldwall for sure. To bad that when we try to make two groups of infantry the second has a ****ed formation... and the way to choose troops you put in a formation doesn't work, irrelevant, needs to "name" the troops we want in it, these are not the same captain perks depending if you put a falxman or an oathsworn (or legionary / menavliation, sergent/voulgier, etc).

BTW, Battania is supposed to be an infantry nation, it's just ridiculous to see how many cavalry they can produce, a matter of "balance" I guess.
They must also remove that spawning reinforcement system which is a piece of **** (just bore it once again a few seconds ago :wink: ), has obviously neither been thought nor tested before, and who is completely biasing battles.

Looters lack FEMALE presence, older games had female looters with kitchen knifes.
No they didn't. You're thinking of passive villager parties.
early access's greatest strength is the feedback during development. ignoring it or brushing it aside makes garbage games

i played a multiplayer one a few years back for over a thousand hours, it had huge flaws, from straight up bugs, to tedious tasks.
the white knight fanboys downplayed everything and the devs took feedback as argument or attacks. the game is played by like 50 people donating money now.
It's tragicomical the utter disconnect between their stated intentions for EA and the abysmal development that is perfectly contrary to them.

Back
Top Bottom