Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

634648f918.jpg

6cd674f613.jpg
When someone lies all the time, he may become paradoxically consistent. Who knows? Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed indeed. Are the occupied territories from before february also on UA's list to liberate? Crimea and such?
Yes, it's the ultimate win condition. But obviously, it's the perfect storm scenario. Too many things need to happen for us to be able to do that.

On a different note, Mariupol defenders were finally able to evacuate some wounded soldiers and they are now held in the occupied territories. Rumour has it, that the garrison is considering surrender but we'll have to see.
If it's true, I approve. They've held out way longer than anyone expected and bought us a lot of time. At this point, commanding officers should preserve lives if at all possible.

19,000 words and over 400 citations to say "Trump is racist". It's tempting to laugh, but in truth the passion is enviable, if misguided.
I hope this is some kind of informal competition at clutching pearls, because the alternative is far, far worse. (<-that's my entry)
It was pretty brutal. You could save it if you played your Balkans card and said that you were shelled yourself back in the day.

Last edited:
It was pretty brutal. You could save it if you played your Balkans card and said that you were shelled yourself back in the day.
People take their own death too seriously. Dying is usually fairly easy for the dier, it's the surviving that suffer.
Also, I was not shelled personally in the 90s, just had to run to air raid shelters a few times when they dropped a bomb or two. You do what you have to do, it's as simple as that, and not something unimaginably terrible that you can't joke about it because you have something rigid up your ass.

Yes, it's the ultimate win condition. But obviously, it's the perfect storm scenario. Too many things need to happen for us to be able to do that.

On a different note, Mariupol defenders were finally able to evacuate some wounded soldiers and they are now held in the occupied territories. Rumour has it, that the garrison is considering surrender but we'll have to see.
If it's true, I approve. They've held out way longer than anyone expected and bought us a lot of time. At this point, commanding officers should preserve lives if at all possible.

Yeah, they sure as hell did. They defended it for an incredible long time, preventing the RU army to look outwards again. I do hope that, in case of surrender, their lives will be preserved.

Have you all seen this by the way? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61484222

Retired colonel speaks out on Russian Army. And he does so, very politically, not in favour of RU.

The programme was 60 Minutes, the flagship twice-daily talk show on Russian state TV: studio discussion that promotes the Kremlin line on absolutely everything, including on President Putin's so-called "special military operation" in Ukraine.
The Kremlin still maintains that the Russian offensive is going according to plan.
But on Monday night, studio guest Mikhail Khodarenok, a military analyst and retired colonel, painted a very different picture.
He warned that "the situation [for Russia] will clearly get worse" as Ukraine receives additional military assistance from the West and that "the Ukrainian army can arm a million people".
Referring to Ukrainian soldiers, he noted: "The desire to defend their motherland very much exists. Ultimate victory on the battlefield is determined by the high morale of troops who are spilling blood for the ideas they are ready to fight for.
"The biggest problem with [Russia's] military and political situation," he continued, "is that we are in total political isolation and the whole world is against us, even if we don't want to admit it. We need to resolve this situation.
"The situation cannot be considered normal when against us, there is a coalition of 42 countries and when our resources, military-political and military-technical, are limited."

People take their own death too seriously.
You don't have to take your death very seriously if you don't value your life very much. I do value mine because I really like it and am not amused by your jokes.
For every person who died during the shelling, there are two or three maimed survivors who suffer significantly. Your excuses can not hold water.

Given how you are prone to clutch your pearls when US politics are brought up, I understand that you simply care about Ukrainian lives less than someone somewhere saying something politically insensitive. Which makes me doubt there are even any humanistic motives behind your expressed views. You simply come off as a troll.
Have you all seen this by the way? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61484222

Retired colonel speaks out on Russian Army. And he does so, very politically, not in favour of RU.
Sure, it's a great show. It is a part of the Russian state propaganda machine (all independent news outlets were forced to close back in March). They will say absolutely asinine things on that show probably to test the public opinion.
Earlier they talked about nuclear strikes on Western countries, the urgent need to "denazifi" Poland, and Europeans ****ing turtles in the brothels of Amsterdam.
Now Russian establishment is considering its options so they simply push the Overton window in a different direction. For sure it's not a slip-up.

If I understand how Russian propaganda works correctly, they will have to consider the possibility of Russian army failing to achieve any declared goals of the campaign and prepare the groundwork for saving Putin's face. Putin is not a moron, his generals simply lied to him about the real situation. Putin's regime is not insanely corrupt, it's just that certain generals sabotaged the army. Ukraine's army is not strong, Russia is just fighting against the entire NATO. etc., etc.

People take their own death too seriously. Dying is usually fairly easy for the dier, it's the surviving that suffer.
Also, I was not shelled personally in the 90s, just had to run to air raid shelters a few times when they dropped a bomb or two. You do what you have to do, it's as simple as that, and not something unimaginably terrible that you can't joke about it because you have something rigid up your ass.
Bozhe moi, you really want to die on this hill?

Bozhe moi, you really want to die on this hill?
That hill was invented by people who find me irritating and/or can't stomach perfectly normal black humor. It's not my hill.

Back to the topic, I think the surrender of the Azov definitely-not-Nazi guys works best for Ukraine, as long as they are imprisoned somewhere and don't enter the news cycle again by, say, show trials.
Let the focus be on regular Ukrainian soldiers defending their country.

Although it seems the hardcore types are still holed up and there's no good way out for them. For all I care, they could follow the Fuhrer and be done with it.

Last edited:
Europeans ****ing turtles in the brothels of Amsterdam.

Man, I've really been missing out on some great parties these last two years.

If I understand how Russian propaganda works correctly, they will have to consider the possibility of Russian army failing to achieve any declared goals of the campaign and prepare the groundwork for saving Putin's face. Putin is not a moron, his generals simply lied to him about the real situation. Putin's regime is not insanely corrupt, it's just that certain generals sabotaged the army. Ukraine's army is not strong, Russia is just fighting against the entire NATO. etc., etc.

Ah, right.. Well, the propaganda game has been in full swing from the beginning. By not calling it a war but special operation, by setting certain hard to measure goals like denazifying.. And since nobody knows where the goalpost is supposed to go, nobody notices if they move it just a couple of feet closer. But the sanctions has made it almost impossible to hide from the Russian people how bad it is. Moskvitsj is starting up in the old Renault factory and McDonalds has left Russia for good this time. Moskvitsj being a USSR invention and the coming of the McDonalds was celebrated at the end of the USSR, it is quite symbolic.

Back to the topic, I think the surrender of the Azov definitely-not-Nazi guys works best for Ukraine, as long as they are imprisoned somewhere and don't enter the news cycle again by, say, show trials.
Let the focus be on regular Ukrainian soldiers defending their country.

Although it seems the hardcore types are still holed up and there's no good way out for them. For all I care, they could follow the Fuhrer and be done with it.
Were they even half of the force stuck in there? And, more importantly, you think Russkies will care to make a distinction between them more than you did?

Moskvitsj is starting up in the old Renault factory and McDonalds has left Russia for good this time. Moskvitsj being a USSR invention and the coming of the McDonalds was celebrated at the end of the USSR, it is quite symbolic.
McDonalds has closed its venues in Ukraine as well btw. Are they trying to save the Golden Arches theory?
Were they even half of the force stuck in there? And, more importantly, you think Russkies will care to make a distinction between them more than you did?
This is not even a real conversation.
What is neo nazism? It is an ideology that glorifies dictatorial authoritarian power, opressive regimentation of the society and economy, attacks on racial/ethnic minorities, antisemitism/holocaust denial, primate of a certain ethnicity over others, denial of other nations' sovereignty if they are deemed inferior, homophobia, etc.
None of this can be traced in Ukraine even to the level of many EU countries. And all of this is a part of the mainstream political culture in Russia. Get real.

I've had enough of these useful idiots running around with some photos of a handful of Ukrainian volunteers with neo-nazi symbols and smearing entire regiments/army/nation as neo-nazi. Obviously ignoring Totenkopf badges, intertwined triangles, proto-arian sun/swastikas worn by DNR soldiers and Russian volunteers. And the actual actions of the corresponding states and the cultural atmosphere within the societies.
Ultra-right and ultra-left people show up everywhere there's violence. That's just how it is. Questionable neo-nazi symbols are not illegal neither in Ukraine nor in Russia. We see that **** very rarely among the soldiers, but sometimes it happens on both sides. If we saw Azov actually perpetrating crimes against the humanity, we'd crack down on them. While Russians decorated the regiments that raped and executed people in Bucha and other towns in the north with elite status. That's what actually bugs me.

Let's make an educated guess here (and I hope for a correction from someone who knows what went on).
I'd speculate that the soldiers who surrendered were not particularly Nazi, and can expect normal POW treatment.
The ones that are holed up, however, had a reason not to surrender. Let's guess that they have tattoos, social media activity, photos, videos or other evidence that connects them to Nazi leanings and unpleasant acts against Russians, so they can expect worse treatment.
I can't think of a good reason not to surrender, especially when you have the Red Cross watching over the proceedings.
Think of how the Soviets separated the SS and police units from regular Wehrmacht when they captured them, and their different fates.

This is not even a real conversation.
What is neo nazism? It is an ideology that glorifies dictatorial authoritarian power, opressive regimentation of the society and economy, attacks on racial/ethnic minorities, antisemitism/holocaust denial, primate of a certain ethnicity over others, denial of other nations' sovereignty if they are deemed inferior, homophobia, etc.
None of this can be traced in Ukraine even to the level of many EU countries. And all of this is a part of the mainstream political culture in Russia. Get real.

I've had enough of these useful idiots running around with some photos of a handful of Ukrainian volunteers with neo-nazi symbols and smearing entire regiments/army/nation as neo-nazi. Obviously ignoring Totenkopf badges, intertwined triangles, proto-arian sun/swastikas worn by DNR soldiers and Russian volunteers. And the actual actions of the corresponding states and the cultural atmosphere within the societies.
Ultra-right and ultra-left people show up everywhere there's violence. That's just how it is. Questionable neo-nazi symbols are not illegal neither in Ukraine nor in Russia. We see that **** very rarely among the soldiers, but sometimes it happens on both sides. If we saw Azov actually perpetrating crimes against the humanity, we'd crack down on them. While Russians decorated the regiments that raped and executed people in Bucha and other towns in the north with elite status. That's what actually bugs me.
Nice justifications of nazi leanings mixed with weak whataboutism about Russians. You are alt-right, trust me.

Nice justifications of nazi leanings mixed with weak whataboutism about Russians. You are alt-right, trust me.
I could take you seriously if your posts had any substance at all.
For example, what exactly do you call nazi leanings? Any facts? Ethnic cleansings? Racial superiority ideology? A repressive political machine? Authoritarian/totalitarian politics? Expansionism rooted in racial mythology? Anything? Have you got one thing to link me or my country to nazi leanings?

Also.. whataboutism about Russians? Those are real things that are unraveling before the eyes of the entire world. You can't be serious.

I have no reason to trust you. You have given me many to not trust you. Still, you sound like a troll and not much more.

seems like generally a good time to preemptively repost this from earlier in the thread.
Azov Battalion have self-identified as Nazis several times, and claimed over 30% of their personnel identify as Nazis. They wear Nazi symbols (like the black sun) on their uniforms. They're not shy about it, but they are a small portion of the Ukrainian military and not a good representation of it. As far as I can tell, they were only given official recognition as a Ukrainian national guard unit because they had effectively organized themselves during the annexation of Crimea. Monty's spot on.

For anyone who may be curious, forum staff will not allow pro-invasion rhetoric on this platform, and Russian propaganda material is only tolerated for academic interest and analysis. It's to be kept in this thread, and accurately labeled for what it is when it is posted. This thread will not become a pocket of anti-Ukrainian sentiment or dehumanization. It will also not become a safe haven for dehumanizing Russians, who are subjected to such propaganda every day. Remember that those who believe the propaganda are also being abused by their state. They are not faultless in this, but they are still human. There are also many Russians who are against the invasion, and do not believe their government's reporting.

It’s a reasonable remark if outdated but my questions still stand. I do not accept this “guilty by association” rhetoric. When I am being called alt-right I read it as being called nazi, because if there is nuance I don’t understand it. And I need better moderation here because when I call someone a **** I get a warning, but when I’m being called a nazi, we’ll that’s a more serious insult and less based in reality.

that's not intended as a response to your questions, but a general note of the moderation position on the general discussion as a reminder to anyone reading, since the topic came up again.

and well, he called you alt right, and regardless of whether or not you are that's not really what i'd call flaming. if he had said nazi, it would be more borderline, but he didn't.

as i'm sure he will tell you i'm entirely happy to warn or mute him again if he steps over the line, but i don't see that being the case here yet.

It’s a reasonable remark if outdated but my questions still stand. I do not accept this “guilty by association” rhetoric. When I am being called alt-right I read it as being called nazi, because if there is nuance I don’t understand it. And I need better moderation here because when I call someone a **** I get a warning, but when I’m being called a nazi, we’ll that’s a more serious insult and less based in reality.
Just don't take the bait. If people want to slander you, stop responding to them. If someone calls you a nazi or alt-right or whatever, it's more of an indication of the negative state of their mind than yours.

Just don't take the bait. If people want to slander you, stop responding to them. If someone calls you a nazi or alt-right or whatever, it's more of an indication of the negative state of their mind than yours.
That's obvious advice when reacting to a troll. But it's obvious also that an efficient troll will find your weak spot and strike at an opportune time.
I have not been as terrified and angry in my entire life. And this putinoid narrative really adds insult to injury.
Yesterday I've learned of more "Buchas" uncovered in freed settlements of Kharkiv region. More people executed, women and small children raped. I wish I could pretend it's governmental propaganda. But unfortunately, due to my professional ties, I know for a fact that this is true and it happens en masse. It makes me stay awake at night.

Inappropriate behavior
< snip >

And as much fun as I've had with Madvader over the years, and how difficult it is to believe that the hill he chose to die on is paedophilia, in this thread he's basically saying that Russia's war crimes are A-OKAY because some of the thousands of people serving in the Azov battalion between 2014 and 2022 were actual nazis, so they all lost their human rights. That's not how anything works.

Also, Weaver, I know we've butted heads before when it came to feminism and other things, and I'm sure we would do so in the future again, but Finland stands with Ukraine 100% because we know exactly what you're going through. Once Putin is dead and the Z-orcs have been vanquished, we can go back to debate about skirt lengths vis-a-vis cat-calls and other stuff that civilized people politely discuss. Meanwhile, stay alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom