Custom Servers Beta Test & Battle Mode

Users who are viewing this thread

My limited playtime on Battle gives me a little bit of hope but I just can't see how you're going to have a balanced game that doesn't snowball like **** with the class system. And even further I feel like TW is wasting their own time trying to "balance" all the classes for several different game modes when as soon as a proper mod tool and support comes out everyone is gonna switch to "Native+" or whatever it will be called that gives the older community what it wants. And then the newer guys gonna be playing on half populated servers and see the Native+ ones full, and probably either give up or switch to Native+ too.

From the very start of the alpha people warned you this would happen...

Yeah, custom maps are working great. Modding is limited but I think that's enough for starting. Asked a kind guy to let me test some stuff and I will show some results. Tho ship thing is not 100% finished. It is just a proof of concept.

Ship battle on the open sea with player-controlled ships + Destructible and helicopter there is no de-sync whatsoever

Basic musket + changed animations (tho I recorded this one without adding the file to the server because I don't have access to server files or the VPS of the server. I tested and the owner was not there but it still works as client-sided also should work better when it is uploaded to the server)

I can send the files for both to anyone who is interested to test it. Just PM me

Hello all, you may have noticed by now that a few extra servers popped up on the server list. We're conducting a beta test of the custom servers with a few community members. They're able to host custom games on local computers as well as dedicated servers.

We're currently not accepting new test participants. The purpose of this test is to identify any critical issues, ensure stability and gather early feedback.

As soon as the test is completed and any critical issues rectified, we'll release custom server files for everyone to use.

You may find yourself playing the battle mode on these custom servers hosted by the community members. Please note that the battle mode on 171 isn't fully implemented and can as such contain various balance issues, missing UI,... Battle mode will be added fully once Beta 172 moves to the main version.

Enjoy and happy testing!
So far so good! Looking forward to more administrator tools, documentation and damage logs.
Quick question for @Callum AND @NIN3 (since he seems to be the main man behind multiplayer maps) regarding map hosting in the future for server hosters.

Is it worth it for us to begin working on our maps now? While some features such as flag spawns and entry points are not in our version of the mod tools yet, once those features are added we will be able to add them retroactively to our maps correct? I imagine it will be ok but most of us are not familiar with your map tools yet. Are there any special circumstances such as entity limits or performance recommendations in regards to overall map size that the community map makers should be aware of before we start creating?
It is worth it yes. But its not clear on how and if servers will support custom maps.

I am working on a documentation on how to create scenes for multiplayer (in regards to our game modes) at the moment.
We've already had several questions regarding submissions of custom maps. So we're definitely excited to see what the community imaginations come up with.

Id really like to see a version of battle mode tested that is a fixed 3 rounds and players have a set 550 gold no matter what.

If we're going to have asymmetric classes then giving a gold bonus that lets you stay as the OP classes for every round is kinda busted and leads to snowballing that is extremely difficult to come back from. Setting it at a fixed amount would lead to some trade offs and strategy both for the individual who is deciding what class to go and at a macro level with teams needing to work out their class compositions.

Id really like to see a version of battle mode tested that is a fixed 3 rounds and players have a set 550 gold no matter what.

If we're going to have asymmetric classes then giving a gold bonus that lets you stay as the OP classes for every round is kinda busted and leads to snowballing that is extremely difficult to come back from. Setting it at a fixed amount would lead to some trade offs and strategy both for the individual who is deciding what class to go and at a macro level with teams needing to work out their class compositions.
Normally I’d disagree, as I don’t like removing features and aspects of a game for simplicity’s sake but, to be honest, you’re right. It really doesn’t work well and is implemented horribly and, sadly, would as you mention add a (better) layer of strategy. Obviously don’t put this on all servers as there are some people who like the class system (none I have ever met), but it can’t hurt to try.

Normally I’d disagree, as I don’t like removing features and aspects of a game for simplicity’s sake but, to be honest, you’re right. It really doesn’t work well and is implemented horribly and, sadly, would as you mention add a (better) layer of strategy. Obviously don’t put this on all servers as there are some people who like the class system (none I have ever met), but it can’t hurt to try.
Losing the ability to go cav while the other team can continue to go heavy cav completely breaks many of the maps for the losing team

The gold/cav issue might be a bit worse on NA Battle because we're doing first-to-five. I think less rounds would help. But a lot people don't want to disconnect/reconnect that often. Once we get map voting and seamless transition between maps, we might be able to reduce the number of rounds so they don't drag on if it's a stomp.

The gold/cav issue might be a bit worse on NA Battle because we're doing first-to-five. I think less rounds would help. But a lot people don't want to disconnect/reconnect that often. Once we get map voting and seamless transition between maps, we might be able to reduce the number of rounds so they don't drag on if it's a stomp.
What's the backend issue preventing seamless map transition?

It is worth it yes. But its not clear on how and if servers will support custom maps.

I am working on a documentation on how to create scenes for multiplayer (in regards to our game modes) at the moment.
I urge TW to support custom maps on servers like Warband did, look at the massive backlog of maps some servers can choose of. This was what Warband native casual servers kept running for a decade.
I really hope custom map support is not an optional thing to implement for TW, it is probably harder to implement than Warband but a massive strength of the games and keeping the diversity in the game.

Ty for your hard work

I urge TW to support custom maps on servers like Warband did, look at the massive backlog of maps some servers can choose of. This was what Warband native casual servers kept running for a decade.
I really hope custom map support is not an optional thing to implement for TW, it is probably harder to implement than Warband but a massive strength of the games and keeping the diversity in the game.

Ty for your hard work
The good news is that they seem to be working so far on custom servers, according to a post at the top of the page. I imagine at this point no 'support' really means they won't be providing fixes, no auto-download and can't be held to blame if things go wrong.

I suppose this is fair enough until they fix up the bigger issues like crashes. The sooner they can start to get some real support out the better of course.

The situation is a little confusing at the moment.

The official stance is that support for custom maps and mods is coming later down the line, but there are some videos like this:

Does this mean that custom maps and mods, as some have previously suggested in this thread, will be possible but that official support - whatever that entails in this scenario, I don’t know how it works - isn’t coming until later?

I guess "official support" just means 'if it works it works, we make no promises, and if things break it's not our problem until we do offer official support'. Which is better than 'it won't work and we'll shut you down if it does'.

Any clarification on this from TaleWorlds? Will you prevent unsupported modded servers from operating (again) if people do mod the game before you do offer official support?

The situation is a little confusing at the moment.

The official stance is that support for custom maps and mods is coming later down the line, but there are some videos like this:

Does this mean that custom maps and mods, as some have previously suggested in this thread, will be possible but that official support - whatever that entails in this scenario, I don’t know how it works - isn’t coming until later?

I don't know what specifically is happening in that video, but from what I tested the client and server both need the custom map. If the client doesn't have the custom map, it will crash when trying to join the server if it's on that map.

Back
Top Bottom