Can we please get an alternative to "governor perks"?

Users who are viewing this thread

While I like the perk system I don´t think that all perks are fine for the level you get them.

The worst offender are of course all governour perks because they are just useless for the player. All governor related stuff should change into something useful when the player picks the perk.

But also some other perks are just badly balanced and feel not worth for the level you unlock them, just a few examples:

Polearm 175:

It takes a long time to even get to 175+ and then you choose between:

A)
Party Leader: All inf gets +30 melee but only while in shieldwall formation
Captain: +3% Polearm damage

In my opinion nothing I get excited about for a level 175 perk.

B)
Captain: -20% morale loss
Governor: Inf - 20% wages

This is just useless as a player, so in my Opinion it´s not even a choice. I´ll take A) in every game I play. Maybe it´s just my playstyle but I don´t see any use for B) compared to A) as a player.

Athletics 175:

A)
Party Leader: -20% speed penaly when overburdned
Governor: 20% hearts increase for villages

Partly Leader okay fine but Governor? I as a player will not be using the second part. But I would love a AI governor with this perk. But for that I have to get this companion to ****ing level 175 in athelitics which just takes ages (in real life not ingame)!

B)
Personal: Endurance +1
Governor: +1 loyaltiy / day

Again governor and also not that big for a level 175 athletics skill.

Those are just two examples but there are many many more perks where the choice between A) and B) isn´t really a choice, at least not for us players.

Or are there players here really beeing a governor as a player so that they use those perks? Maybe it´s just my playstyle, I don´t know. But I would prefer it if everything with governor would be replaced by something else for the player.

It´s also "stupid" that the governor stuff is so spread out, most if not all of them should be in Social/Intelligence "trees". I don´t like it that I have to use a potential AI governor as a warrior in thousands (!) of battles to get governor perks for him when they are in the "combat related perktrees".

I know it´s by far a priority but I hope that TW maybe rethink some of this stuff related to perks.

Why they thought having perks that are completely useless to the player is beyond me. Taleworlds has made some really strange game design decisions for Bannerlord and imho this is near the top of the list. :unsure:

Agree, biggest issue with the perks is how seemingly 'random' they are as split out between the different attributes and skills. Some are no brainers for the individual and/or can only be utilized by the player, but then there's also your companions, governors, etc...how are those worthwhile for them, especially when gaining skills for them is much harder?
Ie. Leadership should only provide perks related to party effects, stewardship for governor related perks (not sure how governor perks work for the player?), athletics for field battle/movement, etc...

I forgot that I´m not even sure if you can be governor as a player because I never wanted to be a governor because why should I as a player? Just beeing a in settlement isn´t that much fun.

You cant be AFAIK. The simplest/easiest solution would be to have the option to assign yourself as governor to one settlement without being there. At least this way the player can make use of the second perk bonus (gameplay vs realism)

You cant be AFAIK. The simplest/easiest solution would be to have the option to assign yourself as governor to one settlement without being there. At least this way the player can make use of the second perk bonus (gameplay vs realism)
:unsure:

Sounds good, so TW doesn´t even need to change much if we as a players can be governors while we do the fun stuff.

I dont know if it is a bug, but currently I set a companion as governor of a city, applies its boni but is God knows where in Battania.

My suggestion would be that settlements with no governor got the bonuses from the owner instead, and for that I tried two things and both are really easy and small changes in code.

1. Apply only when spending time in the settlement
2. Apply when the owner is within X distance from the settlement

I would go with the second, I don't see a player spending too much time waiting inside for bonuses to take place. Since it is not better than assigning a dedicated governor as you might be forced to move away and the AI would benefit from it as well, maybe even more than the player, I don't think it would unbalanced.

Edit:
Or instead of simply ceasing after X distance, the bonuses could receive a gradual reduction as you move further away.

I like your second option! Hell, it could easily be tied to the battle map region (or whatever it is called) the city or the castle is positioned in. Diminishing buffs based on distance can be problematic if the perk is in the category of getbuff/dontgetbuff.

Polearm 200 skill Drills : All troops in your party gain additional 1 xp per day. Best perk in game xd

Player should be Governor By default just like he's Party's scout/medicine etc and then you could assign an NPC that has some perks/Culture that you dont for buffs.

Polearm 200 skill Drills : All troops in your party gain additional 1 xp per day. Best perk in game xd
But at least everyone will profit from this perk, sure the profit is kind of worthless but there are still worse examples where you gain like nothing as a player from high level perks.

And it feels so ****ing bad to grind whatever skill to 200+ to get "nothing" for that.

I really hope TW is aware of this problem and maybe change something in the future.

Player should be Governor By default just like he's Party's scout/medicine etc and then you could assign an NPC that has some perks/Culture that you dont for buffs.
Generous Rations is okay though since it's +5 hp for all troops in your party. I mean.... it'd be GOOD if it was like +50 hp.... but whatever...
But I agree, it'd be fine to give the governor bonuses to any owned fief that doesn't have one assigned. Oh is that OP? Is it? Guess what, there's no real advantage to owning more then one fief anyways! The best play is to use them all to make new clans asap! So you'll hardly be using more then one fief for very long if you play well!

The best play is to use them all to make new clans asap! So you'll hardly be using more then one fief for very long if you play well!
Yep, that´s the endgame loop for me after creating my own kingdom with one starting fief (town):

Capture next castle/town, make one of your companions your vassal. Sometimes do the quests in your town/villages and clear bandit hideouts.
The only difference is who I´m fighting, that changes of course.

Repeat this until the map is painted because there is nothing else to do in the game at this stage. Sure you could roleplay a trader and playing a clicker game and doing the same stuff (buy X cheap, sell X expensive) forever. Or of course you could play as a bandit, just kidding you can´t do that.

It seems like the game was designed as a "one time experience" and I believe it works very very good in this case. But an open world sanbox game should be about goals you set yourself to achieve. To try out different things in your second playthrough but Bannerlord doesn´t offer enough viable options.

A new players experience is like:

"Oh my god, there is so much stuff I can do. It has a level/perk system so I can roleplay a 2h berserker but with very high charme, omg! There is so much stuff happening in the world, I can see lords travelling and doing stuff, it´s amazing. And it even has 4 different factions with different playstyle. It has prisoners and a morale system! Even a dozens of different quests and relations to different nobles. Oh my ****ing god, those battles are awesome and look very intense, can´t wait to see the huge battles! It´s gonna be amazing to see what is possible in this game."

But after ~50 hours you´ll have discovered that most of this stuff is just "cosmetic" and offer no real options. The game is wide but not deep, that´s a big problem for me.

Last edited:
I forgot that I´m not even sure if you can be governor as a player because I never wanted to be a governor because why should I as a player? Just beeing a in settlement isn´t that much fun.

Being in a settlement is no fun at all. There is 0 reason to actually enter a settlement and time is halted when you are in a settlement. It'd be interesting if you would walk around the town and a messenger would run up to you stating that some bandits attacked a settlement or something. But the only way you can apply those perks right now is to AFK in a settlement and just stare at the worldmap, hoping that an army could come your way and forever end your misery.

Being in a settlement is no fun at all. There is 0 reason to actually enter a settlement and time is halted when you are in a settlement. It'd be interesting if you would walk around the town and a messenger would run up to you stating that some bandits attacked a settlement or something. But the only way you can apply those perks right now is to AFK in a settlement and just stare at the worldmap, hoping that an army could come your way and forever end your misery.
Do the perks actually apply when you idle in a town? I did not know that! I mean I dont know anyone who would want to do that but heh

I don´t think the perks apply when you idle in a town but I´m not sure, but even if they work in this case they are not worth it. Nobody is staying long in any settlement because you can´t do anything there that needs time (healing is the only exception).

Even if you could command your other parties while you´re in a town it wouldn´t be worth it.

Do the perks actually apply when you idle in a town? I did not know that! I mean I dont know anyone who would want to do that but heh
No they don't. There are different NON-governor perks such as Presence and Parade that give bonus while you idle in a town, presence actual was working in towns you didn't own too which I think is an oversight, not sure if it's fixed yet... because yeah who does that?

Back
Top Bottom