Custom servers are great, but the cosmetic system is still flawed

Users who are viewing this thread

Younes

Grandmaster Knight
The loot system. It just isn't going to work with custom servers.

When people inevitably do start playing the multiplayer, they will make no use of the emblems or cosmetic system because they will earn no loot on their favorite server. It's understandable and normal to not have loot earned in custom servers.

But this is just such a big oversight in the design of the system, and no, telling people they should play the matchmaking or official servers instead of their favorite custom server to earn loot is not okay and is terrible design. Forcing people to play something they do not enjoy for the sake of progressing will never work.

Will there been anything to address this issue? Something like a fully unlocked armory for custom servers?

I think the issue is that on a custom server you can change or even mod some things that might make farming xp or loot possible.

For example, if loot is given out each map then you could change the map time to 1 minute and sit afk on the server.

I think the issue is that on a custom server you can change or even mod some things that might make farming xp or loot possible.

For example, if loot is given out each map then you could change the map time to 1 minute and sit afk on the server.
Well yeah it's understandable for that reason to not have it. It's why the cosmetic system in the first place seems like an issue for the game if almost no one will actually earn it.

Is it not possible to define some server parameters, e.g., round time, #players, etc, that when used would allow for loot to be given? So, depending on the mod this would not break the loot rewards.

Paradox uses this concept in CK3 for the custom character/dna creation and Ironman mode.

I agree that this is a huge problem. The people most passionate about skins typically want to play casual modes/servers the most.

However, the games I've played with a similar reward system had players abusing it by farming while AFK. Additionally, it seems like modding opens up a number of exploits for how much loot is gained that is difficult for TW to prevent.

I hope that a compromise is possible, such as master server time-based gains that modded servers can't interfere with.

I'm no developer, but I'm guessing the client knows if you're "on a custom server" or not, so that seems like a place that servers can't tamper with. Maybe TW doesn't know what you do while on a server, so people could AFK on a server with disabled kick-timers, but this prevents excessive abuse.

This would encourage people to play TW's official modes without feeling like they're being railroaded into playing something they don't want to.

I agree that this is a huge problem. The people most passionate about skins typically want to play casual modes/servers the most.

However, the games I've played with a similar reward system had players abusing it by farming while AFK. Additionally, it seems like modding opens up a number of exploits for how much loot is gained that is difficult for TW to prevent.

I hope that a compromise is possible, such as master server time-based gains that modded servers can't interfere with.

I'm no developer, but I'm guessing the client knows if you're "on a custom server" or not, so that seems like a place that servers can't tamper with. Maybe TW doesn't know what you do while on a server, so people could AFK on a server with disabled kick-timers, but this prevents excessive abuse.

This would encourage people to play TW's official modes without feeling like they're being railroaded into playing something they don't want to.
TW could also whitelist servers or set requirements for servers to meet to enable loot on those servers.
So if TW trusts the hosters they can enable it or the server needs to run within certain boundaries to allow the earning of loot.

Would require a bit more work but might be a good middle ground. More interaction between the community and TW :wink:

TW could also whitelist servers or set requirements for servers to meet to enable loot on those servers.
So if TW trusts the hosters they can enable it or the server needs to run within certain boundaries to allow the earning of loot.

Would require a bit more work but might be a good middle ground. More interaction between the community and TW :wink:
Whitelisted servers sounds like a good idea

Get rid of the loot system all together lol its clear that everything TW has done thusfar (before releasing the private servers) in regards to multiplayer has been completely and totally wrong, this is proven by the fact that the game was dead just a week ago and warband had more players. Clearly, their esports meme did not work and should be discarded completely, get rid of captain and skirmish mode, get the class system from warband back and get rid of the microtransaction garbage. If you want the game to succeed, if not, try to mix it with the private servers.

You can farm it now anyway. I went to the EU TDM server, sat in an obscure corner and tabbed out. Got as much loot as a siege battle I sweated my ass of for. The most efficient way to get loot is skirmish battles imo but those are dead now that custom servers have eaten up most of the MP population (East NA anyway). The way loot is distributed is bad, its trying hard to avoid farming while enabling the most passive farming there is.

You can farm it now anyway. I went to the EU TDM server, sat in an obscure corner and tabbed out. Got as much loot as a siege battle I sweated my ass of for.
Just sounds like an awful way to play a game.

I really hope something is done for this, because i am sure many including myself are in no mood to spend hours doing something they do not enjoy just to essentially be able to play a part of the game.

You can farm it now anyway. I went to the EU TDM server, sat in an obscure corner and tabbed out.
Damn it, do you even realize that such an idiotic act creates a negative opinion about the game among other players and they leave it? And what the hell is loot then? What would be a stylish troll? Such behavior should be severely punished. It is possible for you to poop on other people's opinions as well as their rights and interests in general, but I still hope this is just a dumb guess and not a reference to your actual actions.

Get rid of the loot system all together lol its clear that everything TW has done thusfar (before releasing the private servers) in regards to multiplayer has been completely and totally wrong, this is proven by the fact that the game was dead just a week ago and warband had more players. Clearly, their esports meme did not work and should be discarded completely, get rid of captain and skirmish mode, get the class system from warband back and get rid of the microtransaction garbage. If you want the game to succeed, if not, try to mix it with the private servers.
Feel free to keep Captain and skirmish in the game. Once we have a normal Warband-like battle mode, we'll see if Skirmish does have a chance to survive (doubting it tbh) and if there will be a skirmish community establishing over time.
What we need for sure is the class and equipment system from Warband, I absolutely agree with you on that point. Altough I don't see this ever happening on an official way from TW side. There has been a lot of headwind from the community on that topic in the last years and nothing happened. Lets hope for a modding solution on this asap (whenever it will be possible to have this available on custom servers; can't even believe that we are in year 3 of EA already).

Whitelisted servers does seem the best compromise for loot, but i honestly doubt taleworlds is going to do anything about it. The cosmetic system will be left to rot.

Damn it, do you even realize that such an idiotic act creates a negative opinion about the game among other players and they leave it? And what the hell is loot then? What would be a stylish troll? Such behavior should be severely punished. It is possible for you to poop on other people's opinions as well as their rights and interests in general, but I still hope this is just a dumb guess and not a reference to your actual actions.
I tested it once to prove a point you ****ing weirdo

It would be nice of we had a custom server armory customization were everything is unlocked and you can pick whatever you want for your classes, that way you dont have to give out loot and everyone is happy, this also allows custom servers to mod in what items they want to have available so you can get things normally not on official servers.

Feel free to keep Captain and skirmish in the game. Once we have a normal Warband-like battle mode, we'll see if Skirmish does have a chance to survive (doubting it tbh) and if there will be a skirmish community establishing over time.
What we need for sure is the class and equipment system from Warband, I absolutely agree with you on that point. Altough I don't see this ever happening on an official way from TW side. There has been a lot of headwind from the community on that topic in the last years and nothing happened. Lets hope for a modding solution on this asap (whenever it will be possible to have this available on custom servers; can't even believe that we are in year 3 of EA already).

Agreed. If battle becomes the standard competitive mode, then I hope TW would switch their ranked servers to recognize it.

I know many people live and die by custom servers for M&B competitive, but there needs to be a better bridge for getting new/casual players involved in competitive if we want it to grow.

I know that EU and NA have community ELO and matchmaking, but that's inherently restrictive compared to officially supported modes. (Also, in NA, you're forced to listen to people scream slurs at each other if you want to get into the matchmaking, which is another barrier to entry.)

You can farm it now anyway. I went to the EU TDM server, sat in an obscure corner and tabbed out. Got as much loot as a siege battle I sweated my ass of for. The most efficient way to get loot is skirmish battles imo but those are dead now that custom servers have eaten up most of the MP population (East NA anyway). The way loot is distributed is bad, its trying hard to avoid farming while enabling the most passive farming there is.
Didn't know you could do that. I assumed there would be an AFK-timer.

Since tws are keeping cosmetics, why not have it, instead of exploiting it by hiding and getting free loot, what bout when you get kills, assists or doing the objectives? Multiple kills in a row will give you more loot like doubled. Also winning a round

Back
Top Bottom