Love for MP is on the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm assuming the devs are checking this Let's say 0 percent means the next patch just started its work. And 100 percent means it's going into beta now. What percentage is the next patch at for it to be completed?
I'm not super tuned in but I know Patch e1.7.2 is in beta now. They announced the beta update via Steam on March 14th with some new features and such but when I tried it just didn't work. I've seen others say the same thing on steam forums and this board. I don't know if you have to be invited or if it was just down.

Theres actually alot of ways for them to make money off multiplayer without turning the playerbase against them, but its obvious multiplayer isnt a priority, and probably never will be. Its pretty short sighted, and hopefully they'll change their mind.

I’m curious what those ways are?

They have a second wave of potential new buyers for full launch, so it’s possible that they’d make more money if MP was developed more.

However, I doubt they want to take development away from SP, which is practically their entire prospective market after they killed interest in MP in the beta/EA.

They have a second wave of potential new buyers for full launch, so it’s possible that they’d make more money if MP was developed more.

However, I doubt they want to take development away from SP, which is practically their entire prospective market after they killed interest in MP in the beta/EA.
F2P Multiplayer + Paid Cosmetics x Battle Pass = Profit

Pathetic. Many of you pretend like microtransactions are somehow the only way to make a profit on a video game. Make a good video game, and you will turn a profit.
Took the words out of my mouth ✋?
And it saddens me that people think that having battle passes, microtransactions , live services and other BS are enought to make a good game

For one, start fostering a competitive community. Doesnt need hundreds of thousands of euro prize pools, start slow and see if theres any interest. Considering we've had over 10 years of competitive for Warband, and viewer wise Battle of Bucharest did pretty well, considering the tournament was pretty rushed, with little advertisement and build up. It'd be worth looking into seing what could happen. Start slow, with a few tournaments with a couple hundred euro for the winning team, maybe not even that much. Do some research on what people enjoy, maybe its 2v2s. It'd also make the game more appealing to sponsors, and players from other games.
Someone who knows Chiv and Mordhau better can correct me if I'm wrong here, but those games have had a few prize pooled tournaments right?

For the more casual side, skins are a given, sure. But why just armor? Give me a cooler looking killfeed, even if its just MY kill that shows up fancy, any way to stand out is good. Change the look of the team hud border (which doesnt even exist yet but reeeally should,) scoreboard, theres alot you can do with things like this, and you bet people would buy it.

Other than that, give us back the top left "you were killed by player using x weapon" and let us name our weapons. (have it cost like, a euro or something per weapon. Abit crap with the class system I know but it is what it is)
Give us stat track for the weapons we want, so we can see how many we've killed with our crappy little Hatchet. Hell go the extra mile and instead of having the empty screen at the end of the map, showcase the peoples weapons to give them some bragging rights.

Theres more obviously, but no point listing things that'll never be. Although thats more or less the purpose of this forum.

For one, start fostering a competitive community. Doesnt need hundreds of thousands of euro prize pools, start slow and see if theres any interest. Considering we've had over 10 years of competitive for Warband, and viewer wise Battle of Bucharest did pretty well, considering the tournament was pretty rushed, with little advertisement and build up. It'd be worth looking into seing what could happen. Start slow, with a few tournaments with a couple hundred euro for the winning team, maybe not even that much. Do some research on what people enjoy, maybe its 2v2s. It'd also make the game more appealing to sponsors, and players from other games.
Someone who knows Chiv and Mordhau better can correct me if I'm wrong here, but those games have had a few prize pooled tournaments right?

For the more casual side, skins are a given, sure. But why just armor? Give me a cooler looking killfeed, even if its just MY kill that shows up fancy, any way to stand out is good. Change the look of the team hud border (which doesnt even exist yet but reeeally should,) scoreboard, theres alot you can do with things like this, and you bet people would buy it.

Other than that, give us back the top left "you were killed by player using x weapon" and let us name our weapons. (have it cost like, a euro or something per weapon. Abit crap with the class system I know but it is what it is)
Give us stat track for the weapons we want, so we can see how many we've killed with our crappy little Hatchet. Hell go the extra mile and instead of having the empty screen at the end of the map, showcase the peoples weapons to give them some bragging rights.

Theres more obviously, but no point listing things that'll never be. Although thats more or less the purpose of this forum.

Competitive scenes are rarely profitable for the game studio, except for the branding and publicity. Even the most lucrative esports scenes hemorrhage money. League loses millions even with big boy sponsors, but they make it up by selling Seraphine skins.

Smaller studios mostly do it out of support for their community. I’m extremely doubtful that Chiv and Mordhau studios make money off of tournaments, and if their studio tried to control everything it would probably be even worse.

I tangentially agree that in order to have a player base, you need to keep the core of dedicated players happy, whether that means keeping an updated and compelling competitive scene (even if it’s speedruns) or a fantastic creator mode with plenty of depth (such as Geometry Dash, GMOD, Minecraft, etc, which are not competitive but have extremely dedicated communities). Bannerlord can be both, which makes it intruiging, if not for the extremely slow development.

I thought your ideas for paid addons in the game are decent, but I think the game needs an UI overhaul for stuff like that to work. At least personally, it feels too indie to justify buying flex stuff like that.

From your suggestions I’m envisioning something like the Apex cards, which I thought worked pretty well and looked good. (I haven’t played in a while so idk what their current state is.)

If siege became popular as it was in Warband, I could see farmer skins or crowns or other RP stuff selling.

Make a good video game, and you will turn a profit.

Took the words out of my mouth ✋?
And it saddens me that people think that having battle passes, microtransactions , live services and other BS are enought to make a good game

In response to the other comments:

Since we live in the real world, Taleworlds knows that most of their prospective MP players have already bought the game, so they’ve gotten nearly all potential income for MP.

You can argue that they promised certain things under the price tag, but if memory serves, MP was a couple lines long and basically just stated that there would be MP.

Slinging “Good games sell!” at them when they’ve already sold the game is not effective. What new market are they selling it to? How are they making money? Your response was just to circle back to this one substanceless statement as if that answered any problems.

It doesn’t even work standalone: there’s hundreds if not thousands of “good” games that didn’t sell. No company is insane enough to have zero plans for advertisement or income with this stapled above their board room.

TW is not a non-profit, and it’s blatantly obvious why MP has received so little attention thus far.

Our response to this can either be to throw meaningless feels-good slogans at them and attempt to convince a company that money doesn’t matter, or to accept reality and look for ways to grow MP based on how other games have grown.

Last edited:
it works in a feedback loop, the devs dont expect MP to be profitable maybe because they failed to actually implement a decent MP into the game when it was first released, so then no players play because it sucks and it keeps on going as a cycle. No good updates = no players = no revenue = no good updates ect. The time for revival is long gone

Well, TW might want to have happy fans when they eventually release new games/DLCs...

And also, some of the problems have been releated to bad design choices and wrong focus by the manpower MP has had

In response to the other comments:

Since we live in the real world, Taleworlds knows that most of their prospective MP players have already bought the game, so they’ve gotten nearly all potential income for MP.
Okay, but also there is a longer-term approach to monetizing the results of your work. You know about such intangible assets as a brand and goodwill, for example, right? Simplified it is written here:
Well, TW might want to have happy fans when they eventually release new games/DLCs...
and here:
taleworlds have chosen short term over long term gain. Building a loyal fanbase is much more profitable in the long term and that comes with making products that fit in the interests of the user - even if it means more work in the short term. That's the only reason bannerlord sold so well; they created warband in a way that pleased the audience and sustained them. Their next release will not sell nearly as well as bannerlord. And so if you're really looking for a financial incentive - it's to make a good game now to make sure people buy their next one.

You guys ever heard of a little game called Fortnite? It was a paid game until they copied pubg, made a battle royale, and went F2P. Maybe Bannerlord needs a battle royale mode. Where we dropping boys?

Slinging “Good games sell!” at them when they’ve already sold the game is not effective. What new market are they selling it to? How are they making money? Your response was just to circle back to this one substanceless statement as if that answered any problems.
We're talking about specifically MP, and it seems like you're ignoring that. I would bet my left ball that most people that have MP in mind haven't bought the game for either:

1. Custom servers
2. Game is not good enough

There is no new market to appeal to, they BARELY tapped into the people who want to buy the game for the MP in the first place. You pretend like 98% of people have already bought the game but i can tell you now that's completely wrong.

Singleplayer and multiplayer are in two completely different stages, get that bit of information in and then we can talk.

people might just hate the game right now, but it has awesome potential and perhaps it needs other game modes, take Fortnite, battlefield2042 was/is a disaster and warzone is dead many players jumped to Fortnite with the new zero build mode.

but when is the love coming to MP?

Thing is, your definition of good is completely different from TW vision. And yes, custom servers should have been added way earlier. The market was already appealed to when it released the game in EA.
When almost the whole player base during the alpha told them the fundamental were a mistake, they could easily change their vision. A vision doesn't have to be something constant that doesn't change, a vision of a good multiplayer isn't going to be done simply by TW doing their own thing, it was supposed to be a mix of how they do things and a mix of feedback from the community. But the feedback part was non-existent almost if not all.

About your second sentence, i told you already they didn't appeal or get anything from the MP because of how unfinished it is.

I literally have a clan of 200 people waiting to buy the game the second they release private servers/mods are able to be made for multiplayer. They tried going the "popular" route with their stupid captain and skirmish modes or whatever the hell they are called, and it didn't work. Its garbage. Nobody likes it. The multiplayer is dead by them going down that route. Doubling down on battle passes and skins, the same route, would just make it flop even harder. Actually, now that I think about it, not really, since it can't flop and fall any more than it already has.

Right!?

A couple of my old clan leaders won't go near this game until it has private servers. I literally bought my friend and old clan buddy this game and he refuses to play it; imagine that, someone buys you the game and you refuse to play it!

About your second sentence, i told you already they didn't appeal or get anything from the MP because of how unfinished it is.
That's right, but unfortunately, they showed a bad product quality to literally the highest amount of playerbase at that time, the most they can do now is appeal to the old playerbase, which is not a relatively high number especially for MP.

Back
Top Bottom