Bloc's Development Update : Epic Space Battle - Spacecrafts, Space Fleet AI

Users who are viewing this thread

Errayn

Sergeant Knight at Arms

Bannerlord - Epic Space Battle - Spacecrafts, Space Fleet AI​

Greetings warriors of Calradia!,

in this Development Update video, we take a look at some of the recent additions to the game that you can't yet download and experience straight away!

Things to note:

Every spacecraft has its own AI and very own targeting system in place (the reason why it tailed me for like one whole minute ) It's sometimes even too good, I had to make four different takes to get this video because, in previous trials, bots were just shooting me down. Spaceships contain 5 men crew, and they all instantly die once the spaceship is eliminated. Eliminated spacecraft floated in the air, ones that are close to the moon get crashed to the moon over time because of its gravitation. ( moon also rotates in scene, not sure if it's visible )

4t4hzzbik2n81.png

the ship is leaving the Legacy-Class Star Destroyer

A new control system is in place. The player can shoot laser with the mouse, and also rotate the ship. Can speed up to move forward, backward, right, or left, up or down. There is a speed limit for spacecraft types. i.e. Enemy spacecraft is slightly slower but has a more powerful laser.

A custom UI that shows speed, spaceships and protection. Protection is essentially spacecraft's health. u/s = unit/second, v/c = volt/charge - Player spacecraft gets a randomly generated name.

Code part took 1-1,5 days but overall with help of Errayn, it took 3 days to finalize the entire scene and video. Special and big thanks to Errayn since he created the scene and assembled the models and saved me from downloading the modding tools.

Also thanks Terco for giving a try to add armor that later gracefully failed ,

Almost all models are from lightwarrior in sketchfab.

Songs: Aliaksei Yukhnevich - Battle for the Universe, Aviators - Omnia Paratus
FAQ: No, it's not a mod - it's an idea that I'm playing around with, that's all.

2022-03-13_21.52.36.png

Space lord flys in space with X-Wing

And that’s it for Development Update Space Battle. Thanks for taking the time to watch the video, we really hope you enjoyed it!

If you have any thoughts or comments on any of the featured updates, please make sure to leave a reply in the comments section below.

Thanks again, and we hope to see you next time!

Join the conversation and comment on the forums! (69 comments)

Last edited:
small update

And a small note: Because AI now has different craft speeds and maneuver limits, they seem to look like they are in a circular motion in somewhere in the video - that's due to the fact that I didn't bother to tweak their AI limits and they are not exactly balanced. It's fairly easy to fix for production but I didn't bother for the demo video.

Another space battle demonstration in Bannerlord with 925 units.

Previous video got some copyright claim from music which was supposed to be no-copyright - and I had to mute music in the video. I didn't want to re-upload the same video, so I improved the mod a little more with a better AI/Collision System and a new ship.

Things to note:

- All the things that are mentioned in the video are still there. However with 1.7.1's last hotfix, something is broken in the engine side, hence I had to decrease the laser count in the scene. X-wings are no longer shooting 4 lasers at once but only 2.

- Hugely improved the performance. So that controlling ship is way smoother and the scene is able to render more units and ships.

- Created a better collision system for ships so that they don't ignore physical objects such as other ships/moon/mothership. ( Still far from perfect tho )

- Added a new powerful but slower enemy ship. ( Purple laser )

- Changed all stats and crew count for ships. X-wings now have 2 members in it. Enemy default ships have 5 and enemy heavy battleships have 15 people in them. X-wings are relatively faster than other ships but their laser is also weaker than other ships. Enemy heavy battleship is able to hit and destroy any X-wings on spot instantly but they have a higher cooldown rate for shooting and they are quite slow.

- I also spent a fair amount of time dealing with the tailed AI enemy ship. So.. AI is quite effective now.

Special and big thanks to Errayn as usual.

The new ship model is also from lightwarrior in sketchfab.

why would they?
If I´m not wrong they already hired modders in the past, I guess Duh was one of them or?

And I guess there is not much doubt about that Bloc has great skills, so why shouldn´t they?

It´s more about the person, like switching from the light to the dark site of the force :wink:

If I´m not wrong they already hired modders in the past, I guess Duh was one of them or?

And I guess there is not much doubt about that Bloc has great skills, so why shouldn´t they?

It´s more about the person, like switching from the light to the dark site of the force :wink:
Thing is, Bloc can only do the things he does because he's a modder. You would not see any of this creativity if he was actually hired by TW.
If they actually hired him, he'd probably have to work on boring stuff, like programming/coding equivalent of sheep textures.

Thing is, Bloc can only do the things he does because he's a modder. You would not see any of this creativity if he was actually hired by TW.
If they actually hired him, he'd probably have to work on boring stuff, like programming/coding equivalent of sheep textures.
+1 or he will try to do some of that stuff (like stealing, bringing back old quests, rp elements etc) and someone in taleworlds will say too complex in the meeting and that stuff will not be accepted. Then he will post his mod in nexus like (i believe/guess) @beybi123 does ( there is no evidence or explanation that this happened like this but I believe in Soon™ or who is making the decisions by my heart, story of this mod is something like that or worse )

Also, @mexxico is another good example.

Really depends how much the owner allows his team to brainstorm. Say he has 90% interns who are just hired to do a very specific task, not ask real questions or question overall design -than thats what we get. Now if he hires very creative and capable people who have deep drive for excellence and vision for aspects of the game -theres just a higher chance those features get the green light at their Zoom town hall meetings.

Back
Top Bottom