How do destroy kingdom in 1.7.0?

Users who are viewing this thread

I have taken every castle from the Northern Empire and they only have their own clan left. Its been over a year and they're still around. Normally for Empire, once they have no castles, they're destroyed and remaining lords join another kingdom, but this does not seem the case in 1.7.0.

How do you destroy a kingdom now? Do I have to execute their king?

I don't know but it frustrates me as well. They also always seem to have enough money to hire several mercenary factions even with no fiefs to raid my villages. If I want it to stop I have to pay THEM tribute even though I vastly outnumber them or I have to start taking heads, losing relation and getting undesirable personality traits.

They don't get destroyed. After a long long time (like years) the clans will start to join other factions, repeatedly beating them all up and ransoming them might help this by making the "faction" in poverty even more because the king gives money to the poor clans and they get mad when he finally runs out. The King will still run around hiring mercs though forever, it's really bad and adds absolutely nothing to the game to have the kings and factions persist like this. It's just more nonsense of trying to drag the game out without ADDING MORE CONTENT to it.

It's like if you were playing any other strategy game and were about to say GG, but then oh how about opponent takes 10 extra turns? Okay how about we just do that over and over forever? No, nobody would ever do that, it's boring (and humiliating if it was a person as opponent). To clear the map you have to really steamroll hard, but even then you're left with 50 homeless clans who can never fight back against your giant faction but will never join either.

We used to all assume the prolonged stuff was because more content would be added to make a longer game desirable, but updates come and come and still not a thing has been added.

I haven't tried it myself but others have said if you get rid of mercenaries via console commands it solves the problem. Taleworlds did it to stop snowballing but imho it's just a nuisance and very rarely does a clan come back from the brink of extinction. As @Ananda_The_Destroyer said defeated kings can somehow still hire mercs even though they're broke. :unsure: Taleworlds just shows they have no idea of how to balance this game.

I haven't tried it myself but others have said if you get rid of mercenaries via console commands it solves the problem. Taleworlds did it to stop snowballing but imho it's just a nuisance and very rarely does a clan come back from the brink of extinction.
You'd be surprised how much impact the mercenaries have on the ability for a kingdom that still has some land and clans in it to make a comeback , it is a good feature in that sense.
As @Ananda_The_Destroyer said defeated kings can somehow still hire mercs even though they're broke.
@SadShogun what are your thoughts about kingdoms dissolving once it gets down to just the ruling clan with no lands at all? At that point there is little to no chance of them rebuilding their kingdom even with mercenaries, so I think it be fair to consider them defeated.

The question then becomes, what do we do with ruling clans that dissolve their kingdom? I've got a few ideas.
1. Maybe once they lose all lands and are the only clan left, they can then be recruited by another kingdom and once that happens their kingdom dissolves.
2. Maybe after some time period (2 - 4 seasons) of being a solo clan with no lands, they become mercenaries.
3. If you didn't want to keep them in the game, remove them from the game and pop a message that says they have left the lands to return to their homelands or to start a new life in a different place.

You'd be surprised how much impact the mercenaries have on the ability for a kingdom that still has some land and clans in it to make a comeback , it is a good feature in that sense.

@SadShogun what are your thoughts about kingdoms dissolving once it gets down to just the ruling clan with no lands at all? At that point there is little to no chance of them rebuilding their kingdom even with mercenaries, so I think it be fair to consider them defeated.

The question then becomes, what do we do with ruling clans that dissolve their kingdom? I've got a few ideas.
1. Maybe once they lose all lands and are the only clan left, they can then be recruited by another kingdom and once that happens their kingdom dissolves.
2. Maybe after some time period (2 - 4 seasons) of being a solo clan with no lands, they become mercenaries.
3. If you didn't want to keep them in the game, remove them from the game and pop a message that says they have left the lands to return to their homelands or to start a new life in a different place.
This is something we are thinking on, the death/disappearance of the kingdoms. I do not have a clear idea on how it would be conducted though. For kingdoms to die, I believe there should be a way for new kingdom's to emerge as well yet this is a complicated process demanding high development and quality assurance effort.

One idea we have is that the kingdoms which "dissappeared" can reappear with certain conditions or events (such as low loyalty in several of that kingdoms original towns at the same time, or maybe "successful" rebellions can claim the ownership of the fall kingdom etc. Still these are hypothetical. Reducing them to mercenaries also requires a way for them to climb back up or there would be unwanted game states where all former clans are mercenary clans etc.

However I believe that original problem with destroying kingdom discussion stems from the fact that they keep spawning and returning to battle endlessly because of the way spawn mechanic works. Perhaps the spawn mechanic can be adjusted to reduce the strength / delay the spawn of the new parties created. So that the player does not have to micro manage and kill each member of the kingdom's clans.

This is something we are thinking on, the death/disappearance of the kingdoms.
Yes, yes, yes please.

Kingdoms continuing to live, gather forces on seemingly no income, get tons of mercenaries they don't have to pay, and raid your villages after you have already defeated them is really annoying, and just serves to add to the grind of the game rather than the challenge. I would love it if kingdoms simply knew when they were beaten.
I do not have a clear idea on how it would be conducted though
Warband did it well, as you probably already know - after too many days, say 10, without holding any territory, the AI kingdom is dissolved.

All the nobles in that faction will immediately either join another faction they have good enough relations with, or go "into exile" (permanently disappear).
For kingdoms to die, I believe there should be a way for new kingdom's to emerge as well yet this is a complicated process demanding high development and quality assurance effort.
I would love to see Taleworlds implement something like this in vanilla if it's not too difficult.

The reason I would like such a feature is to add a challenge to the very late-kingdom phase and the end-game, one which gives the dynasty features Taleworlds has created a purpose. Currently, after the player has conquered ~70% of the map, they have no serious opponents left for the entire process of capturing the last ~30%, so it becomes boring and pointless. And when they have conquered 100% of the map (end-game), they don't have any opponents at all except looters and rebels, both very easy to beat.

So, if new kingdoms popped up as a serious threat to the player in the stage where they have conquered 70%-100% of the map, that would add a fun challenge.

But as a player who wants to see the game be fun and not frustrating, I have three strong recommendations:

* If such a feature is so difficult it would hold up other features too much, I'd prefer to see the destruction of kingdoms implemented without it. After all, it could always be added separately later if TW so wished, possibly as part of a DLC. But kingdoms being destroyed is something that needs to happen for the player conquering the world to be less frustrating.

* New kingdoms emerging for their own sake should not happen just for the sake of deepening the simulation. It should happen with the goal of making the game more fun. This can be achieved by adding a credible, serious threat to the very late game which actually challenges the player.

* The phase of the game where your kingdom owns 1%-70% of the map is already challenging and grindy enough, so any feature which adds new kingdoms should not make this phase more challenging as the game would become awful! It should only make the very lategame/post-game more challenging.

So, here is how I could suggest such a feature being implemented in a way that achieves these goals: civil wars, where clans plot to secede from your kingdom.

Every year, one clan in each kingdom (including the player's) is selected randomly, and has a 1% chance of starting a Plot to secede from their kingdom.

This small chance is increased if the clan leader has low relation with the ruler, a different culture to the kingdom, or the Devious trait. It is also increased slightly if the kingdom holds 15 or more fiefs, and greatly increased if the kingdom holds more than 75 fiefs. It is decreased if the clan leader has Honest trait.

If the clan leader becomes a Plotter, they start trying to secretly convince clans to join them every few days, starting with the clans they have good relations with. Recruiting plotters is based on the clan leader's relations with the plotter, relations with the ruler, and Devious/Honest trait. The clan leader will either decide to secretly join the plot, say nothing (stay in the kingdom), or expose the plot to the ruler. The plotter can also ask the player to join if they are a vassal. When a plot starts in the player's kingdom, they get a "plot occurring" popup, which says: "Your spies hear rumours that an unruly noble plots to take over your kingdom by force, and is trying to recruit clans for a civil war! Make sure your armies are ready."

If the Plot is exposed, or the Plotter feels they have enough support, a Civil War is then openly declared. The Plotter, and any supporters they have gained, secede with all their fiefs, form a new kingdom ruled by the plotter (and of the same culture of the plotter), declare war on the old kingdom and will not accept peace. All seceding clans lose 50 relations with the ruler, and the plotter loses 20 relations worldwide for being a traitor. Players can choose to start a Plot as an alternative way of starting a kingdom, though it has those downsides.

That or something similar could achieve the goal of making the lategame/postgame more fun as once the player conquers all of Calradia, they can (if they choose) see how long their dynasty can hold it together in the face of civil wars. But it would avoid making the midgame too difficult as small kingdoms wouldn't have to worry about civil wars, only large ones.

One idea we have is that the kingdoms which "dissappeared" can reappear with certain conditions or events (such as low loyalty in several of that kingdoms original towns at the same time, or maybe "successful" rebellions can claim the ownership of the fall kingdom etc. Still these are hypothetical. Reducing them to mercenaries also requires a way for them to climb back up or there would be unwanted game states where all former clans are mercenary clans etc.
I don't necessarily think defeated kingdoms returning would make the game more fun, in fact possibly the opposite. There would need to be some quite major, counter-intuitive recovery features for an AI kingdom to claw its way back after losing its clans and fiefs. It also wouldn't be very representative of real life, deposed monarchies which lose all their territory and troops and supporters usually tend to stay deposed. And once the player has defeated an opponent, they want them to stay defeated, rather than clawing their way back over and over. If you make such a mechanic too weak, there's no point to it, but if you make it too strong, players will find it even grindier to progress through the game as they constantly deal with "zombie kingdoms".

I'd prefer seeing new kingdoms raised to prominence by breaking away from my kingdom once I get too big for anyone else to beat me.
However I believe that original problem with destroying kingdom discussion stems from the fact that they keep spawning and returning to battle endlessly because of the way spawn mechanic works. Perhaps the spawn mechanic can be adjusted to reduce the strength / delay the spawn of the new parties created.
This would be good too, just a slight increase in delay would be nice.

However I believe that original problem with destroying kingdom discussion stems from the fact that they keep spawning and returning to battle endlessly because of the way spawn mechanic works. Perhaps the spawn mechanic can be adjusted to reduce the strength / delay the spawn of the new parties created. So that the player does not have to micro manage and kill each member of the kingdom's clans.
This is a big issue even outside of the problem of kingdoms that are already completely defeated. the AI has the ability to bounce back from crushing defeats way too easily in general, which leads to even those big 1500vs1500 battles being pretty meaningless after a while, because the AI just spawns back with troops out of thin air.

I'd like to see the landless kingdoms just disperse - join other factions, become mercenaries, go into exile, whatever. Just stop raiding my villages.

This is something we are thinking on, the death/disappearance of the kingdoms. I do not have a clear idea on how it would be conducted though. For kingdoms to die, I believe there should be a way for new kingdom's to emerge as well yet this is a complicated process demanding high development and quality assurance effort.

Can you please make it so, that a faction without fiefs, can not have Childs and marriages, so they die out natural?

Or increase the battle death chance for heroes in fiefless factions.

How about when the Kingdoms were defeated at the Warband? I know it must be annoying to hear this all the time, after all Bannerlord and Warband are two complete different games and mechanics, but the Kingdom is considered defeated with no lands, tat could happen the same way if possible on rebellions new kingdoms or old ones managed to rebel (through rebellion or perhaps some kind of civil war function, if the team is able to put that together without stays weeks or months working on it, maybe expanding the rebel system already?), but unlike Warband when the Kingdom is destroyed the King would enter ine xile just like a normal Family would and would be recruitable.

I don't know if you guys manage to expand the rebel system, civil war, CB for inheritance or whatever. Would be awesome! Idk how much this is possible I'm not a coder or designer so just my thoughts. I'm hoping to see this game by the final release the best could be

I agree that this feature should be added.

At some point, kingdoms are no longer viable. Their clans are going to gradually leave and they cannot raise enough troops to mount a serious opposition, unless some sort of "cheat mode" for the AI is enabled (or a player kingdom that reaches that state).

It would have to involve the AI forming a new kingdom. One possible option is to allow for Rebellions to spread and unite under a single new Kingdom.

They don't get destroyed. After a long long time (like years) the clans will start to join other factions, repeatedly beating them all up and ransoming them might help this by making the "faction" in poverty even more because the king gives money to the poor clans and they get mad when he finally runs out. The King will still run around hiring mercs though forever, it's really bad and adds absolutely nothing to the game to have the kings and factions persist like this. It's just more nonsense of trying to drag the game out without ADDING MORE CONTENT to it.

It's like if you were playing any other strategy game and were about to say GG, but then oh how about opponent takes 10 extra turns? Okay how about we just do that over and over forever? No, nobody would ever do that, it's boring (and humiliating if it was a person as opponent). To clear the map you have to really steamroll hard, but even then you're left with 50 homeless clans who can never fight back against your giant faction but will never join either.

We used to all assume the prolonged stuff was because more content would be added to make a longer game desirable, but updates come and come and still not a thing has been added.
They should become looters and bandits as soon as they don't have any castles or cities after a year.
Another thing that annoys me is that you have to run around to hire mercs? why can't you just issue a Royal statement that if mercs want to work, we're hiring and you get a notification that you can find them in a cities where you then need go to trigger the conversation, everything else is a pain.

The fact that you are still thinking about the best decision does not mean that you can be practical and give us an immediate and temporary solution. Like for example that the main clan disappears and the kingdom does not exist anymore. Or that the kingdom disappears and the main clan joins another kingdom as a vassal. But it is very tiresome and anticlimactic to have kingdoms destroyed, with a clan that is unable to even throw a party because they are so poor, but instead they hire 3 or 4 mercenary clans just to screw up your life.

Even if it is something temporary and simple, it is better than nothing. And every time a topic is opened on this subject, it rains replies. It is something that the community needs and the game too.

Back
Top Bottom