Weather system & Dynamic map

Users who are viewing this thread

Official data + effects update

While it is true that there are scenes with rains and storms in mission (isle of deriad in mp mode) and also snow falling we can not say that we will see a dynamic atmosphere system like the witcher 3 for example where the clouds move, the wind sways the trees, the weather conditions change and the passing of the day is evident; at least NOT from the hand of Taleworlds. If _Sebastian_ got this for Warband I'm sure another modder in Bannerlord will manage to stake the flag this time.
I'm forever baffled by things like this. How is it that that is achievable on a decade old engine by what is essentially a random (though skilled I'm sure) person with a computer; yet now with a superior engine, more advanced technology, and far greater resources, the actual game development company is not even considering trying to do it?

I'm not even trying to be snarky it just makes no sense to me.

I'm forever baffled by things like this. How is it that that is achievable on a decade old engine by what is essentially a random (though skilled I'm sure) person with a computer; yet now with a superior engine, more advanced technology, and far greater resources, the actual game development company is not even considering trying to do it?

Because the management in Taleworlds is absolute ****. It's not even something we should be asking anymore since it shows everywhere. I am sure most of the developers at Taleworlds are skilled people with a good work ethic, if they could work on whatever they wanted. I mean they did build a new engine for the game, that's testament enough that the dev's got the skills required.

giphy.gif

As well as we know that Duh, Dejan and other devs come from modding roots, I find it mind-boggling how little Taleworlds has considered taking from the whole modding universe for both SP and MP warband backgrounds.

Moton Knows.

*massive sigh*
Extra frustrating since things like dynamic weather have been around for a while and are not really radical or unusual in modern games at this point.

But yeah, I just become more and more resigned to the fact that I'll have to wait another half a decade or so for mods to complete the game.

I will convey your feedback though so that it can be taken into consideration for our future products.
Just to be perfectly clear, when you say future products do you mean that this feature definitely won't come to Bannerlord, but some hypothetical game in the future?

LMAOOO we dont even get rain? Like, I get that its complicated to code weather effects on arrow range etc. But no clouds? Rain at all? Nuts. TW you did it again

Just to be perfectly clear, when you say future products do you mean that this feature definitely won't come to Bannerlord, but some hypothetical game in the future?
Yes that's what he means.

I don't know about you but I am going to seriously hesitate before buying another TW game after Bannerlord's horrendous development.

What?
We won't get storms, rain different weather? what the hell?
I wasn't expecting to get bandit playthrough, feasts and advanced diplomacy... but simple rain and storm I thought would be in the game...
This has to be a joke...

LMAOOO we dont even get rain? Like, I get that its complicated to code weather effects on arrow range etc. But no clouds? Rain at all? Nuts. TW you did it again

rain has the same problem like snow does check the video from 2:16 (look right side)
some tw intern broke it somehow and who broke it, doesn't cares probably and moves on. 10/10 management

Rain is actually awesome "when it works"

rain has the same problem like snow does check the video from 2:16 (look right side)
some tw intern broke it somehow and who broke it, doesn't cares probably and moves on. 10/10 management

Rain is actually awesome "when it works"

Nice!

I also remember that bannerlord online had a day/night cycle, not sure if there are rain tho. But like come on, so much potential

Imho I think that the reason TW doesn't want to do it is because they think it will tank fps on consoles.
giphy.gif

Absolutely, by now it was a known fact and no one will be surprised by this.

Taleworlds has been slowly shedding fuselage and non-essential parts so that this boing 747 can simply fly away and be stored in a car garage (console simile :lol:) to the detriment of the PC gamer's playable experience.

While that's a totally valid comment by a dev I can't help but arch my eyebrows when I read this stuff, take a look at this recent one and you'll see what a (plausible) austerity and restriction scenario Taleworlds is mired in.
[...]We already have memory constraints currently and we don't necessarily have room to spare for these fonts[...]

----
+1 Rain is actually awesome "when it works"
And...The sunrises and sunsets are one of the most beautiful things for me in this game on a visual level.

giphy.gif

Absolutely, by now it was a known fact and no one will be surprised by this.

Taleworlds has been slowly shedding fuselage and non-essential parts so that this boing 747 can simply fly away and be stored in a car garage (console simile :lol:) to the detriment of the PC gamer's playable experience.

While that's a totally valid comment by a dev I can't help but arch my eyebrows when I read this stuff, take a look at this recent one and you'll see what a (plausible) austerity and restriction scenario Taleworlds is mired in.
[...]We already have memory constraints currently and we don't necessarily have room to spare for these fonts[...]

----
+1 Rain is actually awesome "when it works"
And...The sunrises and sunsets are one of the most beautiful things for me in this game on a visual level.
This one of the reasons I've pretty much given up on this game. It's clear they don't care about pc users, especially long time die hard fans, and are all about the sales numbers. My only hope is that the base game is enough of a framework for modders because we're beyond the point where Taleworlds can convince me that they can put out a good game.

Normally I don't care as much about visuals but I recently have been playing FO4 and I installed 2 mods that revolutionized the game for me. The first is True Grass that brings back green grass to the game and the second A Forest that puts real green trees in the game and a lot of them. It makes me realize that these kinds of environmental aspects bring such variation and interest that it keeps me playing even though I've done several play throughs in the past.

Edit:

When gaming companies do things like this, this is why there's such animosity between console and pc gamers.
_wallpaper__glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_admiralserenity-d5qvxos.png

Last edited:

Others have mentioned management, but I'll just try to explain just how bad it can really go. First of all, keep in mind that these decision makers are, most of the time, are not engineers. Managers who are former (competent) engineers are few. This means that the one making the decisions don't really know what's best for the product.

Oftentimes the decision makers don't consult their engineers for their decision making, and base their ideas on "studies" and "data". Of course, studies are long and specific, and data is not the end of things. Context is very important, but that importance is often lost on people. For example, the decision for that whole console thing was probably decided purely from articles and data saying that all the successful games these days were designed for all platforms yada yada boom boom. They didn't fully consider the implications of that decision, resulting in blockers down the road, such as having to simplify the game's system to fit within the control scheme of a console.

Such decision making often pisses off devs who actually care about the game. People will have to work on lame stuff, get bored/irritated, quit, and be replaced with new people. New people will see the boring design, don't get excited, and only do the bare minimum. If they do see the potential, they can't bring that idea upward because they're still new. They don't have that power yet.

I'm not saying you must hate those decision makers. They work like that because they need to. It's easier to convince your boss to approve your design decisions when they're backed with studies and data. Big resource = big money = big risk. Still, people are often lazy with this kind of job. They don't consult their devs or properly study their sources. That's why things go wrong. Decision makers don't need to be super smart programmer/manager/designer/researcher hybrid. In a big company you'd have specialized people for those roles. You just need to call them and have a proper discussion.

Now, you can tell that random people with a computer don't have the same restriction as these. They're not bound by big money or a boss. They can decide what they think is fun and just create them.

Others have mentioned management, but I'll just try to explain just how bad it can really go. First of all, keep in mind that these decision makers are, most of the time, are not engineers. Managers who are former (competent) engineers are few. This means that the one making the decisions don't really know what's best for the product.

Oftentimes the decision makers don't consult their engineers for their decision making, and base their ideas on "studies" and "data". Of course, studies are long and specific, and data is not the end of things. Context is very important, but that importance is often lost on people. For example, the decision for that whole console thing was probably decided purely from articles and data saying that all the successful games these days were designed for all platforms yada yada boom boom. They didn't fully consider the implications of that decision, resulting in blockers down the road, such as having to simplify the game's system to fit within the control scheme of a console.

Such decision making often pisses off devs who actually care about the game. People will have to work on lame stuff, get bored/irritated, quit, and be replaced with new people. New people will see the boring design, don't get excited, and only do the bare minimum. If they do see the potential, they can't bring that idea upward because they're still new. They don't have that power yet.

I'm not saying you must hate those decision makers. They work like that because they need to. It's easier to convince your boss to approve your design decisions when they're backed with studies and data. Big resource = big money = big risk. Still, people are often lazy with this kind of job. They don't consult their devs or properly study their sources. That's why things go wrong. Decision makers don't need to be super smart programmer/manager/designer/researcher hybrid. In a big company you'd have specialized people for those roles. You just need to call them and have a proper discussion.

Now, you can tell that random people with a computer don't have the same restriction as these. They're not bound by big money or a boss. They can decide what they think is fun and just create them.
So basically people who aren't really interested in the actual game making a lot of important decisions about the game. A sort of focus group/consultant led process like the rest of modern media. That's the impression I've had for a while. You can virtually see it in the 'finished' product.

When I first bought bannerlord I was under the impression that taleworlds was a small studio who were passionate about making a great pc game...

So basically people who aren't really interested in the actual game making a lot of important decisions about the game. A sort of focus group/consultant led process like the rest of modern media. That's the impression I've had for a while. You can virtually see it in the 'finished' product.

When I first bought bannerlord I was under the impression that taleworlds was a small studio who were passionate about making a great pc game...
Code refactor? Plus we are still in a pandemic.

Yes. That's why I said decision makers instead of managers. Because decisions are made by various people, but mostly non-engineers. Focus group, stake holders, designers, or even consultants. They think of devs more like the brick layers of the project. You don't ask brick layers for opinions.

Taleworlds was a small studio. Then they scaled up for Bannerlord. When big money is involved, things move in a more rigid way. Imagine paying an expensive consultant and he told you to make this and that, only for the consumers, years later, to tell you that those decisions are dumb. You'll feel like you'll waste your money if you roll it back, so you just press on. Besides, "It was a professional's opinions. It can't be that bad."

Disclaimer, this is just from my own experience. I'm not saying Taleworlds is like this. I don't work there. Maybe Taleworlds do have the same problems. Who knows? I'm sure you guys can make your own guesses based on the things you've seen.

Back
Top Bottom