SP - General More generalised civilian status for weapons and carry over from Battle to Civilian Outfits

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi, I really like the mechanic of having a Battle and a Civilian set of equipment, but I find it is sometimes hard to see on what basis a certain Item should be marked as capable to be equipped in the civilian set or not. I would like to suggest simplifying it like this:

For weapons: All one handed swords, one handed axes, one handed maces, daggers, throwing knifes are civilian - these are sidearms. There is no reason why you would be allowed/it would be socially acceptable to carry a regular spatha in town, but not a thamaskene steel spatha, to show off your wealth.
All two-handed weapons (axes, swords and maces) all polearms, bows, crossbows, throwing weapons other than knifes are military gear and not acceptable to wear within city limits.

For armour: If it is is not made of cloth, it's not civilian. So all mail, all scale (wether iron, leather or horn) is Battle gear. Soft leather counts as cloth for this purpose.

Carry over: This has probably been proposed to death, but it would be really nice if civilian-capable weapons that are equipped in the Battle Outfit appear also in the Civilian Outfit. Furthermore, it would be very cool if some Body Armour, which historically came in layers, like mail and gambeson, also carried over from the Battle to the civilian outfit, except for the mail layer. I notice there are som sets of armour which are clearly done with this in mind, like "Heavy mail shirt with wide belt" and "Woodland garments" - they are the same, except the battle outfit has a mail shirt on top. The mechanic would be that by default, if what you have equipped in the Battle Outfit is eligible for the Civilian Outfit, then it appears there, but can be substituted for something else if you so desire (maybe you don't want to wear your smelly gambeson when hitting town?).

Finally, it would be nice if we could get some bonus to charm, in some way, from wearing expensive civilian clothing and maybe a small malus for wearing rags.

I highly agree with the weapon part. The criteria should be the look, and not the quality.
As I remember towns restricted swords based on their lenght. This could be a thing in Calradia, too, but for the sake of simplicity limiting the blades by their standard length.

In regards of armor, gambesons were made of cloth, but they are still armors. So I think both leather and gambesons should be acceptable or neither of them.

The charm bonus was cool in Kingdom Come Deliverance. The rich items could provide some bonus.

I started to make a list about some items which should be civilian items. It's not a full list yet, I might add pieces later.

These shoulder pieces should be civilian:
Woodland fur cape
tartan shoulder harness
Leopard pelt
fringed cloak
leather shoulder guard
cured leather pouldrons
heavy tartan cape
tartan cape
woodland cloak
cured leather shoulder pieces
reinforced harness with cape
wolf pelt cape
padded leather shoulders
chained fur cloak
bear pelt

These gauntlets should be civilian:
Woven Leather Bracers
Padded Vambraces
Lordly Padded Mittens
Reinforced Padded Mittens

These body armors should be civilian:
Tunic with Shoulder Pads
Padded Cloth with Strips
Auxiliary Armor
Boarskin Leather coat
Auxiliary Armor with Straps
Leather Armor
Cured Studded Leather Armor

These should NOT be civilian:
Thick Brigandine Vest

Last edited:
In regards of armor, gambesons were made of cloth, but they are still armors. So I think both leather and gambesons should be acceptable or neither of them.
Fully agree, that's why I wrote soft leather should be considered cloth/fabric for this purpose - jackets, gambesons, all good. I was thinking more along the lines of items of cuir bouilli or leather scale should be considered military garb.

Fully agree, that's why I wrote soft leather should be considered cloth/fabric for this purpose - jackets, gambesons, all good. I was thinking more along the lines of items of cuir bouilli or leather scale should be considered military garb.
If the leather has 18-20 or less body armor, it's okay for civil use. That could be the dividing line.

Back
Top Bottom