How is everyone's morale these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Why is it a habit that almost all threads in this god dam forum turn into a meaningless debate about "historical" medieval combat?

Anyone has any fun ideas that don't involve mods for a playthrough? I'm doing an execute everyone run but it got nothing interesting going to it anymore, I've already done the one for imprisoning lords and having the perks so they can't escape.

Just wondering, because many cool mods I looked up in nexus are outdated/abandoned. I think I'm at the very end of my remaining morale. I don't wanna bother much with mods until release because they keep breaking because of updates.

Why is it a habit that almost all threads in this god dam forum turn into a meaningless debate about "historical" medieval combat?
Perhaps it's because the weapons in Bannerlord don't behave anything like actual "historical" weapons of the timeframe it's supposed to be inspired by. Perhaps it's because someone made a comment about historical weapons which was inaccurate or only partly true. Perhaps it's just because someone wants to show off how much they know about some niche topic. Perhaps it's just to troll the previous poster. Perhaps it's a bit of all of that, and more.

I also think there is a gap between this forum community and the steam reviews/Reddit. This community is definitely more negative, but if they don’t see that reflected in steam scores I guess they just shrug?

I also think there is a gap between this forum community and the steam reviews/Reddit. This community is definitely more negative, but if they don’t see that reflected in steam scores I guess they just shrug?
It's not being "negative", it's being critical, passionate about the game and actually wanting this game to be as good as it can be. And this game does have an incredible potential. Merging elements of RTS and 3rd person RPG gameplay like this was never done before, and this has potential to surpass major RTS and RPG titles.

And seeing this potential being wasted by an unwilling company is... just sad. It's just sad too see, that Warband is still better than BL in almost every way. And it's more than 10 years older...

Not particularly high bro. can't really explain why I dislike Bannerlord. Sure, plenty of far more experienced, people far more involved with the community and with far more personal and emotional investment in the series have created giant lists of missing features, deep critiques of TW's design goals in both SP and MP, the artstyle, the combat etc, but for me I think it's far more subjective and emotionally driven than rational.

To me, Bannerlord just doesn't feel cohesive at all. It feels like a hodge-podge of various different genres smashed together with the M&B title and aesthetic resemblances to the prior title. You can say "that's just what M&B 1 and Warband was," and I guess you'd be right, but like, Warband and the original felt like a lot of systems put together that were almost effortlessly coherent - the way the systems interacted in those games was insanely compelling to me, and was the primary reason I've sunk a ridiculous amount of time into them.

The transition from single-man combatant, to merchant, to battlefield commander, to rudimentary statesmen, hell, all 4 at the same time, felt cool, refreshing and original - all thanks to a strong compromise between excellent combat, solid RPG mechanics that do the job and a functioning economy. But in Bannerlord, because it's a battle simulator canvas with a diluted, very light cover of RPG paint, it feels like the game devalues the interaction between all the different systems in favour of endless, identical battles. And I thought this was because the game was unfinished and was lacking the RPG mechanics and the robust economy to keep the compromises of Warband's design intact - it'll get better, along with the new features to enrich this interplay I thought.

But we're nearing two years into the EA dev cycle (almost the length of a prog rock album), and not much has changed. The loop is still the same, the grind is ok, and the economy and all the other ancillary features are half-implemented at best. Worse for me, is it feels like this game isn't what I wanted it to be - it's very much still an ad-hoc battle simulator and its clear this is the direction the game is going. It just lost me along the way.

Not particularly high bro. can't really explain why I dislike Bannerlord. Sure, plenty of far more experienced, people far more involved with the community and with far more personal and emotional investment in the series have created giant lists of missing features, deep critiques of TW's design goals in both SP and MP, the artstyle, the combat etc, but for me I think it's far more subjective and emotionally driven than rational.

To me, Bannerlord just doesn't feel cohesive at all. It feels like a hodge-podge of various different genres smashed together with the M&B title and aesthetic resemblances to the prior title. You can say "that's just what M&B 1 and Warband was," and I guess you'd be right, but like, Warband and the original felt like a lot of systems put together that were almost effortlessly coherent - the way the systems interacted in those games was insanely compelling to me, and was the primary reason I've sunk a ridiculous amount of time into them.

The transition from single-man combatant, to merchant, to battlefield commander, to rudimentary statesmen, hell, all 4 at the same time, felt cool, refreshing and original - all thanks to a strong compromise between excellent combat, solid RPG mechanics that do the job and a functioning economy. But in Bannerlord, because it's a battle simulator canvas with a diluted, very light cover of RPG paint, it feels like the game devalues the interaction between all the different systems in favour of endless, identical battles. And I thought this was because the game was unfinished and was lacking the RPG mechanics and the robust economy to keep the compromises of Warband's design intact - it'll get better, along with the new features to enrich this interplay I thought.

But we're nearing two years into the EA dev cycle (almost the length of a prog rock album), and not much has changed. The loop is still the same, the grind is ok, and the economy and all the other ancillary features are half-implemented at best. Worse for me, is it feels like this game isn't what I wanted it to be - it's very much still an ad-hoc battle simulator and its clear this is the direction the game is going. It just lost me along the way.
I think, that this game should not be released yet. I think, that it needs 2 - 3 more years of development (and I'd gladly wait). Adding all the missing features from previous games, as well as adding new features to further expand the game. Balancing the troops properly. Fixing and polishing everything, that needs it.

As is, I see this game as only half-way done, if even that. It's like a demo of what it could be.

It's not being "negative", it's being critical, passionate about the game and actually wanting this game to be as good as it can be. And this game does have an incredible potential. Merging elements of RTS and 3rd person RPG gameplay like this was never done before, and this has potential to surpass major RTS and RPG titles.

And seeing this potential being wasted by an unwilling company is... just sad. It's just sad too see, that Warband is still better than BL in almost every way. And it's more than 10 years older...
Wasn’t meaning to imply that the criticism is not valid or warranted.

I think, that this game should not be released yet. I think, that it needs 2 - 3 more years of development (and I'd gladly wait). Adding all the missing features from previous games, as well as adding new features to further expand the game. Balancing the troops properly. Fixing and polishing everything, that needs it.

As is, I see this game as only half-way done, if even that. It's like a demo of what it could be.
In 2-3 years the graphics will start to look outdated, so then thóse have to be upgraded, then the engine has to accommodate that, and now you're stuck in an endless cycle until you run out of money. I've seen this happen to other EA games (like 7 days to die, which has needed like 5 graphics overhauls JUST to stay on par during it's 8 year development cycle. There is a good reason that games tend to be developed within 3-6 years. If taleworlds takes much longer they'll have missed the boat.

In 2-3 years the graphics will start to look outdated, so then thóse have to be upgraded, then the engine has to accommodate that, and now you're stuck in an endless cycle until you run out of money. I've seen this happen to other EA games (like 7 days to die, which has needed like 5 graphics overhauls JUST to stay on par during it's 8 year development cycle. There is a good reason that games tend to be developed within 3-6 years. If taleworlds takes much longer they'll have missed the boat.
So it's better to release unfinished games, that are nowhere near their potential? I cannot speak for the entire community, but I've seen plenty of people also voicing an opinion, that they'd rather wait some more time before this game is released, than have it released unfinished.

Also, graphics don't matter at all. Too much focus on graphics is one of the things, that's driving the entire AAA game industry to s**t.

Gameplay > Story >>>>> ... >>>>> graphics.

This game is absolutely pathetic. Its honestly sad, but at least it will be a case study of how not to manage a game's development. I imagine people will be studying this in school for decades to come.

I wonder when this game will get out of EA, my funny estimation almost 2 years ago was 2024, but it ain't funny anymore.

I wonder when this game will get out of EA, my funny estimation almost 2 years ago was 2024, but it ain't funny anymore.
You were being optimistic, and didn't know it.

My question is, what exactly have they been doing for the last 2 years? It really seems like they've got 2-3 people at most working on the game, and the rest of the company merely collecting paychecks. Indie developers have accomplished more in a year than all of Taleworlds has in 2 or 3.

I've done a bit of modding in the past, and I know that it can suck up a lot of time, but I was able to put resources in several dozen scattered locations, modify scripts, write dialog, and implement a significant expansion to an existing system in a matter of a few weeks by myself, and I'm pretty close to a novice at it. Even if Bannerlord is being worked on by an all-amateur team with no coherent oversight and half the team not bothering to show up from one day to the next, I can't see how this is taking so long without MAJOR progress in the time they've had.

Seriously, if we didn't think that the game had enormous potential, we wouldn't be here. If we didn't think that the potential was being wasted, with no rational excuse in sight, we wouldn't be complaining. Taleworlds proved in M&B and Warband that it could do this, and did so TWICE in far less time than it's already taken for Bannerlord. Now, with a much larger team, it can't. That's just hard to comprehend.

You were being optimistic, and didn't know it.

My question is, what exactly have they been doing for the last 2 years? It really seems like they've got 2-3 people at most working on the game, and the rest of the company merely collecting paychecks. Indie developers have accomplished more in a year than all of Taleworlds has in 2 or 3.

I've done a bit of modding in the past, and I know that it can suck up a lot of time, but I was able to put resources in several dozen scattered locations, modify scripts, write dialog, and implement a significant expansion to an existing system in a matter of a few weeks by myself, and I'm pretty close to a novice at it. Even if Bannerlord is being worked on by an all-amateur team with no coherent oversight and half the team not bothering to show up from one day to the next, I can't see how this is taking so long without MAJOR progress in the time they've had.

Seriously, if we didn't think that the game had enormous potential, we wouldn't be here. If we didn't think that the potential was being wasted, with no rational excuse in sight, we wouldn't be complaining. Taleworlds proved in M&B and Warband that it could do this, and did so TWICE in far less time than it's already taken for Bannerlord. Now, with a much larger team, it can't. That's just hard to comprehend.

Well if they are poorly managed and every Dept inter-dependent on another -youll get progress like dripping molasses. From just the previous experience we've seen here of extremely reasonable minor requests from the Devs who frequent here going back to their Committee to get a green light - only to be given the "No." again and again, this tells you alot about how they want to move forward. They've probably feature locked alot of the game meaning " no other development on that area is permissible without the GoAhead from the top Dawg"

Smaller or Solo developers tend to want to really work closely with their fanbase as their entire future livelihood depends on it while companys that are well established enough to have corporate offices tend to use more of the Business Bottom Line as their mechanism for deciding what and what doesnt get done.

In short -we made a monster out of TaleWorlds by supporting them so strongly.

Well if they are poorly managed and every Dept inter-dependent on another -youll get progress like dripping molasses. From just the previous experience we've seen here of extremely reasonable minor requests from the Devs who frequent here going back to their Committee to get a green light - only to be given the "No." again and again, this tells you alot about how they want to move forward. They've probably feature locked alot of the game meaning " no other development on that area is permissible without the GoAhead from the top Dawg"

Smaller or Solo developers tend to want to really work closely with their fanbase as their entire future livelihood depends on it while companys that are well established enough to have corporate offices tend to use more of the Business Bottom Line as their mechanism for deciding what and what doesnt get done.

+1. This was the last time they get a buck out of me, but yea, the creature has already been unleashed.

So what you're saying is: the bigger they are the less they care???
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sadly, often when corporation or goverment had been getting bigger, so was a corruption got bigger, but even with corruption, bigger still better due power and money for some reason, if one stay small and clear of corruption, it's might got eat by bigger goverment or corporation (whatever bought out or conquest or something ect) nearly by. Correct me wrong? But as corruption slowly like diseases killing body, so corruption killing goverment/corporation as time went by, more or less, I guess unless there is cure for it (basic good people replaced bad people or bad people turn back to good)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom