SP - General Smithing selling nerf

Users who are viewing this thread

I am going to add one more thing for people on the stamina part of Smithing, I forget if it was in this thread or a different but just realized that actually the way Smithing stamina works is actually not incorrect.

See, the way time passes in game is not one day passing. You notice kids and people age frequently. So actually that one day, is probably like 1 month. I know it's weird in the whole mechanics of quests and such, but it fits kind of.

So to give an example, I'm able to Smith 7 two handed swords at my current level, at full stamina. So that, let's say over the course of 1 month, isn't actually unrealistic.

A Smith in real life, or ironically enough for those that have watched Reincarnated as a Slime (anime), the Smith in there would churn out several weapons within a decent amount of time. I'm sure there are several examples that can be listed.

So actually the game does a pretty good job as far as Stamina goes. It looks instantaneous, when you Smith all of your goods or smelt them, however, you actually only gain that stamina after that amount of time is spent resting. What's actually happening is you are Smithing as if you had been doing so across that, for examples sake, months time.

I'll address, I defend the Smithing skill, because people go at it so much, some with legitimate points which I've agreed with, and others who rant at it without legitimate points

I want to make sure that as game creators are looking at this, it is handled right and not just listening to people that want the game this way or that that are actually going to screw up the game, break its realism, and end up hurting the game and experience for players overall.

Please, legitimate points only. If you are here to rant with no legitimate points, we can understand maybe your having issues with the game and aren't sure how to utilize the other methods, and we can supply help to that. However, those rants aren't going to make this game better. You are going to be pointed out as such by any player that recognizes this

Please, legitimate points only

I didn't think of this until now, the trade mechanic you spoke of. Um, so...the level 275 trade mechanic, which...*chuckles awkwardly*...phew...allows you to trade Towns and Castles for money and goods, yes, it is a game experience breaker, in the sense of, you can now just buy your way to owning everything

Yes, yes it is

However, trade skill I will say is among the probably longest time spent skulls in the game

So once you're able to unlock that, yes, go ahead and use it as you please, you have earned the right. No one can take that away, and it's not unrealistic in the sense of, a merchant having unlimited wealth, yes, can buy anything.

You have become Bruce Wayne, that Hotel is yours. Have at it

I personally do not play this way because I personally like the challenge, like the battles and earning towns and castles for myself, plus I love siege battles. So I would never use this mechanic

I do not want it removed, however, due to it is realistic, and it's, whilst it grants you UNLIMITED POWER!!!!! it's still fitting

It's up to each player if they want to play the game that way or to play the game regularly.

I mean...the game opens a lot of doorways to play however you like and enjoy being able to just plain conquer, or buy your way to victory.

The other thing I realized is in relation to using swords or otherwise to gain Lord's to your side. Smithing actually has nothing to do with being able to charm your way to a Lord's castles or towns.

Currently you can't even get Towns even by having good relation with the Lord that owns them and bringing them to your side.

The only quickest way I've found to increase relation is by being a vassal with them. You then get in their good graces exceedingly fast.

Outside of this the downside seems to be the rest of the world can hate you as you become the greatest tactician and strategist decimating their armies and taking their fiefs

So...Smithing...does not really play a part in this at all. All it does is give you money as well as really good weapons to use in battle. That is all

The max I've seen relation jump, unless I'm lucky, is like 6...maybe 9 by spending a decent chunk of money.

I think this was capped before on how much relation you can get through money. It's really not worth it

Ask, so from what I can tell, what you are getting mad it, is more the fact that a game mechanic is there that allows you to make tons of money along with the level 275 perk

That's a style of gameplay

Thats the beautiful thing about Bannerlord in that you can play anyway you choose: Op, hardcore, merchant, or just Bruce Wayne

You need to just focus on how you play then

You're making an issue of how others choose to play the game.

It's all different way of gameplay

Just let other people play their way bud, it's not cool to force other people

I am going to add one more thing for people on the stamina part of Smithing, I forget if it was in this thread or a different but just realized that actually the way Smithing stamina works is actually not incorrect.

See, the way time passes in game is not one day passing. You notice kids and people age frequently. So actually that one day, is probably like 1 month. I know it's weird in the whole mechanics of quests and such, but it fits kind of.

So to give an example, I'm able to Smith 7 two handed swords at my current level, at full stamina. So that, let's say over the course of 1 month, isn't actually unrealistic.

A Smith in real life, or ironically enough for those that have watched Reincarnated as a Slime (anime), the Smith in there would churn out several weapons within a decent amount of time. I'm sure there are several examples that can be listed.

So actually the game does a pretty good job as far as Stamina goes. It looks instantaneous, when you Smith all of your goods or smelt them, however, you actually only gain that stamina after that amount of time is spent resting. What's actually happening is you are Smithing as if you had been doing so across that, for examples sake, months time.
84 days in a game-year means that 1 game-day is roughly 4.5 days, in terms of a fraction of a real-world's year.

Sorry I didn't bother to re-read the entire bible you wrote there, I don't get why you type it out in several posts instead of a single one, it makes it harder to read if I have to go back and forth on the thread's pages, but I assume you just went "it's realistic so it's good, don't use it if you don't like it".

I get that you're too used to the crutch that smithing is, and it's not your fault because it is the only viable way to amass a fortune in the game in a reasonable amount of time. Realistically, buying a town with level 300 perk of trading requires about 3-6 million denars depending on your relations with the lord and the town itself. That's a goal that takes way too many in-game years to reach through every other way of earning denars combined. I know this because that's what I intended to do a while ago, trying to still have fun with the game and enjoy it.

Currently, the prices of many things are simply too high, while every form of income except for smithing are too low. Balance wise, it's impossible for a player going for a trader route to buy towns with the level 300 perk (I repeat, level 300) off the profits of trading + workshops + caravans alone. I tried it. I gave up with that and just turned to smithing and I was making profits much faster than with trading alone.

Everyone acknowledges that the entirety of the economy in bannerlord is trash. They are trying to lower the prices of everything in game, it's literally in the patch notes:

Economy and Trade

• Reduced item prices overall. Items with higher tiers are reduced more.
They can't lower the prices of everything and keep smithing giving out unreasonably large amounts of denars. If you really enjoy smithing that much wouldn't you be happier needing to spend more time smithing to get denars? Or you just enjoy the easy denars with repititive, non-interactive and mind-numbing gameplay?

They are bumping it down to what every other money making method there is, and it is still out of their league. It just goes to show how unnecesarily expensive everything is in game. They can't fix the economy without fixing the smithing payouts, even if on purpose or not.

Like c'mon there's smithing orders that give 150k denars at about 230 smithing difficulty, even if you're low level and botch up the order you still get like 50k denars. Level 300 trading player needs 10 days of in-game time to make that much money by trading alone. Aren't you satisfied with that? Why are only smith players able to become millionaires easily while trading is trash? inb4 because muh realism, yeah because a single smith should make millions compared to a master trader that has 5 workshops 3 caravans and all the perks to make selling animals more favorable am I right??? ?

Exactly)
Profit from blacksmithing should be in line with other occupations.
Otherwise, an imbalance (in any direction) is obtained.

Landmark - the cost of units.
The most basic unit is 20 coins.
His weapons, peasant, when bought in the city - from fifty (iron pitchfork) to half a thousand (batan hammer).

This is strange.
This leads to the fact that taking enemies alive ... is unprofitable.
If you kill them, then the dropped equipment is many times (by orders of magnitude) more expensive than the ransom for a living enemy, along with all the equipment worn on him.

Balance? No, have not heard.
This is how the economy works in Bannerlord)))

If we do not waste time on useless criticism, or swimming in our own fantasies and calculate a little, as if we were making our own mod (which I actually do), then we get a very specific need for a rate of return.

Let's say we have enough skill for high-level crafting, 8 Damascus, worth 512 coins each, one coal (16 coins), and some blacksmith stamina, which isn't hard to disable.

In total, we get the price of investments - roughly, 5k coins.
Let's say that the profit is 1% per 1 unit. blacksmith skill and we have max skill (330).

We get the final cost of selling the created weapon = 100% (cost) + 330% (skill bonus) = roughly, 25k.

Gave 5k, received 25k (of course, with max trading, removing penalties).
But only because they pumped skills to the max.

A novice blacksmith, if he suddenly gets lucky to craft highlevel equipment without penalties, will receive 100%+ of his current skill.
For 25 it's 125%. A thousand and a half profits, like bets in a tournament.

It would seem that this is a simple and obvious thought lying on the surface. In reality, businesses operate at very specific rates of return, quickly changing industries if they pay more.
But Bannerlord... its current economy... is a silent horror...

Sorry I didn't bother to re-read the entire bible you wrote there, I don't get why you type it out in several posts instead of a single one, it makes it harder to read if I have to go back and forth on the thread's pages, but I assume you just went "it's realistic so it's good, don't use it if you don't like it".

I get that you're too used to the crutch that smithing is, and it's not your fault because it is the only viable way to amass a fortune in the game in a reasonable amount of time. Realistically, buying a town with level 300 perk of trading requires about 3-6 million denars depending on your relations with the lord and the town itself. That's a goal that takes way too many in-game years to reach through every other way of earning denars combined. I know this because that's what I intended to do a while ago, trying to still have fun with the game and enjoy it.

Currently, the prices of many things are simply too high, while every form of income except for smithing are too low. Balance wise, it's impossible for a player going for a trader route to buy towns with the level 300 perk (I repeat, level 300) off the profits of trading + workshops + caravans alone. I tried it. I gave up with that and just turned to smithing and I was making profits much faster than with trading alone.

Everyone acknowledges that the entirety of the economy in bannerlord is trash. They are trying to lower the prices of everything in game, it's literally in the patch notes:

Economy and Trade

• Reduced item prices overall. Items with higher tiers are reduced more.
They can't lower the prices of everything and keep smithing giving out unreasonably large amounts of denars. If you really enjoy smithing that much wouldn't you be happier needing to spend more time smithing to get denars? Or you just enjoy the easy denars with repititive, non-interactive and mind-numbing gameplay?

They are bumping it down to what every other money making method there is, and it is still out of their league. It just goes to show how unnecesarily expensive everything is in game. They can't fix the economy without fixing the smithing payouts, even if on purpose or not.

Like c'mon there's smithing orders that give 150k denars at about 230 smithing difficulty, even if you're low level and botch up the order you still get like 50k denars. Level 300 trading player needs 10 days of in-game time to make that much money by trading alone. Aren't you satisfied with that? Why are only smith players able to become millionaires easily while trading is trash? inb4 because muh realism, yeah because a single smith should make millions compared to a master trader that has 5 workshops 3 caravans and all the perks to make selling animals more favorable am I right??? ?

Dude...no, I explained pretty well I know all the other methods to make money and I can use all of them, and it's not hard to make profit in this game

Caravans and workshops make money with time

There are other improvements the game can make, yes, this has been pointed out. Workshops and caravans has their own way of being done.

Money making in this game has its own balance.

Trade goods such as food are lower priced to keep the balance within the game, same as horses needing to be kept at a lower price due to too much demand on a continuous basis that Lord's would require too much money to keep up with

Regular weapons and armor scales to its current prices and makes sense in the marketplace

I've already been over a craftsman using the same amount of materials as a novice craftsman can make 100x profit, so I'm not re-explaining

And bud, you are ranting again, you show your just mad based on using my comment:

"Just let other people play their way bud, it's not cool to force other people"

The comment fits, because you show you need help in the game to hit major profits. Your dead set on you must be strictly a smith to make big profits. No

Youve tried, and said you've failed

Yes, trade goods will never compare to Smithed goods, this has been covered multiple times. The reason has been pointed out multiple times

Trade goods will never cost as much as a master smith's goods, and they never should. I have no need to cover the same content if your just going to continue to rant without any points

All you've said is I tried other money making methods and I can't make it work and I can't buy all the towns and castles

I wondered how much towns and castles would be. It makes sense. It keeps the balance of the game, in that you can't instantaneously buy all lands.

Smithing then becomes the easier method to achieve this, if one wanted to do so.

Last I had seen the perk, it was 275 for trade. If this has been raised, then I didn't know. I only got the latest update two days ago.

And dude, your in a forum, there's a lot of reading to do. If you can't handle it, your in the wrong place.

I'm addressing different parts of your own writing and others

Exactly)

His weapons, peasant, when bought in the city - from fifty (iron pitchfork) to half a thousand (batan hammer).

This is strange.
If you kill them, then the dropped equipment is many times (by orders of magnitude) more expensive than the ransom for a living enemy, along with all the equipment worn on him.

If we do not waste time on useless criticism, or swimming in our own fantasies and calculate a little, as if we were making our own mod (which I actually do), then we get a very specific need for a rate of return.

Let's say we have enough skill for high-level crafting, 8 Damascus, worth 512 coins each, one coal (16 coins), and some blacksmith stamina, which isn't hard to disable.

Let's say that the profit is 1% per 1 unit. blacksmith skill and we have max skill (330).

We get the final cost of selling the created weapon = 100% (cost) + 330% (skill bonus) = roughly, 25k.

A novice blacksmith, if he suddenly gets lucky to craft highlevel equipment without penalties, will receive 100%+ of his current skill.

It would seem that this is a simple and obvious thought lying on the surface. In reality, businesses operate at very specific rates of return, quickly changing industries if they pay more.
Alright, let's address your points.

So your saying Blacksmithing should be scaled to everything else. Alright, let's look at how your saying to go about this:

- the buying of troops

So the buying of troops has to be scaled the way it is due to, they're such a commodity. I can agree, realistically, the money for troops is hugely different than what it would be.

No issues there with saying that.

The game balances this issue by making soldiers at varying high prices scaled up to...I think a max of 300 per soldier. I may be going higher than actual, but it'll work. Budget for your own army maxes at somewhere around 3-4k, I think if I'm remembering correctly, at least for where I'm at with 338 troops, all at max tier

If the real budget was put in, troops would be at like...phew...I dont even know, let's say if just 30k per, we're hitting 1 mil

I've built a kingdom wrong in this game before and...phew...even with Smithing making 76k per two handed Sword, I was losing 15-20k per day. Add on cities only have somewhere around 50-70k usually, that became unmanageable. I was barely able to keep my head above water

I use this example to illustrate that the game balances the way it does, to create a manageable expense game experience. I've learned since then and keep my expenses to 2k per day.

Troops would be too much if that happened

Although...there is one mechanic we haven't explored, which is royal crowns. If we go for full realism, then let's enter the money of medieval times. Gold would be extremely valuable. Let's enter silver and copper, as I think this would actually be a good balancer for this:

If we are paying soldiers in gold, it scales down to small amounts of gold

However, then we start identifying the problem you bring up, which is then troops at tier 1 would realistically get paid per month, and be paid let's say a decent amount of silver, let's say 40 silver, and the best troops being paid in some gold coins

Let's use this model for example:

100 copper coins = 1 silver coin

100 silver coins = 1 gold

30 copper = 1 bag of grain (correct me if we can make a better model)

So we identify that economics can be altered to fit the realism.

Alright, this can work, some valid points from you. If we scale money differently, rather than a set money being just gold for everything, which doesn't make sense being 1 gold for a bag of grain, then we begin to see the results

Let me continue in one more post so it looks cleaner

sensible look)
I took a reliance on the troops, because the equipment, by itself, is not very effective.
It must be used by someone to teach benefits.

Since we've touched on premium products, I want to be clear on this.

There are goods for everyone (peasants, copper), specialists (silver - merchants, warriors, artisans) and luxury for the elite (lords, gold).

Roughly speaking, trash loot from mobs, average items from dungeons and highlevel equipment with insanely expensive sharpening / pumping.

I want trashy stuff to be trashy, etc.
If we take a couple of sticks, a piece of cast iron, we do a "miracle!" and we get a hundred thousand bucks, a mountain of gold and a princess to boot, this is not normal.

Simply put, there is a peasant.
He comes to my forge and says, they say, they need a pitchfork.
The price of a peasant, with giblets, 20 coins. He can spend no more than 10 coins on pitchforks. After all, he also needs armor.

Money, or a measure of grain, worth the same ten coins as the base of payment. Two bags of grain, if the pitchfork is needed very urgently and the man is ready to overpay, shedding tears and getting into debt. I can get a relationship bonus if I forgive part of the price. or the whole price. Watch the village and the deserters, the quest, the decision.

___
I hope you understand what I'm talking about?

If I want to get a recruit, I can buy it at full price. All inclusive.

I can supply him with weapons, armor, provisions, etc., in order to save some of the "live" money on this.
Now it is implemented through experience for donations.

I can raise a recruit from a young age like my son and get him for free. More precisely, shareware. The total investment will reach 20 coins. Money, time, effort, skill, no matter how you pay, for the sake of balance. The main thing is that the result should be about as profitable as other activities.

Last edited:
Exactly)

This is strange.

Using copper, silver, and gold, to balance good prices, from troops to trade goods, can work quite a bit better

What do you think?

Let's say food goods likely are within the copper range

Weapons begin scaling to silver ranges

Horses would be silver to early gold ranges depending on quality

Trade goods such as pottery or jewelry are set items in the game, so their isn't variation, so they would have a set profit point of likely in the mid copper range to early silver range, with jewelry likely scaling to a bit more silver.

This then translates Smithing goods to certain copper amounts at the start to higher gold amounts

Hmm...im curious, you bring points up that make sense. I'd like to see what you think

If the issue is scaling in buying and selling, how would we go about this?

I like the copper, silver, and gold method because it allows showing of realism over paying troops what they are worth as well as buying and selling what things are worth

I see what your saying on Blacksmithing. What I'm curious on is how would you scale it? I see your model on 25k for a blacksmith product

Perhaps then the issue becomes the overall costs in the world right now for economy.

Right now to gain a Lord to your side is like 200-500k gold. The game is putting this arbitrary amount in to make it difficult for the player to buy them to your side. However, if we apply realism then likely this will get much lower

sensible look)
I took a reliance on the troops, because the equipment, by itself, is not very effective.

There are goods for everyone (peasants, copper), specialists (silver - merchants, warriors, artisans) and luxury for the elite (lords, gold).

Roughly speaking, trash loot from mobs, average items from dungeons and highlevel equipment with insanely expensive sharpening / pumping.

If we take a couple of sticks, a piece of cast iron, we do a "miracle!" and we get a hundred thousand bucks, a mountain of gold and a princess to boot, this is not normal.

The price of a peasant, with giblets, 20 coins. He can spend no more than 10 coins on pitchforks. After all, he also needs armor.

Money, or a measure of grain, worth the same ten coins as the base of payment. Two bags of grain, if the pitchfork is needed very urgently and the man is ready to overpay, shedding tears and getting into debt. I can get a relationship bonus if I forgive part of the price. or the whole price. Watch the village and the deserters, the quest, the decision.
I like this, I like this a lot, it would give the gain a lot more depth if we applied a relation mechanic to selling goods.

I can agree on the having everything on the, Smith one item and the world is yours. Thus, I could see Smithing being adjusted where you make less items, such as with less stamina, as someone pointed out before with a day in game being 4.8 days in-game time. This allows let's say 1-2 Smithed items in that time, if I'm doing that realistically. That would net, if I'm using my earlier model of 76k x2 = 152k

That won't get you the world in this game, but it's far less than x7

The issue right now seems to be the scaling of the world of...how much money is in the world versus how much you can make with smithing

sensible look)

I like this, I like this a lot, it would give the gain a lot more depth if we applied a relation mechanic to selling goods.

I can agree on the having everything on the, Smith one item and the world is yours. Thus, I could see Smithing being adjusted where you make less items, such as with less stamina, as someone pointed out before with a day in game being 4.8 days in-game time. This allows let's say 1-2 Smithed items in that time, if I'm doing that realistically. That would net, if I'm using my earlier model of 76k x2 = 152k

That won't get you the world in this game, but it's far less than x7

The issue right now seems to be the scaling of the world of...how much money is in the world versus how much you can make with smithing.

This:

"There are goods for everyone (peasants, copper), specialists (silver - merchants, warriors, artisans) and luxury for the elite (lords, gold).

Roughly speaking, trash loot from mobs, average items from dungeons and highlevel equipment with insanely expensive sharpening / pumping."

This is gold. I have no issue with this

Ok, my brain is not working anymore, I may gone on tangents in my last couple posts. Apologies.

Oltopeeta, I like what you are saying a lot. You bring a lot of good points.

Ask, what I said about forum needing to read a lot isn't entirely correct, I said it to daze you for a sec because you need to step back. Your not bringing logical points, you are coming at me, mad, because I'm talking of smithing in a good light, and touching its realistic points, and you're not liking it

Yes, we both agree there are things that can be worked on. I'm trying to point out that focus on the points that can be worked on, not getting mad at people who use the Smithing skill. That won't help anything and is counterproductive

If we want to improve the game, what Oltopeeta is doing and saying is on the money

Your likely good Ask, like me, we probably need a minute to take a step back and look at things.

I've hit you pretty hard, i apologize. You seem like you've got some good time spent in the game, and have some points. Let's get to those points

At one time, I developed a model with multicurrencies, from the beads of the natives to the coins of the Middle Ages and credits of the space age.

The main lesson that I learned is that the entourage is not important.
Balance matters.

So, simple food is sold and bought for copper, good food - for silver, elite - for gold.
There are simple weapons, stick stones, and there are military and super expensive, decorated, for lords.

This is a difference in ranks, quantity, not quality. Stone can kill.
With a sword, too, but a little easier.
For this bonus, an additional price is charged, and not the very opportunity to do something.
Otherwise, we drive ourselves into a mental trap, like TW, and suffer from balance for many years :smile:

To lure a lord is to take a husband or wife to the clan.
And half a million is to lure the clan. Minimum three participants.
A cheap analogue is to promote a companion to a lord, a clan leader.
However, I understood what it was about.

At one time, I developed a model with multicurrencies, from the beads of the natives to the coins of the Middle Ages and credits of the space age.

The main lesson that I learned is that the entourage is not important.
Balance matters.

So, simple food is sold and bought for copper, good food - for silver, elite - for gold.
There are simple weapons, stick stones, and there are military and super expensive, decorated, for lords.

This is a difference in ranks, quantity, not quality. Stone can kill.
With a sword, too, but a little easier.
For this bonus, an additional price is charged, and not the very opportunity to do something.
Otherwise, we drive ourselves into a mental trap, like TW, and suffer from balance for many years :smile:

To lure a lord is to take a husband or wife to the clan.
And half a million is to lure the clan. Minimum three participants.
A cheap analogue is to promote a companion to a lord, a clan leader.
However, I understood what it was about.
Hmm...looking at what you wrote, how then would we go about balancing?

I'll disregard my own thoughts previous just to see how we would go about this

The last part about clans, I found very very interesting. Did not know that was how it worked. It's fitting

A little personal history.

I fought a lot in the first part of the game.
Beginners may not know, but there even experience can be obtained for killing units. Quests... minor xp.

When I found out that there was a smart forge in MB2, I devoted a lot of time to it.
I'm more of a blacksmith than a merchant or a fighter. Actually, just like in reality.
If blacksmithing brings only a thousand other dinars, I will continue to do it. For the soul. And I will get money in a different way. War, trade, real estate, etc.
Now everything is exactly the opposite.
Nothing can give as much profit as a blacksmith. People are forced to do this, or they lose money. And it's very sad. For me. Like a blacksmith, an experienced player and amateur modder.

...how then would we go about balancing?
If we take units as a reference point, then a peasant - 20 coins, weapons and armor - no more than 10.
Now the weapons of peasants are from 50 (forks), on average, 150-200 (axes, sickles) and up to 500 (hammer, besides, it is bagged and not correctly assembled from parts - there are 3-4 shooting ranges (rank), and not 1, de facto; this can be easily seen when viewing the game files, or in the forge - 2p hammer, mace - only two positions and the game hammer is not equal to 1 :smile:).

Hmm, I got a little distracted) Again))
If units are the starting point, then the price of weapons (and armor) must be reduced. About five, ten, twenty times. It depends on what units and what weapons we take into account.

If the base is equipment, then the prices for units should be raised, by the same 5-10-20 times.

___
A good example of an edit that you can test right now is the "True" series mods (Cost - Item, Army).
And other mods from there, True Gameplay Overhaul (https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2097).

I highly recommend these mods.
Because they help solve some of the problems of the original game.
In particular, they are correcting the balance for crafting equipment. Which is very important to me.

___
If we take the clan and lords as a starting point, then everything is somewhat more complicated, but also solvable.

Just as an ordinary companion (companion) is different from standard units of the same power level, so the lord must be different from elite units (2-6 tiers).

If it’s very rough, then the initial companion is 500 coins, the strong companion is 5.000, the spouse is 50k, the clan is 500k, the state is 5 million, buy the whole world is 50+ million.

Back
Top Bottom