Yes, spears, again

Users who are viewing this thread

nobody other than maybe like top 1~5% of gamers in MP would even have a chance against a spearman.
[...]
as the "just parry it to one side and get in close" becomes a typical "easier said than done."
It's hard to take these statements seriously considering that you haven't even played MP for a year. It's like you only think about 1v1 context, which is not always the case. As I said, a simple shield would render a spear useless no matter how fast the jab is. Spear stabs don't deal a significant damage to shields. Doing footwork against a spearman is also easier because unlike swings, the hitbox of a stab is not as wide. It's also very easy to flank a spearman for the same reason. There are so many counters to this, but you keep ignoring them.

Besides, you seem to forget the fact that holding block will keep blocking attacks in that same direction. A spearman can spam 10 stabs if he wants, and the swordsman only needs to hold his block if the spearman doesn't change direction, in which case the swordsman can simply change his block too.

We have "X is OP" talks pretty much all the time. Cav OP, archers OP, two handers OP, etc. The fact of the matter is that people just need to learn how to deal with them properly. Cavs, archers or everything else have their counters, and that's what good balance is, not every weapon type having the exact same stats.

And again: to throw such stunts with a spear like spamming thrusting attacks you need two hands. Two hands = no shield. No shield = beaten by missile weapons. I cannot fathom, why we should center a mechanism around a 1v1 PvP situation if the game is about armies conquering Calradia?! Every single bit suggestion of improvement in terms of weapon/armor I read upon in the forums boils down to 'but in MP it is OP'

Yes it is in Duel mode. As is choosing a knife when going to a shoot-out. In massive MP or SP/MP battles it is perfectly fine. I guess we maybe have to take out the scissors and try to decide whether Bannerlord is e-Sports or an immersive Battle sim with role-play elements. Doing both at the same time seems not to work - at least not with the same rule-set.

Last edited:
Just make it longer (stats wise and connect wise, I suppose you dont have to go and change the entire graphical model) :smile:

What I really miss is 4 directional attacks on spears. If they had 4 directions, I would be ok with the low reach, I actually think it would be too OP to also add the length. Reach or 2 more attacks? Cant have both :smile: Tough one.

I dont think spear users are rare, they are somewhat common and thats really nice to see. Ive also got rekt by spears occasionly and I also like that. I still think spears could be a tad better.

As a side note, most common spears can be thrown... The roman Pilum bends on impact making it impossible for the enemy to throw it back, this is another thing Id like added to Bannerlords Pilums

GettyImages-183882286-528c62a.jpg

EdH6eotVcAMRxba

67bbfd668318131658cb57d7c6c8943f.png

main-qimg-61ee18639657a316d52c31f71b9ae384

ofe7e760l9f31.jpg

Last edited:
From my own limited experience with LARP and two years of Taijutsu training I can say that parrying a 'normal' weapon without a shield is not as easy as it seams. Range really is a big thing there so a spearman can keep a swordsman on a distance given he is able to piont the tip at him and threaten him constantly like lashing out or stapping back to maintain distance. Clearly a big advantage. A shield makes fighting a lot easier but this does not automatically guarantee success. It is easier to avoid random slashes and jabs spammed at you. But a skiled fighter will go for regions not shielded.

I once tried parrying a bo with a bokken and some of the bo techniques were also useful for the spear: example: constantly point at enemy's throat and jab. It is a basic advice you get: point your weapons tip at the enemy's throat, no matter what weapon. Deflecting and/or underrunning the bo (or a spear) takes lots of timing and practice. It is not impossible but shows, that the spear can be a good weapon to keep your enemy at distance and lethal if he neglects the spear.

Your post really scratches that itch of mine.

Just one custom battles using spear/pike units and the problem with them can be seen. They are too slow. With a pointy stick pointing out like sword and spear, a thrust should be the fastest attack. I think not only spear but thrust attack in general is slow. Any unit with spear whether infantry or cavalry is only good at the initial contact/charge. After that, spear becomes a burden.

Swinging polearms like glaive , on the other hand, are moving at Mach 5 speed when attacking and dealing absurd damage. Making Khan's guard an extremely powerful melee calvary and infantry (and horse archer too). I tested Khan's guard with every top tier cavalries in custom battle. They won every time in melee mode with minimal lost. So what is the difference between Khan's guard and other cavalries? Swigging vs thrusting polearms. If that does not spell unbalanced I do not know what is.

Even in formation, spear units are at a disadvantage. First of all, their attacks are easily blocked by friendlies and enemy alike in tight situation. At least swinging weapons have overhead attack in tight situation. Second of all, spear bracing is so bad. Sure, it kills some enemies cavs at the initial charge. And then the infantry lose the bracing stance (Why TW? Why?). Keep the stance upon impact, allow pikemen to move (slowly) while bracing, and allow them to thrust while bracing. Those will make the front of pikemen more durable against both cavalry and infantry.

In conclusion, thrusting weapons are not fun to use both for the AI and myself (With the exception of couch lance on horse imo). While swinging weapons, especially swinging polearms, are good for... well... everything. Buff the speed as well as the formation for thrusting spear/weapon is what I am saying.

Last edited:
Great post OP, really good stuff. Just finished some studies on the beginning of the Ming Dyansty and the state China was in post-Mongol conquest (which didn't last too long, TLDR = Small Ice Age go brrrr) - so this is very interesting.

Honestly, spears need a ton of work. The grip on them halfway down is ridiculous, attack and recoil speed are too slow, and they should have a pushback effect. The physics for it are already in game, would be interesting to debuff it by weight, i.e. if I push a spear blow into some jerk with a shield they should be knocked down but trying to do it to a heavily armored knight shouldn't have that high of a chance. Basically RNG for knockdown after a "roll" against the weight - likely a Switch statement or some other way to have if/else logic without bogging down a simulation or battle.

Right now we have too much blending of weapon types and nothing is particularly specialized. And even if you make the argument that spears are specialized anti-cav 1) it doesnt show in AI 2) the animations and speed are still way too slow, you'll get mowed down without nearly perfect timing.

I get the MP argument, but I don't care, I don't play MP at all. Keep the nerf **** over there

I wonder, what if we had an attack mode like press down and hold LMB while wielding a 2-handed spear? Sprite would take a bracing stand (no movement possible but torso turns) and repeatedly auto-thrust the point we are aiming at. The better the skill, the faster the thrusts will come, they would have knockback, if target hit with the tip and maybe deflected without knockback, if hitting a shield at a flat angle (grazing/gliding over shield instead). Once you have underrun this attack, the spear-wielder has a problem since you are out of his attack range but he is in yours.

Great post OP, really good stuff. Just finished some studies on the beginning of the Ming Dyansty and the state China was in post-Mongol conquest (which didn't last too long, TLDR = Small Ice Age go brrrr) - so this is very interesting.

Honestly, spears need a ton of work. The grip on them halfway down is ridiculous, attack and recoil speed are too slow, and they should have a pushback effect. The physics for it are already in game, would be interesting to debuff it by weight, i.e. if I push a spear blow into some jerk with a shield they should be knocked down but trying to do it to a heavily armored knight shouldn't have that high of a chance. Basically RNG for knockdown after a "roll" against the weight - likely a Switch statement or some other way to have if/else logic without bogging down a simulation or battle.

Right now we have too much blending of weapon types and nothing is particularly specialized. And even if you make the argument that spears are specialized anti-cav 1) it doesnt show in AI 2) the animations and speed are still way too slow, you'll get mowed down without nearly perfect timing.

I get the MP argument, but I don't care, I don't play MP at all. Keep the nerf **** over there
The thing about Multiplayers mode is it is more about 1 vs 1 more than fighting in formation. So right now polearms (the thrusting kinds, not the swinging ones) are not good 1 vs 1. But are they at least good to use in a formation? Also no.

This is from a write-up in a similar discussion that's happening in The Keep.

Case in point, the above "spear rework" video uploaded by Grovin Angroshim, on YouTube. That video basically encapsulates everything wrong with how spears are in the current game, and at the same time why "spear rework" mods aren't any kind of solution at all.

Individual Combat situation ("Before") [00:00 - 01:12]

Notice, that despite the player is holding a pike, just after the very first thrust at 00:17, for the entirety of the minute-long duel the player is NEVER in spear/pike combat range. In the entire duel, they are always within the axeman(axewoman)'s range, and it's not like the tip-range either. The distance never separates, because as anyone whose really tried in becoming a spearman knows, it's basically impossible to do so in both SP and MP.

It becomes possible in SP only when the relative Athletics difference is huge. In SP, if your Athletics goes around 250+ and wearing very light armor, you can back-pedal fast enough to offset the speed of the enemies advancing. But this isn't because the spear is working properly -- it's simply because you've gained a super-human level of physicality, relative to the normal levels of Athletics in the game.

Watch 00:22~00:23 segment. Even if the spearman lands a block-push, see how small the distance is. That small distance may be enough for gaining range for short weapons, but no way to do so for polearms.

Then look at 00:30~00;31. The player got a chance and rammed the pike tip to the axeman's face. It failed to deal proper damage, and it also failed to interrupt the axeman's attack animation. The axeman's vertical chop just ignored that hit to the face and landed a -4 hit on the player. (The damage is low, because it was pretty long for being a one-handed axe, indicating a handling problem)

It doesn't matter how close the distance is. Unless your attack totally missed, there's no way a rod that's shoved into your face doesn't interrupt your attack.

Look at 00:45. Another 1 damage. Barely flinches, just walks in.

And from 00:45 the player tries more actively to gain distance. Probably from fatigue, because just blocking stuff non-stop for 30 seconds becomes tiring and you can lose focus. But there's just no distance gained at all. And add insult to injury at 00:49 -- a torso stab while the axeman is swinging, but it does nothing, and the axeman's attack lands.

Another spear hit ignored at 00:59. the enemy attack just ignores it and lands, and finally, at 01:02, another hit to the face just ignored, and the axeman lands the final blow.

In the entire duration of the duel, the player landed at most 2 damage, and it wasn't even from a spear. It was from pushing.

Individual Combat situation ("After") [01:20 - 02:05]

Now, look at the rework. Is that actually "better?"

Notice, that what the mod did, was have even short-distance hits land normal damage, but notice how the rework does NOTHING to fix the problem of distance. In this 40-second duel, it goes exactly the same as "Before." The only saving grace is that the short-ranged hits dealt enough damage for the player to win, but the duel itself? That's not a spear fighting at the spear's distance.

I'm not criticizing the mod or the mod maker. I am making the point that the spear rework mods in existence are basically a work-around to a problem, because they can't fix the real problem itself, so just tweaks certain things to make it at least manageable.

As a rule of thumb, very generalized but mostly true in case, the HEMA swordsfolk point out that fighting against a spear without a shield is very difficult to win, and "just block/parry the spear to the side and close-in" is in most cases, a fantasy that just doesn't happen, much like how grabbing and/or deflecting punches and kicks like in kung-fu flicks, is a fantasy that just doesn't happen in a real ring.

Things are significantly better when the opponent gets a shield, but not to the point that it gives any kind of solid advantage.

Look at the above sparring vid from the Schola Gladiatoria organization. Doesn't matter if you have a shield or not -- your best defense against a spear, is still distance. A shield, is just another layer of protection that helps you survive against a spear, but that disadvantage in reach just cannot be ignored.

The problem with the spears is not the damage -- it's the reach.

Group Combat situation ("Before") [02:24 - 03:10]

Now let's look at group situations in the spear rework mod video.

It's a one-sided massacre, with the spear formation dealing a whoppin' grand total of 0 kills until they rout. This is basically all the issues as mentioned in individual combat, above, that's been expanded into a group scale.

And particularly this video gives us an EXCELLENT view from the side, of how there's 0 distance between the fighting infantry lines.

Group Combat situation ("After") [03:25 - 04:08]

Now let's look at the "after."

The results are significantly better, because the rework allows the rear line of the spear to attack without being blocked off by the front row's shields, as well as close-range spears dealing more damage.

But again, where's the distance? The fight itself, like in the case of individual combat, has no difference at all. There's no distance between the lines, and just shields clash into shields with zero distance.

This, is what happens when an infantry line with short weapons meet an enemy formation with spears.

Now, granted, the shield wall in the game, is not the phalanx. Also, when armed with short spears, a shield-crash-shield situation CAN happen, particularly when both infantry lines are armed with shields and short spears -- a classical example being fights between Greek-style hoplites, in which case two hoplite lines would crash into each other shield-vs-shield, with the first to third row soldiers using overhead thrusts, that go above the hoplon in attempt to attack.

Therefore, because the player's men are using a shield wall with relatively short spears, the opposing infantry line could close in in such a manner. But the problem is, when the spears get longer, as with longer spear-armed troops in the game, and particularly with pikemen. It's a common knowledge Vlandian Pikemen just, simply, suck except against cavalry charges.

If we're looking for a fundamental fix, the devs need to develop two additional AI behavior algorithms, one specifically for spear troops, to make use of their spears as the main weapon, and use it in a coordinated manner, and another one for AI units meeting spear troops, that makes them hesitate from just walking into spear range.

However, if a change to the AI is not an option that can be explored. then a fix needs to be applied not to how the spear deals damage, but how it can keep the opponent at bay -- which is why I've suggested the spears to get a much more powerful pushback effect.

The spear video kinda lost me when I read "Spear rework" and then she is using a pike for the demonstration. A pike was never meant to be a solo duel weapon. But O.K. lets ignore this "tiny" detail.

What if spears below a certain length (not pikes) had left- and rightattacks, the horizontal attacks would deal low damage (but stagger). Obviously only when not using a shield (hoplite). This would make it somewhat easier for the spear user to keep the desired range, not to mention the bonus of this: More realism

Edit: Just so we all are on the same page, a hoplite is spear-shield main infantry. A phalanx is typically a pike formation. Hoplites didnt usually form phalanx. (Im aware of the phalanx and hoplite Wiki pages and I think they are poorly written, you only need to think a little and apply logic) An army would have phalanx optimized infantry (pikes no shield) as well as regular closer range melee infantry. A hoplite wouldnt want to fight with a normal spear carrying a pike on his back or fight only with a 10 meter long stick, almost rendering the weighty shield pointless. Looking at pictures and reading other sources, obviously a commander would have both types of units.

Last edited:
@ kweassa:
I cannot agree with you here. I think "Spear Rework" does a good job and your criticism is not fair.

Firstly, single combat. To fight with a very long spear like a pike against an armored person with a sword and a big shield is ... not very wise. Because it's easy for the shielded (and in addition armored) fighter to deflect the spear and close distance. The Youtube video from ScolaGladiatoria you linked is not very fitting because they use small shields, not a big shiled like the NPC in the BL video. A big shield makes a big difference, from my own experiences, from theory and also from historical events (the Roman legionary comes to mind who fared not that bad against spear armed adversaries all the time). So maybe the mod makes the spear here even too good, but I don't think so because the spear guy only won with a lot of blocking.

In group combat it's a different affair. We know of the famous Polybius report of the Roman legionaries not being able to get near the Macedon phalangites because the latter put the pikes on the Roman shields and simple blocked them while the next rows stabbed at anybody who tried to curl through the pike wall. So it is more difficult to close distance and fight against a spear formation than to fight against a spear in single combat, even shielded. The second part of the "Spear Rework" video shows that the mod made the spear much better in formation combat, as it should be.

So it is more difficult to close distance and fight against a spear formation
Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have seen from @kweassa post, he criticizes the mod for exactly this point. He wanted the ability to push enemy back in a spear/pike formation which the mod does not provide. When two formations clashed, they still... hugged each other tightly with or without the mod.

Great thread, nice historic excursion OP! I agree with all points made.

The Bannerlord spear lost two of its attack directions and got nothing to make up for it! In Warband it was hella fun and satisfying to beat up your opponent and stun him for miliseconds by swiping that stick across his face.

So either we get omnidirectional spears (very short spears/clubs!) or introduce the stun/push effect that is suggested in a mild matter!

Thank you all for the contributions, I hope this gets some attention!

As it is, this, is basically the only way in the game currently to play thrusting polearms in a combat-satisfactory, "viable" manner.

You basically joust on foot.

The practice arena run is on Bannerlord difficulty. The character's Athletics is at 274 + almost all of the speed-enhancement-on-foot perks + spear damage related perks, such as enhanced speed bonuses, extra damage when hitting headshots, etc.

Because the standard spear in the game has no way to always enforce the distance advantage it has over other weapons, in order to use distance and reach to your advantage, that's how much investment it takes to make spears "viable." In other words, this is like "brute-forcing" the reach advantage. Because the spear mechanics don't provide you any of that reach advantage, you basically become a superhuman to remedy the shortcomings of the weapon. (That's sad. i know.)

Maybe videos about 'so-justsu' could be enlightening? The japanese Yari is a weapon wielded in 2 hands for both formation-style combat and single combat. The opponent is armored and most likely not having a shield. Mind for example the following:
and watch the golden armored guy changing distance of the Yari by gripping it at several points on the spear. Also we see the spear used versus other spears.

Here we see a spear-wielder versus a sword-wielder 1vs1. Also nice changes of distance keeping, weapon length control and various atack directions. We cannot emulate this in the game I guess but you see the sword has a hard time.

Even with a shield it is not that easy to score a hit on the spear-wielder.

I think there might be more interesting videos on that topic but I guess the results are: spears in Bannerlord do not work like they should, right?

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have seen from @kweassa post, he criticizes the mod for exactly this point. He wanted the ability to push enemy back in a spear/pike formation which the mod does not provide. When two formations clashed, they still... hugged each other tightly with or without the mod.

Yes, but in my opinion and experience a) such a pushback is very artificial and unrealistic und b) would not work under game conditions. A), you cannot or should not really push back adversaries in single combat. There's a high chance the spear (which is sharp and spiky, contrary to LARP weapons) would get stuck somewhere (a shield for example), giving some bad leverage play with the foe and a good chance to lose. In bigger battles the spear was usually surely not aimed at the shields, but at open vulnerable places. They wanted to kill, not to stand around with weapons blocked. The fight pikemen against legionaries was more of an exception and the standstill the former reached sometimes was often not decisive.
B), in the game pushback does not work, you need to hit and stab the NPC. Otherwise single combat would be endless. And in bigger fights the same, would you really want to watch a constant push back of two enemy formations, or a standstill where one unit could not reach the other?

Spear Rework (for example) has a better solution. It makes spears a dangerous weapon capable to fight on same terms with any other weapon, by increasing speed of spears and delivering damage earlier than in vanilla.

Here we see a spear-wielder versus a sword-wielder 1vs1. Also nice changes of distance keeping, weapon length control and various atack directions. We cannot emulate this in the game I guess but you see the sword has a hard time.

Just cant help saying,
what a pathetic manling
He can barely 1-hand wield the spear. Not that my arms or physique is even half as good. But if I were to fight to the death with a spear in 1 hand, Id be dang not to be fit for it. Even if I were to take it up as a hobby, Id train for it so I could use it effectively. Clearly this guy is unfit for it, yet makes youtube videos about it.
I get it, they wish to demonstrate the superiority of the spear. But I have an imagination far better than this weak "demonstration" lol

Not targeting you Mikal, just couldnt help notice it xD

Yes, but in my opinion and experience a) such a pushback is very artificial and unrealistic und b) would not work under game conditions. A), you cannot or should not really push back adversaries in single combat. There's a high chance the spear (which is sharp and spiky, contrary to LARP weapons) would get stuck somewhere (a shield for example), giving some bad leverage play with the foe and a good chance to lose. In bigger battles the spear was usually surely not aimed at the shields, but at open vulnerable places. They wanted to kill, not to stand around with weapons blocked. The fight pikemen against legionaries was more of an exception and the standstill the former reached sometimes was often not decisive.
A broad swathes of errors above, but to point out just one:

"Artificial"
Do you think swords always attack in that full-swing arc in just 4 directions? Is chambering or parrying just a matter of timing? Do people temporarily slow down in movement speed when they raise a weapon to attack? Are shields just an absolute wall that doesn't even shake, falter, or get pushed aside if you wield it? Do arrows fly in such a flat and easy arc for to shoot? Do bows and crossbows have aiming reticles magically pop up in real life? Do real weapons swing or stab that slow in the first place?

Which part of the combat is "real" and not "artificial"?

No matter how "realistic" a game purports itself to be, what's displayed on screen is simply a mere representation and parody of what happens in real life -- simplified, stylized, and supplemented by a heckload of "artificial" systems to make it work, because there's no such thing as perfect representation or recreation of real-life combat for people who've never even seen, much less held, weapons like swords or spears. Any and every game in the world re-enacts a presentable illusion of 'realistic combat' through a multitude of 'artificialities' that makes it possible.

A supplementary system being "artificial" is not grounds to reject it in a game.

B), in the game pushback does not work, you need to hit and stab the NPC. Otherwise single combat would be endless. And in bigger fights the same, would you really want to watch a constant push back of two enemy formations, or a standstill where one unit could not reach the other?
I believe I've thoroughly, decisively explained why it's functionally near-impossible to "hit and stab" someone with the spear in game, both in SP and MP. The opponent can just not defend and brazenly take the first hit for free, and still walk inside the threshold range of the spear to make it non-functional.

Besides, isn't it funny that people don't seem to be bothered by how the spearman, from his perspective, is currently already in a state of "endless combat?"

I'm not kidding here. When you wield a spear in this game, be it in SP or MP, the combat refuses to end UNLESS it's your defeat, when the opponent wields a shield. There's functionally no way of defeating a shield with a spear in this game. You can't even break the shield unless you're forced to take smithing and forge a spear with a pilum head, or just find a pilum somewhere and use that as your spear. (note how certain items having certain properties, is entirely "artificial" for the purposes of the gameplay, and yet nobody seems to complain about it). In SP the only real way is to abuse AI programming in a method called "turning spear stab." This, obviously, doesn't work in MP. No matter how good you are, for the spearman, the combat does not end unless the spearman loses.

So, is it OK for the spearman to be in that state of "endless combat unless you lose," but not OK for others when they find it extremely difficult to get inside the range of the spear?

(ps. that's what spearformations were for in the first place, in "big battles," regardless of era. They're the anvil. Why were spearmen the anvil when there certainly were other types of infantry around? Because they last a heckuva lot longer.)

Spear Rework (for example) has a better solution. It makes spears a dangerous weapon capable to fight on same terms with any other weapon, by increasing speed of spears and delivering damage earlier than in vanilla.
All it does is basically allow a 2-meter long weapon to be used at the speed of a stabbing dagger. I guess that doesn't count as "artificial"?

Back
Top Bottom