What are your must-have mods you can't play without that you'd like Taleworlds to implement into the base game?

Users who are viewing this thread

they say swords are useless with this patch. that there are horrible faction inbalances..
Swords are side arms (as they were in RL) and useful to fight against low-mid tier units, higher tier ones will have very good armor so swords will do little damage to them compared to blunt weapons but they are still viable if you have a good quality one and high weapon skills just don't expect an arming sword to be as damaging to double maille + lamellar as a mace for example.

And about faction inbalances i heartly disagree, the balance is much better than vanilla already but most people want their favorite faction to steamroll everyone instead of a system of weakness vs strengths in each faction so if they face an enemy were their favorite units don't do so well against they cry "unbalanced and unfair".

By personal tastes i prefer even more the balance of the de re militari mod which used RBM as a base and make all weapons even more viable since it decreases the numbers of tiers and even lower tiers are still useful mid-late game instead of just cannon fodder you want to level ASAP.

The only reason I dislike RTS is because it gives even more advantage to already over-advantaged Human Player. Now if there was an RTS Enemy AI General - THAT"D be a mod id be really interested in

Swords are side arms (as they were in RL) and useful to fight against low-mid tier units, higher tier ones will have very good armor so swords will do little damage to them compared to blunt weapons but they are still viable if you have a good quality one and high weapon skills just don't expect an arming sword to be as damaging to double maille + lamellar as a mace for example.

And about faction inbalances i heartly disagree, the balance is much better than vanilla already but most people want their favorite faction to steamroll everyone instead of a system of weakness vs strengths in each faction so if they face an enemy were their favorite units don't do so well against they cry "unbalanced and unfair".

By personal tastes i prefer even more the balance of the de re militari mod which used RBM as a base and make all weapons even more viable since it decreases the numbers of tiers and even lower tiers are still useful mid-late game instead of just cannon fodder you want to level ASAP.

eh. i really want to like this mod. its certainly advertised as the best thing since sliced bread..

but i keep on finding issues with it even after playing with it for 5 minutes.

does this mod respect your order of battle groups?

i have two cavalry groups. i set one to have 5 units and the other 20 units.

when i launch the battle the mod does whatever it wants and basically sends 50% of the units to each group..

this is why i dont really trust mods to begin with they break the game in places they arent even supposed to affect

EDIT its the AI module that is breaking this for me - not the battle module

Last edited:
eh. i really want to like this mod. its certainly advertised as the best thing since sliced bread..

but i keep on finding issues with it even after playing with it for 5 minutes.

does this mod respect your order of battle groups?

i have two cavalry groups. i set one to have 5 units and the other 20 units.

when i launch the battle the mod does whatever it wants and basically sends 50% of the units to each group..

this is why i dont really trust mods to begin with they break the game in places they arent even supposed to affect

EDIT its the AI module that is breaking this for me - not the battle module
The AI module basically splits cavalry in two wings to guard the flanks, they'll fight enemy cavalry there to prevent flanking and after defeating them they will charge on the flanks of the main infantry body when your own infantry is about to engage the enemy, this is done to make AI fighting a bit more inteligent but if you want to prevent the AI doing this to your own men you have to command your cavalry yourself, if you place it under the AI by delegating command it will split the cavalry in half and try to apply that tactic.

is it true what they say over at the page in nexusmods though?

they say swords are useless with this patch. that there are horrible faction inbalances..

i keep reading a lot of praise for this mod here on these forums but no criticism at all. i installed it for a few minutes and realised it had messed up my whole economy whereby a pugio cost like 15k and long swords 2k.. so ya..

can you comment on the negatives of this mod as well? at the end of the day its meant to be a game if every battle is going to last 5 hours and ill be forced to use maces and swords are just for decorative purposes then i dont see the point. if batanians will just run over their neighbours on every save then whats the point

To be fair, vanilla Bannerlord's economy perpetually walks on egg shells and seems to collapse all over again with almost every major new patch.

It's a game held together by spaghetti code, so it shouldn't really be a surprise when a mod interferes with the AI or economy in some way -considering the volatility the foundation of the game undergoes with the constant patching.

When I say Bannerlord is unplayable without Realistic Battle Mod installed, I'm coming almost entirely from an active gameplay standpoint, meaning specifically the combat. You can certainly play Bannerlord purely as a simulator, simply collecting denars and land and food and F1-F3 your way through battles -from big sieges to the smallest bandit hideout raids, but doing so causes the player to miss out on a core piece of the Mount&Blade experience.

Not to mention, RBM actually distinguishes higher-tier troops from trash units, by giving them much improved survivability. In vanilla, melees are just a numbers game -or you can simply collect as many ranged units as possible and have them stand there and mow everything down.

RBM gives players a chance to actively engage with the game, providing a much more interactive experience.

If I'm wearing elite armor, and some Tier 2 footman hits me with his 1h sword for 80 damage, then that's incredibly discouraging, and it turns me off from participating in combat in the future.

I know it's not popular with everyone, but in regards to a character wearing top-tier armor, I'd rather have a 1h sword do 8 damage instead of 80.

RBM gives players a chance to actively engage with the game, providing a much more interactive experience.

If I'm wearing elite armor, and some Tier 2 footman hits me with his 1h sword for 80 damage, then that's incredibly discouraging, and it turns me off from participating in combat in the future.

ya i was seriously put off by this as well. spend a lot of money upgrading gear for myself and companions and comes a looter with a rock and knocks me unconscious.

that being said though its off putting that daggers cost 3.5k and crafted weapons using much better materials sell for a fraction of that. where's the logic?

i am trying it out though since on other aspects it makes more sense, specifically on the armor side of things. had to disable the AI module though as it doesnt play well with the new OoB.

The AI module basically splits cavalry in two wings to guard the flanks, they'll fight enemy cavalry there to prevent flanking and after defeating them they will charge on the flanks of the main infantry body when your own infantry is about to engage the enemy, this is done to make AI fighting a bit more inteligent but if you want to prevent the AI doing this to your own men you have to command your cavalry yourself, if you place it under the AI by delegating command it will split the cavalry in half and try to apply that tactic.
this is all very nice but if i stipulate on the OoB screen that if i want one group with 5 units and one with 20 units and do not turn on the delegate command on either then that is what i would expect to see when the battle starts.

but the battle starts and the ai module rearrenges the two groups to have 50% of units each. they dont send them to any flank though they remain where i put them - just with new numbers in them.

this is all very nice but if i stipulate on the OoB screen that if i want one group with 5 units and one with 20 units and do not turn on the delegate command on either then that is what i would expect to see when the battle starts.

but the battle starts and the ai module rearrenges the two groups to have 50% of units each. they dont send them to any flank though they remain where i put them - just with new numbers in them.
Sounds like bug or something is being messed up, as mine is working fine.
Check the requirements of RBM and load order

For me it's probably the PartyScreenEnhancements and the RTS camera. The first one ads just a few buttons that let you halve the time you spend in the menus doing basic stuff like upgrading troops, the other one is a dramatic improvement to battles as it allows you to both pause the game and use an RTS-type camera to observe the batttle from the sky, which in combination let you actually order troops around during battles AND fight in them at the same time without insane micromanagement.
For me it would be:
RTS camera
Spear rework/fix
Diplomacy
RBM
Improved Garrisons
And Custom Troops / My little warband (TBF I think that one is going to be implemented into game)

I can think of several mods with features that should be added to Bannerlord, but they're all for either original M&B or Warband.

Sword of Damocles (M&B) includes a wide range of fief management options, including tax rates, edicts, economic buildings, and barracks.

Europe 1805 II (M&B) includes purchasable houses, adjustable tax rates, materials requirements for buildings, and so on.

The Last Days of Middle Earth (both M&B and Warband) uses an overall "faction strength" for each faction, which is depleted whenever a lord recruits fresh troops and replenishes periodically. Taking too many losses over too short a timespan will weaken the faction, allowing for less recruitment in the next cycle. Every battle makes at least some difference in the overall force balance, no matter how small the action.

+1 havent played the middle one but both SoD and TLD had some really really good gameplay mechanics and yes the overall Faction Strength of TLD was a great idea so that every battle did matter

I didn't include de re militari in my post but yeah, I believe it is a must-have and am glad that someone else thinks so.

This is why I do not want RBM implemented in native. If someone wants to use a sword they should be able to, and not be limited by "realism". Realism does not always make for good gameplay.

Anyway, I don't think RBM will be implemented that way, if any way. TaleWorlds is aiming for a more casual audience, not hardcore realism fans, luckily enough.

This is why I do not want RBM implemented in native. If someone wants to use a sword they should be able to, and not be limited by "realism". Realism does not always make for good gameplay.

Anyway, I don't think RBM will be implemented that way, if any way. TaleWorlds is aiming for a more casual audience, not hardcore realism fans, luckily enough.
fair enough, though there is a world of diference between vanilla toilet paper armors and lightsabers to RBM more realistic take on armor and weapons.

Honestly if TW had kept the armor/weapon balance of warband for bannerlord i wouldn't have had a single complaint about it, it was the perfect compromise between both to me, armors that actually worked as they should while not limiting player's playstyle too much once they leveled and got good gear.

I guess I can understand wanting to use swords more, they are my favorite weapon to use in the base game but the fact that you haven't tried it in awhile means you probably should again, RBM makes the game good in terms of battlefield combat. Watching vanilla where 200 infantry just smash their heads into each other and its over in 30 seconds is a sorry excuse for combat lol. At the very least the AI module in RBM needs to be implemented or remade by taleworlds. It gives the units a tiny bit of a brain and they act like they dont want to die.

I disagree, not for the sake of "realism" but to make each weapon type more unique
Blunt weapons should be much better against armoured opponents and swords should be better against lightly armoured/unarmoured opponents, as well as being faster. It also makes heavy infantry tankier against lower-level units who usually have blades.
+ The piercing/stabbing damage from swords should still be viable against heavy armour.

Diplomacy
Separatism
RBM
RTS (just to send troops to a specific target, dont care for camera)
Improved garrison
Open source armory
Feel the hit

Xoberax friedly fire + Yell out + Rise your banner, w/o that circle
over troops make things cool
True series
Bandit militia
Allegiance overhaul
Agriculture estate
Populations of calradia

Last edited:
For my money as a semi-casual PC player..
I mostly look for a good RPG experience in bannerlord.

I find RBM to be a positive influence overall, spicing things up and making the game more challenging; nevertheless, every playthrough I roleplay differently: swordman>archer>axeman>maceman etc. So if a mod forced me to play as maceman every single time, it would become boring real quick.

As of late I stay away from RBM, all the negative comments are frightening.

For my money as a semi-casual PC player..
I mostly look for a good RPG experience in bannerlord.

I find RBM to be a positive influence overall, spicing things up and making the game more challenging; nevertheless, every playthrough I roleplay differently: swordman>archer>axeman>maceman etc. So if a mod forced me to play as maceman every single time, it would become boring real quick.

As of late I stay away from RBM, all the negative comments are frightening.
RBM is based of 2 modules, AI for battles and Combat modules for Armor and Weapons, I recommend having at least AI

is it true what they say over at the page in nexusmods though?

i keep reading a lot of praise for this mod here on these forums but no criticism at all. i installed it for a few minutes and realised it had messed up my whole economy whereby a pugio cost like 15k and long swords 2k.. so ya..

can you comment on the negatives of this mod as well? at the end of the day its meant to be a game if every battle is going to last 5 hours and ill be forced to use maces and swords are just for decorative purposes then i dont see the point. if batanians will just run over their neighbours on every save then whats the point
Against heavy armored units, swords are less usefull.

But is possible to edit units.
For example, elite cataphrats changed to horse archers (no shields, with bow/arrows).
Just remove the bow/arrows lines and its done.

Back
Top Bottom