Lords and Companions on the Battlefield

Users who are viewing this thread

Above

Recruit
In Warband any named units and companions were forces to be reckoned with and I remember watching my high level companions have huge impact once the battles got going. Faction leaders were like final bosses and I have horrifying flashbacks of King Ragnar cutting through my units. In Bannerlord they seem to just get lost in the crowd and barely have any presence, many lords die without killing a single unit. Does anyone have any mods, tweaks or suggestions to make Bannerlord lords feel a bit more like they did in warband? Realistic Battle Mod is a huge help cause they fix armor and many other things but its not quite there

i feel its down to armour not being able to give much protection even against things like rocks
That's what you would think but realistic battle mod also adjusts armor pretty significantly so that isn't the case. The lords still do not do much which makes me think that a big part of whats missing is the impact from attributes and weapon proficiency's and where the lords sit within their battle formation. The old warband ai had the lords lead the cavalry at the front and now they sit behind the melee infantry so the only time they get involved is later once the battle has mostly been decided

[...] and now they sit behind the melee infantry so the only time they get involved is later once the battle has mostly been decided

I had just noticed that (in 1.6.5). One of my companions is a party leader (all his troops are Cav and HA only) and during the battle, the companion was on his horse leading my infantry! in my battles, he was standing on the left side of my infantry line (formation I).
I think the game considers all companions as infantry and automatically assigns them to the first formation. I usually assign my other companions to a different formation (usually VII) so I can order them around as seen fit. I should disband that party, have him rejoin mine and assign him to VII then make him have his own party and see if he becomes part of formation VII.
I've been fighting the Southern Empire with a 2 party army: MC with Inf/Archers and Comp with Cav/HA, but for some reason the Comp is leading my infantry!
What I did notice is that my party leader gets wounded every time and often misses a battle until health is restored.

I think this might be one of the changes in 1.7.0 in which you can assign the Companions as leaders of specific formations, it's still kinda buggy but might be something beneficial...we'll see.

do you recommend this mod?
you should definitely play with this mod, it is almost fundemental to a somewhat playable experience, the differences between battles with and without are night and day

this post is from the mod author i believe and gives video examples of how the infantry behave depending on how much of the mod you use. Give it a quick look if u have the time

you should definitely play with this mod, it is almost fundemental to a somewhat playable experience, the differences between battles with and without are night and day

this post is from the mod author i believe and gives video examples of how the infantry behave depending on how much of the mod you use. Give it a quick look if u have the time

Thanks i tried it but was put off by changes i thought were beyond the scope of the mod.

Specifically they messed up all the prices of items and gear for instance i saw pugios listing price at thousands of gold costing significantly more than larger weapons so i uninstalled it.

Thanks i tried it but was put off by changes i thought were beyond the scope of the mod.

Specifically they messed up all the prices of items and gear for instance i saw pugios listing price at thousands of gold costing significantly more than larger weapons so i uninstalled it.
lol. You missing out big time for being impatient.

You could try HP from Level:
But it also increases to HP of high level troops. A good mod to make units a bit different I think.

You could try HP from Level:
But it also increases to HP of high level troops. A good mod to make units a bit different I think.
This is a great idea to use in combination. Shortly after posting this I found a mod that increases or changes alot of the bonuses from the attributes, i.e. health from one and more interestingly the more points u have in vigor the mroe you cant cut through people like the original mod that enabled the same thing. Unfortunately this mod has issues with saves and reloads atm

Normal units in warband had less stats in general, even high tier units were like only level 26 I think, and the weapon profficencies were also not that high, furthermore there is a huge difference between low and high profficencies. Meaning once your companions get high skills they will outstat every other unit in the game.
In bannerlord the skills of normal units are much higher, and there is much less difference between high level and low level skills. It's also harder to increase your max HP.
Regardless of how useless they are in combat, they are still necessery to be captains and give bonuses to your units.

Normal units in warband had less stats in general, even high tier units were like only level 26 I think, and the weapon profficencies were also not that high, furthermore there is a huge difference between low and high profficencies. Meaning once your companions get high skills they will outstat every other unit in the game.
In bannerlord the skills of normal units are much higher, and there is much less difference between high level and low level skills. It's also harder to increase your max HP.
Regardless of how useless they are in combat, they are still necessery to be captains and give bonuses to your units.
I can see what you mean but I cant remember the last time I didn't play a modded warband and in stuff like perisno the regular units definitely had very high levels and proficiencies think the level was around 40 and proficiencies in the 400's at least. Playing some of my old warband it seems one of the big factors is also just how combat stretches out. By the end of warband combat the people always left were the high level cavalry and they would chase each other around the outside of the map, I think horse archers especially caused this (they would just run away from the fight trying to shoot down a unit behind them) but the result was small pockets of cavalry battles all around the map where high level high armored companions had a good chance of picking off a few enemies on their own and then moving on to the next pocket.

I just wish companions stood out and I wish other generals all had a small retinue of named bodyguards it would make the whole battlefield more interesting for me and make fighting a general or king a much harder feat, the more impact lords and generals have on the battle the more memorable they become. I cant remember a single lords name in bannerlord since they are all just cookie cutter nonsense and since skills dont mean much. I want a king with super high tactics to be a menace with army management or have someone like the leader of the Khuzait just be a raw stat stick king who carves his own path on the battlefield. Right now lords in general just feel bland and boring to me, same with companions obviously, i suspect they'll change that eventually. but this is all just personal opinion, and I like the potential bannerlord has, it just doesnt seem like combat, the most basic and fundamental part of having fun in this game, is focused on at all. It makes me think they just got really lucky with warband in some ways

Last edited:
I want a king with super high tactics to be a menace with army management
Ironically there is a system that changes tactical AI based on the commander's tactics skill, but at high tactics skill it just uses that questionable circle formation and it ends up being worse then low tactics commander.

Back
Top Bottom