Yes, spears, again

Users who are viewing this thread

kweassa

Sergeant at Arms
An interesting excerpt from the 16th century Ming Dynasty general, Qi Jiguang (戚繼光: 1473~1544), in his book, "New Treatise on Effective Discipline (紀效新書.)."

Before proceeding, there is a need to explain why this particular general, and his book is relevant. General Qi Jiguang was from the Chinese Ming Dynasty, and lived during a time which the Ming Empire did not see any major, large-scale wars outside of routine defense of the northern borders. He lived about a generation or two before the largest international war in history (up to that specific point), the Imjin War (or Bunroku/Keicho no Eki in Japanese) would take place in the Korean Peninsula between 1592-1598 CE.

However, despite not having taken part in such a large-scale war, Qi Jiguang ALWAYS pops up in any kind of list that compiles the names of the most capable generals in Chinese history. This is because the times Qi Jiguang lived in, was a time of overall decline for the Ming Empire. With bureaucratic corruptions taking hold of the enormous Chinese territories, regional defense doctrines became quickly obsolete, and would often degenerate into temporary defense strategies relying on large number of poorly trained militia. Having noticed this weakness in the defenses of the Empire, the infamous, bloodthirsty Japanese pirate forces, more notoriously known as "wako", started campaigns of relentless annual raids, which quickly grew in their scale.

Unlike the initial raids, these attacks would soon begin to see pirates in the raiding fleet number in the tens of thousands. Because the regional defense system was unreliable and would fall apart so easily, the pirate bands would start their attack on coastal villages, make their way inland in a raiding campaign, destroying militia forces and even Ming regular forces. By the time the well-trained, disciplined forces sent by the central government would arrive at those regions, the pirates would already have packed up and be gone. The most favorite of targets for those pirate armies, would be Zhejiang Province, close to modern Nanjing and Shanghai, a major coastal economic hub of Southern China.

In this backdrop, began the career of General Qi Jiguang. He was to take charge of the poorly trained regional defense forces and stop pirate incursions. His task was to round up the rabble, who were objectively no match at all against the battle-hardened wako, who were so notorious in their prowess with their long swords that some years later a Chinese martial artist would write a treatise on the Japanese sword, and introduce the weapon into the Chinese military. General Qi would ultimately succeed in this task, and train such a disciplined army with effective system of combat, that the regular forces of this province would soon gain their own nomenclature. They would be called the "Qijiajun (戚家軍)" -- "The Army of Qi." And in a few decades, the Ming Dynasty would be considered to have two bands of elite military forces -- the Northern Arm, a professional army made of elite cavalry forces, guarding the northern borders against Jurchen incursion, and would defend the gates of China until the final moments of the Ming Empire in 1644, and the Zhejiang Forces, elite infantry forces that began with Qi Jiguang.

Qi, devised a training regime of disciplined infantry formation-fighting that specialized in intercepting Japanese swordsmen at a distance with polearms, known as the "Mandarin Duck Formation", which I've actually written about quite some time ago in the old forums for the first Mount&Blade game.

Now, the reason why I brought this history up, and introduced Qi Jiguang, was to emphasize that this guy, KNEW what real combat was. He was a military man entrusted with the task of transforming poorly-trained rabble into professional soldiers, participated in numerous number of battles against ruthless wako armies, coming up with a training regime and battle plan to lead soldiers of objectively lower martial prowess than the Japanese, to winning and defending the Zhejiang Province. through group formation tactics. The book I am taking the excerpt from is considered a masterpiece of military manuals of the contemporary era, is less interested metaphysic quandaries and mentions actual experiences and real-life examples to make his point. A significant part of the book is dedicated to criticizing the "uselessness" of civilian martial arts as being impractical and just for show, and discusses why it doesn't work in a real battlefield.

In that light, here is the passage I wish to introduce, that discusses weapons and the advantage of "reach."

舊法, 鈀, 棍, 大刀, 俱手握在柄中, 其手去鋒頭 不及二尺長.
却又雙使倒用, 遠身縱橫, 此遊方敎師 單人對擊, 飾觀者之
目則可. 彼之長槍 閃閃而進, 疾如流星, 短器就習精熟, 膽
大敢當, 只能格得彼 不中入我身耳.

In the old ways, one may hold a military fork (ba), a long staff (gun), or a glaive (dadao) in the middle of the gripping part and the reach of the weapon between one's hand to the tip of the weapon would not reach 60 centimeters.
Some say (with such a grip) you can use both ends of the weapon, and move the weapon criss-cross in a fancy manner. However, such use is only possible in road shows put up by wandering martial arts showmen, just to put up a fancy display.
What can be seen (What happens in reality), is that if the opponent's long spear advances unto you in a flash like a speeding shooting star, even someone who is very capable with his weapon may at best, only hope to fend off the stabs despite fighting with courage and cool composure.

- On using shorter weapons in a long manner,
"New Treatise in Effective Discipline"

For a bit of context,. the chapter is named "On using shorter weapons in a long manner." The chapter discusses "old ways," of using short weapons -- although in this case, all of the weapons mentioned in the chapter are actually types of polearms.

It is difficult to come up with a precise translation of the weapons, but the Chinese weapon "ba", is a weapon with a forked or pronged head, much similar to a military fork. A "gun" is a staff, or at times a club-like weapon extremely elongated and thinned-out much like a staff, and a "dadao" means "large sword," and at the time was the name for a glaive-like weapon with an extremely large blade, and relatively quite shorter handle, than compared with a typical glaive. Think of a glaive, and then imagine the blade is elongated down to almost half the weapon's length. Or, conversely, imagine a very large two-handed sword with a glaive-like blade, with the sword handle elongated around twice or thrice the size of normal sword handle. That's what the Ming "dadao" was.

Now, what the chapter is in a nutshell, is General Qi mentioning that these weapons should be used with a longer grip with more of the weapon out front so it has a longer reach -- otherwise the weapon becomes useless and cannot make advantage of its status as a polearm. He mentions that grabbing the middle of the polearm and attacking with both the tip and butt, and doing stuff like twirling it around and stuff, is just for martial arts showmen and does not work in actual combat. If you have a shorter polearm/pole weapon, then the you need to hold it in a way to extend the reach as long as possible.,

Certainly, that is by itself relevant to the game, in how the characters hold a pole weapon. Certainly, it's no secret that the character animations in a lot of the weapons are quite wrong. However, the part that catches the attention is this:

What can be seen (What happens in reality), is that if the opponent's long spear advances unto you in a flash like a speeding shooting star, even someone who is very capable with his weapon may at best, only hope to fend off the stabs despite fighting with courage and cool composure.

This passage displays the reality of fighting against a longer spear, with a shorter weapon. Qi notes that even if someone is quite capable with a shorter weapon, against a spear, all that person can hope is to avoid getting stabbed by the spear -- much less hope to move inside the reach of the spear to attempt anything.

This is actually not any kind of secret, and already well known in historic martial arts circles, that the spear, is simply, king. Without a shield, hoping to parry a spear with a shorter weapon and to move inside the reach, is not something to be expected realistically, unless it's a scenario between someone very skilled with a sword fighting a total novice. It's not impossible. It can happen from time to time. But as a military commander who has the obligation to teach his soldiers fighting methods to keep their soldiers alive and fighting, Qi makes an assertion that realistically, it's not something to be expected.

Realistically, in melee combat, "reach" and "distance control" is the best weapon and armor at the same time. Defeating the advantages of reach, usually comes as a fantasy more often than a reality on the larger scope of things. That's what the general observed as well. That's what historical martial arts groups agree without exception. Spear, is the most versatile weapon on the field, as a military weapon.

That fear of "reach" should be in the game. But it's simply not there.

Now, I've heard arguments that the devs are keeping the spear in this state, because supposedly, they've tried it one time with faster spear attacks and observed it becoming OP. Balancing is a necessity, and I understand not everything can be portrayed in the exact way it was in real life.

But with your hands on your heart, with all honesty, even considering the balancing needs, does anyone honestly think spears are in a good place??

How many weapons in the tournament, for example, can you defeat by just flopping into the enemy, and just mash on the button with barehands to just punch out the enemy? Against spears, in 1vs1 you really don't need to even defend. The first hit hurts, but even if that hit staggers you and pushes you back a little, it's so ineffective for keeping distance that even after that hit, you can just still walk into the enemy and mash on the attack button with your punches flying. Any stab the enemy attempts does what.. 0~2 damage at most. And you can punch punch punch punch without ever using the block button and still win. In the lower levels when my own polearm/riding skill is very low, in a jousting situation I'd just knock out the horse, and then get off the horse and punch out the opponent trying to use that spear that does NOTHING to me.

The spear is already disadvantaged in that it only has two attack directions. I thought about which scenario might make the spear OP (as in the story I've heard) and I am guessing (if such an experiment actually did happen) it was probably the devs experimented with realistic spear thrust speed. I can see that if that were the case, despite only two attack directions, if it's too fast to react, when mixed in with feints it'd feel OP to fight against because you can't reach appropriately even if it's only two attack directions.

So what I am thinking is just staying away from buffing the spear's attack speed.

What I want, for the spear, is the pushback. I've experimented with both the recent versions of the pushback perks.. when it was further down the perk tree, and where it is currently, and in both cases it's not effective at all, and does nothing to remedy the poor situation the spear is in.

I can understand having to give up the quick spear jabs due to balance issues, but the factor that should absolutely not be taken away in any form, is the spear's ability to keep range.

So this is what I want to suggest as a change. As a matter of fact, this "change" should be applied not just for the spear, but rather how "thrust" type attacks work in general.

"All thrust attacks, no matter the quality of hit, pushes the character that was hit by the thrust, a further than the length of the weapon."

No matter what the quality. A good hit, a glancing blow (too close), blocked, parried, chambered... once a thrusting attack makes physical contact in any form, the opponent will be pushed back to the slightly further than the full length of the weapon when extended in a thrust.

No more bullshi* where you just stabbed someone with a 2-meter spear, but the opponent is just damaged on the spot and then immediately walks two steps in and they're smack in front of you, please.

Or, sure, the armor may have stopped the blade from going through, that's fine. So it's only 0~2 damage. But it's still a 2-meter physical rod that's driving into your torso. You don't get to just ignore that because the hit failed to produce enough damage. If it hits, you're pushed back down the length of the weapon.

No more "it's just up or down." The easiest weapon to block and make totally useless. Just up or down, with a motion so different from each other even a blind person may telegraph it. You attempt to block/parry thrust, you're going to be pushed down the length of the weapon.

If you want to get within the reach of the spear, you have two ways:

(1) Side-step and actually evade the thrust. Thrusts are already very vulnerable to sideways movement. Use it.
(2) Attempt your own attack and make a gap between the spearman's thrusts, coax him into a defensive, and then move in to the distance and use a lot of side-ways movements to stay within that reach.

Is this going to be OP? Definitely not.

There's nothing that assists the current woes of the spear in the area of offense. The spear will still only have two directions of attack, which anyone can easily defend from. That part will not change. But at least, with that reach, the spear will be the most defensive weapon, because it will become a constant effort for the opponent to try to break into reach, and the spearman just constantly, constantly pushing him back until, one side makes a mistake. Is this OP? How can it be OP when the odds of winning for the spear hasn't directly increased at all, but only the odds of losing comically reduced?

I also suggest the polearm perk of pushing back to be changed, to further the distance and enemy stagger when pushed back.

Please, do something about the spears. It's been almost two-decades this weapon was introduced into the game, without given any justice. If the spear can't become the "king," or a weapon to be feared (like the menavliton), at the least make it a weapon that's nothing to be scoffed at.

Last edited:
d95.gif

Infomative and educational.
Agreed with your suggestions, spear isn't implemented well.
What happens to me, whenever I try to roleplay as a "pikeman" (with thrust dominated spears, not swingable OP ones) I usually stab/kill one enemy, then others notice and rush me, and at that moment I am left with a long stupid stick that doesn't stab anymore as everyone is huging me.. very annoying.

So I agree,TW, PUT SOME FEAR INTO THE SPEAR !!

That fear of "reach" should be in the game. But it's simply not there.
This truly is a big issue in this game. The AI just throw themselves into enemies and smack smack get hit in the head and dead. If you've ever seen a real fight with live blade, you will know that people will instinctively keep their distance a great deal. Even against a machete, people will keep their distance at least two steps away, let alone a quick spear. Again, everybody instinctively knows to do this.

So what I am thinking is just staying away from buffing the spear's attack speed.
But that's spear's main strength. Taleworlds is compensating for spear's speed so much that it's so much slower than other weapons. A pushback is neither realistic or an effective fix to the distance issue. A spearman wouldn't have the time to prepare for another hit by the time the pushback and stun is over. Besides, due to the slow speed it's already very easy to parry a spear in this game. Even landing a bad hit is difficult.

This is a video game. There's no real fear factor involved. Players don't feel any fear for pain, let alone death, so if you want to instill any sort of fear as to make players keep their distance, you have to make spears fast and deadly. Then how do we do this? Just make the release and pull speed fast, but not the preparation speed. This way, players will have enough time to react to a spear's directional change and prepare a block, but the faster release and pull speed will make them wary of the stab. This is still very easy to counter, mind you. Player can just hold block and close the distance, but at least a spear can be deadly if the user can feint.

Thank you for this well-written post highlighting a serious issue that should by all rights concern us, we shall take it seriously and do nothing about it.
- Trust me I'm a TW employee

But that's spear's main strength. Taleworlds is compensating for spear's speed so much that it's so much slower than other weapons. A pushback is neither realistic or an effective fix to the distance issue. A spearman wouldn't have the time to prepare for another hit by the time the pushback and stun is over. Besides, due to the slow speed it's already very easy to parry a spear in this game. Even landing a bad hit is difficult.

I'm sort of trying to intentionally limit the scope of buffs suggested for thrusting polearms(and weapons that have long thrusts in general) that past discussions on spears have seen some amount of resistance from people saying "a long spear with a quick jab will be OP in multiplayer." (...as if long swinging polearms aren't, right? lol) And honestly, up to a certain point there is a bit of truth in that, since not all the variety of different, real-life techniques of shorter weapons in fighting against a spear, is adequately represented. Hence, if spearmen in the game retain a proper stance with the weapon protruding in front, and can throw around lightning fast jabs with that protruded point, then rightfully so, fans of the other weapons will demand they get other techniques to counter it.

Which would mean having to uproot the entire basic combat mechanic and update it to something entirely different, which, I don't think is a realistic goal.

Hence, I think my suggestion will work, because as said, I'm demanding a pushback on any kind of hit. Even if it's blocked or parried. (maybe, just maybe an exception for chambering) Sure, it's unrealistic, but people can get skewered by a 2-meter stick to their chest and still just walk inside the spear's reach in this game, which is just as much unrealistic.

What I envision, is that the spear will be still disadvantaged, easy to block, so when fighting against a spear, with or without shield, you will keep on blocking or parrying it easily. But every time you block/parry, you're pushed back. You move forward, parry, but the distance between you and the spearman will be reset. Try to walk in with the next block, the spear thrusts again, you block again, the distance is reset. It is, going to be frustrating to fight against a spear, but apparently "frustrating" is better than being "OP."

Given the limitations of how much some people fear the "spears becoming OP," I think hoping for a very powerful defensive weapon that's very frustrating to overcome if you have a much shorter weapon, would probably be the best we can hope for.

fans of the other weapons will demand they get other techniques to counter it.

Which would mean having to uproot the entire basic combat mechanic and update it to something entirely different, which, I don't think is a realistic goal.
That technique already exists. It's holding block. It will still be very easy to beat a spearman even with the speed increase, because you only need to hold block and watch out for the up/down switch. Increasing the thrust speed and recovery will only make spears viable, not OP or frustrating.

Hence, I think my suggestion will work, because as said, I'm demanding a pushback on any kind of hit. Even if it's blocked or parried.
This is exactly what will cause people to complain. "I already blocked but I got pushed anyway!" Again, spear's slow attack speed will make the push only a one time thing. By the time the stun is over the spearman will still be recovering. The opponent can get past the spear point within that timeframe.

It is, going to be frustrating to fight against a spear, but apparently "frustrating" is better than being "OP."
You already know it's frustrating, so why even push the idea? At the end of the day this is a game. Making a game frustrating in the name of balance is not a good idea.

Also, may as well give my opinion now that I'm here, yeah spears are borderline broken right now, as are many things with combat in BL, and they critically need fixing.

Think it's because thrust attacks in this game use the same calculations as swings with the speed modifiers/handling so it ends up only applying the damage at the 'end' of the thrust/tip length of the spear.
I don't know exactly how the handling stat/calculation works entirely, but maybe drastically reducing the handling of spears? So that at any point from releasing the thrust it applies higher damage to at least make it more deadly; doesn't speak to the distancing element ('fear factor') but I don't know how that could be implemented easily. How spears are currently, you have to 'cheat' it by thrusting towards an open area so the animation goes through then quickly point it at last second at the opponent which then applies the damage.

Good post, not sure they'll ever do anything about it but it's good. So far, the only good polearm I've played with in M&B are muskets with bayonets in Napoleonic wars. They can very well make them that fast, we fought like that the whole time. Also, spears should be allowed to ignore friendly collisions for atleast some of the animation frames, spears suckk in formation while it should very much not be the case

That technique already exists. It's holding block. It will still be very easy to beat a spearman even with the speed increase, because you only need to hold block and watch out for the up/down switch. Increasing the thrust speed and recovery will only make spears viable, not OP or frustrating.
Ideally, perhaps. However that's not the story I've heard -- which, as I mentioned, supposedly there already was an experiment, and the results were people were finding it too difficult to handle. I'm not exactly against a mild boost in attack and recovery, but the amount of boost to make it "viable" -- at least in somewhat realistic sense -- might be too severe.

This is exactly what will cause people to complain. "I already blocked but I got pushed anyway!" Again, spear's slow attack speed will make the push only a one time thing. By the time the stun is over the spearman will still be recovering. The opponent can get past the spear point within that timeframe.
Like said, IMO it's better to be considered "frustrating (= difficult)" to fight against, rather than be considered, "it's OP (= so nerf it back)." Also, even in the current game, the spear recovery is not so slow as to allow guaranteed hits. Not even a chambered attack against spear thrusts can land guaranteed hits, as it is.

The problem is that with each block (typically around only 2 at most) the opponent gets closer and closer until the spear loses all potency and has no way to re-establish the distance... because once the distance is closed, the spear thrusts cannot deal any damage high enough to stun or even cancel the opponent's attack animation, much less push him back (as you undoubtedly already know). Like said, the spear's too slow, yes, but it's not THAT slow. What happens when someone closes in and just mashes attack buttons, is after blocking one attack from the enemy the spearman does get an opportunity to try to retaliate -- but that retaliation deals typically no damage (or very low damage), cannot cancel his attacks, and therefore the spear hit is ignored and you're the one who gets hit;. I think it can be accurately described as, "once the distance is closed in, every attack from the opponent effectively becomes a chambering attack" sort of situation.

Typically, in that situation players using shorter weapons can use the weapon push function to stun the enemy and slightly push him back to regain control. That control is regained, because once the opponent's hit by the push and gets staggered momentarily, you get the initiative and your weapon attacks will damage him squarely, which is why the opponent has to stop his attack, focus on defense, until he regains control. Unfortunately, for spears, even that weapon push distance is too short. After pushing the enemy, even a very short spear (160 or less) or a javelin, has a chance to fail in dealing damage.

For a normal, longer spear, you have to use the weapon push, and then step back, to gain enough distance for the weapon to be able to deal damage -- but this means you're wasting the time the opponent's been staggered, so after regaining distance the initiative goes to neither side, starts off neutral, the spear's attack is blocked the very next instance, and then it's right back to hell for the spearman.

So, that, is what I'm trying to remedy -- not get the spears attacking faster, but to make it a "reach hell" for the opponent when fighting a spearman, so it feels like "I probably won't lose to this spear guy, but goddamn it, I don't think I can win either."

You already know it's frustrating, so why even push the idea? At the end of the day this is a game. Making a game frustrating in the name of balance is not a good idea.
Not if it's the right kind of frustrating.

The frustration spear fans feel, is the wrong kind of frustration, caused by systematic problems that stack the odds so much against the spear, that the weapon feels like a self-gimping challenge rather than the "king of the pre-modern battlefield."

The frustration with the spears forcing distance, is the right kind of frustration. Like in fighting games, there's a power fighter archetype and a speed/technical fighter archetype. One side is slow but super strong and sturdy with high damage, the other side weak and frail but super fast with a lot of combo attacks. When both play to their strengths, both sides will feel it's difficult to take on the other: the strong one may find it frustrating to pin down the other guy, and the fast one may find it frustrating his attacks are not doing enough damage at all. That's the "right kind of frustration" I think the spear needs to cause, against its opponent.

However that's not the story I've heard -- which, as I mentioned, supposedly there already was an experiment, and the results were people were finding it too difficult to handle.
Do you have a link to this experiment? If it's an internal experiment done by Taleworlds, then I won't take it as credible.

I've been trying to master spearfighting in multiplayer, and perhaps you should try it too. You will see that even a novice can beat a spearman really easily. Spears are only viable against cav and group fights, but even then if someone is tracking on you, you can only hope your teammate kills him before he kills you. There's no such thing as spears being too OP.

No matter how fast a spear thrust and recovery time is, once the opponent is holding block, the opponent is safe unless the spearman feints. A spearman would be walking backwards, and that's slower than the opponent walking forward. The opponent will certainly get past the spear point.

In real life, a spear can maintain a distance because it's quick (both in thrust and change of direction) and hard to parry. It can even get past a bind because it's longer than the sword it's binding against. All of this is missing in the game due to the directional block system, so it will not make spears OP. It will only make it more viable by enabling more faster hits and spook the enemy away with threats of quick stabs (but still counterable with holding block).

There's one more thing I can confidently tell you. Spears do not push people away. It will be very stupid to even try, as it will give your opponent time to grab your spear. That's not how you use a spear IRL.

the spear recovery is not so slow as to allow guaranteed hits.
I said the spear recovery is slow enough to allow the enemy to get past the spear point. It doesn't give the opponent a guaranteed hit because the spearman will be ready to block, but only block. The spearman can no longer attack effectively as the distance is already closed.

because once the distance is closed, the spear thrusts cannot deal any damage
This is accurate to real life, so it's not a problem. That's exactly how you beat a spear. The issue is that spear's slow speed allows people to close the distance too easily. As I said, in real life it's difficult to close the distance because of the spear's speed and reach. If you want to fix this problem, you should fix this part of the encounter.

"I probably won't lose to this spear guy, but goddamn it, I don't think I can win either."
Then why play? Such stalemate is not good gameplay. It's just a waste of time, and that's not fun. The swordsman has no way to counter the push, and the spearman has no way to kill because the distance is already closed. You can only push the opponent to the max reach of the spear at most, and even with that, the opponent can just take a step and it's already past the spear point, because the spear is slow.

Real life already gives a good model for weapon-based fighting. Following realism is generally the best path to make a game fair and fun. Because it's based on reality, players can make assumptions and think of countermeasures intuitively. An unavoidable spear push will only make people grimace at the sheer nonsense being shown to them. No countermeasure. No fun. Just leave.

Do you have a link to this experiment? If it's an internal experiment done by Taleworlds, then I won't take it as credible.
I don't. I have no idea if it's hearsay, but I do remember the discussion was on other threads about the spear that happened nearly a year ago.

I've been trying to master spearfighting in multiplayer, and perhaps you should try it too. You will see that even a novice can beat a spearman really easily. Spears are only viable against cav and group fights, but even then if someone is tracking on you, you can only hope your teammate kills him before he kills you. There's no such thing as spears being too OP.
There is such a thing.

I've stopped playing multiplayer for this game around like version 1.3.x or so I'm not sure if stuff has changed much over the past year, but this is not the only Medieval-themed game I've played, and my gaming experience itself starts with 3D fighting games around two decades back. There is such a thing as "too OP" in that even with just two or three choices in block, human response time is limited.

Generally from a third-person perspective something that's around 0.5 secs in activation is about the limit for an average gamer. Higher skill levels involve faster reaction times, but even with such 0.4 second is the upper limit of what people can respond to. Anything faster and it largely becomes a matter of luck.

From the looks of it not even the fastest of weapons in this game are that fast in activation time. Compared to more dedicated fighting games all weapons are relatively a bit slower. With short spears you can get the attack speed up to around the speed of average one handed swords, around 85 or so. The problem is, as we notice, even that speed is inadequate currently -- which means the attack speed of the spear, for it to have effect as you want, would need to be brought up to that 0.4~0.5 second range. That will most probably give off the effect as you imagine, with the speartip feeling so fast, making it even worse with feints mixed in, that the opponent will be one-sided discouraged to attempt to close distance.

TLDR version:
In order to make people fear the spear, through purely attack speed alone, it needs to be buffed up to such a level that it'd completely disrupt the game balance.

No matter how fast a spear thrust and recovery time is, once the opponent is holding block, the opponent is safe unless the spearman feints. A spearman would be walking backwards, and that's slower than the opponent walking forward. The opponent will certainly get past the spear point.

In real life, a spear can maintain a distance because it's quick (both in thrust and change of direction) and hard to parry. It can even get past a bind because it's longer than the sword it's binding against. All of this is missing in the game due to the directional block system, so it will not make spears OP. It will only make it more viable by enabling more faster hits and spook the enemy away with threats of quick stabs (but still counterable with holding block).
That's the problem here. You're demanding bringing in "real life" level of weapon speeds in a game format which essentially needs to simplify and tone-down real-life to a viable level to make it playable for the gamers, just for the sake of the spear. That is not an option.

If we want real life depiction, you want the spear to have a more forward-protruding stance with attacks repeating like a lightning-fast boxing jab that has a 2-meter reach. Is it going to have the the desired effect? Of course it will -- at the expense of making all the other weapons obsolete in turn. Again, that's not an option.

There's one more thing I can confidently tell you. Spears do not push people away. It will be very stupid to even try, as it will give your opponent time to grab your spear. That's not how you use a spear IRL.
Nobody said that's what happens in real life. As a matter of fact, in "real life" none of the weapons in the game act the way they do. The objective of balancing the game is not about making everything "like real life." That's what you're keeping on conflating here.

Look, the end-result of my initial suggestion, and what you want, is essentially the same. The spear will enforce it's reach. However, you want it as happens in real life, with the short, protruded spear jabs happening so fast that the opponent will have to be making perfect blocks with zero mistakes at a blinding speed to keep up with the spear jabs to close in. In real life, that's an extremely unlikeley thing to happen, and like you said, it simply discourages the opponent from trying to close in. And I will guarantee once that happens, the game's going to revert back to nerfing the spears down to the ground, because that's going to cause an uproar.

You have to think about buffing up the spear, but at the same time in a reasonable manner that's compliant to the game's limitations and format, whcih the people who aren't such spear-lovers will accept. Instead, you're suggesting a change as someone who uses spears, without a care about what's going to happen to people who're fighting against them.

What you want is the "realistic results" -- a dominance of spears as an almost unassailable weapon, due to their reach advantage and extremely fast attacks. That simply is not going to happen.

that the opponent will be one-sided discouraged to attempt to close distance.
Yes. So what's the issue? That's literally what we both want to happen. Spearmen being able to maintain their distance. The main difference is that via buffing spear speed, it's still possible to beat a spearman (therefore balance), while unavoidable push effect doesn't.

There is such a thing as "too OP" in that even with just two or three choices in block, human response time is limited.
Then I suggest you play more multiplayer. Overestimating a fast feinter is a mistake I personally learned to overcome. They're not that dangerous, and neither spears will be if we increase their thrust speed. Besides, a regular weapon in this game is way faster. They get swung around much faster than spears. Swings can go even faster with the mouse swing trick. A jab will not have that same trick. It will not be too OP.

Of course it will -- at the expense of making all the other weapons obsolete in turn. Again, that's not an option.
No they won't. Once the swordsman gets past the spear point, the spearman still can't fight back, which is realistic. It's not OP if it can be overcome and countered.

Hell. Look at ranged weapons. They're literally unparriable, have much longer range, but they're not OP. Because they can be countered with shields. The same with spears. No matter how fast you make a spear, a shield will allow you to kill a spearman very easily, which, again, is realistic.

As a matter of fact, in "real life" none of the weapons in the game act the way they do.
This is straight up false. It's true that the game is not exactly like real life (nothing will), but it's very damn close. A bow shoots pretty much like that. A shield blocks hits pretty much like that. A sword is swung pretty much just like that. But a spear is not as slow as in this game and that's why it's in the gutter right now.

Look, the end-result of my initial suggestion, and what you want, is essentially the same.
No. Very different. My suggestion will result in a more threatening spear, but still counterable with good blocks or a shield. Your suggestion will result in a stalemate because the push is unblockable and has no counter.

Look my friend. You said it yourself that you haven't played multiplayer in about a year. I suggest you try it again. Try to see how good people are with blocking. Get a feel on it. Once you're used to the tempo, try using a spear. You will see what it lacks.

In reality, the spear is the superior melee weapon, no matter how you twist and turn it.

If spears were realistic in M&B, there wouldnt be a need for other weapons.

1. Gameplay
2. Realism

Nice post!

I salute the OP. Very informative and educating and yes, I am thinking likewise. You can jab a lot with a spear and without shield it is a pain to parry. Spear offensively? Don't know. I see spear formations as a kind of crowd control unit. Spearwall up and deny entry. Countermeasures? Shoot them, flank them, use longer polearms.

Had been done before in history. I would give a flying fart on MP balance if this feature would make SP so much better.

In reality, the spear is the superior melee weapon, no matter how you twist and turn it.

If spears were realistic in M&B, there wouldnt be a need for other weapons.

1. Gameplay
2. Realism

Nice post!
Basically that was the point, yes.

Reality as a standard, like you mentioned, spears -- especially in larger formations -- were just "king." If the game models every aspect of the spear correctly, even if other weapons are also brought up to the same standard, nobody other than maybe like top 1~5% of gamers in MP would even have a chance against a spearman.

That's clearly not I want.

There's 2 aspects to a spear that's missing from the game, one being offensive speed and reach, and the other being defensive reach. Because the offense reaches so long and is so fast, even when you know spear attacks are limited with thrusts, it becomes incredibly difficult to block a parry a spear attack, which, in turn, makes up the essence of that defensive reach as well. It enforces reach by discouraging people from trying to come inside, as the "just parry it to one side and get in close" becomes a typical "easier said than done."

However, the problem at hand, IMO, is we can't ask the devs for a spear with realistic attack speeds. None of the other weapons are at their "realistic speeds" in this game. Many are toned down to accommodate a wide range of different gamers and skill levels. Certainly the spears are not the only weapons with useful real-life techniques omitted from the game, either due to balancing reasons or technical difficulty.

So how, do you enforce that "defensive reach" without introducing the lightning quick attacks?
IMO, it has to simply be a mechanical feature.

Back
Top Bottom