Do you want more complex features, such as proper formation behaviour in Bannerlord?

Do you want more complex features in Bannerlord?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

We kinda have this feature, you can put pikemen and spearmen into one formation in the party screen menu, after the order of battle feature drops we are also going to have the ability to make them start at the front instead of sending them there every single time.

You can turn off throwing by choosing the formation and pressing F4. Yet i do agree, i wish we could change weapons on command that would be grand.
I want to be able to change weapons for the AI in captain mode, with the legionary you can get the perk to use maces but i've had situations where the AI won't switch to it against armoured enemies

Impressive!

But I wonder, in the case with 900 looters against legionaries, why does not the looters swarm the flanks and surround them, as they should have in vanilla? Would that not been an even better tactic?
They eventually do that, but smaller group is constantly backpedaling. This is fringe case really, the system is designed around more balanced army strength in which case defenders dont backpedal so much and attackers dont die in 1 hit because they got shield and some basic armor so they can stand in front of defenders at least for a little while. Which eventually leads towards partial envelopment.

I have not fought in real battles to be familiar with the behavior of the participants. It is a little strange for me that some of the soldiers just stand and watch how their comrades fight, instead of trying to help them and flank the enemies. I also worry that one such battle would take too much time
Mainly I voted with big Yes because I fully agree, that the game at this stage badly need from good diplomacy like diplomacy mod in Warband or https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/832?tab=files.
Also more control over your troop formations partially represented as playable mod here: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/355.
At the end: travelling by sea is just awesome feature
Unfortunately, with this development speed, probably I would not have the good fortune to wait and play a final version with all these improvements, but I hope, some day my grandchildren would have this opportunity!

Last edited:
I haven't tried the mods myself but just from looking at the videos it look like fighting along side your troops must be a lot easier and interesting for the player.
Playing in vanilla I tend to stay out of the big fights because I just get swarmed by both sides and can't move at all.

Not sure if this has been said already, didnt read the entire thread :oops: TL;DR

I wish I could make my own custom formations or there was more formations to pick from.
I wish I could have different units in the same formation.

Dear friends, I am a web programmer, for 3 months I have been working on a large project for a car concern. So, I alone during this time wrote more than 22 thousand lines of code, which they check after me and indicate errors or instability, and tomorrow is my last day of work on the project, because I will complete it. This game has been released for 10 years already, the last part was completely unplayable without mods and this part will be the same. Tw have taken for some reason that their main audience is these "new players", the main points such as battles and sociality, and it is in them that we spend most of the time, are not finalized at all. I bought the game over a year ago and from the first day I have not played it without mods, because it is impossible to play it without mods. This is just a visual shell, which is also full of bugs.
I am more than sure that this topic will remain unaddressed, because I cannot understand how the primary problems can remain unaddressed for so long. The only thing I can think of is that the game is outsourced, in a very distant Asian country, where everyone absolutely does not care what will come of this game.
Forgive me if I offended someone, since I myself work in a large it-company, I cannot understand why the problems take so long to be solved.

p.s. Your mod is very good and I have been playing with it for almost a year, but please, remove the shields from your shoulder, this is not realistic.

Dear friends, I am a web programmer, for 3 months I have been working on a large project for a car concern. So, I alone during this time wrote more than 22 thousand lines of code, which they check after me and indicate errors or instability, and tomorrow is my last day of work on the project, because I will complete it. This game has been released for 10 years already, the last part was completely unplayable without mods and this part will be the same. Tw have taken for some reason that their main audience is these "new players", the main points such as battles and sociality, and it is in them that we spend most of the time, are not finalized at all. I bought the game over a year ago and from the first day I have not played it without mods, because it is impossible to play it without mods. This is just a visual shell, which is also full of bugs.
I am more than sure that this topic will remain unaddressed, because I cannot understand how the primary problems can remain unaddressed for so long. The only thing I can think of is that the game is outsourced, in a very distant Asian country, where everyone absolutely does not care what will come of this game.
Forgive me if I offended someone, since I myself work in a large it-company, I cannot understand why the problems take so long to be solved.

p.s. Your mod is very good and I have been playing with it for almost a year, but please, remove the shields from your shoulder, this is not realistic.
+1

Difference between your customers and majority of the gamers is that the former has standards and will sue you (or your company) for not keeping your end of the bargain while the latter in most of cases will eat total ****, get abused as much as possible and will even defend the people who cause all of this to them.

Shoulder shields are optional, can be disabled by submod if you are playing stable varsion of bL and can be toggled on or off in the mod for beta version of the game. Also there is some precedent for them.
formation.jpg

Amazing_Facts_Macedonian_phalanx.jpg

Difference between your customers and majority of the gamers is that the former has standards and will sue you (or your company) for not keeping your end of the bargain while the latter in most of cases will eat total ****, get abused as much as possible and will even defend the people who cause all of this to them.

Shoulder shields are optional, can be disabled by submod if you are playing stable varsion of bL and can be toggled on or off in the mod for beta version of the game. Also there is some precedent for them.
formation.jpg

Amazing_Facts_Macedonian_phalanx.jpg
They are holding on to the forearm, not the shoulder). Shields serve mostly to protect against javelins and arrows, since the game uses the Vendal period as an atmosphere, and this is understandable from the richly decorated slits and armor, which was not done already in the Viking period. In general, I forgot what I wanted to say, read more about the Vendal period.)

The photos do not relate to the period of the game and not to the topic) And in the first photo, people have shields on their forearms, that is, just below the elbow.

Please read about the Vendal period, it will become clear to you.

Can you explain your thoughts about the Battle Terrain system?

1.7.0 brought no changes to combat as far as I can tell, did some changes to .xml stracture and broke .xml modding but that is bug that will be fixed. As far as terrains system goes its huge dissapointment and in some cases downgrade to quality of battles you can have. Sieges in general are better but towers on some maps are still buggy, troops are still moving a lot and leaving their positions (was supposed to be fixed / improved by the patch) and some castles were clearly made in hurry (stairs not being properly aligned with walls, random wooden beams sticking out of stone bridges, etc).

What parts of it are a step backwards? Is there anything RBM could do to resolve these?

This is very correct. I'm agnostic about the shield thing, tho.

I've worked for several small software companies and cannot fathom the excuses people keep coming up with for the progress of EA development.

A huge part of it - beyond the slack pace of coding - is the poor communication:
  1. Years and years of hype
  2. We're going to release super soon
  3. OK "super soon" is like 5 more years
  4. They develop cool and functional infantry AI that realistically massacres head-on charges by cavalry into a spear hedge - which is the entire point of a spear hedge in the first place - and a dev literally says they had to make infantry AI "silly" because it wasn't "fun" for cavalry charges to ever fail (WTAF???)
  5. Pre-launch beta has a very popular custom MP server which gets broken - apparently intentionally because some devs were jealous
  6. EA launches and the first few months of development are 90% fixing critical issues with the game engine, like not being able to work with multi-core processors or modern graphics cards
  7. Remember that "silly" infantry AI? People complained that cavalry was OP so - instead of making the infantry AI less dumb - they made cavalry AI dumb too
  8. Another dev responds to people complaining about how spears don't work - partly because they clip into shields in shieldwall formation - and - despite spears being the primary infantry weapon throughout recorded the entire history of Planet Earth - expresses surprise and concedes that "maybe" spears should not be totally useless against infantry
  9. A year passes and players make a list of features that were in the original M&B or were promised in hype marketing which they want in BL - devs act surprised that we would even want any of that functionality and admit there are no plans at all to do so
  10. Then dozens of modders sign a letter of protest because of some avoidable stupidity
  11. Months go by and TW finally says "We're going to make changes that will either make the problem better or worse"
  12. Modders freak TF out and demand an explanation - hearing nothing back but "wait for the patch"
  13. The patch is actually good, but nobody learned any lessons about communicating with customers and modders leave in droves, leaving their mods orphaned despite millions of DL's testifying to their popularity
  14. The ONE member of TW staff who actually communicated with us honestly and openly - a dev, not a comms employee - leaves
The problems with BL were entirely avoidable - even with the crappy development pace - if there were better communications. I remember about this time last year looking up the Twitter account of a top comms employee and seeing nothing recent but an anti-Israel virtue signal post. Like... WTF? You've got nothing better to do?

They are holding on to the forearm, not the shoulder). Shields serve mostly to protect against javelins and arrows, since the game uses the Vendal period as an atmosphere, and this is understandable from the richly decorated slits and armor, which was not done already in the Viking period. In general, I forgot what I wanted to say, read more about the Vendal period.)

The photos do not relate to the period of the game and not to the topic) And in the first photo, people have shields on their forearms, that is, just below the elbow.

Please read about the Vendal period, it will become clear to you.
Some of the gear in the game is from 12th century or later. Specifically the crossbows and coat of plates.

Can you explain your thoughts about the Battle Terrain system?

What parts of it are a step backwards? Is there anything RBM could do to resolve these?
Reinforcements are the problem. In large battles your reinforcements will arrive (teleport) into the default spawn position. So even if you change your position during deployment phase or during battle they will still arrive inte middle of enemy. This is huge problem in particular on maps where you spawn 130 metres from enemy (literally this hapenned to me in 1500 vs 1500 battle), so you can either choose to spawn further (if you have lot of archers for example) and get your reinforcements screwed or you can stay at default position and have your tactic screwed.

Reinforcements are the problem. In large battles your reinforcements will arrive (teleport) into the default spawn position. So even if you change your position during deployment phase or during battle they will still arrive inte middle of enemy.

That is definitely problematic, but could also be abused if all your reinforcements are just recruits so that when you get reinforcements they teleport into the middle of enemy formations and keep them there while your ranged units keep shooting.

Reinforcements are the problem. In large battles your reinforcements will arrive (teleport) into the default spawn position. So even if you change your position during deployment phase or during battle they will still arrive inte middle of enemy. This is huge problem in particular on maps where you spawn 130 metres from enemy (literally this hapenned to me in 1500 vs 1500 battle), so you can either choose to spawn further (if you have lot of archers for example) and get your reinforcements screwed or you can stay at default position and have your tactic screwed.

Yeah thanks - that makes a lot of sense. Have you put this as feedback to Taleworlds?

It seems like reinforcements should arrive at the approximate location of one's position on the world map.

I think I made this suggestion somewhere else but there should be an option to dismount cavalry.

If you Infantry Units utilize horses (or the Play Character has no Horse equipped but uses a horse on the main map) there should be a bunch of horses corralled at the rear of your deployment point. This would add some reality.

Safer for them to feed in from an appropriate map edge to allow for tactical repositioning. Opposite map edges for opposite sides. Teleporting into battle has always been immersion breaking.
More believable to have them enter from the map edge than to have them spontaneously appear in the middle of the battle. I absolutely HATE it when a group of enemies spawns directly behind me, or with me stuck in the middle, when everything was clear just a moment before.

More believable to have them enter from the map edge than to have them spontaneously appear in the middle of the battle. I absolutely HATE it when a group of enemies spawns directly behind me, or with me stuck in the middle, when everything was clear just a moment before.

Yeah absolutely this. makes me doubt they have any real tactically-driven Devs engaged here as literal teleportation into the middle of a battle is about the worst way to solve this issue. Ive seen a mod that does this brilliantly not sure why the devs dont try and replicate that

Back
Top Bottom