Where's this "hope" stuff coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

This update would have been appropriate, if it was released within the first couple months of Bannerlord's release. You know, fixing the most basic ****.

Such as sieges. In a game about fighting battles. With castles. And towns. And sieges.

but it's still not given much to celebrate about.
I can hardly celebrate even meaningful improvements to battles at this point, when from the start most of my complaints were that the game is too battle-heavy without any weight to those battles and little to do outside of them.
I've heard some call this update "going in the right direction", as has been made clear, the direction it seems to be going is where most of us were afraid it would go: Trivial improvements to the fast-paced action bits of the game, whilst not adding any depth to the game those battles should have been built around.
Oh I'm absolutely not happy with the patch, mostly because - at this stage in development - nobody is supporting Bannerlord Tweaks anymore, which I consider an absolutely essential component of the game. Without functionality to tweak the frankly moronic level of XP grind - like the arbitrary 85% penalty to combat XP in Arena/Tournament and the unforgivable grind in leveling skills like Engineering/Medicine/Roguery - this game is an insult to play. It's basically a really bad MMO.

I remember reading in some post that leveling Roguery to 275 would involve killing a MILLION peasants or TEN THOUSAND caravans.

Like... wut? The? ****?

But I recognize the improvement in the sense that - before - none of the patches provided anything that anyone cared about. Except I guess Mexxico's fixes for snowballing. This patch is proof that now there's at least one dev currently working at the company who is accomplishing anything. I'd really like basic RPG elements implemented so the game doesn't feel so soulless, but that's a stretch goal at this point for me.
This update would have been appropriate, if it was released within the first couple months of Bannerlord's release. You know, fixing the most basic ****.

Such as sieges. In a game about fighting battles. With castles. And towns. And sieges.
THIS

OH YEAH guys... fun fact:

I can't even play the game right now. Steam's UI is bugged so it won't let finish downloading the latest update. I have no idea why.

This is Bannerlord as it will be released, as what remains from their roadmap are banner bearers and various fixes across many features and this should keep Taleworlds busy for a few more months. If you don't like 1.7.0 you'll never like vanilla Bannerlord.
If this really is the case, I'll pass Bannerlord. Which sucks, cuz big reason for building a new PC for me WAS Bannerlord...

Even with these new 1.7.0 changes, WB is still a superior game overall... At a fraction of BL's price.

There’s a new tweaks mod.
THANK!

YOU!

I will now play this game... er... after the Steam update isn't glitched anymore...

If this really is the case, I'll pass Bannerlord. Which sucks, cuz big reason for building a new PC for me WAS Bannerlord...

Even with these new 1.7.0 changes, WB is still a superior game overall... At a fraction of BL's price.
With over 1000 hours in bannerlord I have gotten my money's worth out of it. It has been one of the best games I have ever played while also being one of the most disappointing games I have ever played! So much opportunity wasted ?. Bannerlord has no soul and feels empty! I love the rpg element that was in mount and blade and warband, and was so hyped that bannerlord was going to build on that premise. Unfortunately to me it seems they have moved away from the fantasy rpg aspect of the game! Now the game is all about battles, battles and more battles, granted the best freaking medieval battles you can find in a game, what a rush but that is it.

This is pretty much where I stand regarding the game.
In 2012 Banner-Lord was announced, and the consensus was we would get

Warband with: More options regarding PvE interaction
Cool unique factions
More enjoyable progression /less grind
Better looking, smooth running performance
Awesome sieges

I wasn't optimistic but when the 2016 gameplay came out and blew everyone away, I got pretty hyped.
I don't know what happened but here we are, getting hyped up for a bunch of stuff that wasn't advertised even a year ago.
I'm sure the game will be finished soon and it will be great.

EDIT: In short, I'm still trying to figure out what the plan for keep battles was in 2016 and basic collision, while many forum members are excited for elephant mounts.

Last edited:
I'm doing my regularly-scheduled "Is the game still dog balls terrible?" check-up and, after an extremely brief perusal of the trending posts, I'm surprised to see enthusiasm here for the first time in well over a year.

What motivated it? What's so great about 1.7.0 that seems to be giving the general impression that this game isn't going to be a perennial dumpster fire forever?

Is it actually a serious improvement, or is it just noobs flooding the forums with their unwarranted hopium? If the game's somewhat stable now, are mods coming back into play?

HAVE THEY FIXED SIEGES YET??? DO SPEARS OR FORMATIONS WORK?

Give me the straight dope, guys. I'm specifically curious what @MadVader, @vonbalt and @MostBlunted have to say. @Ananda_The_Destroyer and @Apocal too.

Try the game..?

With over 1000 hours in bannerlord I have gotten my money's worth out of it. It has been one of the best games I have ever played while also being one of the most disappointing games I have ever played! So much opportunity wasted ?. Bannerlord has no soul and feels empty! I love the rpg element that was in mount and blade and warband, and was so hyped that bannerlord was going to build on that premise. Unfortunately to me it seems they have moved away from the fantasy rpg aspect of the game! Now the game is all about battles, battles and more battles, granted the best freaking medieval battles you can find in a game, what a rush but that is it.
Same, honestly.

With another year of progress like the 1.7 patch, this game would be playable and enjoyable on par with Viking Conquest. As it stands, it's an Excel spreadsheet with a looter-farming simulator and a pretty GUI.
1.7.0 was a nice patch, but I still need mods to truly enjoy the game. Mods like Kaoses' Tweaks Updated.
This. Without modding heroes continuing to update that mod, I would have refused to touch this dog turd.
I wasn't optimistic but when the 2016 gameplay came out and blew everyone away, I got pretty hyped.
I don't know what happened but here we are, getting hyped up for a bunch of stuff that wasn't advertised even a year ago.
I mean... I haven't been on a hype train since Spring 2020 when I realized this game was a hot mess and that nobody was fixing it.

I'd be hyped to hear that they were adding in half of the original WB features on the list in my sig.
I'm sure the game will be finished soon and it will be great.
You are an optimism.
Fact.
It's not hope. It's cope.
FACT.
Try the game..?
I wanted some advice beforehand because my time is valuable and it takes dozens of hours to grind through the bull**** in this game to get a comprehensive view.

I've apparently played it for 91.5 hours in the last two weeks... so apparently as much as a full-time job...

And my verdict is the same as before: It has all of the bones of the greatest game ever, but it's all held together with duct tape and stale jizz. It has no soul because there's never any reason to interact with other characters or care about anything they do.
image.png

Like this right here. My wife tells me she's pregnant, so to celebrate I go and enlist in the tournament. She's my first combatant. I bash her face in with a mace. Ermmm... what? It's hard to take this jumble of half-implemented mechanics and call it a "game". At best, it's a work in progress: one I fear will never be done.

That's how I feel the majority of the forum population is in regards to BL. We are in season 7 of game of thrones here. Many people have walked away. The hard core fans left a long time ago. But a majority are still here expecting a pay off that a small indie company simply cannot provide.

This is most visible when a feature that was never advertised originally that does little to address the overarching issues is announced/released. The community latches on to it and doesn't let go until the next thing comes out and so on. Sorry to be negative. This is something I have observed in other arenas outside of gaming.

Back
Top Bottom