I finished a long campaign at day 1811 in 1.6.4/5 beta, just some thoughts about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

First, making wanderers into new Clans is a great ability and IMO has improved the player faction gameplay a lot. It's almost like a anti-bull:poop: button because no matter what other weird and unpleasant stuff the games diplomacy/relation/election/economy does, you can at least get a new clan every 500 influence. You guys want 5th war..... okay fine I'm save my influence for another clan rather then veto it. A veto is just temporary till the next smart-allec gets influence to ask for war (or peace) but a new clan will last forever (usually...). It's always your best play! I started making only female wanderer clans to try an even out the coupling for the next gen and it seemed to work pretty well. Most clans married and produced children. What I didn't count on was the epic man-stealing my female clan leader pulled, taking the lords from enemy factions into mine via marriage! Eventually I couldn't get enough women wanderers so I made them with men too, but at this point it was late game and it was pretty obvious we aren't going to take until the second gen to finish the map.

Passing policies ASAP like forgiveness of debts, trial by jury, tribunals and grazing rights really did a lot for stabilizing my faction! I was able you use diverse wanderers and recruited clans without having to match them to the fief culture. I didn't even clear hideout other then a first sweep when I first started the faction. The only rebellions I had were a couple times when the AI took a long time to siege fief and killed it's stats (maybe even decimated?) so it was already rock bottom. Of course the AI also immediately crushed the rebels and everything was honky dory afterwards.

I purposely started my faction taking my first town as soon as I got rank 4 to test the effect of making wanderer clans, since I know this is what many players do. It may have been better play to be a vassal or solo (make peace) clan and build up a collection of fiefs first, but starting this way worked out too! Of course being able to man handle the enemy faction with just 1 party is needed or obviously you can't do it. But with a full party of Khan's Guards, no mercy and no honor, you can do anything! I also started fighting the Khuzait ASAP at rank 1 so they were always weakened by the time I was rank 4. They never got to build up the dread 200 KG doom stacks. I started in Odohk as I think the edge of the map is best to start in. It seemed to work out, I didn't get any additional wars declared on me until I had overtaken all the khuzait land.

As usual, the perks Keen sight (225 scouting) and Mounted Patrols (225 riding) are an absolute all star! Even with your vassals occasionally making peace and letting out an entire faction of prisoners, the ability to round up and hold an entire faction (or several) is a great advantage! I don't know why, but the vassals never voted for peace with the Aserai or Vlandia until the end of my game when we actually had taken all their land. Nearly all of Vlandia and Aserai were in prisoner train for several years at least.

I got the 250 leadership perk (for the first time) to get an extra clan party, however by that time the whole appeal of clan parties was long gone. I would rather keep my clan members in town making babies, or in my own party as captains. I did send some poor smuks from the taverns out as parties though. I do think the general effect of leadership to recruit prisoners is pretty good though. In future game I'll probably leave Soc at 2 and raise Int instead.

Tactics is a weird skill. Even at 300+ tactics you can still lose a t6 unit when auto calcing a battle against and enemy 1/20th of your power. Not always, but just sometimes is enough to make this a bad idea. However, if you have a safe garrison (good food supply) to put your good troops in and take out a less special party, you can just auto calc lords, even equal in size without a care with tactics that high. So, while I think an option to choose what troops you use in an auto calc battle would be good, it's still handy late game.

To my surprise my first born actually got to be 18 at the end of the campaign and joined me for the last few sieges! His stats and level are kind of surprising to me! Too bad his skills are so low!

Just my map at the end. I probably will play around with this game more but it was kind of exhausting to finish the map....without taking anyone's head off.

One thing I didn't count on was that eventually my faction started often voting me to have more fiefs! Initially I kept only one fief as a base and used any other to raise clans as needed, reducing me back to only 1. But then a pleasant surprise when finally overtaking Battania, my faction gave me most of the towns. Although I had intended to just have 1 town, having multiple pit stops was actually pretty useful.

Last edited:
First, making wanderers into new Clans is a great ability and IMO has improved the player faction gameplay a lot. It's almost like a anti-bull:poop: button because no matter what other weird and unpleasant stuff the games diplomacy/relation/election/economy does, you can at least get a new clan every 500 influence. You guys want 5th war..... okay fine I'm save my influence for another clan rather then veto it. A veto is just temporary till the next smart-allec gets influence to ask for war (or peace) but a new clan will last forever (usually...). It's always your best play! I started making only female wanderer clans to try an even out the coupling for the next gen and it seemed to work pretty well. Most clans married and produced children. What I didn't count on was the epic man-stealing my female clan leader pulled, taking the lords from enemy factions into mine via marriage! Eventually I couldn't get enough women wanderers so I made them with men too, but at this point it was late game and it was pretty obvious we aren't going to take until the second gen to finish the map.

Passing policies ASAP like forgiveness of debts, trial by jury, tribunals and grazing rights really did a lot for stabilizing my faction! I was able you use diverse wanderers and recruited clans without having to match them to the fief culture. I didn't even clear hideout other then a first sweep when I first started the faction. The only rebellions I had were a couple times when the AI took a long time to siege fief and killed it's stats (maybe even decimated?) so it was already rock bottom. Of course the AI also immediately crushed the rebels and everything was honky dory afterwards.

I purposely started my faction taking my first town as soon as I got rank 4 to test the effect of making wanderer clans, since I know this is what many players do. It may have been better play to be a vassal or solo (make peace) clan and build up a collection of fiefs first, but starting this way worked out too! Of course being able to man handle the enemy faction with just 1 party is needed or obviously you can't do it. But with a full party of Khan's Guards, no mercy and no honor, you can do anything! I also started fighting the Khuzait ASAP at rank 1 so they were always weakened by the time I was rank 4. They never got to build up the dread 200 KG doom stacks. I started in Odohk as I think the edge of the map is best to start in. It seemed to work out, I didn't get any additional wars declared on me until I had overtaken all the khuzait land.

As usual, the perks Keen sight (225 scouting) and Mounted Patrols (225 riding) are an absolute all star! Even with your vassals occasionally making peace and letting out an entire faction of prisoners, the ability to round up and hold an entire faction (or several) is a great advantage! I don't know why, but the vassals never voted for peace with the Aserai or Vlandia until the end of my game when we actually had taken all their land. Nearly all of Vlandia and Aserai were in prisoner train for several years at least.

I got the 250 leadership perk (for the first time) to get an extra clan party, however by that time the whole appeal of clan parties was long gone. I would rather keep my clan members in town making babies, or in my own party as captains. I did send some poor smuks from the taverns out as parties though. I do think the general effect of leadership to recruit prisoners is pretty good though. In future game I'll probably leave Soc at 2 and raise Int instead.

Tactics is a weird skill. Even at 300+ tactics you can still lose a t6 unit when auto calcing a battle against and enemy 1/20th of your power. Not always, but just sometimes is enough to make this a bad idea. However, if you have a safe garrison (good food supply) to put your good troops in and take out a less special party, you can just auto calc lords, even equal in size without a care with tactics that high. So, while I think an option to choose what troops you use in an auto calc battle would be good, it's still handy late game.

To my surprise my first born actually got to be 18 at the end of the campaign and joined me for the last few sieges! His stats and level are kind of surprising to me! Too bad his skills are so low!

Just my map at the end. I probably will play around with this game more but it was kind of exhausting to finish the map....without taking anyone's head off.

One thing I didn't count on was that eventually my faction started often voting me to have more fiefs! Initially I kept only one fief as a base and used any other to raise clans as needed, reducing me back to only 1. But then a pleasant surprise when finally overtaking Battania, my faction gave me most of the towns. Although I had intended to just have 1 town, having multiple pit stops was actually pretty useful.
Congratulations. Sounds like a fun play through and I'm impressed you conquered Calradia without executing any prisoners. Shame about your son and heir's stats. We really need ways to train them up for a slower multi-generational play through. :smile:

I am currently doing a playthrough where my plan is to skip from me to my Grandson.

Once my son came of age, I got him married and producing heirs. Once he had several I decided to level him up to make him a Governor.

I was actually surprised at how fast he leveled up.

I made him the Quarter Master and he gained over 30 levels in Steward on his first day, my party had over 240 units. Every day after that he got around 3-4 levels until he was in the 100s, then leveled up daily. This will be repeatable for all heirs because the Clan Level greatly increased party size making it easy to level up Steward as long as food variety is high. After he obtained level 150, I stopped having him be the Quarter Master.

I then had a fight with a lot of casualties. I made my son the Surgeon and stayed in a Town to heal up. He picked up 30+ levels in Medicine over the course of healing the party. Eventually he reached level 150 in Medicine.

I also used him as an Engineer getting him levels there as well. While Sieging cities I made him the Engineer. I would swap him back to Surgeon when leading an attack. Engineer levels up slow and I got him to level 100.

During this time, he also earned 100+ levels in Bow and I think he had 50+ levels in Two Handed.

When I started leveling him up he had 3 children. After that I would leave him with his wife long enough to get her pregnant, then I would bring him back to my party to level up skills. I think he has 6 kids now.

As you can see, without my son being in my party full time he was still able to greatly improve his skills. This will be a repeatable process for any particular family member you want to level up. My character is now in his 60s, my son is in his 30s and my grandson is 15.

Since every heir will be able to adventure with the party for at least some duration, they will be able to have a decent amount of Skills prior to taking over for the player.

I am currently doing a playthrough where my plan is to skip from me to my Grandson.

Once my son came of age, I got him married and producing heirs. Once he had several I decided to level him up to make him a Governor.

I was actually surprised at how fast he leveled up.

I made him the Quarter Master and he gained over 30 levels in Steward on his first day, my party had over 240 units. Every day after that he got around 3-4 levels until he was in the 100s, then leveled up daily. This will be repeatable for all heirs because the Clan Level greatly increased party size making it easy to level up Steward as long as food variety is high. After he obtained level 150, I stopped having him be the Quarter Master.

I then had a fight with a lot of casualties. I made my son the Surgeon and stayed in a Town to heal up. He picked up 30+ levels in Medicine over the course of healing the party. Eventually he reached level 150 in Medicine.

I also used him as an Engineer getting him levels there as well. While Sieging cities I made him the Engineer. I would swap him back to Surgeon when leading an attack. Engineer levels up slow and I got him to level 100.

During this time, he also earned 100+ levels in Bow and I think he had 50+ levels in Two Handed.

When I started leveling him up he had 3 children. After that I would leave him with his wife long enough to get her pregnant, then I would bring him back to my party to level up skills. I think he has 6 kids now.

As you can see, without my son being in my party full time he was still able to greatly improve his skills. This will be a repeatable process for any particular family member you want to level up. My character is now in his 60s, my son is in his 30s and my grandson is 15.

Since every heir will be able to adventure with the party for at least some duration, they will be able to have a decent amount of Skills prior to taking over for the player.
That's encouraging.

Ananda, you sound positive, even pleasantly surprised.

Do you feel you were using "exploits" too much, or is Bannerlord now able to genuinely deliver a satisfying, sensible, medieval dynastic narrative / experience ?

( I haven't played for about a year because it was so obviously EA and really a waste of time )

Last edited:
Cool! Now do it without Khan's Guard :smile:
I have. There was a time when I favored standard khuzait raider and HA, because back then KG had only 1 stack of arrows and were much harder to get. Now they have 2 stacks of arrows and grown on trees everywhere, how can you not use them? I have also use primarily fians and primarily vlandian SS in some games and they are excellent too. What I won't do until game changes are made is use primarily infantry or Cavalry, using mostly either is just accepting much heavier losses every battle and much more time in the actual battle and of course infantry is really ****ed over by the reinforcement spawns too. Horse archers are the best not just because of killing and map speed, but because you can actually command and use them intelligently much more then other types of troops. Cavalry, you either let them cycle charge whatever they want on f6, or you put them in a SW and advance, neither is super effective as anything but distraction. Infantry, you can have them stand in SW, slowly move in SW, or get shot in face trying to run.... they just have very little game to them right now. I wish for a day when Bannerknights are like swadian knights and heavy axemen are like housecarls!

Ananda, you sound positive, even pleasantly surprised.

Do you feel you were using "exploits" too much, or is Bannerlord now able to genuinely deliver a satisfying, sensible, medieval dynastic narrative / experience ?

( I haven't played for about a year because it was so obviously EA and really a waste of time )
I feel I use the same exact types of exploits I do in warband. For instance I fire squad the enemy on the walls till they're below 1/2 power before I charge in. I will retreat to re-fill arrows against a very large force or circumvent reinforcement spawn mishaps (your guys spawning inside of enemies), I do they same thing in warband, although you need more effort to retreat without damage, but it can be done easily with a mounted party. Of course you don't have to do this, the result will be somewhat more troops lost or avoiding battles beyond a certain size.

show us ur main character stats so i can judge it

show us ur main character stats so i can judge it
4imuj.jpg

I don't think leadership beyond 200 is that good, so next time I will raise INT instead of soc. I have five unspent FP still, because..... skills are all so weak

In the armor
i_12s.jpg

One for the all the friends who died (had nothing to do with me) along the way.

Back
Top Bottom