Tried Warband for the first time. Why didn't they just do a remastered version instead of Bannerlord?

Users who are viewing this thread

So, after a year or so I decided to get a cheap copy of Warband. It is hard if you come from BL. I am trying Floris Evolved and I can see why people were commenting on Warband's features. So, my question is: Why haven't they decided to just remaster what they had instead of adventuring in BL? Why not just a graphics overhaul and some additions such as those that are in Floris and similar?
Because if they did, TW would have been criticised for not adventuring enough...
I see you already switched to a modded gameplay on warband... Did you try a pure "vanilla" gameplay? I tried again recently and it was unplayable... And i'm not speaking about the graphics.
The game is bland, NPC's are acting like fully scripted zombies, your are continuously spammed by feast invitations, cavalry is dominating the battlefield etc...
Bannerlord still has to show its true potential... while warband is a finished game...
But yeah, time is running and we are still waiting for the banners, working siege towers, sally out missions, criminal empire, ...

At least in Warband the grindy elements could still be enjoyed because the combat mechanics were better optimized and armor>damage calc actually worked. It was simply fun to fight battles and play the game.

In Bannerlord they tried to implement a new leveling system and family dynasty mechanic, but as stated previously the new features are half-baked and don't function properly -leading more often to frustration rather than a smooth and enjoyable gameplay experience.

It needs to be called what it is: when it comes to Bannerlord's development, Taleworlds shot for the moon, but didn't land on the moon or even in the stars, they landed in Detroit.
But because bad implementation rather than reinventing the wheel, a remaster could fail anyway with those premises.
Armor they were silly: they could reuse their system or copy Kcd that is amazing since armor have 3 values and layers too.

You mean before Reforged, right?
Somewhat, yeah. But even after Reforged, it was a game where the people who like it really like it while everyone else is neutral to negative. Even Reforged sold/reviewed pretty badly, so if anyone was looking for an example of what to do from that example, they would have ignored VC.

Also by the time Reforged came out in mid 2015, Bannerlord was mostly "done". There were gameplay videos out not long after that which are mostly identical to what we have now. They were hardly going to rip up the entire game just to take a risk on making Bannerlord more like one of their (intially) most poorly recieved DLCs.

I doubt that a remastered Warband would please anyone. Warband's single-player strength was its full conversion mods. They created niche variants that catered for minority preferences. If TW implement features that some love and others hate they would undermine the base game and their market. Calradia has to be all-inclusive even at the risk of being bland in certain areas. Some hardcore fans are advocates of POP, Floris and Brytenwalda, which I've never played, having gravitated more to Perisno, TLD, WFaS and ACOK. We've all played and swiftly dropped Warband mods that didn't suit our tastes. Calradia needs to be a vanilla canvas. I for one am glad that feasts were dropped, having found them clumsy and tedious. Hopefully, once stable, optimised, balanced and feature complete, Bannerlord's upgrades in graphics, world-scale, battle-size and moddability will be sufficient as a foundation for niche variants.

Full conversion mods for Warband faced major dilemmas as everything had to be included or excluded. For example, some players refused to play mods that didn't incorporate Freelancer - a feature that I've never liked. With BL this is less of an issue as mods can be stacked (subject to compatibility), allowing players to customise their full conversion games.

Last edited:
I'm actually kind of shocked that people would rather have remastered games where they basically pay the current price of new games (£30-50) for an old game that just have a little bit of better graphics but no new mechanics/etc.

I know Bannerlord doesn't exactly fit this argument for new mechanics but at least there are some things new, but just look at Rockstar's "definitive" edition, and the endless Skyrim ports by Bethesda and the rumoured Fallout remastered. I honestly think that people who buy these remastered games ruins the money grabbing gaming industry further by enforcing the idea that those companies can just use their resources on making the old game's graphics 'better' instead of focusing on delivering the next series of their game.

Just take another look at Bethesda, Skyrim came out in 2011, the only thing we got for Elder Scroll 6 came out in 2018 (still better than Taleworlds, I know) and it was a 30sec clip of some terrain that could have passed off as Skyrim terrain, some music and just 'The Elder Scroll VI' at the end. 3years later and that was still the only thing that they've came up with for that game but 2 weeks ago they put out an Anniversary edition that people are still buying

I'm actually kind of shocked that people would rather have remastered games where they basically pay the current price of new games (£30-50) for an old game that just have a little bit of better graphics but no new mechanics/etc.
I bet you are one of those "remake" people that looks down on the "remastered" people.
Just take another look at Bethesda, Skyrim came out in 2011, the only thing we got for Elder Scroll 6 came out in 2018 (still better than Taleworlds, I know) and it was a 30sec clip of some terrain that could have passed off as Skyrim terrain, some music and just 'The Elder Scroll VI' at the end. 3years later and that was still the only thing that they've came up with for that game but 2 weeks ago they put out an Anniversary edition that people are still buying
They are working on Starfield, leave Todd alone!
That's how Armagan got his idea of switching to Mech and Blaster (aka. Fly and Zap on the Chinese market).
Armagan's life goal is to outdork Todd and we should feel privileged to watch this creative battle of giant dorks.

I bet you are one of those "remake" people that looks down on the "remastered" people.
I don't play a lot of variety of games, my steam only has 30 games and I only play 3 regularly. So I'm not really sure of what the difference between Remake and Remastered are, but I own the remastered Halo & AoE2 definitive and I enjoyed them. But I do dislike how people continuously support money grabbing tactics like that Bethesda has done with Skyrim

Last edited:
Somewhat, yeah. But even after Reforged, it was a game where the people who like it really like it while everyone else is neutral to negative. Even Reforged sold/reviewed pretty badly, so if anyone was looking for an example of what to do from that example, they would have ignored VC.
I mean isn't that all games or anything really?

I don't think all games are as polarizing as VC, no. There's really not a lot of middle ground with that game: you're either a superfan or you played it for awhile and never again.
I do think this is the fate of every game that's released in such an unfinished state, though. Lots of people are bound to hate a broken game, while a few will wade through the crap because they see something shining underneath. I've also noticed that the longer it takes to finish, some of the most supportive fans will become the biggest haters because they've experienced the crap for the longest.

edit: I didn't touch VC until the last Reforged patch was released. Coming at it with a fresh pair of eyes, the latest version is really good.

Last edited:
edit: I didn't touch VC until the last Reforged patch was released. Coming at it with a fresh pair of eyes, the latest version is really good.
That's how it should be, instead publishers pressure devs to release prematurely and gamers with more money than sense buy early access games because they need immediate gratification or something.

So, after a year or so I decided to get a cheap copy of Warband. It is hard if you come from BL. I am trying Floris Evolved and I can see why people were commenting on Warband's features. So, my question is: Why haven't they decided to just remaster what they had instead of adventuring in BL? Why not just a graphics overhaul and some additions such as those that are in Floris and similar?
God knows , I've given up on Bannerlord and am playing three different overhauls of Warband...and the're all way better games..except for graphics.:wink:

Bannerlord is set before warband, so no one has discovered anything yet, due to warband being in the future which also means that the civilisation is more advanced. For example, no books in the game, because no one knows how to read in Bannerlord. Bannerlord is a prehistoric game when compared to warband.
Oh i see so that is why women in this prehistoric game are equal to man and in the future they are kitchen wifes (literally the first thing that warband tell you when you create a new character is that playing as a woman is different than playing as a man.) But i guess we can use the lore of the game when its convenient for us right?

Or when the Sturgian army Destroyed the empire army in a shield wall battle (You can learn this if you speak with lords from Sturgia and ask them about it. The quest from the main game) meanwhile in the actually game Legionaries wipe the floor with them.

I can go on but i don't want to bother.

Back
Top Bottom