NPC too weak, up level too slow, skill point max capped

Users who are viewing this thread

so I understand the purpose for NPC is to filled the role of Doctor, Scout, Engineer, or QuaterMaster

HOWEVER, they are too weak, they barely kill any enemy in battles, only 1-2 enemy for each battles, that means they up level too slow
So if they can't level up fast, no skill points, and they got stuck with the skills max capped

For examples, my Scout NPC stuck at level 14 for 200+ days, because he barely kill anyone in battles, can't level up, no skill points to add to his skill Scouting
so his Max skill in Scouting is always 140, no matter how much we progress, it's Max capped

It's really frustrating, I let my NPC fight all the battles, they just can't level up,
Please do something to fix this.

NPCs need a combat xp multiplier which is very easy to implement. I even made a personal mod that does just that.
From my own testing i found that a 10x multiplier works best for melee weapons and 5x for ranged.
Also a 5x multiplier works best for simulated (auto resolve) battles since NPCs score more kills in simulated battles than real ones.

agree and with the new system to promote companions to have their own clans, I feel like I need to waste time to build up level to assign focus point to important stats like steward, scout and medicine so they aren't super weak to start. I wish if we promoted them to a clan they could get a couple free points so they aren't so weak

Here's what you do, buy and light Xbow and bolts, put it on the NPC, give them a horse if possible, put them with HA or archers and just let them fire into enemy formations, they get full raw exp for shoot'n and ride'n even with no points in these skills, then you can invest their FP in the skills for their role. This works for wanderers and family.

I feel like I need to waste time to build up level to assign focus point to important stats like steward, scout and medicine so they aren't super weak to start.
Nope, doesn't matter. flood the map with new clans. Every new clan is a good clan. Everyone is good enough, basically nothing matters enough to matter anyway, but filling the map with warm bodies will eventually over run the other factions. Keep in mind you get 2 extra clan members with them, who have stats comparable to npc lords. I suggest using ladies as much as possible as they will take away male lords from other clans (hopefully the enemies')

That said, there's 101 fixes and revamps needed for all things about skills, perks, attributes and how we get them. Making wanderer's both better stated, higher skilled, lower level and younger would be a big improvement. Really was should just have a build a bear for companions so we can get what we want and not have on ran-DUM stuff at all.

I was just about to suggest exactly the same thing. Give them a crossbow on a horse, stand them at the back. Crossbows on horse are great levellers. Give them a glaive just in case some lucky sod gets close to them.

The other thing that might level them up reasonably OK is trade caravans... Caravans have improved recently it seems, and trade levels really quickly now days so will probably drag their overall level up... much quicker than in a party. But that's just a guess. They'll run about the map... gathering scouting and fighting perks passively, while earning you money, so that by the time you might want to give them some land, their trade skill should help with management at a guess, and either way, they've levelled up and paid you for the privilege.

I was just about to suggest exactly the same thing. Give them a crossbow on a horse, stand them at the back. Crossbows on horse are great levellers. Give them a glaive just in case some lucky sod gets close to them.

The other thing that might level them up reasonably OK is trade caravans... Caravans have improved recently it seems, and trade levels really quickly now days so will probably drag their overall level up... much quicker than in a party. But that's just a guess. They'll run about the map... gathering scouting and fighting perks passively, while earning you money, so that by the time you might want to give them some land, their trade skill should help with management at a guess, and either way, they've levelled up and paid you for the privilege.
thanks I will try

They just plain need to fix horses and the tournaments, then I’ll cement an opinion. But in general, I don’t think companions should have 10x the experience as suggested. Instead there should be better training methods, including allowing them to participate in the general arena like you can, and settings for “what your companions are doing” when waiting in towns

Last edited:
Warband had an xp multiplier for companions -don't know why Bannerlord decided to move away from this.

Don't know why Bannerlord decided to move away from a lot of things that made Warband work....

NPCs need a combat xp multiplier which is very easy to implement. I even made a personal mod that does just that.
From my own testing i found that a 10x multiplier works best for melee weapons and 5x for ranged.
Also a 5x multiplier works best for simulated (auto resolve) battles since NPCs score more kills in simulated battles than real ones.
Can you pls share your mod if it works for 1.6.5? I could really need that atm. :smile:

Warband had an xp multiplier for companions -don't know why Bannerlord decided to move away from this.

Don't know why Bannerlord decided to move away from a lot of things that made Warband work....
They also function totally differently from how your soldiers did, do and how your companions did, and with few equipment restrictions, can be kitted fairly high end immediately if desired.

The entire leveling system was overhauled so this is the cleanest “why did they change xxxxx” comparison because nothing about experience and leveling was really retained.

Back
Top Bottom