Real-Life DLC or Expansion: Michael the Brave

Users who are viewing this thread

If there are some admins from Romania on here, they should give you 1 BAN for necroing this useless thread @Akfiz.

s-l300.jpg

Furthermore, only Romanians are worthy enough to make a game about the greatest warlord of all time (K/D 7!) who happens to be Romanian too. And I'm not talking about Ceausescu or Ion Antonescu who also must be in the top ten for objective reasons.

Furthermore, only Romanians are worthy enough to make a game about the greatest warlord of all time (K/D 7!) who happens to be Romanian too. And I'm not talking about Ceausescu or Ion Antonescu who also must be in the top ten for objective reasons.
Wikipedia gives Stephen the Great top spot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Romanians
Unfortunately, I'd never heard of him before either. Clearly, we're insular and ignorant in the UK. Anyway, I enjoyed reading about Michael the Brave, who I'd never heard off, and I haven't googled who John Hunyadi is. Over here only Dracula or Vlad the Impaler is remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Nice necro.

I am really curious about the mental process that brings someone to write a book in this thread, four months later. Maybe it took that long to write that post? ?
Yes, that is the same thing which came to my mind.

Since the original poster proclaimed me the spokeperson of TW forum users, I hereby label this thread as useless on behalf of the populace. Disperse, people, and let it die in peace.

Every one from every corner of the world wants a mod/dlc/game about their "nation builders". It's been a long time since I have wanted a game or mod or dlc about Tamerlane, Mukhammad Shaibani, Babur, Abdulla Khan II.
Should I make a long post and argue with people? No.
It's the developers or modders' decision that ultimately matters. As a history nerd, I appreciate playing them and in the end, I prefer historical video games than recent films, tv shows and talk shows full of nationalistic propagandas.

@Akfiz, I have a deal for you. I will make a modification revolving around Michael the Brave, so that he earns his share in the world of M&B players. Agree? The only thing is that the mod will be for Warband. I promise I will make it if you want (or anyone else wants).

@Akfiz, I have a deal for you. I will make a modification revolving around Michael the Brave, so that he earns his share in the world of M&B players. Agree? The only thing is that the mod will be for Warband. I promise I will make it if you want (or anyone else wants).
You'll just rename Harlaus to Michael the Brave, won't you? :grin:
The time for Warband mods is way past over, but it's the right time to start a Bannerlord mod with OP as a researcher/writer.

Modding demands a lot of time and effort, so I agree that actions outweigh ideas. However, we all had to start with an idea for inspiration and mockery isn't any way to encourage someone to take the leap from theory to practice.
As far as mockery goes, this was not poor effort. In fact it encourages learning to mod by showing how easy it is to do basic things.

No, Romanians are not allowed to make any suggestions about anything, they are too Romanian for that. It's only a display of arrogance when a small country does it. If a similar suggestion would have been made for someone from US, UK or France, that would be another story.

And Michael the Brave wasn't even a great general. He only had like what, 9 major victories while being outnumbered in all of them? Every self-respecting general does that. The battle of Calugareni where he won with 15.000 troops against 100.000 ? Yeah, sounds nice, but you see, he's Romanian, he clearly can't be that great.

Military achievements don't matter, you can't be a great general if you come from Romania. And who would want to play a campaign where you are outnumbered all the time?

Modding demands a lot of time and effort, so I agree that actions outweigh ideas. However, we all had to start with an idea for inspiration and mockery isn't any way to encourage someone to take the leap from theory to practice.
You seriously thought Veledentella and MadVader have the slighest intention of being helpful? If anything, his mod has more content than I originally expected.

Every one from every corner of the world wants a mod/dlc/game about their "nation builders". It's been a long time since I have wanted a game or mod or dlc about Tamerlane, Mukhammad Shaibani, Babur, Abdulla Khan II.
Exactly my point. But according to Veledentella and MadVader that's a crime. Merely trying to boosting your nation's worthless pride, so sit down you nationalist extremist. Pfft, posting a suggestion about your historical figure? you're one step away from becoming a fascist.

Apologies in advance if you're from one of the big and popular countries that totally deserve it. It's not nationalism in that case, it's just how things are.
Should I make a long post and argue with people? No.
It's the developers or modders' decision that ultimately matters. As a history nerd, I appreciate playing them and in the end, I prefer historical video games than recent films, tv shows and talk shows full of nationalistic propagandas.
But how do you make the developers and modders aware of that? by making a post about it.

Personally, I don't know anything about Tamerlane, Mukhammad Shaibani, Babur, Abdulla Khan II. So if you'd made a post about them, it would be great to give as much information as possible about them.

My post was off with nationalistic propagandas, there were some communist-era movies about Michael the Brave where he would be a self-sacrificing hero seeking to liberate the Romanains from Transylvania, when in fact, when he conquered it he secured the support of the Hungarian nobles, who betrayed him later but that's another story, he did extend the Wallachian Orthodox Church to Transylvania which has angered the Catholics in Transylvania (Hungarian & German, even some of those who originally joined him), but he also brought some nobles from Transylvania to Wallachia seeing to incorporate Transylvania's much more advanced feudal system in Wallachia.

And the parts about him where he basically went to the Austrian Emperor Rudolph II, who he had recently just fought, and just waited there until Rudolph II had need of him. Or that in his final moments he actually tried to go for Alba-Iulia to become quote "King of Transylvania" again, which caused Georgio Basta to order his assassination, not gonna see that in those movies. As you can see from the original post, the sources I used aren't even Romanian for that exact reason.

But even without that propaganda embellishment, his story is pretty "against all odds" at all turns, not only militarily but also politically. Which is why I think would make a good campaign.

However, this will not discourage ignorants from calling it "nationalistic propaganda" because "what else would it be?" with no clear reason except their gut feeling because "it couldn't have happened in Romania so it must be propaganda", their gut feeling being a product of their prejudice.

I personally have no arguement against people from Romania and the country itself. I am sure others feel the same too.
I am very interested in the country's history, in fact and i am very astonished of their successes against foriegn rules that includes Ottomans, Poland etc. The region, Balkans itself has some great history, and i never compare it to other European or Asian countries including mine. The story is very unique and a bit tragic too.
But,that's video games we are talking about and their main aim is entertainment not some deeply serious historically nerd stuff. Even they claim they are inspired by real life and people, they mainly try to achieve fun, a bit of less violence compared to what happened actually and mend your minds when we get bored ot tired...
What if they think, Romance od the three kingdoms is the next setting? I say sure, as long as the game is fun and keeps from being bored. And I am a fan of Three Kingdoms period too, i read a lot of books about it.
As for "nationalistic propaganda" term, i am sorry if i offended you but that's pretty much real nowadays. Even my country has lots of it. They serve no purpose other than make us feel offended of our brotherly nations and continue "divide and conquer" policy.

Last edited:
I personally have no arguement against people from Romania and the country itself. I am sure others feel the same too.
I am very interested in the country's history, in fact and i am very astonished of their successes against foriegn rules that includes Ottomans, Poland etc. The region, Balkans itself has some great history, and i never compare it to other European or Asian countries including mine. The story is very unique and a bit tragic too.
But,that's video games we are talking about and their main aim is entertainment not some deeply serious historically nerd stuff. Even they claim they are inspired by real life and people, they mainly try to achieve fun, a bit of less violence compared to what happened actually and mend your minds when we get bored ot tired...
What if they think, Romance od the three kingdoms is the next setting? I say sure, as long as the game is fun and keeps from being bored.
I'm not so sure about 2 others.

I'm not trying to turn this into a historical novel either, but I thought I needed to give a lot of information about Michael the Brave to explain why it would be fun for him to be added in the game, and to be accurately portrayed in case he is indeed added.

As for the gameplay part. His storyline would involve a lot of war and a lot of sieges. Which I think it would be the focus of the campaign and quite entertaining.

If you want to take the historical path:

ACT 1.
- You start out as the Prince of Wallachia, join the Holy Leauge against the Ottoman Empire in 1954. (Austria, Transylvania, Moldavia, Wallachia vs Ottoman Empire). So things start pretty optimistic, the "you can't lose" kind of thing. (it was then that Michael the Brave came close to Constantinople [waiting for Veledentella and MadVader to call this propaganda], but was forced to retreat due to lack of supplies and the Ottomans counter-attacked in force)
*gameplay-wise: a lot of battles and castles given/taken between Wallachians and Ottomans in Bulgaria; eventually the Ottoman army gets stronger and stronger and he's pushed back*

- Then eventually, Transylvania (Sigismund Bathory) and Moldavia (Stefan Razvan) come with reinforcements. The 3 combied armies basically rekt the Ottoman advance in Wallachia.
- But shortly after, Austria and Transylvania negociate a truce with the Ottoman Empire and Stefan Razvan is replaced by Ieremia Movila who becomes an Ottoman vassal. So Michael the Brave suddenly finds himself alone against the Ottomans.
- He chooses to make peace gaing favorable terms, being allowed to keep the fortifications on the Danube.
*a lot of battles and castles given/taken between the Wallachians and Ottoman Empire in this period*

ACT 2.
- Transylvania (now Andreas Barothy) wants to put a pretender in Wallachia (Simion Movila), making a deal with the Ottoman Empire.
- In exchange, Michael the Brave makes a deal with Austrian Emperor Rudolph II, so that he becomes governor of Transylvania in his name, being in his interest as Andreas Barothy swore featlhy to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
* war between Wallachia & Transylvania*

- Michael the Brave wins Transylvania. The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth proposes that Michael the Brave would be a vassal of the Austrian Empire and Polish-Lithuanian in exchange for the Moldavian crown and recognition of himself and his heirs over the Carpathian Principalities. (essentially giving him all 3 principalities but as a vassal of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth)
- Michael the Brave refuses and attacks Moldavia.
* war between Wallachia (now with Transylvania incorporated) & Moldavia*

- Michael the Brave wins but Ieremia Movila escapes (he'll be back).
*ACT 2 completed, Michael the Brave becomes de facto ruler over all 3 Romanian principalities as an independent nation*

ACT 3.
- Although Michael the Brave still refered to himself as vassal of Emperor Rudolph II, he still refered to himself as "King of Transylvania and Wallachia" and began to negociate his position in Transylvania with Emperor Rudolph II, he wanted to be direct ruler of Transylvania instead of governor in Emperor Rudolph II's name, and equally claimed the Partium / Crisana region as rightful part of Transylvana. This angers the Austrian Emperor.
* eventually, the Polish attack in Moldavia and the Austrians in Transylvania*
* Hungarian nobles revolt against him in Transylvania*

- Michael the Brave loses and retreats to Wallachia where he loses some more.
* The Polish don't stop at Moldavia and attack Wallachia as well*

- Michael the Brave leaves for Vienna to negociate with Emperor Rudolph II. The Emperor eventually gives him money to make an army of mercenaries and retake Transylvania, for the Hungarian nobles also revolted against him.
* Michael the Brave fights and defeats the Hungarian nobles in Transylvania*

Meanwhile: Michael the Brave's son, Nicolae Patrascu, retook control of Wallachia from the Polish and went with the army to support him in Transylvania.

- Michael the Brave makes the decision to split from the forces of Italian-born general Georgio Basta and head for Transylvania to become "King of Transylvania" again.
- Emperor Rudolph II gives order to Georgio Basta to hire some of the mercenaries from Michael the Brave's camp to do it.
* It could lead to a last stand kind of mission where you eventually die anyway, or may avoid assassination; in the latter case, with reinforcements from your son, you can make a new effort to reconquer Transylvania and Moldavia*

- Michael the Brave dies, the end.

Anyway, evereything is in the original post, this is just an idea of how a lot of things from there can be implemented in the game. The reason why I think it would be fun it's because it has a lot of territorial changes and battles going on in a short amount of time.

Now, a lot of alt-history stuff can happen, and in fact I'm counting on that, it would be more fun to do alternative stuff and see what happens, rather than follow Michael the Brave step by step.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom