Constant Warfare in Late Game - Unplayable

Users who are viewing this thread

volovos

Recruit
Late game is too grindy and unplayable.
AI is constantly at war and there's absolutely no incentive to go and defeat enemy armies because of the way AI calculates peace declarations, the more armies you defeat the longer the war draws out.
Defeating multiple armies is also pointless since any decently-sized enemy faction will quickly rebound and come back with 1k+ armies in no time.
It's just constant battles, constant siege breaking, constant back and forth sieging of towns. Don't even get me started on multiple front wars. This is too grindy and it's not fun. The early-mid game as a mercenary or as a new lord is somewhat fun but it only gets more and more grindy from there. You can't even do quests or go back to your territories to recruit troops since allied AI armies will get wiped out or some bordering town/castle will get autosieged (For some reason enemy AI armies autosiege cities in my campaign with 0 troops loss).

+1 late game grind needs to be addressed but I've always thought that it's more related to do with the AI only being capable of constant war, what else can it do? There's no feasts, no large tournaments for lords to gather, they ignore bandit camps and are only focused on joining an army and going to war. The lords themselves need something outside of warfare, whether its tax collection issues, petty disputes/wanting to duel rivals or even if they'd wanna attended their hard earn fiefs.

I'd never expect Crusader Kings level of activities/interactions for the AI but there should be something or even maybe a slow down of wars / better diplomacy who knows but as you said the way AI calculates peace is certainly frustrating as of now and it's stumbles from an adventure into grindy wars that you can't stop unless you fully conquer them. and then repeat.

If you could defeat factions it would help also, but if you take all their fifes they still exist and the more times you beat them the less likely they are to join your faction. Plus you have no time to go recruiting anyways and they don't come to you.

If your lords a too powerful they do not create armies.
They only create armies when an enemy can defeat them.

And they do not besiege any settlement, if they have too much power, only when they will get defeated.

All works in the player faction is up to the player, because the NPCs does nothing.

Late game is too grindy and unplayable.
AI is constantly at war and there's absolutely no incentive to go and defeat enemy armies because of the way AI calculates peace declarations, the more armies you defeat the longer the war draws out.
Defeating multiple armies is also pointless since any decently-sized enemy faction will quickly rebound and come back with 1k+ armies in no time.
It's just constant battles, constant siege breaking, constant back and forth sieging of towns. Don't even get me started on multiple front wars. This is too grindy and it's not fun. The early-mid game as a mercenary or as a new lord is somewhat fun but it only gets more and more grindy from there. You can't even do quests or go back to your territories to recruit troops since allied AI armies will get wiped out or some bordering town/castle will get autosieged (For some reason enemy AI armies autosiege cities in my campaign with 0 troops loss).
I absolutely agree.

All I want is for them to NOT declare peace and let out 40+ prisoners, who then rapidly re-build parties and declare war again in 5-7 days.
I get making them stupid so they can't snowball "oh boy we have an advantage, lets let everyone go and get payed a nickel a day for 5 days yay!"
but why should the player want or accept stupid vassals AI?

that;s becaues people for years have been complaining about the snowballing of the game....
Fxxking retarded if you ask me.

the player is supposed to snowball the map and win the game!!!! if you remove snowball mechanics it will be a job just to play.

Right now, the early game isn't bad. I have breaks between wars. I can do tasks/quests. I can get the wife pregnant. When warring its usually only one kingdom at a time. Mid-game isn't too bad, I might have to fight 2 kingdoms at a time sometimes, but not constantly. I'm usually warring, but there are breaks. Once I start to get to where I control 35-40% of the map though it averages 2-3 kingdoms being fought at a time, sometimes more. There are NEVER breaks between wars.

Honestly, when people say late game sucks I'm not even sure I should give feedback. I think I've only had 1 game where I got substantially farther than 50% of the map without giving up. That one got about 75% of the map before i gave up. (That was probably over a year ago) So maybe things are even worse once you get control of about 80% of the map or something. I couldn't tell you.

that;s becaues people for years have been complaining about the snowballing of the game....

the player is supposed to snowball the map and win the game!!!! if you remove snowball mechanics it will be a job just to play.

I rarely aim to conquer the map, its pretty tedious even on warband, the first time I actually made the effort I did it just because I was waiting for Bannerlords ea to release.

One of my favourite things about this series is that the player isn't meant to do anything, you're just another lord/pleb and you can do what you want so no, I disagree the player isnt meant to snowball the map and "win"

Last edited:
I rarely aim to conquer the map
Same here, too tedious and removes a lot of flavor that I enjoy from this game, and Warband as well. My biggest complaint is that there aren't enough independent realms to keep things interesting (Would've personally liked at least two kingdoms in the Nahasa Desert). I know some mods add or change that, but I hope they improve mechanics for clans to carve out their own unique realms.

Not sure this is the direction a lot of M&B fans would like to see the game take, but I personally think it could benefit from taking a few pages out of Crusader Kings book, with flavor events and holding court, feasts, etc. Something else to invest alot of time and money in besides painting Calradia with your kingdom color.

I rarely aim to conquer the map, its pretty tedious even on warband, the first time I actually made the effort I did it just because I was waiting for Bannerlords ea to release.

One of my favourite things about this series is that the player isn't meant to do anything, you're just another lord/pleb and you can do what you want so no, I disagree the player isnt mean to snowball the map and "win"
Agreed. In warband I am sure I have stopped more games shortly after becoming lord than I have continued. Always enjoyed the smaller scale build up/early stage of the game.

I hope they add the Kingdom requesting Peace has to be unable to declare war for XX days like was in Warband.

I think that would solve some of the late game constant war issues.

I always aim to conquer the map...and then give up when I can't. I like a challenge, but I like a challenge I can win being me. I like grand campaign style games. I love Viking Conquest because of the play style, the flavor of it & because although it may take a while, its a game I can win playing as someone reasonably honorable, intelligent, and calculating. I can win it as a war game. Same with Native Warband. Others may raid villages, but I avoid raiding villages (because, while it may prevent the opponent from recruiting there, I consider it dishonorable to pick on helpless villagers just struggling to survive) and I can still win without pillaging villages. In Bannerlord I feel the only way I can win is to play a homicidal maniac who executes all the lords. I've heard you can also basically play a diplomacy game and win, but while I enjoy some diplomacy in a war game, I don't want to play a diplomacy game.

The game is supposed to go on forever so that the heir system has a purpose. I like that they've made it hard to conquer the whole map, it is still possible, just hard. I would perhaps have liked it better if they had chosen another way to make it hard rather than replenish lords fast.

Back
Top Bottom