Which culture is most in need of armor/clothing model variety?

Which cultures need more armor/clothing variety? (You can pick two.)

• Aserai

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • Battania

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Empire

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • Khuzait

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Sturgia

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Vlandia

Votes: 64 53.8%
  • None; the existing variety is good enough

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

All of them, but I voted Vlandia because although they reside in a relatively large geographical area (from North to South) - they all look similar. The northern parts should look like a Nordic faction, whereas the southern half should look like a Mediterranean European faction.

The Aserai look alike, but that makes more sense because they are "East to West" and concentrated close to the Equator of the planet Calradia is located on. The Sturgians are like that too.

Battania doesn't occupy a large disttribution from North to South and could be described as "northern temperate". I guess the argument could be made for the Khuzaits and the Empire as well to a degree too.

Vlandia needs some additions. With the time period that seems to be portrayed 12th century knights. It would make sense to include ailets (Metal or hardened leather rectangles that protected the shoulders and also displayed your device/heraldry.

Vlandia seems to suffer on armor some anyways and adding ailet would improve the look/historical feel of the faction and help the champion tree have a little more survivability

Empire factions should have some more variety. Similar to the east/west Roman empire who had some differences in gear and clothing style to suit local climates.

Western should be a little more cavalry focused and have more chainmail etc. Northern have some cross over with sturgian styles and the southern incorporate some aserai styling.

I wouldn't change the troop tree a whole lot, although some special focus for each faction would make some sense. Say Western champion tree are Lancers, southern horse archers, Northern footmen/hvy assault troops.

Or just tweak the regular troop tree to slightly reflect the cultural proximityof the empires to the environment/neighborhood regions

Here's some potential for diversifying the Vlandian aesthetic.

Vlandia Head: Painted Visored Helmet. A version of Visored Helmet over Laced Coif, which is painted in faction colour, for added visual variety.
Vlandia Head: Painted Pointed Skullcap. A version of Pointed Skullcap with Mail, which is painted in faction colour, for added visual variety.
2ILSW3P.jpg

Vlandia Shoulder: Mail Mantle. Similar to Mail Shoulder Guard, but symmetrical, and needs to have a mail texture that matches the Vlandian Mail Hauberk items, as the existing mail shoulder guard looks very different. For added visual diversity (and to make it clearer that it is being worn), could have a leather hem around the outside, like the Mail Shoulder Reinforcements does.
ITVxmyb.jpg

Vlandia Shoulder: Long Cloak. Some form of long cloak/cape. Could come off the shoulders, like in the fourth image below, to avoid clipping issues. Could look like pretty much anything- perhaps it could have a cloak pin or ermine fur trim, or be asymmetrical - so long as it looks distinctly Vlandian.
cUlZiWY.jpg

some more examples of why cloaks are important to this aesthetic:
5342225885c0f64c83b70bc91a247ff9.jpg

Vlandia Torso: Quilted Mail Tabard. A noble long mail hauberk underneath a patterned quilt, with overlapping triangles in faction colour+another colour, which adds visual variety.

Tmp6gEg.png

Vlandia Torso: Luxury Mail Tabard. A noble tabard, with additional jewelry pieces, and decoration on the fabric's hem and sleeves as you can kind of notice on William the Conqueror's hauberk sleeves/hem on the Bayeux Tapestry.
J2tYFDf.jpg

And for the Sturgians, a Kievan Rus' style Decorated Kite Shield. So basically, just a reskin of one of the existing kite shield models, with Kievan-style patterns around the edge.
Zkq1cQJ.jpg

Last edited:

Vlandia Head: Painted Visored Helmet. A version of Visored Helmet over Laced Coif, which is painted in faction colour, for added visual variety.
Vlandia Head: Painted Pointed Skullcap. A version of Pointed Skullcap with Mail, which is painted in faction colour, for added visual variety.
2ILSW3P.jpg

Vlandia Shoulder: Mail Mantle. Similar to Mail Shoulder Guard, but symmetrical, and needs to have a mail texture that matches the Vlandian Mail Hauberk items, as the existing mail shoulder guard looks very different. For added visual diversity (and to make it clearer that it is being worn), could have a leather hem around the outside, like the Mail Shoulder Reinforcements does.
ITVxmyb.jpg

Vlandia Shoulder: Long Cloak. Some form of long cloak/cape. Could come off the shoulders, like in the fourth image below, to avoid clipping issues. Could look like pretty much anything- perhaps it could have a cloak pin or ermine fur trim, or be asymmetrical - so long as it looks distinctly Vlandian.
cUlZiWY.jpg

Vlandia Torso: Quilted Mail Tabard. A noble long mail hauberk underneath a patterned quilt, with overlapping triangles in faction colour+another colour, which adds visual variety. Could also have added blunt defense!

Tmp6gEg.png

Vlandia Torso: Luxury Mail Tabard. A noble tabard, with additional jewelry pieces, and decoration on the fabric's hem and sleeves as you can kind of notice on William the Conqueror's hauberk sleeves/hem on the Bayeux Tapestry.
J2tYFDf.jpg

And for the Sturgians, a Kievan Rus' style Decorated Kite Shield. So basically, just a reskin of one of the existing kite shield models, with Kievan-style patterns around the edge.
Zkq1cQJ.jpg
very nice examples!

2ILSW3P.jpg

ITVxmyb.jpg

cUlZiWY.jpg

Vlandia Torso: Quilted Mail Tabard. A noble long mail hauberk underneath a patterned quilt, with overlapping triangles in faction colour+another colour, which adds visual variety. Could also have added blunt defense!

Tmp6gEg.png

J2tYFDf.jpg

Zkq1cQJ.jpg

Damn, if Bannerlord had half of this sort of thing, it'd be great. The quilted tabards especially, love it! Thank you for the examples, hopefully TW takes this into consideration and if not them, a determined modder.

2ILSW3P.jpg

ITVxmyb.jpg

cUlZiWY.jpg

Tmp6gEg.png

J2tYFDf.jpg

Zkq1cQJ.jpg
Impressive, your posts are always a good read ? hope some of this makes it

All of them need a complete rework, In the name of Jerusalem 2 makes you realise just how ****ing goofy and cartoonish vanilla armours are
2021-07-02_01.png

5b19a5c37a44358d04be9bd14eee5b09.jpg

WHO APPROVED THIS AESTHETIC YOU'RE A CLOWN

All of them need a complete rework, In the name of Jerusalem 2 makes you realise just how ****ing goofy and cartoonish vanilla armours are
2021-07-02_01.png

WHO APPROVED THIS AESTHETIC YOU'RE A CLOWN

This is part of the reason I'm so excited for the mod, and the Brytenwalda mod. The historically accurate and non-goofy looking armor.

Yep, it's crazy how much difference a good design makes, Who knows what tw's were thinking
I think they were appeasing a more fantasied look of what medieval or older eras were, rather than pure historical reference. Their excuse for that could be that this is not our work, and I agree that grants them room of course, but it doesn't work at all. If they had gone with more historical or non-fantasy looking designs from the start, I doubt most people would complain about it. At all. I'm still holding out hope they change it or add far better non-goofy stuff, but I could be holding my breath on that until I die.

I think they were appeasing a more fantasied look of what medieval or older eras were, rather than pure historical reference. Their excuse for that could be that this is not our work, and I agree that grants them room of course, but it doesn't work at all. If they had gone with more historical or non-fantasy looking designs from the start, I doubt most people would complain about it. At all. I'm still holding out hope they change it or add far better non-goofy stuff, but I could be holding my breath on that until I die.
Doubt they will to be honest, they seem pretty set on pretty simplistic designs

Single colour banners, faction coloured armours, uniformed armours. It all comes down to this being able to distinguish your own troops bull****

designed for casuals and kids, i tell you

Doubt they will to be honest, they seem pretty set on pretty simplistic designs

Single colour banners, faction coloured armours, uniformed armours. It all comes down to this being able to distinguish your own troops bull****

designed for casuals and kids, i tell you
Oh give me a damn break.

Wanting to know whose troops are who easily isn’t a “casual” want. Not having to play with “circles over the head” are appreciated when colors are consolidated.

And the streams where I saw a person asking for more variety had a character with literal clown make-up on, so let’s not play like it’s just a bunch of immature kids that a different preference then you. A game still needs to be playable and approachable and having two sides of a battlefield look the same, or having magical floating banners to differentiate each sides troops doesn’t exactly create a sense of realism anyway.

Oh give me a damn break.

Wanting to know whose troops are who easily isn’t a “casual” want. Not having to play with “circles over the head” are appreciated when colors are consolidated.

And the streams where I saw a person asking for more variety had a character with literal clown make-up on, so let’s not play like it’s just a bunch of immature kids that a different preference then you. A game still needs to be playable and approachable and having two sides of a battlefield look the same, or having magical floating banners to differentiate each sides troops doesn’t exactly create a sense of realism anyway.

You can easily distinguish troops without making it painfully boring, repeating and distracting. You would defend anything though....

You can easily distinguish troops without making it painfully boring, repeating and distracting. You would defend anything though....
All I’ve seen you do is say anything and everything about the game is terrible. It’s less me defending anything and just understanding what’s being done. There are plenty of people who just want change for change sake, or claim that it’s better for the game just based on it being a preference.

It’s interesting that many of the folks who want to overhaul lots about the game also play with dozens of mods. It’s doesn’t matter what the game does and is, those folks will mod it anyway

It’s interesting that many of the folks who want to overhaul lots about the game also play with dozens of mods. It’s doesn’t matter what the game does and is, those folks will mod it anyway
Because the mods do overhaul the game to make it better but of course we want the good stuff in the vanilla game :iamamoron:

All I’ve seen you do is say anything and everything about the game is terrible. It’s less me defending anything and just understanding what’s being done. There are plenty of people who just want change for change sake, or claim that it’s better for the game just based on it being a preference.

That's probably because a lot of the game is terrible. I've just not blinded myself to that fact, that's all. Though I do find a lot of what BL has done to be good, you don't want to hear that though, it will contrast with your idea of who I am.

And it's definitely you defending anything wrong with the game by immediately excusing why it is what it is for x reason. Case in point, you defending the very terribly presented culture in game and the horrible use of color.

That should tell you something about the state of the game, shouldn't it? If people are trying to find fun outside of the game, there's something wrong. Though I of course find the assertion that they won't be pleased no matter what inaccurate and entirely dismissive.

I think they were appeasing a more fantasied look of what medieval or older eras were, rather than pure historical reference.

They were initially insistent on using proper historical references, but at some point they just got sloppy. The 3D artists in the Art blog back in 2017 or thereabouts said that they didn't get given any references at all, and just winged it based on TV shows and video games they had played or watched, while I know for a fact that prior to that they had been using references. The reason I think they just got sloppy is because all the flavour text for factions still says what they're supposed to be based on. This is also why the quality and design of different outfits varies so much.

In warband I never had to play with circles above heads, while in Bannerlord I have to do it all the time, despite the colour uniformity. The problem is that the outfits are poorly designed. There is usually a patch of colour on the chest if you're lucky, but the rest is all brown. I can't quickly distinguish between an Empire outfit and a Khuzait one. Look at any screenshot and the overwhelming majority of a soldier's silhouette is brown. There is no distinct helmet shape I can look out for. The lighting doesn't help either.

bannerlord-2-1024x576.jpg

gm-559fdc8a-cc4e-476f-a8aa-dd725c95a8c2-mount-blade-2-bannerlord-skirmish.jpg

Compare that to Warband where the outfits are all designed more or less cohesively.
Nords = chainmail
Vaegirs = Fur
Khergits = lamellar
Sarranids = Beige linen

Despite there being much fewer actual colours on an average outfit in warband, and the total lack of factional colours overall, I don't have to find their colour patch to know what faction they are in.

ss_1cacf74a86f893b485b276d3ae1ead43a777b17d.1920x1080.jpg

mnb-506a7.jpg

They were initially insistent on using proper historical references, but at some point they just got sloppy. The 3D artists in the Art blog back in 2017 or thereabouts said that they didn't get given any references at all, and just winged it based on TV shows and video games they had played or watched, while I know for a fact that prior to that they had been using references. The reason I think they just got sloppy is because all the flavour text for factions still says what they're supposed to be based on. This is also why the quality and design of different outfits varies so much.

I did not know that. That would definitely explain why some of the older armor looks so much better, and not so "fantasy flashy". I wonder why they couldn't get any references though. Budget reasons? Or maybe conflicting ideas from higher ups? It's curious how they went from the start to here, especially since in Warband, this (distinguishing factions) wasn't really an issue at all.

Back
Top Bottom