Iron Chieftain: Simulated RTS and Citybuilder

Users who are viewing this thread

Looks very cool.

I searched in the videos/thread but didn't see any video about unit combat. Are you planning to make it combat-per-agent or are you planning to have something similar to Total War's blob-fight? Asking this because both of these approaches have pros and cons in terms of aesthetic and CPU load. And since you are aiming for large crowds and citizens etc, in long-run when towns expanded, players might experience huge FPS drops because of the agent count on the scene or in battles.

I'm making it kind of a mixture. I don't plan to have weapon-to-limb collision or anything like that, partially because single combat isn't really the focus of the game, and also because I'm doing all the collision agnostic from whatever animations are happening on screen. All the movement and everything is handled with a very small amount of per-agent data and relatively simple functions, and the models only spawn in when characters are on screen.

I've done some tests of my own and the code itself isn't anywhere close to being the bottleneck. I can have tens of thousands of agents moving at once without performance being a problem. The real issue is the skeletal meshes which are fairly inefficient in unreal engine, and I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how to merge meshes and also have morph targets (for different body shapes), but I encountered so many problems that I don't think it's possible (the feature itself is advertised on the Unreal Engine website but the code they provide is completely bugged).

However I haven't even thought about doing an optimisation pass yet. I can currently have about 1000 agents on screen without any performance issues. I plan to replace distant agents with static impostors like in total war.

Honestly these are great.

I'm living in Spain now and today I visited an old Iberian ruin from 200 bce, some of the reconstructed houses reminded me a lot of the ones I've seen in pictures here before :smile:

unknown.png

Back
Top Bottom