SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Advanced party management options.

Users who are viewing this thread

It is notorious for every player how little ability to manage your clan's parties and how unhelpful they end up being because of that: they give good troops to garrisons, they recruit weak soldiers, they join armies that do nothing, etc.

In the clan window, in the parties section, when selecting the party of a family member we should have the following functions:
-allow or not to donate troops
-change the option from maximum allowed number of denars to allowed number of troops *
-configure the minimum or maximum level of the soldiers you want them to recruit *
-to allow or not to join armies
-configure if you want your party to be soldiers of a specific nation.
-configure a patrol job in a specific area.

With these options we could get more out of these parties, be able to assign them to patronize our properties while we go to war, be able to configure a specific quantity and quality of soldiers either for better mobility on the map or combat force, nothing to me I would be happier to have a good patrol of 50 soldiers clearing one of my cities of looters so that the villagers can travel freely. It would even allow us to configure to patrol allied areas that are with security problems or threatened by enemy looting. Also, be sure that when we call them to form an army, they will not show up with a crap of low-level soldiers. Right now, extra parties are more of an expense to the family bank account than something useful.

* These two options should also be allowed to configure in the garnishes of your properties. There is no use having a garrison with 100 recruits who do not generate any security and eat all the food.

extra ideas:

-Each designated patrol increases the security of the assigned city / castle +1

-A patrol assigned to an allied city or castle has the chance to increase relations with the notables of the area as well as with the property owner.

+1

How I think Main Patruls- feature should work

A patrul- function is essentional. Not only for player but also for AI. But there is a big problem with it and it´s the number of lords available after some deaths etc. If AI utilize lords and parties-spots to protect their fiefs there are few left to wage war!

I think patruls should be something the owner of a fief initiates from the fief management screen. It spawns "manhunter"- parties protecting it´s demesne. It´s upkeep is a "Daily Militia" malus and a low maintenance cost. From the fief management screen, player can set how big these parties is. Manhunters counts as militia and count towards "Retires"- malus + an extra -1 "Manhunters" towards militia-growth.

Manhunters has similar but opposite to bandit- behavior. They has their own troop-trees(T2-T4), not very unlike caravan-troops for speed. They are listed as manhunter/patrul-parties. The player can assign the governor to lead these parties if he wants to(of cause with the risk of beeing captives). Othervice they are led by a T5 Sherif, simelar to "Caravanleaders" or "Bandit boss" - semi-characters. They excell when interfeering in battles villigeras and caravans are defending part in. They can't destroy hideouts. They priorities bandits over enemy factionmembers but does not heisitate to join a village milita during raid if they see a good chanse to win. THey can't take non-troop prisoners och don't loot.

A big bonus if player can invest in these parties, above default quality which is based on security and quantity from prosperity, as a way to get also weak holdings on the foot again.

If such party is destroyed, no new patrul can be dispatched for a week. During this week, the holding has another -1 to militia growth.

Reagarding party- options

The party-options for player secondary parties should be:

- In the service of the faction(Available fot armies. Othervice their own agendas, normal AI lord behavior. IE as today). Default. AI EXCLUSIVELY use this. Grants some influence/day even if not in an army.
- In the service of the clan(Like above, but only available for armies of your clan).
- Patrulling demesne. Building up party and fighting bandits. Also attacks hideouts. Only available to clan armies. AI does not use this if above is implemented.
- Assembles an offensive army. It will use your influence and build an army to attack an enemy labelled as "Offensive" by your kingdom
- Assembles a defensive army. It will use your influence and build an army to defend against an enemy labelled as "Defensive" by your kingdom

+1

How I think Main Patruls- feature should work

A patrul- function is essentional. Not only for player but also for AI. But there is a big problem with it and it´s the number of lords available after some deaths etc. If AI utilize lords and parties-spots to protect their fiefs there are few left to wage war!

I think patruls should be something the owner of a fief initiates from the fief management screen. It spawns "manhunter"- parties protecting it´s demesne. It´s upkeep is a "Daily Militia" malus and a low maintenance cost. From the fief management screen, player can set how big these parties is. Manhunters counts as militia and count towards "Retires"- malus + an extra -1 "Manhunters" towards militia-growth.

Manhunters has similar but opposite to bandit- behavior. They has their own troop-trees(T2-T4), not very unlike caravan-troops for speed. They are listed as manhunter/patrul-parties. The player can assign the governor to lead these parties if he wants to(of cause with the risk of beeing captives). Othervice they are led by a T5 Sherif, simelar to "Caravanleaders" or "Bandit boss" - semi-characters. They excell when interfeering in battles villigeras and caravans are defending part in. They can't destroy hideouts. They priorities bandits over enemy factionmembers but does not heisitate to join a village milita during raid if they see a good chanse to win. THey can't take non-troop prisoners och don't loot.

A big bonus if player can invest in these parties, above default quality which is based on security and quantity from prosperity, as a way to get also weak holdings on the foot again.

If such party is destroyed, no new patrul can be dispatched for a week. During this week, the holding has another -1 to militia growth.

Reagarding party- options

The party-options for player secondary parties should be:

- In the service of the faction(Available fot armies. Othervice their own agendas, normal AI lord behavior. IE as today). Default. AI EXCLUSIVELY use this. Grants some influence/day even if not in an army.
- In the service of the clan(Like above, but only available for armies of your clan).
- Patrulling demesne. Building up party and fighting bandits. Also attacks hideouts. Only available to clan armies. AI does not use this if above is implemented.
- Assembles an offensive army. It will use your influence and build an army to attack an enemy labelled as "Offensive" by your kingdom
- Assembles a defensive army. It will use your influence and build an army to defend against an enemy labelled as "Defensive" by your kingdom
I like these ideas?

The idea of patrols is a bit complicated. It would be good if each property had one that acts as a noble who is protecting an area. That he was part of a percentage of the militia of the settlement. Attack what he can defeat. But what if the patrol is out of town and they besiege it? Allow them free entry to the city when it is under siege? Should Militia production be more generous to recover casualties against bandits or village defenses? That the patrols are neutral in the war and only attack the bandits as in Warband? Do it well so that attacking patrols is not a way that the player can besiege a city without defense or that a city does not go from safe to unsafe because one patrol got caught in a battle against several enemies.

It could be added but I think many things should be corrected together, such as war behaviors. But without a doubt it would be good not to go to an area far from the war and see 10 groups of bandits preventing the peasants from reaching the city. In one game I own the castle that is on the Revil peninsula, if you go through that area, you will see between 5 to 10 groups of bandits stuck fleeing from the castle garrison, with a lot of prisoners. It sucks.

Undoubtedly knowing that my properties have patrols cleaning bandits would avoid worrying about the crap that my other parties do.

My idea above is patrul count is included in the "Retires" malus towards daily Militia Growth. They are not parts of the militia or any calculations thereof.
But what if the patrol is out of town and they besiege it?
You can expect them to be. I see no reason for them to be in town any other than restocking and mayby hiding from an invader. They will not join the gathering outside sieged towns etc. They will also loyally follow the town if it´s defeated. Like villageparties and caravans do.
Allow them free entry to the city when it is under siege?
No. They are not part of the defending militia.
Should Militia production be more generous to recover casualties against bandits or village defenses?
I don't thnik it needs to be. But maybe my upkeep penalty towards militia-growth needs some adjustment/balancing.
That the patrols are neutral in the war and only attack the bandits as in Warband?
No, their alliance follow that of the town. Lords should be as inclined to hunt them as they are towards hunting peasants and caravan parties. and loot from them shout be low quality, they should be as hard as caravans to catch.
Do it well so that attacking patrols is not a way that the player can besiege a city without defense or that a city does not go from safe to unsafe because one patrol got caught in a battle against several enemies.
If their number doesn't count towards militia-count, I don't think this will happen. They should instead provide a small amount security by winning battles against bandits.

A lord choosing to have patruls is actively choosing to have a lower militia in town defense. The militia count will quicker stop to increase and this is ofc good news to any invador, player or AI. But Killing them will not directly affect the count. A new spawned patrul will not take their force from militia count. The seven days cooldown in my suggestion is the time it takes to train a new patrul - who is not from militia troop-tree but a manhunter tree I picture more like caravanguards for speed. Also manhunters from Warband were more like this.
It could be added but I think many things should be corrected together, such as war behaviors.
I think above could go in independent of other changes but if there are anything I think they should do, its a bigger job with dividing the map into regions and areas(where a region is a collection or areas and happen to map to the starting look of the map. Areas is a city, 1-3 castles and their villages). This would massively help greating a good AI for above as well as for it´s main purpuse - A wargoal/casus belli system.
arband were more like caravans-guards than militia or regular troops.

My idea above is patrul count is included in the "Retires" malus towards daily Militia Growth. They are not parts of the militia or any calculations thereof.

You can expect them to be. I see no reason for them to be in town any other than restocking and mayby hiding from an invader. They will not join the gathering outside sieged towns etc. They will also loyally follow the town if it´s defeated. Like villageparties and caravans do.

No. They are not part of the defending militia.

I don't thnik it needs to be. But maybe my upkeep penalty towards militia-growth needs some adjustment/balancing.

No, their alliance follow that of the town. Lords should be as inclined to hunt them as they are towards hunting peasants and caravan parties. and loot from them shout be low quality, they should be as hard as caravans to catch.

If their number doesn't count towards militia-count, I don't think this will happen. They should instead provide a small amount security by winning battles against bandits.

A lord choosing to have patruls is actively choosing to have a lower militia in town defense. The militia count will quicker stop to increase and this is ofc good news to any invador, player or AI. But Killing them will not directly affect the count. A new spawned patrul will not take their force from militia count. The seven days cooldown in my suggestion is the time it takes to train a new patrul - who is not from militia troop-tree but a manhunter tree I picture more like caravanguards for speed. Also manhunters from Warband were more like this.

I think above could go in independent of other changes but if there are anything I think they should do, its a bigger job with dividing the map into regions and areas(where a region is a collection or areas and happen to map to the starting look of the map. Areas is a city, 1-3 castles and their villages). This would massively help greating a good AI for above as well as for it´s main purpuse - A wargoal/casus belli system.
arband were more like caravans-guards than militia or regular troops.
I hope to see this someday in the vanilla game.

Back
Top Bottom