What happened to "building a criminal empire"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Any time TW responds to anyone pointing out all the missing features or false advertising, TW will just say:
"Well, if you look at it from an extremely general sense, it is sorta in the game, so you're wrong."
At this rate, I think they're surpassing Trump in the quantity of lies told.

^ this 100%

Its called base dishonesty and it's a form of lying. Now I get that sometimes features dont work out but this feel more an intentional act of deception. The game they were selling us via devlogs and interviews is a far cry from what we received. If by planning on making the game cross platform "accessible" -we all know that developer will sell out advanced game design for better sales via consoles - thats dishonest for the sake of higher sales/profit

They won Bank this time, we'll see how their next game goes saleswise..

Publicly showcased Bannerlord gameplay demo from 2016:

Devblog which followed the demo:

Steam Store page description, visible to everyone buying Bannerlord since March 2020:

For 5 years, Taleworlds has allowed the 5,000,000+ people who bought the game to believe that Bannerlord would let the player use back alleys to create "criminal empires".

But players still cannot own alleys. And there is nothing in their future plans statement about criminal enterprises. In fact, apparently they have not even decided internally whether it will make it into the game.

Are Taleworlds actually going to deliver on this mechanic they are still advertising?

It doesn't have to be super complicated. Something like this: once you defeat a gang in an alleyway, you have the option to start your own criminal enterprise there (with a name like "counterfeiting ring", "black market," "thieves' hideout" etc) which is just like a normal workshop, except it is more profitable, does not have economy inputs/outputs, and has the downside of raising your criminal rating. That would deliver on what they said, in a way that re-uses existing mechanics and doesn't complicate the economic simulation.

This is just an example, though. Anything close to Taleworlds' previous statements will be enough to make them not be liars.

The game is great. Working as intended.
Thank you Taleworlds!! ❤

i did not know they sold that many copies... cant believe it, hundreds of millions of dollars... and then armagan and his dev pals went to bahamas and left the office in charge of 2 interns. at least 90% of casuals on steam are happy. fking ridiculous

is false marketing illegal and can i get a refund with that reason from steam even after 100hrs of playing?

Last edited:
is false marketing illegal and can i get a refund with that reason from steam even after 100hrs of playing?
You might be able to with games that are different to how they are described; I know some countries like Germany and Australia legally require Steam to provide refunds for falsely advertised games regardless of playtime. Check your country's laws.
For example - https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...misleading-consumer-guarantee-representations
And this is also helpful:
Promising something will be in a product you're selling to lure customers in, and then not delivering on that promise, is absolutely unacceptable and should be punished. So a refund is reasonable in that circumstance, IMO.

Don't jump the gun though. Taleworlds might still be planning to include the feature, and just aren't sharing that information (which isn't great either). So wait until the release of the game (I know that could be a while) and if it isn't there by then, put in your refund request. It will get knocked back by an automatic message, so email Steam Support, or make a support ticket about something else, to get a real person to look at it.
If Steam Support knocks back your request, and you've paid via a third party such as Paypal, you can lodge a dispute with the third party, and that might get Steam off their lazy ass to issue the refund.

Here's an example of someone getting a refund for an Early Access game (DayZ standalone) after the 14 day time limit.

Let's hope that Taleworlds just deliver what they said would be in the game so everyone is happy.
As an aside, I don't like their lack of transparency. If they aren't sure exactly how a feature will be implemented, that doesn't stop them from confirming it will be present in some form. No point leaving us in the dark about whether we are getting what we paid for.

You might be ...
Thanks for the tips. But yeah wont jump the gun yet as you said, heres hoping theyll implement it.

For sure their lack of transparency is annoying, and the fact that it seems the only transparency there is, is not done by a community manager but some random dev

Just remembered the disappointment I felt in my first visit to a town looking exactly for this feature and nothing else, found a bunch of gangsters, beat them up and searched the whole town for the guy that tells me how to establish my own criminal activity there, still searching for him, I guess

If Steam Support knocks back your request, and you've paid via a third party such as Paypal, you can lodge a dispute with the third party, and that might get Steam off their lazy ass to issue the refund.
Or they might ban your steam account. I wouldn´t advise to go that way. I also not aware about any German law about game refunds.

You can't refund the game because of this. Game does have "crime" system in it and you can gain criminal points by doing one single quest (this stolen goods thingy) or by robbing peasants/caravans(*see below)
And they can very much claim that this is what they meant with criminal empire. They don't have to deliver everything they mentioned in previous videos and blogs since they are subject to change. As a consumer, you can find this hypocrite and decide not to buy anything from that company though - that part is up to you. Or you can give bad review if that matters.

Nevertheless, as I said previously, it's not hard to predict what they will implement just to make sure that no one can complain about that. Although even right now dev says "The crime system largely works as described" so perhaps they are already okay with it and have no interest in properly implementing it.

Last edited:
What is the highest year anyone has gotten to? I'm at 1109, is there a year of Armageddon in this or does it just go forever?

Also, my snow is weird and no more orange leveling dot next to names.

Last edited:
What is the highest year anyone has gotten to? I'm at 1109, is there a year of Armageddon in this or does it just go forever?

Also, my snow is weird and no more orange leveling dot next to names.
I've gotten up to like year 1130 or something around there. I assume it goes on forever.

What is really sad about this fact-check is that almost all of these are extremely easy to implement and can very much be a really nice touch to a game that can also balance a lot of existing problematic things such as "snowballing".

I always thought that snowballing was more of a feature problem rather than a balancing one. There was so much time spent tweaking lord's income, troops, etc. to prevent snowballing. Keyword being prevent, because on a long enough timeline every game develops into a snowball even after all of the changes.

I thought something like a proper rebellion system where cultures could rise from the grave and push back in an organized fashion against their conquerors. Instead we have what is a system that makes you babysit recently conquered castles and towns, nothing that could substantially stop a powerful faction.

I always thought that snowballing was more of a feature problem rather than a balancing one. There was so much time spent tweaking lord's income, troops, etc. to prevent snowballing. Keyword being prevent, because on a long enough timeline every game develops into a snowball even after all of the changes.

I thought something like a proper rebellion system where cultures could rise from the grave and push back in an organized fashion against their conquerors. Instead we have what is a system that makes you babysit recently conquered castles and towns, nothing that could substantially stop a powerful faction.
I agree. To add to that : there is a lack of intra faction conflicts.
If clans within a faction could be at war with each other it would open the door for a much deeper diplomacy/political/relational system where bigger faction gain an internal threat (division) everytime they reduce the external threat (other kingdoms).

So that the theme of the empire would be a systemic and organic feature of the whole game.
The criminal system could be a subsystem of that "internal conflicts" system.

+1 for internal rivalry’s based on traits, influence en personal friendship and or inheritance disputes.

Don't worry, in a few years, you will get your criminal empire the same as terrain battle system and whatnot... just need to fix a few bugs and add a few new helmets, chill.

PS. Bannerlord has become the new Star citizen, it seems.

Don't worry, in a few years, you will get your criminal empire the same as terrain battle system and whatnot... just need to fix a few bugs and add a few new helmets, chill.

PS. Bannerlord has become the new Star citizen, it seems.
Nothing will top Star Citizen until they get 500k players to fork over like $150.

Back
Top Bottom