Sieges - a wierd inconvenience

Users who are viewing this thread

It is strange that when I am besieged I am locked out of the ability to trade with or interact with the town.

I am in command of this place, it's my fief, I'm waiting for a siege, why cant I:

- dump some troops into the garrison if I have forgotten to balance my party as I'm fleeing after picking up some recruits quickly and have excess I wanted to put into the garrison prior to the siege
- talk to my parties (as king) and switch around the troops as I organize my defenses

I have time it takes a day at least for the sieges to be setup, I dont know why you are locking out the menu for the interact with town functions.

You should be able to transition to the town menu while the siege is happening even if it is only the garrison / prisoner menu so you can upgrade troops also.

You shouldn't let them siege you. Even if you want to use defensive siege gear, it's wasting campaign time to let them build the camp. I agree the garrison part is weird, but they town is in lockdown, so it makes sense you can't got the store or other locations.

I'm more doing it because I want to try out the defensive gameplay.

Who cares about wasting time, I wanted to try defending the castle instead of always assaulting it.

I get the trade ban to a certain extent but what if you wanted to buy a weapon or armor etc I'm sure some of the stores would be having a great time. Maybe you get a trade malus while under siege but as a king of Calradia I would expect that any merchant would be more than happy to keep me and the thousands of troops I have at my command would make him agreeable to trade.

Some of the menu decisions in general need to be made better as the user experience as it stands right now is a bit of a hassle. This is one of those hassles, it's the same with when you are attacking you cant talk to your army; which is just wierd why cant I have a tent chat with my commanders and discuss the attack plan, like dont deploy catapults till all slots are constructed, or deploy catapults as constructed (the current behavior).

The quests conversation chains are the same, why isn't there a complete quest (if I have the resources e.g. grain for village) at the same menu level as accept quest?

Less clicks will be better for console as well so they really should think of that as well when designing the menus, you shouldn't have to accept then go back to the guy to say I can help you.

Who cares about wasting time, I wanted to try defending the castle instead of always assaulting it.

I get the trade ban to a certain extent but what if you wanted to buy a weapon or armor etc I'm sure some of the stores would be having a great time. Maybe you get a trade malus while under siege but as a king of Calradia I would expect that any merchant would be more than happy to keep me and the thousands of troops I have at my command would make him agreeable to trade.

Some of the menu decisions in general need to be made better as the user experience as it stands right now is a bit of a hassle. This is one of those hassles, it's the same with when you are attacking you cant talk to your army; which is just wierd why cant I have a tent chat with my commanders and discuss the attack plan, like dont deploy catapults till all slots are constructed, or deploy catapults as constructed (the current behavior).

The quests conversation chains are the same, why isn't there a complete quest (if I have the resources e.g. grain for village) at the same menu level as accept quest?

Less clicks will be better for console as well so they really should think of that as well when designing the menus, you shouldn't have to accept then go back to the guy to say I can help you.
+1

Exactly. M&B is about warfare, and defence is as important as offence. And while I agree, that you should absolutely be able to interact with your troops and the garrison in a town, that's besieged, I am not too sure about trading (of any kind)...

Not entirely right. Realistically, a castle/town would have it's own supply of weapons and armour, and if a siege is coming, any civilians would be evacuated if possible (including merchants). And if it wasn't possible, those civilians would be hiding, not doing trade in the middle of a siege. Not being able to access the stores, taverns, etc. during a siege makes perfect sense.

[...] which is just wierd why cant I have a tent chat with my commanders and discuss the attack plan, like dont deploy catapults till all slots are constructed, or deploy catapults as constructed (the current behavior).
Isn't that what's already happening when you are deploying troops and siege machines? As a player, you already make your plan before the actual siege, and change it on the go during the siege. You already command your troops.

I guess, the only thing that such "tent chat" could serve, is to automate some of the process, e.g. tell your archers (or representatives, like archer commanders) which targets to focus, draw a lines in which the infantry should approach and charge castle, etc. Just automate some of this process, so you wouldn't have to do so much, at once, on the actual field and could instead focus on fighting.

An almost-strategy game like this shouldn't be on consoles at all. Console compatibility is likely making TW hold back on some (or a lot) of the features.

While I agree that this is definitely a pc game they seem to want to take it the same route as wb. So highlighting that it would be better for both condole as well as pc might mean they actually bother implementing it.

Exactly. M&B is about warfare, and defence is as important as offence. And while I agree, that you should absolutely be able to interact with your troops and the garrison in a town, that's besieged, I am not too sure about trading (of any kind)...

I should still be able to buy basic things like grain. In fact, if the fief is mine I should be able to confiscate it at the cost of loyalty.

Back
Top Bottom