Users who are viewing this thread

Currently, score is based solely on damage. While I don't entirely disagree with this system, I do feel that there are more accurate ways of showing who is performing best, and how to properly rank players based on their contribution to their team in Skirmish.

First we need to understand what makes up team impact plays.

1. Damage
2. Kills
3. Assists
4. Dismounts
5. Capturing Flags

Only 3 out of these 5 have any effect on scoring right now. I feel that you should get additional score for dismounting enemy players, as it is very important when playing competitively or regularly. Fighting against quality enemy cavalry and doing your part should not go unnoticed. Capturing flags is a more familiar request some people have had. With the last updates, kills account for 20 points, so capturing a flag should be around 5-10. Damage should show up separately on the scoreboard. People, including myself, have been getting 12 kills for example, and three people above them have 5 or so, but the damage of the higher players is more, so they get counted as being more of an impact player, which is understandable but at the same time I'm going to make the argument for the final blow having the most impact, you could call it kill stealing but the fact of the matter is a veteran player with 15 HP left can do a heck of a lot more to a team of inexperienced players with 100HP. You should be rewarded for getting that kill, as it could entirely change the outcome of that round.

So, what I am suggesting in summary.

- More points for kills (overtakes damage)
- Damage shows up separately on the scoreboard
- Getting some score for dismounting enemy cavalry
- Getting some score for capturing flags

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this and if they have any suggestion of their own, or if they think the current system is fine as it is. Let me know!

Its very funny to me that AI on AI TK's within your Captain's squad count against you. I didn't tell you to ****ing throw a javelin in your friends face, man. That's on you.

So, what I am suggesting in summary.

- More points for kills (overtakes damage)
- Damage shows up separately on the scoreboard
- Getting some score for dismounting enemy cavalry
- Getting some score for capturing flags
I'm very sceptical to any modifications to the score that can be "gamed". Mainly because, as of now, score affects xp which again affects loot. This makes it desireable to chase high scores without any thought about the actual outcome of the match. It has been very visible for some time in cpt mode with people always using 2h and frothing over their killcount. All the while ignoring the rest of the team. Using your mere presence to protect a flag doesn't gain kills; you gotta rush them down, leaving the flag! If the score could be a lot less tied to xp and the result of the match was what really mattered I'd be down for all of these. For captain mode I have only good things to say so far about the switch from kills to dmg. Don't know how it is in skirmish though.

I suppose I'm especially in agreement with you on kills counting more than the damage you dealt to get the kill. I've stated before on this forum that a low dmg killing blow is more valuable to the team than a higher dmg non-killing blow. I still suppose there should have to be a balance tho. The units running around doing chip damage can sometimes be the real MVPs of a game and I would still like for them to get recognition. One way to do it might be to have different "medals" handed out after each round. Now it's just one for each team, but you could easily justify having 2 or 3. Most kills, most dmg and most flags captured/held. Some team efforts might be immesurable tho. Maintaining a shield wall in front of archers to draw fire, block cav and deter enemy inf is certainly valuable to the team, but it will net you exactly 0 score (unless some cav runs into your spears).

On the cav dismounting thing I've read this counter-point:
If you are a skirmish team with flexible players (who can multiclass into cav well) you generally save the horses instead of killing them if you kill the rider off of them. Theoretically this means you can be in a situation where you can be on the winning side of a game yet your team will have an aggregate lower score than the losing team, since they would kill horses and you would save them. Pretty Silly! Pretty Sad!
Now, I'm not a skirmish player, but it rings true, to me, that double-scoring dismounting then killing might incentivises "gaming" the system. In this example even to the detriment of the team as you lose out on a horse. On the other hand I also remember people complaining, back before this change, that people took unneccesary risks while killing cav because hitting the horse netted you no score. I really can't opine as I rarely play skirmish (even rarer now that I get insta-kicked in warmup), but these are the arguments I've heard that comes to mind.

On the other hand I also remember people complaining, back before this change, that people took unneccesary risks while killing cav because hitting the horse netted you no score.
Losing the game from inoptimal strategies is a far greater incentive than getting a high number for this "score" stat that no serious skirmish player cares about. I don't even know if stats are recorded anymore in comp since we can't feasibly track deaths without a lot of menial work.

Losing the game from inoptimal strategies is a far greater incentive than getting a high number for this "score" stat that no serious skirmish player cares about. I don't even know if stats are recorded anymore in comp since we can't feasibly track deaths without a lot of menial work.
I think we are in agreement about how it should be. I'm not convinced tho that the motivations of a "serious skirmish player"would be to win games When the primary determinant for loot is score. There is no rank system to care about and the win-badges caps out at a lot less than what "serious skirmish players" have. There might thus be no reason to care about winning. Gaming the loot system might actually have some value to players.

Back
Top Bottom