Do you want more complex features, such as proper formation behaviour in Bannerlord?

Do you want more complex features in Bannerlord?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

lmao, the only explanation i can think for this is that they don't have strict version control and some dev working on X ends up uploading his part of the work to be released in the next build alongside older code that breaks things that had already been solved by another dev responsible for that area, again and again...

That or they are making many more under the hood changes than they actually present in the changelogs and end up breaking things bad by messing with them all the time.

If it was something like if a character is younger than 20 and has more than 250 medicine then the death chance gets reduced to negative values making the character immortal in simulated battles, it wouldn't be so ridiculous, the chances of catching that are pretty small and the chances of it happening are even smaller, but we are not talking about that level of bugs, they are releasing game breaking bugs that are impossible not to notice.

This type of issue is something you get when your developer is not testing changes and isn't passing it along as something that needs at least a once over (not that in this case it needed to be said, the ranged AI bug is pretty ****ing obvious). Doesn't matter where in the world you are, there will always be some mfcker that thinks "oh, it is just a simple change, no need to test it"

The Greeks advanced in coherent ranks to within charge distance, and ATTEMPTED to maintain those ordered ranks on the final charge as best they could. Apparently, both sides typically charged a SHORT distance, and met somewhere in the middle, with only modest disruption.

There were several ploys used, such as faking a charge so the enemy would charge almost the entire distance and begin to scatter before the REAL charge was ordered. Taking a charge at the halt risked getting overwhelmed by the inertia of the charging side, but allowed for a more orderly formation if you were able to hold. In several mentioned situations, the armies approached without charging, and spent the better part of the day poking and jabbing from maximum spear range, with no decisive outcome. In at least one confrontation, the two sides pressed together, turning it into a shoving match to topple the opposing front rank over backwards, with multiple ranks behind them all adding weight to the push. There's very little mention of disorderly "mob" attacks except under unusual circumstances, such as when attacked unexpectedly while encamped, or in broken terrain.

Roman tactics under Gaius Julius (later known as "Caesar") were often similar, with a methodical approach, then a brief halt to throw pila or javelins, followed by a short charge to contact. Again, tricks were sometimes used to disrupt the opposing charge or disorder their ranks. Anything beyond that short charge distance risked a disordered front line and high casualties.

Even the bronze age clashes show signs of having been conducted in orderly ranks (aside from a few preliminary contests between opposing champions), and even the Stele of Vultures depicts a row of spearmen with large shields in tight formation.

Macedonia packed more spear points into a smaller area by use of longer pikes and forgoing the large shields. That doesn't mean that the Greeks fought as disorderly mobs.

The tactics of warfare were modified and improved over time, and new tricks learned, but the imperative to dress that line and maintain a solid wall of shields still carries into modern march traditions. It's not about aesthetics: if you don't maintain that firm shield wall, you die.

Thucydides stated a lot of clearly incorrect "facts", as did virtually every other writer of antiquity, since the primary aim was to tell a good story, with historical accuracy as a secondary goal at best. One has to treat their writings with about the same level of skepticism as one would for a modern Hollywood production "based on" a historical incident.
Your average tap water consumer

Your average tap water consumer
498ed76be651cffb6bb9bac6a9bb75c3.jpg

Soldiers are esentially pushing their friends into death, it all looks very unnatural and suicidal.
I absolutely despise this... Looking at older footage like the 2016 siege everything looks so smooth, no jittering no nothing . Troops still try to push but it does look like they had much more "weight" back then

Amazing work! Well done!
It's great seeing people like you who have the initiative to fix problems on their own

The problem is that none of them stand out they look different but they all act the same. Same dialogue same actions regardless of traits. A coward and a brave npc are the same and honourable and dishonourable ncp are the same. It would be good if the traits open up different dialogue options and different available actions like Honourable may give you the ability to offer a duel instead of a mass battle or in battle challenge and leader to duel. Dishonourable may let you hire spies to spread rumours on other lords. The npc's could have and use these abilities. It doesn't have to exactly this but you get my drift.

I am not asking for much. I am not asking for pikewall or phalanx formations, but I feel that you should be to customize some groups into a customized formations before battles. I want my Group I to consist of pikemen and spearman and they always start with the longest weapon in spearwall formation, and they do not throw any weapons or use any swords unless I tell them to. I want my Group VI to always use their swords, 2H as first priorty and 1H if they don't have.

I am not asking for much. I am not asking for pikewall or phalanx formations, but I feel that you should be to customize some groups into a customized formations before battles. I want my Group I to consist of pikemen and spearman and they always start with the longest weapon in spearwall formation, and they do not throw any weapons or use any swords unless I tell them to. I want my Group VI to always use their swords, 2H as first priorty and 1H if they don't have.
Controlling the weapons of your units would be so good, another feature that warband had and was axed for bannerlord.

TW seems to think AI and simulation can solve anything but this is a game not a movie, i want to control things instead of just watching, they can work 1000 years in their AI and it still won't even compare to a human player adapting his strategies in real-time and giving commands.

Yes. Of course we do want more complex features. More QoL features, like party screen enhancements, so you save upgrade preferences and an option to one click it, better and more complex quests, more art, more scenes, BTS, more realistic combat. More engagement from the game in a nutshell :smile: For a complex things, maybe some more fine grained diplomacy, sending envoys with messages. Working siege towers, maybe a freelancer-like game experience, start as a noble with castle, etc. It's a sandbox game and it's a trap for devs - there's a huge amount of things to be done so that the game feels alive, natural and fun to play. Right now it's a kinda love-hate relationship with emphasis on hate.

am not asking for pikewall or phalanx formations, but I feel that you should be to customize some groups into a customized formations before battles.
We kinda have this feature, you can put pikemen and spearmen into one formation in the party screen menu, after the order of battle feature drops we are also going to have the ability to make them start at the front instead of sending them there every single time.
and they do not throw any weapons or use any swords unless I tell them to
You can turn off throwing by choosing the formation and pressing F4. Yet i do agree, i wish we could change weapons on command that would be grand.

I am unsure whether this has been noticed by TW devs and I sincerely hope so!

Tho it is a very good thing to have an active community not only making suggestions on improving your game hence making it more successful upon final release, but they also get a community serving them fixes and valid solutions on a silver platter!!!

Imagine this: Your customers paying YOU so THEY can fix YOUR product!! A Bargain if I've ever seen one lads! Not taking advantage of it is a crime.

Last edited:
I absolutely despise this... Looking at older footage like the 2016 siege everything looks so smooth, no jittering no nothing . Troops still try to push but it does look like they had much more "weight" back then

Don't do that....don't post the past when the game looked better, ran better, and played better. It makes me want to never have wished for the game to come out as it did.

The unit collision in the 2016 defense video looks perfect
It’s hard to imagine that 2020 will be disappointing to 2021 and the unit collision will not return to 2016.
Compared to 2016
Most of the helmets in 2020 are blacked out and have no gloss. This is really disappointing. I mean, why should the good models be changed to bad ones?
Of course there is the sound of cutting

Last edited:
Impressive!

But I wonder, in the case with 900 looters against legionaries, why does not the looters swarm the flanks and surround them, as they should have in vanilla? Would that not been an even better tactic?

Back
Top Bottom