Long Playthrough Mule/Sumpter Horse Populations

Users who are viewing this thread

EverKira

Recruit
I was around 11 or 12 years into a playthrough after the 1.64 Beta came out and I started to notice a lot of Mules and relatively few actual "you can use this to upgrade your mounted troops" horses.

KakSp.jpg

Hubyar has almost 1200 mules for sale.
6_QYm.jpg

Iyakis 300 Sumpter Horses, 220 Mules
lYIQC.jpg

Askar 418 Sumpter Horses, 373 Mules
hQh-c.jpg

Charas 343 mules
8xB23.jpg

Baltakhand has 1158 Mules for sale.
CSvMU.jpg

Husn Fulq has 504 mules for sale.
wlGFW.jpg

And Odokh has 440 sumpter horses and 811 Mules for sale.

I really don't know if this is a bug or if in trying to reduce the late game war horse trade they allowed a rampaging horde of pack animals upon the world. I just found the numbers to be absolutely ludicrous.

I'm guessing it is a oversight more then a bug and that whatever "stuff" helps the villages have more chance to produce tier 2 horses (or 1?) is tanking over time they're just making mules and sumpters. Maybe a code reading hero can tell us what's up though.
Too bad there's not a-symmetrical online like on death stranding so I could trade you some horses :smile:

Hypothesis :

Maybe the "breeder" perk on NPC. They moved a lot on the map, gained riding points, 50% chance to get "breeder" perk which affect mules.
Caravans have lots of mules and armies may have some ? so the production of those would be growing overtime and ends up in the market.

Where the war horse/horse are consumed (both by the market demand and by upgrade/losses) mules & sumpter horses are just sold. And their demand on market is 7 time lower than war horse/horses.

Hypothesis :

Maybe the "breeder" perk on NPC. They moved a lot on the map, gained riding points, 50% chance to get "breeder" perk which affect mules.
Caravans have lots of mules and armies may have some ? so the production of those would be growing overtime and ends up in the market.

Where the war horse/horse are consumed (both by the market demand and by upgrade/losses) mules & sumpter horses are just sold. And their demand on market is 7 time lower than war horse/horses.
I see this, but you would assume that the mule/sumpter horse market would move the animals from a place of high supply to a place woth a low supply. There are markets with 0 pack animals at all. I'm just baffled by it.

Irrelevant but you seem to be keeping expensive items and stuff and this might help: You can click the black circles next to the item's price to lock them, so you can use the trade all buttons without trading those.
I also appreciate the post and I think the issue should be adressed.

I see this, but you would assume that the mule/sumpter horse market would move the animals from a place of high supply to a place woth a low supply. There are markets with 0 pack animals at all. I'm just baffled by it.
Correct

digging the code and it feels like a complicated bit
Another hypothesis after digging a bit in :

under hypothesis that pack Animal are not trade goods :
1) they only sell packAnimals in excess of manpower * 0.6
2) they only buy packAnimal when below manPower * 0.5

Obviously they won't move pack Animal around under those constraints :p

=> it's complicated because there are a lot of special cases since those animals are used to carry weight.
But if that's correct : new caravans "spawn" mules (don't buy), and being attacked reduced their manpower, triggering them to sell them.

Last edited:
Irrelevant but you seem to be keeping expensive items and stuff and this might help: You can click the black circles next to the item's price to lock them, so you can use the trade all buttons without trading those.
I also appreciate the post and I think the issue should be adressed.
I didn't knew that :p ty !

we are already looking at the over abundance of various good especially in later stages in the game. Though the problem probably rises from over production of burden animals as well as herding penalty being too resrictive for caravans to move animals around especially mules sumpters and camel considering their low profit margins

we are already looking at the over abundance of various good especially in later stages in the game. Though the problem probably rises from over production of burden animals as well as herding penalty being too resrictive for caravans to move animals around especially mules sumpters and camel considering their low profit margins
Low profit margins? You can buy them for 28 Denars and sell them for upwards of 200 a few towns over.

unfortunatly AI`s calculation of profit opportunities is a bit different. especially if they are going to receive herding penalties

Back
Top Bottom