Should horses with their rider ragdoll after impaled by spear? Should pikes/spears be breakable?

• zxv

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi,
I understand what i am raising is something a lot of people has tought about, and might be added, yet i just wanted to voice it since i feel it is very important for the balance of the game.

Couching a lance has been in the game for a while, and it is arguable one of the most satisfying feelings in the game, i love it.
With the implementation of spear bracing, and seeing how deadly this formation is for cavarly charges, i really think that the lances, spears and pikes should be breakable.

A normal light lancer probably has a horse weighing close to 500KGs, whereas heavier armored lancers probably have a combined weight of closer to 1000KGs with a bigger horse. The horse also should not completely stop in its track when its impaled by a spear/pike. It should throw the horse and rider into a deadly ragdoll crushing through the formation like a meaty cannonball, a meatball, when impaled. This would look amazing from both the attacking and receiving end.

Is this something TW would consider spending time on doing?

Which would make the pikemen useless after the first charge ... just a unit with a little extra sword. Suffice to say that it will become useless again. The idea is not bad in itself, but so the spears of the horsemen too will have to break too. So the riders will be with their swords during the second charge.

It's funny timing for me that this post was brought up. I was thinking of all of the above just yesterday.
It's a little bit off topic but there was a mechanic in a game based off Warband's engine that would not allow players to glue their spears, lances and axes to their backs. If the player wanted to swap say to their one handed weapon and shield the player had to discard their two handed to the ground. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the game.

Which would make the pikemen useless after the first charge ... just a unit with a little extra sword. Suffice to say that it will become useless again. The idea is not bad in itself, but so the spears of the horsemen too will have to break too. So the riders will be with their swords during the second charge.
Yes ofcourse! But i am not talking a guaranteed destructuon of the pike. Lets say a 20% chance, when a cavarly charge is hit with a pike, or a lancer going full speed against a heavily armored opponent, the pike would snap and the unit would resort to using his sword.

I think some balancing needs to be done, either with the horse and rider ragdolling through the formation, or else we would end up with Total War: Rome 2 type of deal. 2 units of pikemen can hold against howevery many opponents you throw at them, excluding ranged ofcourse.

It's funny timing for me that this post was brought up. I was thinking of all of the above just yesterday.
It's a little bit off topic but there was a mechanic in a game based off Warband's engine that would not allow players to glue their spears, lances and axes to their backs. If the player wanted to swap say to their one handed weapon and shield the player had to discard their two handed to the ground. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the game.
Have not heard of it, sounds good tho :smile:

although breakable weapons are realistic. the game has limitations. namely equipment slots and lack of support (supplies, camp workers, cooks, etc) so realistically the lance of a knight will break, but he also has 5 squires waiting to pass him a fresh one, with maybe a fresh horse too.

the main problem i see is the horse physics, how they come to complete stops the moment they touch anything (most annoying problem is when you have a cavalry charge and your horsemen from the back line run into your own horses in front, and they just completely stop and do 0 damage while missing their attacks)

I would see a lance breaking much like throwing all the javelins and it would just skip over that slot as though it is empty and you would get the lance back at the start of the next battle.

But how would a lance ever break when Cavalry can't hit anything?
Lol ? love that comment.
nothing more discouraging than seeing looters etc. escape and exiting the battle field without a scratch and 50 cavs around them trying to hit something.

Last edited:
what's the point of cavalry now that their lances break though? their horses do almost no trample damage. they can't hit anything with their lances, and when they do, it break? lol
let's just give archers laser rifles, and infantry lightsabers and call it a day

Back
Top Bottom