Siege Tower Height and Ramp

Users who are viewing this thread

So there is a mod out there that actually puts a temp fix on the siege battles; here it is for everyone:

So back to the main topic at hand. Why is the siege tower not taller than the wall itself? I ask because everytime the ramp drops, the defenders just rush in and kill the attackers on the ladders. What they need to do is increase the height of the towers and let the ramp drop on top of the rampart so:

1. The defenders cant rush the attackers and pre-emptively kill them and,
2. The attackers are able to use the tower effectively.

If we want to get really historical, a modder could eventually use Siege Towers as they were historically used and put mass numbers of archers on it and even a catapult or two as was the case when Alexander besieged the city of Tyre.

You are definitely onto something. Lets upvote this to the top.

As posted by Freewar on the forum of the Nexus mod in question:
'THE RESULTS ARE IN. THIS IS THE ACTUAL SIEGE FIX WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR.
Siege towers actually work now. Like 80% of the time you will see all three lanes at max capacity with only minor gaps between usage.

I had one situation where some bots at the foot of the siege tower all decided at the same time they needed to go somewhere else and that blocked everybody else who wanted to climb, but that lasted only for a minute or so, but issues such as defenders climbing down, attackers climbing back down and general under usage are really gone with this mod outside of the situation I have just described. This fix is absolutely insane, we waited 565 days for this. Thank you very much ZiggyBoy!'

This is a great question.

An alternative solution is making the bridge on the siege tower not drop until a group of troops are ready to go at the top.

If we want to get really historical, a modder could eventually use Siege Towers as they were historically used and put mass numbers of archers on it and even a catapult or two as was the case when Alexander besieged the city of Tyre.
This, siege towers in Mount and Blade, Total War and Hollywood are disfunctional fantasy. Historically they are most of all about suppressing the enemy with your own fire (figuratively and literally), frightening them, ramming the walls and once you have clear "landing" then putting troops on the walls. Only situation when I can imagine them being used in the popularized way is when you know you have clearly better soldiers both in terms of discipline and gear or when you have so many of them that you can overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers (but that would be probably very expensive and time consuming).

Same applies to ladders too, they make sense only as a surprise tactic (night attack, attacking part of wall the is not properly defended) or overwhelm tactic (having lots of them, not 4 in total, having orders of magnitude more troops not same or double the numbers).

This, siege towers in Mount and Blade, Total War and Hollywood are disfunctional fantasy. Historically they are most of all about suppressing the enemy with your own fire (figuratively and literally), frightening them, ramming the walls and once you have clear "landing" then putting troops on the walls. Only situation when I can imagine them being used in the popularized way is when you know you have clearly better soldiers both in terms of discipline and gear or when you have so many of them that you can overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers (but that would be probably very expensive and time consuming).

Same applies to ladders too, they make sense only as a surprise tactic (night attack, attacking part of wall the is not properly defended) or overwhelm tactic (having lots of them, not 4 in total, having orders of magnitude more troops not same or double the numbers).

Yes - a siege tower is not accurately portrayed.

Maybe that should be for a future mod.

Bannerlord actually does have something like this.

gf2dbf55un171.jpg

This thread brings something in mind to me, ladders should be something not static into x positions of the siege scene. But free to choose where in the wall they will be deployed before and after the start of the battle, then some AI soldiers(4 max) can bring them into the selected position, being exposed all the way.

Engineering and tactics skill could increase the amount of available stair in the siege.

This thread brings something in mind to me, ladders should be something not static into x positions of the siege scene. But free to choose where in the wall they will be deployed before and after the start of the battle, then some AI soldiers(4 max) can bring them into the selected position, being exposed all the way.

Engineering and tactics skill could increase the amount of available stair in the siege.
That is gonna be a mess for the AI I envision. Lets have a completely functional siege first (ladders, towers, rams, gates, etc) before going for more complex things.

I miss the Warband tower. It has cover, stairs for easy navigation, plenty of space for troops to build up and charge once the ramp went down. Also you had a top area for archers to pelt the enemy at the wall to clear the way. It was great. Then Bannerlord just gives you a ramp on wheels or ladders on wheels where the enemy charges into it and one hits you as you climb the ladder completely vulnerable and you can go back down because others are climbing behind you. See the problem? Talesworld doesn't. That's another problem.

I miss the Warband tower. It has cover, stairs for easy navigation, plenty of space for troops to build up and charge once the ramp went down. Also you had a top area for archers to pelt the enemy at the wall to clear the way. It was great. Then Bannerlord just gives you a ramp on wheels or ladders on wheels where the enemy charges into it and one hits you as you climb the ladder completely vulnerable and you can go back down because others are climbing behind you. See the problem? Talesworld doesn't. That's another problem.
You mean the multiplayer warband tower, right? The one navigated by People not IA, Cuz the single player one, was just a ramp with no details that you described.

Back
Top Bottom