Users who are viewing this thread

I dunno dude they have a pretty well written claim:

"1. A method comprising:
controlling, by a processor, game events in a computer-implemented game, the game events involving an avatar that is operated in response to input from a player, and a first non-player character that is controlled by the processor to respond to and automatically oppose avatars based on first character parameters defined in a computer memory;

detecting, by the processor, occurrence of a predefined one of the game events involving an interaction between the avatar and the first non-player character;

changing, by the processor, second character parameters defined in at least one of the computer memory or a second computer memory for control of a second non-player character in the game based on the detecting, wherein the second non-player character is controlled by the processor to respond to and automatically oppose avatars based on the second character parameters defined in the at least one of the computer memory or the second computer memory; and

outputting, to an output device, an indication of the second character parameters that are changed by the changing."

So much so that many industry people are really kind of nervous about how many scenarios it can be applied to. How it is coded really has nothing to do with infringing, as long as it has the same effect.

Patents are invalidated by prior art. That is to say, if someone already dud it before the patent holder thought of it.

The Dragonborn expansion for Skyrim, featuring Solathiem island, had the Dragonborn opposed by the Dragon Priest Marduk, sending out Dragon cultists to kill the main character.

Also, in the base game of Skyrim, the Dragon/God Alduin resurrects dragons and sends them to attack the main character at frequent random intervals throughout the main campaign.

Prior art. Patent is invalid because it should never have been granted.

Patents are invalidated by prior art. That is to say, if someone already dud it before the patent holder thought of it.

The Dragonborn expansion for Skyrim, featuring Solathiem island, had the Dragonborn opposed by the Dragon Priest Marduk, sending out Dragon cultists to kill the main character.

Also, in the base game of Skyrim, the Dragon/God Alduin resurrects dragons and sends them to attack the main character at frequent random intervals throughout the main campaign.

That is a method used for defeating a patent infringement case, that's a question for a federal judge to decide.

There is an easier way, if I wanted to avoid costly litigation. If I were challenging the claims and looking to build a system around it, I would include in the system NPCs that can help the player or another feature that isn't expressly described in the claim, because in the independent claim it states: "...the second non-player character is controlled by the processor to respond to and automatically oppose avatars based on the second character parameters..."

Skyrim was a perfect game too, although with 256 mods, was just reaching what it should have regularly been : devs -> do your job, do not count on modders….

I dunno dude they have a pretty well written claim:

"1. A method comprising:
controlling, by a processor, game events in a computer-implemented game, the game events involving an avatar that is operated in response to input from a player, and a first non-player character that is controlled by the processor to respond to and automatically oppose avatars based on first character parameters defined in a computer memory;

detecting, by the processor, occurrence of a predefined one of the game events involving an interaction between the avatar and the first non-player character;

changing, by the processor, second character parameters defined in at least one of the computer memory or a second computer memory for control of a second non-player character in the game based on the detecting, wherein the second non-player character is controlled by the processor to respond to and automatically oppose avatars based on the second character parameters defined in the at least one of the computer memory or the second computer memory; and

outputting, to an output device, an indication of the second character parameters that are changed by the changing."

So much so that many industry people are really kind of nervous about how many scenarios it can be applied to. How it is coded really has nothing to do with infringing, as long as it has the same effect.
Was my simplistic way of saying that creating an enemy npc that seeks vengeance against Player is simply not enforcible and after looking at the full legalese they have to word the patent on pretty specific terms which is easily avoidable

As to prior art , it’s a huge problem for them even after all that specificity required and sure they could haul it before a judge but so can anyone at anytime they think they’re ideas are robbed. The fact that they intend to do that just shows more the arsehole-ishness of the company than the daunting of the threat. Some people are just “SueHappy”
*coughs Trump!*

Last edited:
Skyrim was a perfect game too, although with 256 mods, was just reaching what it should have regularly been : devs -> do your job, do not count on modders….

Skyrim, even without a single mod, is like the holy grail of sandbox rpgs.

There are, literally, twice as many quests and dungeons in each of Skyrim's nine holds than there are in many complete AAA titles.

The beginning sequence alone, from waking up in the cart, to escaping from Helgen, was better (cinematically) than 90% of the movies getting churned out lately.

Mods didn't make Skyrim good. It was good to start with.

Pretty sure a Dev has stated that exact sentiment -no matter how much we may hate to admit it. I agree, its an awful vision for a game that had the kind of pedigree (including VC and top previous mods) as this one to downgrade the game. You can probably thank console and new the millennial term of "accessible" for that decision.

This is the crux of the problem in my opinion too. There is absolutely not a f******ing thing of interest to do on the campaign map! You start up nother game hoping this time, something might mysteriously spring out at you in your travels -and it never does. Thats where they failed miserably with the idea of Sandbox -its like sending a kid to a sandbox with literally nothing in it but sand. So you start a new game up -"should I go North, I dunno South? Maybe NorthWest this time..." Why? It doesnt matter as nothing will happen, theres no interesting characters to meet and no reason to enter any city or town because absolutely NOTHING will happen.

The overall combat screens and game are well done but over way too fast and dont really have much character either.
I feel the same way . The world seems pretty lifeless and nothing ever seems to happen . just arena battles and tournaments the characters(ncp) need life injecting into them to make them memorable . I look at a ncp in the encyclopedia and it says there cruel and devious but the act like the honorable and kind ncp. Same dialogue and available actions. I know bannerlord is pushed by some a just a battle simulator but i am hoping for more.

I feel the same way . The world seems pretty lifeless and nothing ever seems to happen . just arena battles and tournaments the characters(ncp) need life injecting into them to make them memorable . I look at a ncp in the encyclopedia and it says there cruel and devious but the act like the honorable and kind ncp. Same dialogue and available actions. I know bannerlord is pushed by some a just a battle simulator but i am hoping for more.
Bannerlord was definitely hyped up to be more but I guess they were either lying or somewhere along the way their ambitions failed. The game is underwhelming with only a few appreciative achievements.

Back
Top Bottom