Bandits (all types) in their current implementation are adding more tedium than value to the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't understand why bandit groups don't fight each other for example sea raiders attack -> forest bandit attack -> steppe etc. Right now they are the most loyal group in comparison to the lords

Bandit hideouts should gradually gain "points" over time, which would be used to create bandit parties at random intervals. Point gain could be influenced by local conditions. Depending on the interval since the last group spawned, the size of the bandit party would vary. That way, you've typically got a number of tiny groups that can be engaged solo by a starting player but are only a minor threat to peasants, a few medium sized groups that are a serious threat to peasants but not capable of taking on caravans, and one or two big groups that are a challenge unless you've got a fairly sizable army backing you. The small groups would be fast and hard to catch by a large army, while the big groups would provide experience for the AI lords, assuming that the AI lords actually go after the bandits.

Basically, as long as the lords (or the player) clear out those bandit parties faster than the points can respawn, the bandit presence will remain small. Neglect them, and they keep building up into a real problem. If the hideout is destroyed, it should take time until there are enough points to build a new hideout, then begin releasing fresh bandit parties again, so a new hideout can't appear right next to where you just destroyed the previous one. You could never eliminate bandits completely, but could keep a region mostly bandit-free with enough effort.

A castle with a garrison over some minimum size (like 150 men) should be able to release a patrol of 10-50 men (randomly sized for the AI, player defined for an owned castle), one per castle.

As said over and over by poster after poster, tying bandit party size to player character level is a terrible design decision. Personally, I feel that "one size fits all" is another terrible choice; there should be a variety of different size bandit parties, regardless of player level or faction rank.

I recently learned on these forums that there wont be Manhunter parties or other form of bandit control because the AI needs this amount of bandits in order to level its troops.
But bandits are usually too fast and flee and scatter from AI parties stronger than them.

And I'm not even talking about desert or steppe bandits.

The really large bandit parties are slow but they aren't the problem.

Why not instead give AI lords the perks that level their troops over time, or else lower bandit speed and make them slightly less likely to scatter like gnats whenever a stronger party is near.

But bandits are usually too fast and flee and scatter from AI parties stronger than them.

And I'm not even talking about desert or steppe bandits.

The really large bandit parties are slow but they aren't the problem.

Why not instead give AI lords the perks that level their troops over time, or else lower bandit speed and make them slightly less likely to scatter like gnats whenever a stronger party is near.
Bandits (other than Steppe Bandits and Sea Raiders) were slightly slower than most other parties in Warband. A typical AI lord's medium-sized party could catch all but the smallest looter groups.

I think a very simple solution is just to enable bandit infighting. Bandits attack one another and gradually build up troops by recruiting prisoners and leveling their own units.

When a band gets big enough they can form a larger party of brigands led by a Wanderer as a notorious outlaw and becomes a new Bandit Minor Faction.

Whatever we're waiting for, there are some parts of the map, related to the type of bandits too (thinking to steppe bandits, sea raiders) that must be a nightmare for peasants... and probably caravans too.

There are some villages for which, I'm really asking myself how a group of villagers can ever reach the town they are supposed to go to...

Back
Top Bottom