Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but most SP games have player activity drop like a rock. The exceptions aren't because of any sort of inherent quality but because they have DLC scheduled to counter the drop.
Which is true but it's not just a SP game, it has MP too, it's just another terrible aspect of this game that nobody plays

So much potential for MP shown through WB vanilla and mods (crpg, persistent world, mercenaries) and still the best they could manage was this pile of festering ****

I guess most people who say this game is good just choose to ignore the MP side of it

Which is true but it's not just a SP game, it has MP too, it's just another terrible aspect of this game that nobody plays

I guess most people who say this game is good just choose to ignore the MP side of it
Most players in general ignore the MP side of it. Even if MP was completely out of the charts, most people picking up Bannerlord still wouldn't play it.

Most players in general ignore the MP side of it. Even if MP was completely out of the charts, most people picking up Bannerlord still wouldn't play it.
I don't know man, if it was amazing and they actually came up with a good idea for it, it could've been big

Just look at how popular that dodgy Bannerlord co-op mod got, if something like that can gather hype, something official and amazing would too

on steam 147,349/168,782 (87%) reviews for this game are positive
and 84% of reviews in the last 30 days are positive

But I guess the 159 people in that poll knows better than the 168,752 people who bought the game and left reviews on steam
Damn normies that havent been around since warband dont know any better

Ive explained this a few times in other threads but the reason we value input from other longstanding TW fans far more than STEAM is because STEAM would have never happened without said long term fans. I use the term Good Faith Capital - that being the very strong fanbase of this series since M&B 1 that have grown pretty large after Warband are the ones who created the hype -they created the noise that attracted the STEAM casual into coming over and checking out this game "Must be good -hey cool swords and horse, i like it" -kinda player. They simply have no point of reference to compare and just enjoy the game for what it presents at surface level - a decent medieval type board and blade game with huge amounts of troops -not something you see alot.

Does their opinion matter? Mostly only to TW because that means $$$ and LOTS of it! So that being the case, TW, who normally have a non verbal contract of good faith with their long term fans in terms of what we hope and expect and KNOW is possible aligned with their Dev Blogs and promise of game outlook "There will be all kinds of dynamic personality and enemy AI on the map etc.." type stuff, much of which they have now abandoned. Why have they abandoned? Because its hard, takes alot more resources, and if the majority of fans are quite content, not holding your proverbial Dev feet to the flame -why bother?

So in that very real sense -they have sold out their long term fanbase - maybe not knowing or caring we would never blindly get behind them again. They made so much $$$, they may no longer care or they are willing to gamble on the less hardcore fan returning for another round of mediocrity -who knows..

that's not necessarily true, there are many people that would enjoy multiplayer, players from mordhau, chivalry and even as far as war of the roses are a testament to this.
I was actually underwhelmed by single-player that most of my hours were in multiplayer, and this hits close to home since I am an avid single-player person. sadly both MP and SP are just not up to par- it's a shame because you can't use the term "which is better" but which is worse.

You seem pretty confident saying that. If MP wasn't utter ****e, people would play it. It's Mordhau but less crazy. No one playing a pile of garbage that doesn't work and doesn't have any balance doesn't mean no one is interested in it.

You seem pretty confident saying that. If MP wasn't utter ****e, people would play it. It's Mordhau but less crazy. No one playing a pile of garbage that doesn't work and doesn't have any balance doesn't mean no one is interested in it.
Because Warband's MP was better and most players still ignored it.
I don't know man, if it was amazing and they actually came up with a good idea for it, it could've been big

Just look at how popular that dodgy Bannerlord co-op mod got, if something like that can gather hype, something official and amazing would too
For all its hype, Bannerlord Online barely put a dent in average player numbers.
that's not necessarily true, there are many people that would enjoy multiplayer, players from mordhau, chivalry and even as far as war of the roses are a testament to this.
Sure. But most players who pick up Bannerlord weren't doing it for multiplayer. Even if they managed to get as many MP players as Warband, Mordhau.

(or completely dead, like WotR)

Because Warband's MP was better and most players still ignored it.

The game is old. That's why people aren't playing MP anymore. When it came out, it was actually quite popular. Very popular, in fact. Enough so, that Holdfast's main inspiration came directly from a MP module. This is still does not provide the concrete data that BL MP is dead because people don't want to play it, as you had so confidently stated.

For all its hype, Bannerlord Online barely put a dent in average player numbers.
It had more players than the actual MP, and imo it wasn't even good

It doesn't make sense to claim games retain concurrent players because they're multiplayer but also say nobody will play Bannerlord's Mp, if it's good enough people will play it

I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about how many players actually jumped from SP to MP. Most didn't in Warband, even when it was new.

Even then a lot of people played MP, it was a beloved part of Warband and played regularly for many years until it took its last breath. So am I understanding that your argument is that because Warband MP couldn't maintain its SP numbers, most people didn't care about MP and thus Bannerlord's MP is also not cared about by "most" players? I'm sorry, that's a rather poor argument.

I know, even more evidence that the game is bad

The sad part is, it probably still has more players than Bannerlord's MP. And it's an old ass game, long since abandoned.

This is a brutally poor take.

Having worked at a lot of software companies you would be shocked at the quagmires that can bog down development and all the things that eat up revenue - like localization, copy writers, human resources, finance, accounting, legal. Marketing isn't the only overhead. Not only that your salary is not the only cost a company incurs, plus you are focused on EBITDA which is different than profit.

The game isn't a grift, it's ambitious as Hell for a company of TaleWorlds size and because the scope of the game far exceeds their ability to effectively play test it, they released it in early access.

I am a lifelong gamer and have been in the software industry for 15+ years. The business takes I see are always way off and we would all be better served by offering the company constructive feedback rather than dismal dismissive takes on behind the scenes operations.

People do give constructive feedback though. Whether or not they all do it without being frustrated is another thing altogether. It just seems TW doesn't really care unless it aligns with their own vision for the game. Everything else gets ignored, completely.

The sad part is, it probably still has more players than Bannerlord's MP. And it's an old ass game, long since abandoned.
****ing probably man

I've gone from thousands of hours in Warband's mp to probably like 10 hours in Bannerlord's mp if you don't count the closed beta, it's crazy how much of a failure this game is for me

Having worked at a lot of software companies you would be shocked at the quagmires that can bog down development and all the things that eat up revenue - like localization, copy writers, human resources, finance, accounting, legal. Marketing isn't the only overhead. Not only that your salary is not the only cost a company incurs, plus you are focused on EBITDA which is different than profit.

The game isn't a grift, it's ambitious as Hell for a company of TaleWorlds size and because the scope of the game far exceeds their ability to effectively play test it, they released it in early access.

I am a lifelong gamer and have been in the software industry for 15+ years. The business takes I see are always way off and we would all be better served by offering the company constructive feedback rather than dismal dismissive takes on behind the scenes operations.

Nah. How long have you been following , playing and been a fan of this series -thats all that matters -i dont care if you built the first Apple II-E prototype. We are the longterm fans and consumers and if we know for a fact that then Devs dropped certain very important features to better make the game both accessible to casuals as well as for Consoles -we are under zero moral obligation to give them some sweet and fluffy encouragement. -snipped-

Last edited by a moderator:
So am I understanding that your argument is that because Warband MP couldn't maintain its SP numbers, most people didn't care about MP and thus Bannerlord's MP is also not cared about by "most" players? I'm sorry, that's a rather poor argument.
No.

My position is that even if BL had MP as good as WB's the overwhelming majority of players still would stop playing it by now because they wouldn't even play good MP. Dudes like the power fantasy aspect and being in command of big armies, that's what M&B does that other games don't do. MP isn't that, has never been that, so most players don't even bother with it.

The melee slasher niche is pretty small overall. Mordhau has been under 5k average for years and Chiv 2's release managed to eat a third of it. I think Conqueror's Blade is around the same.

No.

My position is that even if BL had MP as good as WB's the overwhelming majority of players still would stop playing it by now because they wouldn't even play good MP. Dudes like the power fantasy aspect and being in command of big armies, that's what M&B does that other games don't do. MP isn't that, has never been that, so most players don't even bother with it.

The melee slasher niche is pretty small overall. Mordhau has been under 5k average for years and Chiv 2's release managed to eat a third of it. I think Conqueror's Blade is around the same.

But your assumption of this comes from your assumption that it worked that way in Warband, when isn't accurate and doesn't connect to Bannerlord at all. Multiplayer was hot when BL first released, and there's a reason for that. And it died for a reason, which had nothing to do with lack of interest. It isn't that there's only a handful of people interested in it, it is simply because MP is just that terrible. It's light years ahead of SP in terms of garbage quality.

Nice post, but you're wasting your time trying to educate these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom