Resolved [1.6.3] Ranged AI bug

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary:
Ranged AI is having trouble tracking targets and different types of troops have different behaviours, here is what I've noticed so far:

Horse Archers - When their target is at the HA left side and past the middle of its body, the HA will aim its bow all the way to the right. If the horse direction is adjusted and the angle to the target puts it at the front half then aiming resumes correctly, but it might let loose right after moving and the penalty will throw the aim off.

Foot soldiers with throwing weapons - If you order a foot soldier to move while in range of their throwing weapon, it will still aim and throw its weapon in the direction the body is facing. It seems to get the Y axis right, but the X will be wherever it is looking while moving.

Foot archers/crossbowman - Haven't tested those yet.

How to Reproduce:
Horse archers - It is observable in Custom Battles using any order that reproduces the summary, you can order the HA to charge and follow it.

Foot soldiers with throwing weapons - Observable in Custom Battles, order the troop to move in any direction that would make it face away from the enemy while still in range to use the throwing weapon.

Foot archers/crossbowman - No unusual behaviour has been observed yet.

I have noticed this too. It may be they are releasing thier shot instead of re-holstering (or whatever) when they are unable to aim at the enemy, or just some new fun bug. It's very easy to see with HA on fallow me. They will consistently turn the wrong way and fire an arrow while you bring them in a circle around enemies and I am sure there is no enemy in that direction. I have also noticed foot archers/xbow on charge seem to keep moving closer completely unnecessarily, in older version they would simple hold ground once in optimal range but now they keep moving up after each shot. I want them to fight up close but not pre-maturely, holding thier ground and fire fire fire is what they should do.

Could you capture a video of this issue?

@00:14 Jawwal throws the wrong way, @01:14 or so KG shoot the wrong way, others too but those are obvious examples.
Note for devs, probably want smoother formation for "fallow me" for HA or ranged Cav, we want them to face and fire on enemy constantly as we lead them, they did this better in older version but it seems to have been altered over time.

A simple way to reproduce the "AI throwing mess" is to get footsoldiers with throwing weapons in custom battle vs a bulk of infantry.

When they are starting the "throwing" animation, order "fall back". They'll start to fall back but will throw their weapons in the wrong direction.

sidenote : I think there is something wrong with the way "facing" is currently implemented. I.E. I've had issues when ordering a group to fall back and then order them to "stop", then ordering them to "face this direction", they didn't.

not sure if it can be reproduced but trying : fallback (they start to move backward whiles topping from time to time to face the ennemy), stop (they freeze in whatever position/direction they are), face direction : direction of ennemy formation (they might not face back the enemy as if they considered they were already in that direction). Not sure if that's systematic though.

So did they really pushed this patch to the stable branch wihout fixing this bug that was notified long ago while in beta? Really Taleworlds?

Back
Top Bottom