Poll: Why Does Bannerlord Still Feel Like it Lacks Personality and Soul?

Why Does Bannerlord Still Feel Like it Lacks Personality and Soul?

• Bannerlord's 'lore' is just uninspiring and bland

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • There simply isn't enough lore and story connected to the different factions and characters

Votes: 26 16.1%
  • It's down to the main quest - which is just plain bad

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • It's because of a lack of depth in game mechanics - and lack of 'functionality' in general

Votes: 105 65.2%
  • Progression style - you feel uninspired to put in the work to gain rewards - castles and towns etc

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • The game needs greatly enhanced diplomacy to give you a feeling of real power

Votes: 68 42.2%
  • Other

Votes: 14 8.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

On the topic of lore i would like someone to explain to me why do woman lead armies?

In warband the first thing the game tells you when you start a new champaign is the place of the woman in caladria and warband takes place 500 years after the events of bannerlord.

What happent?

On the topic of lore i would like someone to explain to me why do woman lead armies?

In warband the first thing the game tells you when you start a new champaign is the place of the woman in caladria and warband takes place 500 years after the events of bannerlord.

What happent?
Because we live in the modern age, the game is made for a modern audience. Women should feel welcome to play this game as well, and to be able to do whatever a man is.

Because we live in the modern age, the game is made for a modern audience. Women should feel welcome to play this game as well, and to be able to do whatever a man is.
So you are telling me that its not better to be able to play as a woman in a man ruled world and literally kick their asses?

Also modern age should not be considered in a game about MEDIEVAL age

There's no uniqueness to the factions, map or characters

factions banners are a single colour with a stupid symbol

faction armours are uniformed and coloured like we're idiots who can't tell who are troops are

I don't even know the faction leaders names

Random crap lore like the 8 pieces of a dragon banner or something

MP feels like it was designed for a microtransaction scheme only

I'll never understand why they didn't take a page from one of the GOT mods on Warband and add discoverable and visitable historic landmarks to the map, it would've been perfect for lore and something other to do on the map. Waste of the scene tools as well.

Yeah, we should all smash our computers and pretend to be playing Bannerlord, modern stuff shouldn't be considered in a MEDIEVAL age. :wink:
You are missing the point. The whole point about playing a GAME especially an RPG is to get away from the real world and immerse your self into this fantasy.

If warband was the same as bannerlord i wouldn't have a problem with it at all but right now it is just odd.

By the way they could do something cool about this.
How about removing the ability for AI woman to commant an army in every culture except Empire. We know that the Empire is destoyed so it will make sense for the future (warband) to be no woman commanters because the "barbarians" that destroyed the empire enforced that.

I'll never understand why they didn't take a page from one of the GOT mods on Warband and add discoverable and visitable historic landmarks to the map, it would've been perfect for lore and something other to do on the map. Waste of the scene tools as well.
Dude that would be so cool.

You are missing the point. The whole point about playing a GAME especially an RPG is to get away from the real world and immerse your self into this fantasy.

If warband was the same as bannerlord i wouldn't have a problem with it at all but right now it is just odd.

By the way they could do something cool about this.
How about removing the ability for AI woman to commant an army in every culture except Empire. We know that the Empire is destoyed so it will make sense for the future (warband) to be no woman commanters because the "barbarians" that destroyed the empire enforced that.
I'm not missing the point. As I said before, to answer your question, the game is made for a modern audience. That means less hassle for women to do stuff in-game.

Sure, some women who want to play women may have appreciated the added challenge of a sexist in-game world, maybe even a majority? I don't know. All I know is that is not how the game is designed.
In my opinion, it is good, because it perhaps allows more women to be able to enjoy the game. And immerse themselves into this fantasy, as you said.

It's a large assortment of reasons, but majorly, it's due to the lack of depth to game mechanics. It does a lot better than Warband, such as larger scale battle capacities, graphics etc, but it doesn't shine in the same way because things like economy, crafting, quests, companions, npcs, marriage, diplomacy. It could be argued that it lacks right now due to them trying to get the base game operable without constant performance problems or bugs, but it's been a year so I don't know how far one could carry that argument.

All the above to varying degrees. It will never come close to LOTR or GOT for examples, but it's just a simple game. Mods is where the depth / variety will be added. To become closer to WB.

There's little suspension of disbelief. The game mechanics are constantly and transparently thrown at our faces
I find it incredibly hard to project any imagined narrative in the game, because every single interaction is repetitive, numeric and bland
- Too little flavor dialogue lines
- Cultures look different, but are essentially the same. Same dialogues, same quests, same AI behavior in campaign and battles, same looters everywhere. Things that could change that like tournaments and policies aren't different enough to have any impact
- There's none to a negligible amount of passive interaction. We can literally wait out in a castle for years until our character dies. Relations are a simple number
- Quests are unenjoyable and feel like little chores for rep/gold farming

(btw wanted to vote everything, but we can only choose 2 options...)

Main quest is full of weird stuff that doesn't really fit, and I am not even talking about the first part of going around asking people for a history lesson. Who the hell thought it would be nice adding stupid tasks like hunting packs of bandits or chasing caravans on the other side of the map while trying to manage a kingdom? Oh and if you decide to ignore the quests then everyone will declare war on you at the same time, Vlandia/Khuzaits won't give two ****s that you are on the other side of the map and they can't get to you without starving.

As for the lack of features, there is this huge imbalance, you can have fun playing until you get to the point of joining a kingdom or creating your own, from that point on all you will be doing is running around trying to put out fires. Battles get old really fast when the heroes you defeated come back 2 days later with a full party while you couldn't even offload all the loot you got from the previous battle.

IMO there is also too much that looks like placeholders that I don't think they will take the time to polish, look at how many banners have their shapes bugged, stuff overlapping, stuff pixalated, the awful decision of making every clan use a single color scheme...

That's probably also the reason why it's a terrible experience, it's something for a modern audience. Also, why would you think women weren't feeling welcome playing Warband? It was slightly more challenging and with a lot of unique interactions when played with a female character.
I'm sure the 15 female players who are into Bannerlord would probably prefer something less absurd given the setting and would also prefer not being mollycoddled. Imagine pregnant medieval ladies having a miscarriage after taking a blow during a battle, so empowering!

I enjoyed the harsh challenge of playing a female, as a female, in Warband. It made your victories feel earned in a way playing a male character couldn't, because while everyone else was a sexist garbage pile of human waste or made snide remarks to you, you were out there humiliating them.

I don't particularly like being told what I should like or not in any fashion, not even in video games. It's funny how all of these things are supposedly being done "for" us but then people go on assumptions or demands or expectations about what we should be doing or what we should be liking. I want the realism back in the game, because removing it just makes it seem like its being done to cover up/hide even a small dot of what women had to endure throughout history, and not because it is "better" for us.

Playing a female was easier in Warband.

Anyway, Bannerlord is both harder and a much larger gameworld so the player doesn't have nearly as much impact anywhere. It was easy to feel like companions mattered when they got six or seven kills in a total battle size of 250. But in a battle of 2500 (two armies) that barely even registers. The same with other impacts the player might have, personal impact is limited when your kingdom can probably put, at any time, three thousand troops into armies.

Last edited:
Because it does, lmao?
How ****ing hard would it be to give an intern an hour of time to write up some ****ing lore that isn't just "yeah all these factions we're including in this one conflict to not leave anyone out are all fighting for some reason idk"

Because it does, lmao?
How ****ing hard would it be to give an intern an hour of time to write up some ****ing lore that isn't just "yeah all these factions we're including in this one conflict to not leave anyone out are all fighting for some reason idk"
I know! The whole thing about this "battle of Pendraic" is just SO obviously thought up and written in 5 minutes.

It just feels like very lazily created lore.

Back
Top Bottom