Actually managing villages is there any hope?

Users who are viewing this thread

map_siege_screen2_logo.png

From DEV blog 11
"A village with a castle is naturally much more defensible, but the slot is sacrificed that might have been used for something valuable like a salt mine. All of these are reflected on the world map as well, as can be seen in the video.

What's really interesting is that AI Lords start new projects and modify their villages over time, just like the player. So during a long playthrough, the face of the map and nature of various settlements can change significantly, in ways that are fully dependent on the current economic and political situation of the NPCs and their factions.

By assigning the work allocation of the village, you can adjust how fast projects are completed, as well as the tax and militia levy from villages. Though all of this has an effect on morale and neglecting your peasants can lead to serious complications in the long term."

This is one of many great promised features that has just disappeared without a trace.

I couldn't find any reasons why or comments on it after first release.

In my opinion it would bring a lot more to the game other than the current static villages model. @Callum @Dejan should I ever get my hopes up of this specif feature coming to the game?

I think it might have been scrapped due to how many different scenes that would need to be made. It would have been a cool feature, but a costly one when it comes to development time.

What we have now with castles upgrading their walls is another feature, but it is barely noticeable sometimes. It would be cool to have something to build up and see a difference.

Edit:
In the end, you would just build it up to max, and then what? It would be just another town or castle. What would be really cool would be the ability to completely raze a village/castle/town and for factions to be able to build new ones.

I think it might have been scrapped due to how many different scenes that would need to be made. It would have been a cool feature, but a costly one when it comes to development time.
TW said they scrapped it cause it was getting too confusing for the AI, rules like where is more beneficial to build a castle of focus on economy, changing situations when borders expanded or shrunk, things like losing the city which the village was attached to like would the village go with it? if it has a castle no, then what if the castle was destroyed etc

Honestly they could have managed it with a bit more development time to fix these kinks, this system was Mexxico's design but he said that in one of their meetings the management decided to scrap it and chose another model that was simpler (even more so than warband's one) so there was no point in beating a dead horse on this case.

map_siege_screen2_logo.png

From DEV blog 11
"A village with a castle is naturally much more defensible, but the slot is sacrificed that might have been used for something valuable like a salt mine. All of these are reflected on the world map as well, as can be seen in the video.

What's really interesting is that AI Lords start new projects and modify their villages over time, just like the player. So during a long playthrough, the face of the map and nature of various settlements can change significantly, in ways that are fully dependent on the current economic and political situation of the NPCs and their factions.

By assigning the work allocation of the village, you can adjust how fast projects are completed, as well as the tax and militia levy from villages. Though all of this has an effect on morale and neglecting your peasants can lead to serious complications in the long term."

This is one of many great promised features that has just disappeared without a trace.

In my opinion it would bring a lot more to the game other than the current static villages model. @Callum @Dejan should I ever get my hopes up of this specif feature coming to the game?
I want 2016 BL

Imagine if castles did something and you could build them. That would be so rewarding to just have you land completely guarded, mowing down and enemies that came near with ballista and other ranged weapons, actually protecting villages, not letting AI just walk by and do whatever.

I’m glad I found this thread. +1 to upgraded villages and even castle bastions.
How many times will a village let itself get raided over and over until they or their Lord finally says: let’s build some defenses.

The militia becomes useless as the game marches on. The village never gets better at strategies for defending itself it never builds moats or towers or keeps.

plus granting a village as a fief would increase the level of hierarchy of Lords. Fathers and mothers can grant their children control over said fief.

This would be a sick feature.

You missed it. They announced castle building in villages was cut years ago

Two years ago.

Can we still build castles in villages we own?
We had to drop that feature. At some point in development, fief management became too complex, with towns, castles and villages each having their own specific management screens. The ability to build castles in villages also gave rise to complex rules. For example, demolishing the castle in a village could potentially revert the village to another kingdom and we had to add complex logic to handle that. Overall, we felt that the design had become too bloated and unappealing.

The solution was changing the status of villages so that they would no longer be considered independent fiefs but were always attached to a castle or town. This removed the necessity to have a management screen for villages and simplified and streamlined the system. The aesthetics of our new villages is also much more pleasing.

I get why they dropped building a custom castle anywhere on the map. What I don't get is why they had to take that to the extreme and dumb it down to the way it is now. But then I just don't get them so it's alright.

I’m glad I found this thread. +1 to upgraded villages and even castle bastions.
How many times will a village let itself get raided over and over until they or their Lord finally says: let’s build some defenses.

The militia becomes useless as the game marches on. The village never gets better at strategies for defending itself it never builds moats or towers or keeps.

plus granting a village as a fief would increase the level of hierarchy of Lords. Fathers and mothers can grant their children control over said fief.

This would be a sick feature.

Yeah, villages are sitting ducks.. I have 3 towns, miles apart from eachother and I gave up defending the villages entirely. They're sitting dicks and I cant be arsed to defend them, would be a waste of time since I have to carry the 19 clans in my kingdom to victory.

Having the Governor of my town be able to ride out with the garrison to defend his own village would be cool but ah well..

EDIT: I added it as a suggestion, I'm interested if its wanted/feasible, let me know please.

Last edited:
I get why they dropped building a custom castle anywhere on the map. What I don't get is why they had to take that to the extreme and dumb it down to the way it is now. But then I just don't get them so it's alright.
The old system looked good. They could at least leave a merged castle+village, so the village could protect itself. Right now castles don't make any sense, because they never protect a village (as they should do). Villages are opened to everyone who's villing to kill and steal and a castle just stands there.

Well, they said they didn't want to spend a bunch of time dealing with dumb edge cases and apparently that is (according to other, non-TW, devs) the majority of design work and bug fixing? Like, I'm not a game dev, but if a feature is going to cost you 10,000 man-hours + ongoing maintenance (whatever the proper term in coder language is) or something stupid as hell like that, from a project management standpoint I'd be looking real hard at what benefits it brings.

I wish castles wall upgrades were significant, a citadel should be almost impenetrable with a decent garrison with less attack options for the sieging army. The Empire should have much better defensive settlements imo, maybe a capital like Constantinople with almost impossible walls to take by force.

Back
Top Bottom