How many battles do you lose?

In your typical playthrough, how often do you lose major battles?

• 0% of the time. (Never)

Votes: 38 29.5%
  • 1-3%

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • 4-10%

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • 11-15%

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • 16-25%

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • 26-33%

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 34-50%

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 51% or higher.

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello ?:xf-smile:
I think that the question of this thread should be paired with a difficulty level. Like:
"In your typical playthrough, how often do you lose major battles in Bannerlord difficulty?" (or something else)

A player that is not greedy will never fight a major battle that is not in his favor. So he will always win. A greedy player like me lose many battles as I'm always trying to win an unwinnable battles ?
Jokes apart, speaking about battles and pushing your limits, @CaptainFracas (French streamer) shared an epic battle that IMO worth watching.

Thank you for sharing the video :xf-smile: (y)

I've watched the battle, absolutely stunning, he disabled the banner symbol flying over their heads, creates immersion comparable with that of film. Is it a mod he uses to create the troop lines? He swipes them into position, it seems.
I'm not using any mod in this video and the banners are not disabled but at 0.15 of opacity. ?

To tell my troops the direction to face I'm using the click and drag method 98% of the time.

I think that the question of this thread should be paired with a difficulty level. Like:
"In your typical playthrough, how often do you lose major battles in Bannerlord difficulty?" (or something else)
It wasn't meant to be a question of skill but figuring out how much pain players are willing to face. People who really don't like losing can turn down the difficulty and that's fine.

A player that is not greedy will never fight a major battle that is not in his favor. So he will always win. A greedy player like me lose many battles as I'm always trying to win an unwinnable battles
I've definitely tested my limits, but the reality is that in this game without cheating it's a ***** of a grind to train your troops and i do not enjoy that part nearly as much as the battles. so it only makes sense after a while for me to only pick the battles i'll win in order to preserve my forces and keep fighting battles instead of having to grind for troops

after well over 1k hours in this game. "realistic" is easy difficulty for me. i'm more than happy to impart the many tricks i've acquired to winning battles.
250 vs 700 on realistic, they either must have 80% low tier and your party is all elites or something doesn't add up. I saw you said they were mostly recruits so i guess that makes sense, the party that joined you must have been a good one too.

the party that joined you must have been a good one too.
they definitely had better troops since our opponents have all been defeated before they brought their reserves and new recruits.

but mainly i used my allie as meatshield. and pivoted around them, putting them between my army and the enemies. i had a lot of ranged units. and i used hold fire appropriately to not waste ammo. the result is that i barely lost infantry and a few cavs to wipe the enemy. my allie's troops all went down. but at least more than half survived as wounded and nobody got imprisoned.

they definitely had better troops since our opponents have all been defeated before they brought their reserves and new recruits.

but mainly i used my allie as meatshield. and pivoted around them, putting them between my army and the enemies. i had a lot of ranged units. and i used hold fire appropriately to not waste ammo. the result is that i barely lost infantry and a few cavs to wipe the enemy. my allie's troops all went down. but at least more than half survived as wounded and nobody got imprisoned.
That's smart!
I need to use hold fire more often

It wasn't meant to be a question of skill but figuring out how much pain players are willing to face. People who really don't like losing can turn down the difficulty and that's fine.
I'll admit, my difficulty settings are always maxed out except for one: Map movement speed.
Probably not the only one who does that, but **** it, gotta be fast. ?

My opinion is that bannerlord balance is too broken and that it's too easy to game fights to make powergaming interesting for me.

I prefer to play 'Role Play' style games and knowingly take losing battles to create a fun narrative.

I don't often do playthroughs anymore for conquest, but during them I don't often lose due to focusing more on winning. The last few hundred hours I usually pick a gimmick for a character and join AI armies so losing happens quite a bit more

I only ever lost field battles against ambushes. When helping allies besiege a settlement. The enemy will charge in with large forces. The ally will then pull a France and book it leaving you to try to quickly pause the game and move away before the 500+ nobles tears you a new one against your 120. All those heavy soldiers, the cavalry, the horse archers especially with Empire/Khuzait will lead to immediate eradication. Its suicide.
That's the only time I ever lose.

I'll admit, my difficulty settings are always maxed out except for one: Map movement speed.
Probably not the only one who does that, but **** it, gotta be fast. ?
All realistic except for player received dmg. I wear the heaviest armor i can find for me and my horse and I save scum the most when I get one shot while riding around in a major battle. That's the only real time I ever take a loss. Without me commanding the action my men rush in for the slaughter, so I have to keep them restrained and organized. It's infuriating to get picked off by one arrow by some tier 2 archer while i'm practically in plate armor.

For clarity, I'm not referring to looter farming, bandit sweeps, caravan attacks, village raids or sieges. I mean major field battles: your party or army against another force potentially strong enough to defeat you.
I lost 3 (non-bandit, non-solo) major battles in 200+ hours of playtime.

One was a defensive siege I hoped I could win with some luck. Got a crossbow bolt in the noggin' before I could even throw a bomb down the walls, the AI spaced out and my men took positions in the courtyard, for... some reason. Still close though, 24 enemies left at the end.

The second was a major field battle I joined when it was very even, 1200 versus 1000. For some reason the guy in command decided it would have been a very good idea to ignore the conveniently places steep hills and form a huge CIRCLE OF DEATH in the middle of a plain field. We got absolutely massacred by archers - most of our troops were also archers but they just wouldn't and couldn't shoot from inside that circle.

The third one was even stupider but on my part, not the game's. Attacked a large Khuzait army in the desert. I had 240 men, they had something like 220. Was pretty sure it would have been an easy win. Then I realized (don't ask my how that's even possible) that 80 percent of their men were Khan's Guards. I had a decent army, mostly tier 3/4, but just a small amount of cavalry and the field was completely flat. My archers were massacred and my shield wall could just stand there and watch until they either lost their shields or got shot in the back. That's also the only battle I lost because of a mistake and not because of some stupid bug.

*Edit. All on realistic.

I lost 3 (non-bandit, non-solo) major battles in 200+ hours of playtime.

One was a defensive siege I hoped I could win with some luck. Got a crossbow bolt in the noggin' before I could even throw a bomb down the walls, the AI spaced out and my men took positions in the courtyard, for... some reason. Still close though, 24 enemies left at the end.

The second was a major field battle I joined when it was very even, 1200 versus 1000. For some reason the guy in command decided it would have been a very good idea to ignore the conveniently places steep hills and form a huge CIRCLE OF DEATH in the middle of a plain field. We got absolutely massacred by archers - most of our troops were also archers but they just wouldn't and couldn't shoot from inside that circle.

The third one was even stupider but on my part, not the game's. Attacked a large Khuzait army in the desert. I had 240 men, they had something like 220. Was pretty sure it would have been an easy win. Then I realized (don't ask my how that's even possible) that 80 percent of their men were Khan's Guards. I had a decent army, mostly tier 3/4, but just a small amount of cavalry and the field was completely flat. My archers were massacred and my shield wall could just stand there and watch until they either lost their shields or got shot in the back. That's also the only battle I lost because of a mistake and not because of some stupid bug.

*Edit. All on realistic.
Nice battle stories!
I play a lot as a mercenary and like to jump in random good fights but I hate it when ally lords decide to form a "circle of death" in the middle of an open field...
Never tried but maybe "accidently" headshoting the ally commander would force the troops to adopt a new formation...

This is why I kill them first, or imprison them and take all land if not killing. Khuzait too good to live!
That's a good strategy. Maybe even grab a Khuzait spouse and bring a lot of little Genghis into Calradia while you're at it!
Nice battle stories!
I play a lot as a mercenary and like to jump in random good fights but I hate it when ally lords decide to form a "circle of death" in the middle of an open field...
Never tried but maybe "accidently" headshoting the ally commander would force the troops to adopt a new formation...
Thanks! Also, I legitimately didn't know knocking out the ally commander would break the formation, I will surely try next time I find myself in that situation!

The new Beta seems to have broken the defending Siege AI, I just defended a town from a siege and got over 100 kills but my troops kept falling off the walls and generally standing in blobs and walking forward so we lost. I reloaded and Autoresolved and the enemy army was crushed....this game is a joke

The new Beta seems to have broken the defending Siege AI, I just defended a town from a siege and got over 100 kills but my troops kept falling off the walls and generally standing in blobs and walking forward so we lost. I reloaded and Autoresolved and the enemy army was crushed....this game is a joke
Wow, more broken than it was before? I have to jump in right away and see how stupid they are with my own two eyes! Benny Hill's music and I'm set.

It depends on specific scenes.

Also, autoresolve is brutal on siege attackers, so any battle that is remotely close when played live will be an absolute curbstomp in autocalc.

Ok, you told not vs looters.
Actually it's the only ones vs who I lose, in the starting game, when overburdened and cannot escape :wink:

For the rest of the battles, I avoid hopeless battles, just common sense in fact.
So except an improper handling of my mouse leading to an unwanted battle :smile:

Trying to outnumber the ennemy so as to have reduced casualties.
Trying to "choose" maps with a good visibility so as to give proper orders of placement, etc.

Back
Top Bottom