Question: Contested/Devastated Towns in Rebelion Loop

Users who are viewing this thread

For a bit of context: Ortysia is contested by Aserai, Vlandia, & The Western Empire. It's changed hands and rebelled several times that all infrastructure (yes, all, including the walls) is down to level one.
No faction can hold it long enough before it rebels in their face. And the revels can't really thrive if three factions are trying to take hold.
No one can hold it long enough to build up infrastructure. And it usually gets raided once it gets retaken.

Any idea/suggestion on what to do with seemingly deadlock situation?

For a bit of context: Ortysia is contested by Aserai, Vlandia, & The Western Empire. It's changed hands and rebelled several times that all infrastructure (yes, all, including the walls) is down to level one.
No faction can hold it long enough before it rebels in their face. And the revels can't really thrive if three factions are trying to take hold.
No one can hold it long enough to build up infrastructure. And it usually gets raided once it gets retaken.

I just captured that city and i totally understand why they would be hard on on taking it, it has a gorgeous view of the sea and sweet silver mine right next to it, the desert town look so yummy from there too :p
38iqvl.png

The level 200 perk in Charm (+10 loyalty), well if you have it :smile:
Ortysia's one of my prefered towns :smile:

Several things you can do as the player:
  1. Just sit your part in the town. That prevents rebellion entirely, no matter what.
  2. Either place or donate a huge garrison. Rebellions only happen when the militia is more powerful (numbers + tier) than the garrison.
  3. Parade perk in an owned settlement. +5 Loyalty per day gets you out of the danger zone pretty quickly.
  4. Festival and Games daily improvement for more loyalty gain. Also takes advantage of your bonus construction money without actually spending it.
  5. Same culture governor + governor perks for bonus loyalty.

Several things you can do as the player:
  1. Just sit your part in the town. That prevents rebellion entirely, no matter what.
  2. Either place or donate a huge garrison. Rebellions only happen when the militia is more powerful (numbers + tier) than the garrison.
  3. Parade perk in an owned settlement. +5 Loyalty per day gets you out of the danger zone pretty quickly.
  4. Festival and Games daily improvement for more loyalty gain. Also takes advantage of your bonus construction money without actually spending it.
  5. Same culture governor + governor perks for bonus loyalty.
Thanks for the info.
I kind of regret not leveling my charm now. Also does the "Parade" perk also affect settlements that don't belong to you? Cause the perk says "When you visit your own settlements". I forgot to mention that I don't have ownership of the town...

Don't ignore security too. High security usually tips loyalty over into positive loyalty - and many of the security village quests are useful to do.

There's also a governor perk that adds security bonus for mounted garrison units, and down the track you'll get a constant loyalty buff for high security (You'll get the reassuring daily notice in the news feed).

I find that Varcheg, Husn Fulq, Sargot, Onira, Lageta are always switching over and over, so when I am starting out, I am hovering over them like a bad smell.

In my current Sturgian campaign, I sniped Rebel Varcheg for myself as an independent really early on - then the endless Battania/Sturgia war switched to Omor, which looks like rebelling soon. This will be my new kingdom pathway.

How do you even level a companion to that level? I have a hard time leveling their social skills.

Find a high charm companion early on and park them in a city somewhere. They'll get their leery on and drunkenly level up all on their own while sitting in the pub day after day - although I wouldn't consider Charm to be an easy early game trait to build for anyone but the main character.

Last edited:

Take it your self while not being at war with anyone or in a faction. You may need to do it twice if it's in really bad shape OR get on it as soon as the rebels spawn to be able take advantage of the full granary and 100 loyalty they get when they spawn. Obviously don't devastate it. Sell food to the sore, give it governor of matching culture, put in 100 t3 units (or so) for security/cost/food balance, run daily festival, do quests and clear hideouts near bye, build orchards1 and then granary 1, but turn it off before loyalty falls below 25! You can always fix something on your own, but I have had a situation where it was best to let the rebels spawn (again) to boost food and loyalty to be able to get orchards finished before loyalty dropped, to finally get the town evened out. If you're a vassal you can have a harder time benefiting from the refilled loyalty and granary of the rebels, because it takes longer for them to give you the town and of course they might not want to give it to you.

If you mean for AI x AI, not much you can do because the AI being deadlocked is part of the anti-snowballing design.
It would be good for AI to spend more time maintaining fiefs and thier stats and less time raiding and joining armies, but..."fast paced action" ;/

If you mean for AI x AI, not much you can do because the AI being deadlocked is part of the anti-snowballing design.
It would be good for AI to spend more time maintaining fiefs and thier stats and less time raiding and joining armies, but..."fast paced action" ;/
Yeah I'm starting to realize it at this point that no matter what I do, sell food, solve town issues, etc. even if security is decentand they're not starving. The town is going to rebel at some time all because the A.I. is handling it..

Yeah I'm starting to realize it at this point that no matter what I do, sell food, solve town issues, etc. even if security is decent and they're not starving. The town is going to rebel at some time all because the A.I. is handling it..
If you belong to the faction check if you can pass the forgiveness of debts policy, it should help. Grazing rights and trial by jury will help too but only if food and security are stable, other wise their drawbacks can harm.

If you belong to the faction check if you can pass the forgiveness of debts policy, it should help. Grazing rights and trial by jury will help too but only if food and security are stable, other wise their drawbacks can harm
The chance to have forgiveness of debt and trial by jury and the other loyalty policies was my main reason why i started my own Sultanate :smile:
The Ai hates any law that would touch their precious dinars.

Some good stuff in this post. As far as leveling up your charm skills, there are a number of actions will add to that as well. Others can comment, but I 'think' things like joining a battle your faction is going to win will help your charm. Obviously doing some quests. Some of them can be pretty quick and can even be done in war.

How do you even level a companion to that level? I have a hard time leveling their social skills
To level a companion Charm, you have to let him in a town (in the UI, when you are in a town, the small cross up right the screen), as an emissiary, but you have to chose well the companion - with enough Social - which means, since the wanderers have not often too much in Charm, probably your wife or your brother's one; or even your brother himself (since now you can dispatch his attribute / focus points). - and I think that furthermore, our brother starts with 120 (or is it 160? do not remember) Charm.

Also, indeed it can sometimes take time for emissary companions to level the skill, especially if they are low on this one. Not sure about how the Charm system works, but out of my own experience, I'd say that the emissary will interract with notables and lords who are awaiting in a town, most notables have around 100 or + Charm, so if the companion has more than 100 charm he/she is more likely to win barters and level his/her charm. I don't think succedding in barters is required to level charm up, but it's quicker.

I think there is a wanderer type whith skills in healind AND also in charm, but I don't remember his/her description, and I think he/she starts with 60 or 80, maybe 120 (to be checked) in Charm.

Also honestly I'm using a character editor (Character Manager) which allows me to redistribute Attribute / Focus / Perks points, so for example I increase his/her social to at least 5, with 5 focus points in Charm. Obviously the more early in the game is the best to have that 200 perk level the earlier too.

Back
Top Bottom