Do you use the Realistic Battle mod? (poll)

Do you use the Realistic Battle mod?

• Yes, but just with the combat & unit overhaul module

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I got some vacation time and decided to give Bannerlord another go, I also decided to give RBM a try since I've seen so many people talk about it and how they thought it made the game so much better.

I've ignored the mod so far because I associated it with some posts that wanted to make armor like it was in Warband. What I liked about Bannerlord was that everything could be deadly, even if a lot of things seemed silly, like a sword killing a cataphract with two or three hits but at the same time there was no completely safe combat since even looters could f you up and I didn't want something that could take it away, but boy was I wrong...

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying RBM has that purpose or anything like that, it is just that I thought it did, but it actually made combat deadlier in a much better way. If a character is wearing simple clothes or light leather armor everything is a potential one shot, there is no more looters taking 3 40dmg hits and armored characters are much harder to take down and they fight better, it is not a matter of who hits who first, but who can outlast who. The gap between higher tiers and lower tiers is much more evident as well, which is something I wanted, and it was amazing seeing two formations clashing for longer than 15 seconds and ending up with just 10-15 bloodied tier 5 troops left fighting to the death with piles of lower tier bodies around them. (Special thanks to "Raise you banner" for the extra eye candy with each side bearing their colors, it made the scene a thousand times better).

RBM has become essential for my enjoyment of Bannerlord and I am curious of how many feel this way and maybe convince people that never tried it to give it a shot.

I tried it but I didn't like it because there was some goofy stuff going on with the AI -- cav hanging back against a huge mass of vulnerable crossbowmen that were absolutely reaving their front line -- and it made really big battles and sieges drag out for too long 30-45ish minutes. I might have to fight five of those battles to take one town or ten of them in a row to grind down a certain faction's strength, so yeah...

Yes I consider it one of the most important mods for Bannerlord and absolutely essential.

Armor in this game is currently paper thin. It doesn't have nearly as much effect as I would like to see. RBM changes that. It also gives higher tier troops the survivability they deserve. I love that enemies can be harder to kill and it can make killing an enemy lord or tier 6 feel like a small achievement.

It's one challenge is making it play with other mods, especially those that have to introduce compatibility patches. For example, another mod I use called Eagle Rising doesn't have one (at time of this writing although the mod devs plan to someday).

Drastic Battle Mod is one alternative - it is a bit more conservative in its design changes, so it does not modify as much. This can make it more compatible with other mods. Like RBM, DBM aims to improve armor and combat mechanics. However, between the two, I prefer RBM, as the stat tweaks are more realistic. I can only hope that more mods release patches. One concern though is games with magic - I'm not sure how it will ever be truly compatible.

Realistic Battle Mod is something so good that I wish it were in the stock game.

For me, it is essential.

Having had the game ready and installed since the first day of release (Thanks Taleworlds) I can say to this day that I have not yet carried out any deep campaign due to the lack of options that the game offers in the middle and late stages. Most of my in-game time has been spent on modding and testing.

That said, when I do play (less and less due to the snail's pace of development, questionable decisions, non-implementation of essentials, etc...) I play with RBM. I think the guys from RBM have managed to improve a part of the combat system by balancing the damage/protection ratio and adjusting AI behaviours (living space, formation cohesion, etc...) that fits very well with the kind of game I'm interested in playing.

giphy.gif

I tried it, but just did not like it for some reason. This was way back though, so maybe it has been improved. May try it again sometime.

I did like the volunteers up submod if it came from the battle mod that is, can't remember. That submod basically made all recruits one tier up. So you got infantry with shields and basic archers. Very good and cool, you didn't need to fight recruit armies all the time.

I tried it but I didn't like it because there was some goofy stuff going on with the AI -- cav hanging back against a huge mass of vulnerable crossbowmen that were absolutely reaving their front line -- and it made really big battles and sieges drag out for too long 30-45ish minutes. I might have to fight five of those battles to take one town or ten of them in a row to grind down a certain faction's strength, so yeah...

I've been using their AI module and it hasn't happened to me yet, cavalry can be really annoying because they keep trampling and harassing my ranged troops, maybe it was a problem in earlier versions.

It's one challenge is making it play with other mods, especially those that have to introduce compatibility patches. For example, another mod I use called Eagle Rising doesn't have one (at time of this writing although the mod devs plan to someday).

I haven't been using anything that would really put it to the test, just some small quality of life and nice to have mods, like Custom Troops and Raise your banner.

I don't really see it working with overhaul mods like Eagle Rising or other upcoming mods, but with the change from Warband, allowing us to load multiple mods, we might just see people do sub mods or even tweak stuff ourselves without having to alter the mod files directly.

Edit: If I remember correctly, the RBM page in nexus has a screenshot of a spreadsheet they used as a reference for balancing armor values, in theory, the same could be applied to other mods in order to create a similar result

I've tried it in earlier playthroughs but I currently play without it as I'm not really sure what the added benefit is.

The three things that really did it for me were armors doing something other than just looking cool, a wider gap between troop tiers with improved skill and equipment that helps then deliver the investment in time and money it took to train them, and cavalry is worth the horse they require.

They do change other things, and I would recommend checking it out on nexus or some other provider.

I got some vacation time and decided to give Bannerlord another go, I also decided to give RBM a try since I've seen so many people talk about it and how they thought it made the game so much better.

I've ignored the mod so far because I associated it with some posts that wanted to make armor like it was in Warband. What I liked about Bannerlord was that everything could be deadly, even if a lot of things seemed silly, like a sword killing a cataphract with two or three hits but at the same time there was no completely safe combat since even looters could f you up and I didn't want something that could take it away, but boy was I wrong...

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying RBM has that purpose or anything like that, it is just that I thought it did, but it actually made combat deadlier in a much better way. If a character is wearing simple clothes or light leather armor everything is a potential one shot, there is no more looters taking 3 40dmg hits and armored characters are much harder to take down and they fight better, it is not a matter of who hits who first, but who can outlast who. The gap between higher tiers and lower tiers is much more evident as well, which is something I wanted, and it was amazing seeing two formations clashing for longer than 15 seconds and ending up with just 10-15 bloodied tier 5 troops left fighting to the death with piles of lower tier bodies around them. (Special thanks to "Raise you banner" for the extra eye candy with each side bearing their colors, it made the scene a thousand times better).

RBM has become essential for my enjoyment of Bannerlord and I am curious of how many feel this way and maybe convince people that never tried it to give it a shot.
yes its more exciting, but it will affect on your gaming experience
Here's why, in most battle, it's better for you to stay alive and control your troops, instead of you fight and die , then AI take control your troops and suffer more loss and casualty

so in many battles, I try not to eagerly kill enemy and got kill by random attack, I would just sit on side line and commanding my troops, this make this game so boring,
you are supposed to "mount and blade enemy", not "sit and watch battle"

so for me, the reality mod will hurt gaming experience so much

yes its more exciting, but it will affect on your gaming experience
Here's why, in most battle, it's better for you to stay alive and control your troops, instead of you fight and die , then AI take control your troops and suffer more loss and casualty

so in many battles, I try not to eagerly kill enemy and got kill by random attack, I would just sit on side line and commanding my troops, this make this game so boring,
you are supposed to "mount and blade enemy", not "sit and watch battle"

so for me, the reality mod will hurt gaming experience so much

For me it was the other way around, without the mod pretty much anything can take a good chunk of your HP, so I would stay back and take kills of opportunity, like a lone rider trying to have a go at my ranged.

With the mod, after you get good armor you can take hits and still have plenty of HP to take risks, so I ended being more aggressive in battle, going after enemy cavalry with my cavalry, crashing at the back of the enemy infantry and trampling ranged troops.

Crashing into enemy infantry was really a no-no as your horse would die and you would follow it soon after, maybe even before, but with RBM, I can finally be the cataphract I was meant to be. :lol:

It's absolutely essential to me, it does such an amazing rework in all aspects of combat and tactics that i really can't imagine the game without it anymore.

Some things worked a bit wonky in older versions of the mod but the author has fixed any thing i could find wrong with the mod and his recent improvements to formations are beyond amazing, shieldwalls in vanilla are completely trash since the units don't know how to fight in formation but in RBM they do and a shieldwall can hold for a long time against charging enemies because they know how to keep behind their shields and only attack when an opportunity arises.

The equipment rework is also essential to me, vanilla is completely bonkers with armor values that don't match at all the appearance of the gear, some fur piece giving you amazing protection while a piece of steel gives nothing and things like that.

RBM reworked all armor values taking in consideration not only their game-tier but the visuals, if it shows chainmail over a gambeson for example it will protect much better than a leather jerkin and things like that.

No, I have not. I would have to be an idiot to install mods on ths game while it is still in EA. I have better things to do than deal with the crashes when the modders do not update their mods and the mod crashes after every update.

Last edited:
No, I have not. I would have to be an idiot to install mods on ths game while it is still in EA. I have better things than deal with the crashes when the modders do not update their mods and the mod crashes after every update.
This is a terrible argument for not using mods. You can select which version of the game you want to play on via steam and never update.

This is a terrible argument for not using mods. You can select which version of the game you want to play on via steam and never update.
And why would I want to play on an older version of the game? I play current main line with no mods on a decent but not spectacular laptop, and it's pretty much crash free and low maintenance.

I'll fiddle with mods once the game is out of EA and not having mod-breaking updates all the time. I want the Marry Anyone mod so I can marry Rancid Gertie. She's hot.

And why would I want to play on an older version of the game? I play current main line with no mods on a decent but not spectacular laptop, and it's pretty much crash free and low maintenance.

I'll fiddle with mods once the game is out of EA and not having mod-breaking updates all the time. I want the Marry Anyone mod so I can marry Rancid Gertie. She's hot.
If you think that the game will be stable update-wise after the release, then I got news for you...

For me it was the other way around, without the mod pretty much anything can take a good chunk of your HP, so I would stay back and take kills of opportunity, like a lone rider trying to have a go at my ranged.

With the mod, after you get good armor you can take hits and still have plenty of HP to take risks, so I ended being more aggressive in battle, going after enemy cavalry with my cavalry, crashing at the back of the enemy infantry and trampling ranged troops.

Crashing into enemy infantry was really a no-no as your horse would die and you would follow it soon after, maybe even before, but with RBM, I can finally be the cataphract I was meant to be. :lol:
nice ,thanks for the info
I will try that mode

yeah without mod this game is really sucks, you will get arrow shot out of no where and got killed
pretty realistic like real battle field, but then it lose purpose of gaming experience

If you think that the game will be stable update-wise after the release, then I got news for you...
If it's not, then I won't be using any mods, I do not have time to be fixing broken-ass amatuer coding. The game itself works just fine right now, so I refuse to tinker with it. Rancid Gertie will just have to wait.

I must admit I play the mod I co-develop.

To clear some things, we are trying to alwyas update the mod right after the release of newest beta, so when beta becomes stable, there should always be version of mod for "current" stable. All modules are developed to function with both ongoing campaign and new campaign aswell, also all modules can be removed at any time without corrupting the save game (since they only affect battle and modify only existing vanilla units, no new units or items are added).

Back
Top Bottom