corona? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

There was a video on the BBC website the other day in which a school board (or some such committee) was hearing people advocating for and against pupils wearing masks. The against crowd naturally had a nutter or two (thousand) among them; one who stepped up to the lectern said that if the board decided that pupils would have to wear masks, then 'they' would come for them in a non-violent way. Not at all intimidating, then! A man outside in his car was shouted at by bulging eyed men of a similar mindset, who said they would find him...then again America doesn't have a monopoly on this; a few weeks ago I saw footage of a BBC journalist, Nicholas Watt, being stalked by a very worked-up mob of screaming idiots among a crowd protesting against reality (Covid deniers or some such bollocks), because they considered him a liar who was helping the government oppress people with lies about the big scam, Covid. It looked very intimidating.

Doctors could have their licenses revoked if they spread dangerous disinformation about health. It's what happened to the original vaccines-cause-autism dude in the UK. Why isn't it happening with doctors that spread lies about Covid?

Plenty of people are using their online diplomas in humoral theory or whatever pseudoscience to represent themselves as medical professionals, and the average idiot watching their anti-vax vlog isn't going to check their actual credentials. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I know of a chiropractor who does exactly this.

But what if they wear a white lab coat and smile confidently?
This kind of fringe cons became mainstream for some reason. It's not funny now that people you know want to feed you ivermectin and conspiracies.

à propos

According to a recent analysis, the average rate of ivermectin prescriptions per week went from 3,600 prepandemic to a peak of 39,000 prescriptions in the week ending on January 8 of this year, when COVID-19 cases surged. Since early July, ivermectin dispensing has again surged along with COVID-19 cases, reaching more than 88,000 prescriptions in the week ending August 13, the CDC noted. That translates to a 24-fold increase from the prepandemic baseline.
With the drug booms came booms in poisonings. In January, poison control centers across the US received three times the number of ivermectin-related calls compared with the prepandemic baseline, the CDC reported. In July, ivermectin calls have continued to increase sharply, reaching a fivefold increase from baseline. The calls have also been linked to a rise in ivermectin-related emergency department and hospital visits.
Also:

Last edited:
Do not take that shot that is FDA approved, that's dangerous and made by big pharma. Take this horse medication instead, which is also made by big pharma and not FDA approved (which was absolutely a problem for the Pfizer vaccine before it was approved, but is just fine for this drug because there might be some preliminary results in petri dishes. But, the vaccines have not been tested enough, they are unsafe and who knows about long term consequences!1!!1).

This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but it absolutely terrifies me that these people vote and take part in the decision making process in their countries. At this point one might as well let children vote too.

Do not take that shot that is FDA approved, that's dangerous and made by big pharma. Take this horse medication instead, which is also made by big pharma and not FDA approved (which was absolutely a problem for the Pfizer vaccine before it was approved, but is just fine for this drug because there might be some preliminary results in petri dishes. But, the vaccines have not been tested enough, they are unsafe and who knows about long term consequences!1!!1).
"The political and economic elites are lying to the little man, trying to screw him over." It's a powerful narrative if you feel screwed and insignificant.
This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but it absolutely terrifies me that these people vote and take part in the decision making process in their countries.
Welcome to the club. The trick is to let people decide only about simple things they can understand, i.e. representative democracy.
By no means you are to ask them complex questions on referendums.

In 10 days night clubs in Denmark no longer have to check if people have a negative test or are vaccinated.
That marks the end of all covid restrictions in the country, where the disease is no longer categorised as "societally critical" (or whatever the term is).

Best part for me, as the number of unvaccinated people who contract COVID and die, the number of Trump supporters goes down.
I relate to that sentiment but I am trying really hard not to see it that way. A lot of these people are just victims of a swindler and they end up paying the ultimate price. I don't think that's really good for anyone.

We have a new public life regime since yesterday in Slovenia - you can't do almost anything without being vaccinated, have a confirmed recovery from Covid or a fresh test. The exceptions are the bare minimum for survival - food stores, pharmacies and emergency medical care (you still need to be masked).
The Covid numbers were getting out of hand already (at 25% positive tests) and the government decided over the weekend to activate the nuclear option (arguably on short notice - just 4 days in advance).
The anti-vaxxers are livid and got a large demonstration going last night (that turned violent mostly because football hooligans love demonstrations). Luckily no parliamentary politicians turn up on those demonstrations, but there are leftist parties trying to win (or keep) populist anti-vaxxer votes, particularly as they are in opposition to a hard-right government.

The vaccinations unsurprisingly rose quickly, particularly for the one-shot Janssen vaccine, which ran out. Hopefully we will reach some sensible coverage soon, our vac rate peaked at about 50% which is too low for any mass effect ( :iamamoron: ) against delta.

My thoughts about this is "finally". There's no sense any more talking to the vaccine-hesitant people who are information-resistant and love their Facebook conspiracies too much. We shouldn't let the unvaccinated hold us hostage and keep the epidemic going until most of them had the disease and everyone who could die died. And there's some fun in watching them squirm now.

My thoughts about this is "finally". There's no sense any more talking to the vaccine-hesitant people who are information-resistant and love their Facebook conspiracies too much. We shouldn't let the unvaccinated hold us hostage and keep the epidemic going until most of them had the disease and everyone who could die died. And there's some fun in watching them squirm now.
Good for you guys! A great dose of reason in the morning. Keep it up :smile:

Last edited:
Agreed, and high-key jealous, this **** should've been done in the states a year ago. Although I must admit the rioting/resisting would be way worse here. Every now and then some ****wad punches out a cashier or a teacher for requiring people to wear a mask, let alone getting vaccinated.

We have a new public life regime since yesterday in Slovenia - you can't do almost anything without being vaccinated, have a confirmed recovery from Covid or a fresh test. The exceptions are the bare minimum for survival - food stores, pharmacies and emergency medical care (you still need to be masked).
The Covid numbers were getting out of hand already (at 25% positive tests) and the government decided over the weekend to activate the nuclear option (arguably on short notice - just 4 days in advance).
The anti-vaxxers are livid and got a large demonstration going last night (that turned violent mostly because football hooligans love demonstrations). Luckily no parliamentary politicians turn up on those demonstrations, but there are leftist parties trying to win (or keep) populist anti-vaxxer votes, particularly as they are in opposition to a hard-right government.

The vaccinations unsurprisingly rose quickly, particularly for the one-shot Janssen vaccine, which ran out. Hopefully we will reach some sensible coverage soon, our vac rate peaked at about 50% which is too low for any mass effect ( :iamamoron: ) against delta.

Interesting that it's the left going for the antivaxxers, I don't think I ever heard that anywhere else. How do they reconcile with that position being supported by neofascists all over the world?

Also, I am honestly not happy that it's coming to this, but at this point there doesn't seem to be any choice. I talked to an MD I work with not to long ago and asked what she thinks is the best way to talk to people who keep refusing proper medical care. Her answer: "you don't, at this point everyone that could have been reached was reached. Those who still refuse it can not be talked into it at this point, all you can do is give them the best care you can compatibly with what they will accept." Except that this doesn't work for the vaccines where they are putting other people in danger by refusing them. What an absolute mess. I am surprised we are not extinct yet.

We have a new public life regime since yesterday in Slovenia - you can't do almost anything without being vaccinated, have a confirmed recovery from Covid or a fresh test.
We had that in Denmark for several months, with only minor protests (mainly coocoos and anti-vaccine proponents).
All restrictions are now lifted and vaccines are not mandated anywhere.
But I can see why people take offense in situations where vaccines are more or less becoming mandatory. It breaks a fundamental medical ethical principle of not forcing people to take medicine/vaccines against their will, unless they're deemed unfit to care for their own well-being/health (like psychosis, dementia etc.).
In recent years it has been necessary in some places to mandate that children attending day care e.g. have the measles vaccine. A sad development, partly because of vaccine misinformation. (But children are under adult authority (don't know the term in English)).

The big question is if this pandemic is so severe that forcing vaccines on people who don't want it, is considered necessary to save lives.
Does the severity of this disease justify abandoning the ethical principle of not forcing people to take medicine/vaccines against their will?
And where does it leave us with other vaccines? Should we to a higher degree force people to take the influenza vaccine - a highly deadly disease (except last year :smile: ). Or force old people to take vaccines against pneumonia (pneumococci) etc.?
It opens a door for governments to force prophylactic measures on the population as long as it can be argued it saves lives.

Back
Top Bottom