Editing Death Rate

Users who are viewing this thread

30% is too much, especially if it counts AI vs AI battles. You would soon have a ghost map.

That said, the combat AI needs to behave better (in terms of survivability) and not constantly attack only
It is not to much.
You know that the medicine tree has a perk, who reduces the death chances in battle by 50%(Cheat Death perk).

If they reduce the death in battle chance to 2%, no one will die, because they have a 98% survive chance and Calradia will be overpopulated with current birth rate.
And with the perk they then have 99% survive chance.

They should keep it with 10% or increases it to 25% and make the heroes care for their lifes.

I see people arguing over what % the death chance should be, but little about using a more deterministic approach rather than putting everything in the hands of RNG.
We have room for creativity here.

Here is one idea for example:
Each time a character is downed in battle they collect a "lasting injury" and if they collect too many of them they die.
Perhaps these "injuries" could also heal over a period of seasons or years, dependent on the age op the character.

This gives the player some choices when a clan member gets downed:
Keep them in the party and risk them dying.
Or put them in a town (maybe as governor) for a year or two until their "injury" is healed and they are no longer at risk of dying.

The AI could also make the same kind of risk assessment.
Keep injured lords safe until healed, or risk their death and deploy them so their clan/faction is at full strength in the war.

Anyway this is just an example, but my point is that we do not need to constrain ourselves to just a random % value.

Anyway this is just an example, but my point is that we do not need to constrain ourselves to just a random % value.
We don't, but TW hasn't offered a comment on anything other than the existing RNG system in the base game, alongside death due to execution, childbirth, stillbirth and old age.

30% is too much, especially if it counts AI vs AI battles. You would soon have a ghost map.

That said, the combat AI needs to behave better (in terms of survivability) and not constantly attack only
Consider these facts:
-AI wont be in battle as much as it does now.
-AI lords wont put themselves in the middle of the combat for no reason as it does now.
-New lords could be added with an additional feature like distinguised service mod's feature.
-AI and you would be retreating and surrendering a lot more. Rather than dying.

Consider these facts:
-AI wont be in battle as much as it does now.
-AI lords wont put themselves in the middle of the combat for no reason as it does now.
-New lords could be added with an additional feature like distinguised service mod's feature.
-AI and you would be retreating and surrendering a lot more. Rather than dying.

This will never happen though, not because it is not a good suggestion, but because it requires a lot of planning/designing/work from their part; especially the AI things. Emperor's suggestion is easier to implement but as @Apocal said, it is not viable. I will maintain my argument that 30% is too much for the AI to handle even with small changes to its combat AI (not campaign AI, etc.)

I will maintain my argument that 30% is too much for the AI to handle even with small changes to its combat AI (not campaign AI, etc.)
Correct, 10% is objectively too high, nevermind 30%.

at the 10% rate, I've had battania (I was a lord with them) dwindle to just a tiny handful of lords because so many of them kept dying in battles at a faster rate than kids replaced them, and that was just from player battles - Imagine how low it would go if death in battle was also enabled in AI VS AI battles as well. There's lords in battles CONSTANTLY all over Calradia, so the "low" death percentage chance very quickly adds up when all the battles are taken as a whole.

If death in battle was enabled at "just" 10% for AI vs AI battles as well as player battles, nevermind a ridiculous 30%, the world would quickly become a near lordless barren wasteland. I now have death chance modded to 2%, and deaths are still common enough - and again, that's only player battles and doesn't include AI vs AI battles as that's not enabled yet.

Current death rate is 10% though not 30%. While that might be relatively realistic death chance, number of large battles is not realistic at all, they should be roughly thousand times less common, I am pretty sure noone wants such scarcity. While more retreating and surrendering would be realistic I am of opinion that its not enjoyable for 99% of audience, so I think that current state when army breaks when it has some 30% men left is good compromise.

I now have death chance modded to 2%
Which console mod or command are you using please? Currently at 10% it is complete genocide and the player's faction (as well as the others that are often at war with it) are TOTALLY disappearing after a few years. During the great battles, it is 4, 5 or 6 lords who die each time and as they are frequent, it is completely abused and unbalanced for me.

thanks in advance and sorry for my english

Which console mod or command are you using please? Currently at 10% it is complete genocide and the player's faction (as well as the others that are often at war with it) are TOTALLY disappearing after a few years. During the great battles, it is 4, 5 or 6 lords who die each time and as they are frequent, it is completely abused and unbalanced for me.

thanks in advance and sorry for my english
He meant mod you have to code, if you want to do deep stuff in BL you need to know how to code in C# and how to mod with harmony (there are other ways I think but harmony is the most popular method ATM). Obviously you can do xml modding too, but that will restrict you to some 10% of basic stuff, for example death rate ATM is not in any xml only in the code of the game.

You missed the perfect opportunity to plug your mod :smile:

I use Realistic Battle Mod on the 1.6.2 Beta branch. lowering the death % chance to 2% is one of its features.
i-know-han-solo.gif

In case somebody wonders how to edit the death rate:

Download DnSpy. Open Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord > bin > Win64_Shipping_Client > TaleWorlds.CampaignSystem.dll

And then open: Taleworlds.CampaignSystem.SandBox.GameComponents.Map > DefaultPartyHealingModel > GetSurvivalChance

ExplainedNumber explainedNumber = new ExplainedNumber(character.IsHero ? 10f : 1f, false, null);

Replace the 10f with a higher number for lower death rate or lower number for higher death rate (20 = 5%, 5=20%)

Download DnSpy. Open Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord > bin > Win64_Shipping_Client > TaleWorlds.CampaignSystem.dll

And then open: Taleworlds.CampaignSystem.SandBox.GameComponents.Map > DefaultPartyHealingModel > GetSurvivalChance

ExplainedNumber explainedNumber = new ExplainedNumber(character.IsHero ? 10f : 1f, false, null);

Replace the 10f with a higher number for lower death rate or lower number for higher death rate (20 = 5%, 5=20%)
Also dont forget to redo this after every game patch.

Thank you very much for this tip.

Should we keep the "f"? Or just replace "10f" with a number without the "f"?
If I understand the logic correctly, for a 2% rate for example, we put "50f"?

Keep it so the system treats the number as a float and not as a double (it has to do with number precision). I do not know if the compiler will complain without it and/or if it will affect the result in this case (no C# knowledge unfortunately)

Left click onto the "10" (in my case it was 100 for 1% death chance), right click and then change the number (and don`t forget to save! :wink:):

Left click onto the "10" (in my case it was 100 for 1% death chance), right click and then change the number (and don`t forget to save! :wink:):

This has changed, now if I read correctly a 1 level starting non player character without any perks in medicine, enemy perks, if damaged has a guaranteed death, which I am not sure if intentional, because fair enough one has low chance to survive without medical help if seriously injured but not 0.

They have modified the initial value to
ExplainedNumber explainedNumber = new ExplainedNumber(character.IsHero ? 0f : 1f, false, null);
and later on the calculation as well( in my opinion some of it like subtracting explainedNumber.ResultNumber from explainedNumber.ResultNumber * 50f does not really changes much but whatever)

ExplainedNumber explainedNumber2 = new ExplainedNumber(1f / explainedNumber.ResultNumber, false, null);
to
if (character.IsHero)
{
explainedNumber.Add(explainedNumber.ResultNumber * 50f - explainedNumber.ResultNumber, null, null);
}
ExplainedNumber explainedNumber2 = new ExplainedNumber(1f / explainedNumber.ResultNumber, false, null);

What remains true is that if the initial value is higher, the hero has a better chance for survival, however that is no longer true that 100f is 1% and 50f is 2%. 1f would mean for a hero to have about 2% death chance without any perks at level 1, 2f would be about 1%. In case of 100 depending on later rounding it might be that no battle deaths occure.

Levels, medicine perks, enemy medicine perks (and in case of your clan members death chance do and d id alter these.)

for anyone wandering: (f means the data type float instead of the default integer feel free to put it there)

Back
Top Bottom