Does Bannerlord need more Time?

• I believe it needs more time.

• I believe it should stick to a schedule.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

This isn't something for the devs, rather this should be discussion aimed towards all of us, the players and community of Mount and Blade. I've seen lots of diverse differing demands and people unsatisfied with the current product or its end result. In the devs' defense, it is still early access and much of it is to be refined or added later on which I'm understanding of and they did work on the game and announced it at least 2012(nine years ago from the time of this writing). In the players' defense, a lot of it is really really half-baked. Like, early access singleplayer campaigned voiced lines half-baked. Jesus...

Bannerlord, especially with what we want, seems that it will be a very big game. TaleWorlds' plans of course are different from our vision of the game. And who can blame them? Some of us want it to be more like the mods in Warband, others want it to just be a better Warband in general and let the mods cover all that stuff we want anyway, while many others want it to go to a completely new direction and take inspiration from other games such as Total War or Crusader Kings. We all enjoy different aspects of Mount & Blade and I think the game, with its own proprietary engine is actually capable of all that to the point of beating games waaay out of its genre. Mount and Blade style is just that great and very modular.

I really think we can all be satisfied as players - however, I do not think we have enough time to complete all of this with the supposed release date of the 2nd Quarter of 2022.

I personally think it would be best to accept Bannerlord as a constantly developing game in persistent early access, where then instead of our frustration for the stuff and mechanics we want not being implemented, our frustration at the devs for not giving a release when it's practically done should be the key decider of when the game seems finished. This way, we'd all decide as a community if a persistent majority says "It's a full game, holy ****e. Stop with the early access bull.", there would be great confidence and support from us that may help mitigate risk and hesitancy from TaleWorlds(it is still a business after all).

We must accept that TaleWorlds is now a business and no longer an independent passion project made from some garage. They have to earn their pay and eat, so there will be corporate nuances that may dampen or compromise the passion or vision of a few.

I used to love certain companies for having so much passion and love for their games. DICE as my personal example with the Battlefield franchise, until they just started become a Call of Duty competitor and later almost indistinguishable from Call of Duty and vice versa(according to me anyway). They simply beacme corporate and lost their touch, partly because it was profitable for them to take that approach.

I think TaleWorlds is currently in a good position, but over time, as with most game companies, I think it will lose vision and passion. We, as a community, must safeguard that passion and vision but remember that we too can sap it away with our persistent annoying demands and singlemindedness without regard for the difficulties of game design and concerns of others from the roleplayers, to the multiplayers to the speed runners, the hardcore and the casuals. I really hope TaleWorlds doesn't go the way of other studios that became big and lose their touch, part of that responsibility lay in attempting to appease ungrateful original fans vs attractive fast money from lowest common denominators.

Enjoy the game for what it is, but always stay hungry that it can be better while considering what it takes to get there. I hope this discussion may offer an alternative for community feedback relations.

Too early to tell. We know features they've got in progress aren't yet in the beta.

They could have lots of things close to completion but not close enough for beta.

Effectively the answer should rather be that they should take however much time they need to create a release-worthy state, considering both their resource constraints and the quality and stability of the game. Then if they have spare time or resources, they can tack onto that accordingly.

They can always add things later, via updates or expansions depending.

We also probably shouldn't ignore that the world is kind of an insane place right now, and that isn't a non-factor. Video games are a nice escape but freaking out over delays in a video game when all kinds of supply chain issues and political and economic and climate problems are looming over us is kind of silly and ignorant.

Too early to tell. We know features they've got in progress aren't yet in the beta.

They could have lots of things close to completion but not close enough for beta.

Effectively the answer should rather be that they should take however much time they need to create a release-worthy state, considering both their resource constraints and the quality and stability of the game. Then if they have spare time or resources, they can tack onto that accordingly.

They can always add things later, via updates or expansions depending.

We also probably shouldn't ignore that the world is kind of an insane place right now, and that isn't a non-factor. Video games are a nice escape but freaking out over delays in a video game when all kinds of supply chain issues and political and economic and climate problems are looming over us is kind of silly and ignorant.
Oh uh yeah practically in agreement here. Just want to point out my thread was intentionally supposed to be in Citadel Bannerlord general, not Singleplayer. My bad.

Bad management and coordination from what is being said is definitely the core issue, which directly correlates to development itself being slow. Giving it more time to bake doesn't give it any justice if the underlying problem isn't resolved.

<3
This is from an honest outsider's perspective compared to the "in" established community, but I really disagree. Its performance, relative to other companies is exactly what I expected. Can you be more specific on these "bad management" and "coordination"? And in what time period? I'm sorry, but I really am forgiving of the years 2020-2021.

I honestly think the 2nd Quarter 2022 release date is actually a bad idea but it shows just how rapid or a really close deadline they gave themselves. Either they have too much confidence and overestimate their own experience which relatively speaking is miniscule to other major studios, or they're planning huge rollouts in the coming versions to finish their roadmap.

Nope, TW has the arcade (console) vision, some players have a "deep" vision. A lot of players say this is the game of the year. Modders will give me what I want for free, it´s sad but that´s how it is.

TW is on damage control mode.

Case closed.

It needs better management, not more time.
Wouldn't be the first game development company to have those issues.
In fact, that's the case with majority of the game dev companies I know of and worked with.
But it's also understandable, though it still hurts that most of them refuse to set goals they must achieve, before adding kinky features that benefit no one but hog the process, and cause unnecessary delays. Just my personal gripes.

And no. I don't think they should take more time to develop the game. The early access has dragged on long enough. They need to deliver on what they promised, without any more of the features being removed due to being too "complicated" to implement. In the first place, stripping the features they displayed in E3 was already a giant mistake. The explanations for their removal don't hold water, as well. It better not happen again. We also had some features displayed in the dev blogs that also never saw the day of light, which is again, very disappointing.

Early access is just semantics,they won't invest much more time and people in it, 90 % + of the game is already here.

We'll probably be saying that for the next 50 years until Bannerlord is declared to finally be ready.
Lets not exxaggerate here. It will take quite a while longer but at some point there wont be any players left. They have no choice but to try finish it in a rough time frame at least, if they want to have any kind of future for that game (and I am very sure they want).

Wouldn't be the first game development company to have those issues.
In fact, that's the case with majority of the game dev companies I know of and worked with.
But it's also understandable, though it still hurts that most of them refuse to set goals they must achieve, before adding kinky features that benefit no one but hog the process, and cause unnecessary delays. Just my personal gripes.

And no. I don't think they should take more time to develop the game. The early access has dragged on long enough. They need to deliver on what they promised, without any more of the features being removed due to being too "complicated" to implement. In the first place, stripping the features they displayed in E3 was already a giant mistake. The explanations for their removal don't hold water, as well. It better not happen again. We also had some features displayed in the dev blogs that also never saw the day of light, which is again, very disappointing.
Man you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm amazed when people say "oh let them have as much time as they need" and I'm like how do I get a job where no one is pressuring me to get **** done? It's pretty apparent they have no timeline for goals or if they do they don't feel confident that they can make them and that's why they refuse to give us a road map.

Man you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm amazed when people say "oh let them have as much time as they need" and I'm like how do I get a job where no one is pressuring me to get **** done? It's pretty apparent they have no timeline for goals or if they do they don't feel confident that they can make them and that's why they refuse to give us a road map.
yup, felled for that once, won't do it again lol

Back when they announced that Paradox wouldn't be TW's publisher anymore i gave all support to it "oh that's great, PDX would just pressure them into deadlines, let they develop their masterpiece for as long as needed and we'll get an amazing game" but man.. was i proven wrong. What TW really lacked from the start was pressure and clear deadlines, someone to take the reins and make things happen.

They seem to have had a bad base of development hell and only then someone took a hard stance to make the project see the light of day but then the damage was already done, corners had to be cut, designs simplified etc.

I don't remember which dev said it now but they didn't even had a clear and cohesive development project, they were more or less developing on demand, and then scraping and doing it all again when management had a change of heart instead of starting the project with everything "set in stone" and then just making it happen.

Back
Top Bottom