One-life mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyway one else a little worried that Taleworlds is not calling it Battle mode but rather “a new one-life mode”. I get the sense that it will not even be what we are expecting it to be. Idk maybe I’m just paranoid…

I swear to god if they try to make it like a Conquest gamemode like they did siege, Orion will have to give me my 4th Profile warning for "inappropriate language". Ima make the forum's censors work overtime

It might literally just be skirmish with 1 life. If you have enough money you get a good class, if you don't, you get what you can afford, that's it. They might make it that you start with 150 gold so you can either go a 120-150 class or 100 gold class and save up for 200 gold class in next round.

Battle Royale
That might just work and attract a lot of players. But I personally just want skirmish/battle with one life and ranked matchmaking and I'm pretty much set until the next M&B comes out, granted they will continue balancing the game, I don't even mind the constantly changing meta.

It might literally just be skirmish with 1 life. If you have enough money you get a good class, if you don't, you get what you can afford, that's it. They might make it that you start with 150 gold so you can either go a 120-150 class or 100 gold class and save up for 200 gold class in next round.
They've already basically confirmed this, with gold for kills as well.

Hey so just to clear things up, this is roughly what we have in mind for the battle mode design. I wont go into to much detail as some things are subbject to change. This is just to clear things up before this discussion goes off into to many directions.

We'll definetly only give players a single life per round. Otherwise your suggestion isnt to far of from what we had in mind:

Imagine Battle to be like one life Skirmish, but without the 12 player cap and with a “TDM like” gold system, that rewards you for your performance. Similar to M&B Warband, where you get gold for kills. In Bannerlord we expanded on this, so you'll not only get gold for kills, but also for assists and other things like staying alive. The amount of gold you get is dependent on the difference in value between yours and the opponents class. (You get more money for killing high value troops, and you'll get even more for doing it with a cheap class)

Your starting money and rewards are quite different to the current TDM model.

So you'll pretty much always be able to play most of the light and medium classes. If you want to play some elite class, you'll need to perform well to be able to afford it again, or perform ok but stay alive. It hinders the slippery slope you sometimes found yourself on in M&B Warband Battle, giving you loads of comback potential when playing cheaper troops (since you get more money and the opponents get less for killing you).

We hope this will lead to somewhat balanced teams, in terms of their troop composition.
Obviously some things can change but broadly it sounds fine. Just wish it would come quicker, the game needs a public server for this kind of game mode people can hop on and play.

It will use the same flag system as skirmish yeah (obviously with different timings).
Obviously it is still a work in progress but do you have any thoughts you can share on how the class-gold will work on this mode? Will it be similar to skirmish but just no respawns and different values?

Is it pretty much skirmish with just one life then? Or will it be larger-scale?
Yes it will be "larger scale". Up to the scale of siege and inbetween. We are not sure how we will roll itm out yet, but it will definitely find some use in Community Events, so they will decide the scales.

Obviously it is still a work in progress but do you have any thoughts you can share on how the class-gold will work on this mode? Will it be similar to skirmish but just no respawns and different values?
I am kinda going into it in the quote OGL has posted.
Imagine Battle to be like one life Skirmish, but without the 12 player cap and with a “TDM like” gold system, that rewards you for your performance. Similar to M&B Warband, where you get gold for kills. In Bannerlord we expanded on this, so you'll not only get gold for kills, but also for assists and other things like staying alive. The amount of gold you get is dependent on the difference in value between yours and the opponents class. (You get more money for killing high value troops, and you'll get even more for doing it with a cheap class)

Your starting money and rewards are quite different to the current TDM model.

So you'll pretty much always be able to play most of the light and medium classes. If you want to play some elite class, you'll need to perform well to be able to afford it again, or perform ok but stay alive. It hinders the slippery slope you sometimes found yourself on in M&B Warband Battle, giving you loads of comback potential when playing cheaper troops (since you get more money and the opponents get less for killing you).
So the unit prices will stay similar, but the way you earn gold is new. And it will give a new perspective to 1on1 fights, since you will get more money for killing some high tier troop. But yeah cant share many details still :sad:

Yes it will be "larger scale". Up to the scale of siege and inbetween. We are not sure how we will roll itm out yet, but it will definitely find some use in Community Events, so they will decide the scales.

So the unit prices will stay similar, but the way you earn gold is new. And it will give a new perspective to 1on1 fights, since you will get more money for killing some high tier troop. But yeah cant share many details still :sad:
Thank you - sounds very interesting; and obviously important for community events.

Are you able to tell us if there will different maps for this mode or will it utilize the map pool from skirmish mode?
Also thanks for the info that you have already shared NIN3

I wish the main screen queue would send people to the Battle mode by default. Having a scalable population size mode will mean no need to wait for 5mins (or perpetually in the case of NA). The 6v6 competitve modes should be the ones on the secondary screen IMO, with Siege and Battle being the main draws for bannerlord MP, and the modes tied to level/stats/skin unlocks etc.

Having Battle mode tied to the queue will also help turnover, try to start a match asap with at least (20 or 50 or whatever) players, if wait time exceeds 1 minute, send them to a match in progress with a big onscreen message telling them they will respawn when one team is defeated. This way if you have eg a 50v50 match, the first 50 who die can leave and start a new match, and any odd ones out will be filled into the oldest match to spectate until the next round rather than stare at the little patch notes horseman on the home screen.

Ideally the servers would also reset without kicking everyone, which at this point I think should be obvious how important that is for player retention and fostering an online community. This way if you are surviving to the end of most or all rounds, you can stay in the server as long as you want, and others who die early can quickly leave and jump into another match.

I think skirmish and captain modes have their place and are well designed to eliminate some of the boring aspects of 6v6 Battle, but its time to admit they cannot be the mainstay of MP. Large scale Battle and Siege mean more players can use fewer servers, scalable player counts mean no waiting an hour with 11/12 and no 3v3 matches in a mode designed and balanced around 6v6.

Last edited:

Nice, this sounds pretty interesting so far :smile:

On a similar note to what you've said, I think it'd be a great idea if you guys started hosting some more events, it could be a great way to reinvigorate some life into the game and provide some great player-developer interaction.

I wish the main screen queue would send people to the Battle mode by default. Having a scalable population size mode will mean no need to wait for 5mins (or perpetually in the case of NA). The 6v6 competitve modes should be the ones on the secondary screen IMO, with Siege and Battle being the main draws for bannerlord MP, and the modes tied to level/stats/skin unlocks etc.

Having Battle mode tied to the queue will also help turnover, try to start a match asap with at least (20 or 50 or whatever) players, if wait time exceeds 1 minute, send them to a match in progress with a big onscreen message telling them they will respawn when one team is defeated. This way if you have eg a 50v50 match, the first 50 who die can leave and start a new match, and any odd ones out will be filled into the oldest match to spectate until the next round rather than stare at the little patch notes horseman on the home screen.

Ideally the servers would also reset without kicking everyone, which at this point I think should be obvious how important that is for player retention and fostering an online community. This way if you are surviving to the end of most or all rounds, you can stay in the server as long as you want, and others who die early can quickly leave and jump into another match.

I think skirmish and captain modes have their place and are well designed to eliminate some of the boring aspects of 6v6 Battle, but its time to admit they cannot be the mainstay of MP. Large scale Battle and Siege mean more players can use fewer servers, scalable player counts mean no waiting an hour with 11/12 and no 3v3 matches in a mode designed and balanced around 6v6.

i really want battle mode to be in matchmaking too,

i hope taleworlds will change their mind when everyone is in a battle server and no one is using matchmaking bc they do not want to play skirmish

please do not be stubborn, if everyone wants to play battle mode please put it in matchmaking

It will use the same flag system as skirmish yeah (obviously with different timings).
@NIN3 @AVRC I am a bit concerned about the flag system. My main direction for MP is to build a clan scene similar to Warband but especially NW with organized battles and siege events.

I guess siege is ok as is, though I would prefer there to be fewer points and instead have them be staged to try to focus the fight in a particular area, such as a flag in the siege trenches, the next inside the outerwalls, then the courtyard, then inner walls and finally the keep. My problem with the current iteration is firstly how separated the fighting is between all the points, secondly all the back capping that occurs, and finally the lack of friendly fire though that is being worked on as I've been told a number of times.

However when it comes to battles among clans I don't know how I feel about having a flag system, especially with how it is implemented in skirmish which used to be my primary mode before it died, I have over 1000 wins in EA and about 300 in Beta so you know im not talking out of my ass about it. But my concern is that firstly the attention of the battle will be divided among multiple points, instead of having the large scale conflict and controlled chaos that is so enjoyable about these events. Also I would be furious if a battle ended in a loss to moral instead of a fight to the death.

Back
Top Bottom